It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Prepare to celebrate the event that will take place on 19th August 2021 with the special QuakeCon Sale on GOG.COM! Play games like Heretic + Hexen Collection (-70%), Quake 4 (-70%), and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (-70%) before the sale ends on 23rd August 2021, at 5 PM UTC.

Also, be sure to read our editorial about the Quake series from the past.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
Linko64: But i do agree, i live in hope we get a Wolf 2009 release.
OP_2021: Wolfenstein 2009 is an Activision Blizzard game, not Bethesda...
Quake 4 was also published by Activision and developed by Raven Software back in 2005, and it's now a Bethesda game.

With Wolfenstein 2009 there might be something more going on. Maybe it has some proprietary technology from Raven, and so Bethesda can't put it on sale. Or maybe Bethesda is simply not interested in it.
Whatever, it is, it's a shame. It's not the best Wolfenstein game, but imo it's still a good game.

Also Prey 2006...
bluethief: Quake 4 was also published by Activision and developed by Raven Software back in 2005, and it's now a Bethesda game.

With Wolfenstein 2009 there might be something more going on. Maybe it has some proprietary technology from Raven, and so Bethesda can't put it on sale. Or maybe Bethesda is simply not interested in it.
Whatever, it is, it's a shame. It's not the best Wolfenstein game, but imo it's still a good game.
Oh, your're right about Quake 4. Totally forgot about that it was published by Activision.
I don't know, why noone has interest to bring Wolf 2009 to digital stores. Maybe it is really like you wrote, some licenses or whatever behind the scenes.

bluethief: Also Prey 2006...
Oh, and Prey 2006. That is really an interesting shooter. It's more than a decade since I played the demo.

The demo can be still downloaded from different sites:
https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=12141
https://www.fileplanet.com/archive/p-62103/Prey-Demo
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/1064-prey-2006-demo/

... and many others.
OP_2021: Wolfenstein 2009 is an Activision Blizzard game, not Bethesda...
bluethief: Quake 4 was also published by Activision and developed by Raven Software back in 2005, and it's now a Bethesda game.

Also Prey 2006...
The problems with Wolf 09 are various, with some only theory. It's a Windows Live game that tends to mess up a lot of stuff in the process of making them run on modern systems. There's also the issues of ownership, now made even more tricky (i would assume) with the Microsoft purchase. Plus, the theory that Wolf 09 distorts the branding of modern Wolf.

As for Quake, i believe Quake IP was always tied up with ID, the spilt of Raven and Id didn't happen till much later after the release of Quake 4.

In short...Wolf 09 kinda sits as an example of preservation failures, IP ties ups and why piracy can enter grey areas
-Nachtmahr-: It's about time that we get Wolfenstein 2009
Seeing how nobody seems to be interested in untangling the rights issues involved, your best bet is to sail the digital seas... or hunt down a used physical copy.
Prey 2006 was originally published by Take-Two not Bethesda. The problem with this game is that it's nowhere to be found. I presume the legal situation of it is so complicated that no one is able to straight it out...
Post edited August 11, 2021 by Sarafan
BanditKeith2: Its more or less got a Resident Evil feel to it I'd say if you are looking for something Silent Hill like then go with a game called ''Daymare: 1998'' Which is on here too .. That or even the Alan Wake games as while they aren't near as much in my mind a Silent Hil feel it is there though with back to the Evil within game factor ... The game''the Evil within '' had Shinji Mikami who was creator of the Resident Evil series being heavily involved so its no wonder if has Resident evil vibes from the start easy to notice
Thanks for the info!
Sarafan: Prey 2006 was originally published by Take-Two not Bethesda. The problem with this game is that it's nowhere to be found. I presume the legal situation of it is so complicated that no one is able to straight it out...
Take-Two is not here for now...

Also please contact Activision about Wolfenstein 2009, Hexen II exp and heretic II
Post edited August 11, 2021 by FulVal
FulVal: Also please contact Activision about Wolfenstein 2009, Hexen II exp and heretic II
Actually I'm not a GOG employee (community moderators do their job voluntarily), but I'm sure the GOG team does what it can to bring those and other games to the store. Sometimes it's not that easy to convince big publishers to sell particular games here unfortunately.
OP_2021: Oh, and Prey 2006. That is really an interesting shooter. It's more than a decade since I played the demo.

The demo can be still downloaded from different sites:
https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=12141
https://www.fileplanet.com/archive/p-62103/Prey-Demo
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/1064-prey-2006-demo/

... and many others.
There's a shop where you can still get a Steam key for Prey very cheap. Unfortunately is a grey key seller.
Linko64: The problems with Wolf 09 are various, with some only theory. It's a Windows Live game that tends to mess up a lot of stuff in the process of making them run on modern systems. There's also the issues of ownership, now made even more tricky (i would assume) with the Microsoft purchase. Plus, the theory that Wolf 09 distorts the branding of modern Wolf.

As for Quake, i believe Quake IP was always tied up with ID, the spilt of Raven and Id didn't happen till much later after the release of Quake 4.

In short...Wolf 09 kinda sits as an example of preservation failures, IP ties ups and why piracy can enter grey areas
And add to that Bethesda created the other Prey, made by Arkane. If Prey is to continue, I believe it'll be a sequel to the 2017 one.

Also, at the time there was bad blodd between Bethesda and Human Head Studios, thus Prey 2 was cancelled. Ironically the former Human Head devs are now owned by Bethesda, under the Roundhouse Studios.
Sarafan: Prey 2006 was originally published by Take-Two not Bethesda. The problem with this game is that it's nowhere to be found. I presume the legal situation of it is so complicated that no one is able to straight it out...
Technically it was published by 2K. However, the IP belongs to Bethesda (and now Microsoft).
FulVal: Take-Two is not here for now...

Also please contact Activision about Wolfenstein 2009, Hexen II exp and heretic II
Take Two is the parent company of 2K, Rockstar Games and Private Division. Both 2K and Private Divison have games on GOG.

Heretic II, IIRC, has its rights split between id and Raven/Activision, and since they haven't come an agreement, the game cannot be sold.
Post edited August 11, 2021 by bluethief
bluethief: Technically it was published by 2K. However, the IP belongs to Bethesda (and now Microsoft).
You're right! It was 2K to be precise. The IP rights are probably not that crystal clean however, because the game is nowhere to be sold at this moment. I doubt that Bethesda doesn't want to sell this game in digital distribution. They probably just can't do it...
Post edited August 11, 2021 by Sarafan
bluethief: There's a shop where you can still get a Steam key for Prey very cheap. Unfortunately is a grey key seller.
I have it on disc. It works perfectly on W7-10 with full widescreen support available in a simple .ini tweak, and if you apply Patch v1.4, the disc version becomes DRM-Free.
bluethief: Technically it was published by 2K. However, the IP belongs to Bethesda (and now Microsoft).
Sarafan: You're right! It was 2K to be precise. The IP rights are probably not that crystal clean however, because the game is nowhere to be sold at this moment. I doubt that Bethesda doesn't want to sell this game in digital distribution. They probably just can't do it...
I remember reading an article, some years, ago that said that Prey 2 was being developed bu Human Head and was to be published by Bethesda. However, the latter tried to make an hostile takeover of the former. It didn't work, Prey 2 was cancelled and they parted ways.

Bethesda retained the IP. Then they went to reboot the series via the 2017 Prey.

With this in mind, I believe it's not an IP rights problem, because that clearly belongs to Bethesda. And Bethesda might not had any interest in putting the original Prey on sale because of what happened with Human Head. And since they also made a reboot, even less reasons to do so (it also could probably confuse people because they have the same name but are two completely different games).

Now Bethesda owns Human Head (now called Roundhouse Studios), so in theory it should be easier to make the game available again. However, I doubt they're interested in it. IMO, Prey 2017 is what they see as the real Prey. And 2K might retain some licence over Prey 2006, being it via some technology used in the game and/or publishing rights, so Bethesda would have to negotiate with them.

Whatever the reason, it's a shame. Prey 2006 was a great game and the cancelled sequel had lots of potential.
bluethief: There's a shop where you can still get a Steam key for Prey very cheap. Unfortunately is a grey key seller.
AB2012: I have it on disc. It works perfectly on W7-10 with full widescreen support available in a simple .ini tweak, and if you apply Patch v1.4, the disc version becomes DRM-Free.
That's cool. I have the Steam version and played it very recently and only had to that .ini tweak. It's still a great game.
Post edited August 11, 2021 by bluethief
Just a bit of side info: I punched the key that was printed in the manual of my stone-old retail version into Steam and it actually gave me a copy on Steam. So if any of you still have the old retail version of Prey and crave for a digital copy, you might want to try to activate the CD key via Steam.
GOG.com: Prepare to celebrate the event that will take place on 19th August 2021 with the special QuakeCon Sale on GOG.COM! Play games like Heretic + Hexen Collection (-70%), Quake 4 (-70%), and Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus (-70%) before the sale ends on 23rd August 2021, at 5 PM UTC.

Also, be sure to read our editorial about the Quake series from the past.
Nice try. But I still will not buy DOOM 3: BFG Edition. Offer the original DOOM 3, please. Steam, for example, has it.
When law becomes chaos...