It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

McDon: Wait Meeps were in Quest for Glory before Hero-U?
I should really play Quest for Glory before Hero-U is released.
Meeps were in the first one: Hero's Quest, later renamed Quest for Glory: So You Want to be a Hero. The original is EGA with a text parser. It was later rereleased with VGA and a Point n Click interface. Personally I like the original better because of the hilarious responses you get when you type in your questions, but if you don't like text, go for the remake.

Once you play the first one, though, you'll probably be hooked and play the other four, too. There's a reason the fans for QFG are so dedicated.
Gonchi: I don't think any of the gnomes in the games were very popular. There was some dislike of Ann Agrama and Yorick too. The Domovoi, the Leshy and Manu weren't popular either. Actually, the list is pretty long...
Yeah, I don't understand why they kept putting those in. The only thing they did well was ruining the mood.
Gonchi: I don't think any of the gnomes in the games were very popular. There was some dislike of Ann Agrama and Yorick too. The Domovoi, the Leshy and Manu weren't popular either. Actually, the list is pretty long...
Zeewolf: Yeah, I don't understand why they kept putting those in. The only thing they did well was ruining the mood.
I kinda liked Ann, and I didn't mind Yorick or even Keapon that much. It's really just Punny Bones that bothers me, and not so much because he's a gnome, more because in a game (not to mention series) that's full of hilarious characters, he's completely unfunny... *POTENTIAL SPOILERS, READ NO FURTHER IF YOU HAVEN’T PLAYED THE GAMES* ... and he teaches you "the ultimate joke"? And it makes Ad Avis burst into a fit of laughter?! No. Just... No. No! *SPOILERS OVER*

McDon: Wait Meeps were in Quest for Glory before Hero-U?
I should really play Quest for Glory before Hero-U is released.
I attached a screenshot. They never showed up again in the QfG series, but I expect we'll see their true colors in Hero-U.

Oh, they seemed kind and helpful enough, but I've always suspected an insidious nature behind their happy-go-lucky disposition. I mean seriously, look at that face, those intense eyes. Deep down you know it's just waiting for you to get close enough so it can wrap its paws around your throat and gnaw the nose off your face. And don't get me started on their tunnels, who knows just how deep and far they go, or where! Why, they might have very well burrowed below each and every one of our homes, where they wait quietly, spying on us, studying us, until they're ready...

... Or it could just be Sierra Adventure Gamer Paranoia.
Attachments:
meep.png (70 Kb)
Post edited November 24, 2012 by Gonchi
Zeewolf: Yeah, I don't understand why they kept putting those in. The only thing they did well was ruining the mood.
What mood is that? The games are known for being full of humour and puns, so I thought they fit the mood well.

I'd love to see a similar series with a more serious tone, but the moments of comedy really help to lighten it up a bit and make them more well rounded games, in my opinion.
dactylopus: What mood is that? The games are known for being full of humour and puns, so I thought they fit the mood well.
Naah, they really don't.

QfG 1 has funny descriptions of things and funny deaths, plus a couple of funny characters (Erasmus and Fenrus.. and maybe 'enry). The only time it becomes completely silly is right at the end, with Yorick. QfG 2 is pretty much the same. There are jokes, but the comedy elements never dominate the experience except in the magic store with Keapon Laffin. It sticks out. And, of course, it doesn't help that not a single joke or pun that gnome makes is funny. It's just not.

As for QfG 3, which I'm playing now, the tone is again generally serious. The theme is dead serious, it feels like an anti-war game. There are jokes, and there are some silly characters (a hippie? seriously?), but it doesn't feel like I'm playing a comedy. I haven't met any gnomes yet, though. I expect that if I meet one, he will once again believe himself to be the most funny person alive, and just like in real life, people with that opinion of themselves are usually just plain annoying.

Edit: Re. QfG 1, I should mention that my experience is with the original EGA one. The meeps didn't look quite so dreadful there, they just seemed like small furry things with pretty much nothing to say.
Post edited November 25, 2012 by Zeewolf
dactylopus: What mood is that? The games are known for being full of humour and puns, so I thought they fit the mood well.
Zeewolf: Naah, they really don't.

QfG 1 has funny descriptions of things and funny deaths, plus a couple of funny characters (Erasmus and Fenrus.. and maybe 'enry). The only time it becomes completely silly is right at the end, with Yorick. QfG 2 is pretty much the same. There are jokes, but the comedy elements never dominate the experience except in the magic store with Keapon Laffin. It sticks out. And, of course, it doesn't help that not a single joke or pun that gnome makes is funny. It's just not.

As for QfG 3, which I'm playing now, the tone is again generally serious. The theme is dead serious, it feels like an anti-war game. There are jokes, and there are some silly characters (a hippie? seriously?), but it doesn't feel like I'm playing a comedy. I haven't met any gnomes yet, though. I expect that if I meet one, he will once again believe himself to be the most funny person alive, and just like in real life, people with that opinion of themselves are usually just plain annoying.

Edit: Re. QfG 1, I should mention that my experience is with the original EGA one. The meeps didn't look quite so dreadful there, they just seemed like small furry things with pretty much nothing to say.
Are you kidding? You can "die" in QFG3 from smoking too much pot out of the hookah with Salim!!! And Sandford and Son try to sell you junk. Humor and puns have ALWAYS been a part of Quest For Glory.

Bt
Gonchi: And don't get me started on their tunnels, who knows just how deep and far they go, or where! Why, they might have very well burrowed below each and every one of our homes, where they wait quietly, spying on us, studying us, until they're ready...
You fear to go into those tunnels. The Meeps delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness... shadow and flame...
Gonchi: And don't get me started on their tunnels, who knows just how deep and far they go, or where! Why, they might have very well burrowed below each and every one of our homes, where they wait quietly, spying on us, studying us, until they're ready...
tarangwydion: You fear to go into those tunnels. The Meeps delved too greedily and too deep. You know what they awoke in the darkness... shadow and flame...
There are older and fouler things than Meeps in the deep places of the world...
I'm glad this project made it's funding goals, I was away all last week. Congrats.
Blackthorne519: Are you kidding? You can "die" in QFG3 from smoking too much pot out of the hookah with Salim!!! And Sandford and Son try to sell you junk. Humor and puns have ALWAYS been a part of Quest For Glory.
I'm not denying that humour is a part of the experience, I'm simply saying that it usually does not feel like I'm playing a comedy first and foremost, and even when it does there are times when it is successful at it (such as with Erasmus and Fenrus) and times where it is not. The gnomes and their puns are not funny, just stupid, and if you truly feel Keapon Laffin fits the general mood of QfG 2, then I wonder if we've played the same QfG 2.
Post edited November 26, 2012 by Zeewolf
I can see Zeewolf's point. QfG series was both serious and playful. The visual presentation of Kickstarter gave an impression that it will be a Pixar-like game.
While I agree that it might have discouraged some, I guess Coles realized their backers are those who played QfG. Meeps served as a reminder of that series for die-hard fans. Something similar happened with Broken Sword KS and its "Order of Goat". Goat jokes and references flooded everything. It certainly enchanted some backers but not all of them.

I guess it depends on if you have a soft spot for it or not.
Blackthorne519: Are you kidding? You can "die" in QFG3 from smoking too much pot out of the hookah with Salim!!! And Sandford and Son try to sell you junk. Humor and puns have ALWAYS been a part of Quest For Glory.
Zeewolf: I'm not denying that humour is a part of the experience, I'm simply saying that it usually does not feel like I'm playing a comedy first and foremost, and even when it does there are times when it is successful at it (such as with Erasmus and Fenrus) and times where it is not. The gnomes and their puns are not funny, just stupid, and if you truly feel Keapon Laffin fits the general mood of QfG 2, then I wonder if we've played the same QfG 2.
Right - I don't think QFG is a comedy, first and foremost, but an important element of the game is whimsy! I do think Keapon Laffin' fits the world of QFG2 - there are strange and fun things in Shapier. You have the Marx Brothers wandering about - in fact, "Groucho" sells you a "Used Saurus".... it's just a bit of whimsy in an otherwise serious tale. QFG has always been about that. Even shadows of Darkness had whimsy - and that was a dark tale!

Bt
Zeewolf: I'm not denying that humour is a part of the experience, I'm simply saying that it usually does not feel like I'm playing a comedy first and foremost, and even when it does there are times when it is successful at it (such as with Erasmus and Fenrus) and times where it is not. The gnomes and their puns are not funny, just stupid, and if you truly feel Keapon Laffin fits the general mood of QfG 2, then I wonder if we've played the same QfG 2.
Blackthorne519: Right - I don't think QFG is a comedy, first and foremost, but an important element of the game is whimsy! I do think Keapon Laffin' fits the world of QFG2 - there are strange and fun things in Shapier. You have the Marx Brothers wandering about - in fact, "Groucho" sells you a "Used Saurus".... it's just a bit of whimsy in an otherwise serious tale. QFG has always been about that. Even shadows of Darkness had whimsy - and that was a dark tale!

Bt
It's certainly not a comedy series, but comedy has always been present. And sometimes it is done better than others.

If you're not a fan of puns, you probably won't like a good deal of the humour. I have long enjoyed puns, perhaps because of the groaners my grandfather always tells. I love the name of the used saurus: Roget the Saurus. And yes, it was sold by one of the Marx Brothers (in fact, every game included a "cameo" of famous comedians beginning with the 3 Stooges in QfG1).

I think that this comedy has always been not just part of the experience, but one of the central elements in their style.
NECRO!!

If anyone is interested, here is an update:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1878147873/hero-u-rogue-to-redemption/posts/391697

They seem to be having the usual kickstarter/development issues. It also looks like they are expecting the development costs to be slightly higher than what they raised during the kickstarter so if you missed out, and you are interested in the game, check out their website and maybe pre-order.
I'll just leave a link here for the Mage's Initiation kickstarter.
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/2112639455/mages-initiation-a-classic-sierra-style-adventure

Nothing to do with Hero-U, but Quest of Glory fans will likely want to know. And no, I am NOT in any way affiliated with the developers.