It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

pi4t: Not forgetting Morrowind, though AFAIK you can only get it on Steam (or by disk, if you can find one).
McDon: Bit off-topic but Morrowind seems to be one of the most common PC games to find in game shop. Is that only around where I live?
I don't know. What's this 'game shop', and where can I download it?

...Wait, you mean there's shops in real life too? :)
not sure what you guys enjoyed so much about Driftwood. was pretty meh for me.
fartloud: not sure what you guys enjoyed so much about Driftwood. was pretty meh for me.
Seems you got the wrong game then. ;)

Anyway, it's not for everyone, that's why I recommended to try the demo first. But for those players who mostly enjoy exploration, adventure-style puzzles and conversations and a lighthearted tone, or tools to create your own campaigns with like NWN, Driftmoon is definitely worth a look. (The soundtrack is great, too, btw.)
Post edited March 03, 2013 by Leroux
Yeah on that list, Driftmoon.
fartloud: not sure what you guys enjoyed so much about Driftwood. was pretty meh for me.
We're talking about DriftMOON, not DriftWOOD, different games?
Post edited March 03, 2013 by F1ach
I can speak about Avernum. It's one of the greatest collection of RPGs ever. Although, the interface is pretty outdated, if you don't like playing outdated games, stay away from it. If you don't mind old graphics and interface - it's few hundres hours of fun.

But you should probably get Driftmoon.
johnki: Have about $15-ish to spend and am looking for an RPG. Mostly want to know if I missed anything that's not on this site but feel free to give glowing recommendations to anything on this site. :D

Already on my list that I'm thinking about:
- Teudogar
- Driftmoon
- Avernum Collection
- Exile Trilogy

Also had my eye on Battles of Norghan but the demo isn't working correctly and I don't think it's worth the risk.
Don't bother with Exile (if it is the same Exile that I think you are talking about). The early Avernum games are re-makes of those anyway.
AFnord: Don't bother with Exile (if it is the same Exile that I think you are talking about). The early Avernum games are re-makes of those anyway.
Yeah, I'm aware. I've played both Exile and Avernum way back when. Exile has a different feel to it.
Leroux: Yes, KotC is very combat-heavy, the story is simple and nothing special (but not bad either) and while the game offers enough free exploration, there aren't many sidequests, so in a way it's a bit sandbox and linear.
So I tried the demo and I really need to read up a bit more before trying again because I got my ass handed to me by just about everything. Including the bear.

Is there a campfire anywhere in the demo? I kept running out of mana but finding nowhere to rest.

EDIT: Seems there are a lot of votes for Driftmoon. Wish people would give a little more than "+1 for Driftmoon" to back it up though.

EDIT2: Totally forgot...in RPGs, I like:
- Some exploration.
- An interesting story (I can easily look past this if the gameplay is fun).
- Interesting characters.
- Challenging gameplay that doesn't easily get overwhelming. I enjoy making it to the top of the mountain but I am not one that will probably ever successfully climb Everest.
- A decent length (I'd say 30 hours or more for a decent length. Persona 3 FES was around 120! Might and Magic Worlds of Xeen is said to be around 400!).
- A decent amount of freedom. Doesn't have to be sandbox but I enjoy not being railroaded the way most of FFXIII is.
Post edited March 03, 2013 by johnki
If you want to give another JRPG a try, I'd recommend Dreamscape ($9.99 on Desura.) Don't remember if it was 30 hours for me, but it was definitely above 20, and I used a walkthrough when I got stuck. Definitely a lot of exploration in the game, it's almost a metroidvania hybrid given how many obstacles there are which become passable once you find the right item - it pays to write down the locations of all the boulders and the like blocking paths you come across to avoid painful searching later on :).

And unlike most JRPGs there are no random battles! It's more Chrono Trigger / Lufia 2's dungeons where you can see the enemies and can decide to try to avoid them / fight them later. And you can save at any time.

There's some replayability because of multiple difficulty levels. I played on the 3rd one, which was plenty challenging.

The only real issue I had about the game is that the story ends on a bit of a cliffhanger, and its not known if there will ever be a sequel.
Post edited March 03, 2013 by kalirion
johnki: So I tried the demo and I really need to read up a bit more before trying again because I got my ass handed to me by just about everything. Including the bear.

Is there a campfire anywhere in the demo? I kept running out of mana but finding nowhere to rest.
There definitely is at least one if not more, but I don't remember exactly where, sorry. :(

Like I said, the demo is much harder than most of the actual game because it lets you fight one tough battle after another in a short time and without resting in between, much more than the actual game does. I had much more fun with the beginning of the game than with the demo, beats me why the demo doesn't just let you play the beginning. (The demo content is exclusive, btw, those areas are not part of the full game.)

But I won't lie to you, in some places the game can be frustrating like that because of some questionable design decisions regarding the balance. On several occasions the game shuts you in in a hostile environment and you have to fight your way through until you find a campfire. Those situations wear your party down before boss battles and force you to be careful with your resources. That's why in this game the Crafting feats are very important, because they can help you out of a tight spot (out of spells? craft wands and scribe scrolls!). I don't like that approach very much personally, I find it annoying and stressing and it's one of the reasons why I took a break from the game despite finding it highly addictive and enjoyable for the most part.
Post edited March 03, 2013 by Leroux
Drakensang series. This series is very cheap right now and very worth it. Not super-indie or anything, but a great RPG.
(ref link included)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005OGYVKU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B005OGYVKU&linkCode=as2&tag=legeofleef-20

I am also impressed with the Spiderweb games (like Avernum and Avadon and Exile).
Leroux: But I won't lie to you, in some places the game can be frustrating like that because of some questionable design decisions regarding the balance.
Mostly the demo frustrates me because they drop me in the game with a party I didn't create and a ton of spells I'm unfamiliar with and then throw difficult fights at me. I was unable to kill the bear without at least one party member getting knocked unconscious or killed and by the time I was done with the fight, I'd have to use all of my healer/priest's mana to get everyone patched up again.

Hopefully, like you've said, the full game is less frustrating than that for me but the demo didn't sell me on it, really.
If you are looking for more of an immersive storyline than anything, that is also really flexible, as far as RPGs go: I recommend Planescape: Torment
I'm pretty sure OP already own PS:T since he's big fan of RPG.
If you are looking for everything you said + boobies, I would recommend getting The Witcher! If you want to play it right now, you can buy it for 10$. If youccan wait a bit for sales, I suspect you might be able to buy the 2 games for maybe 15$-20$ (can't remember past sales exactly).
Tallima: Drakensang series. This series is very cheap right now and very worth it. Not super-indie or anything, but a great RPG.
(ref link included)
What kind of RPG is Drakensang? I remember they made a very Diablo-like MMO.

wormholewizards: I'm pretty sure OP already own PS:T since he's big fan of RPG.
I actually don't. Knew I missed something. And I have missed that one quite a few times haha. Maybe I should go with that.

WireHead: If you are looking for everything you said + boobies, I would recommend getting The Witcher! If you want to play it right now, you can buy it for 10$. If youccan wait a bit for sales, I suspect you might be able to buy the 2 games for maybe 15$-20$ (can't remember past sales exactly).
Have em. They're awesome.
Post edited March 03, 2013 by johnki