It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Under the domes.

Surviving Mars is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com. Pre-order to get a Stellaris-themed dome set in-game.
It's hard to call it "the red planet" anymore. Thanks to some ingenious work on the infrastructure, the domed retro-futuristic settlements are ticking away happily, providing not only sustenance but also plenty of quality entertainment to your colonists. Except when a dust devil hits. Or a meteor shower. Or when a bunch of mysterious alien spheres starts hovering outside the domes. Well, time to put your crisis management skills to good use!

Grab the Deluxe Edition for the digital Art Book, a wallpaper, and several in-game rewards, or go for the First Colony Edition which also includes the game's Season Pass.
badon: You could accidentally cause Earth to be ejected from the solar system. That's very, very bad.
HeathGCF: Just to get that level of badness clear in my mind, is that as bad as running out of paper in an outside toilet that's miles from anywhere, or worse?
Worse. The Earth's atmosphere will get cold enough to condense into liquid lakes, and later it will freeze solid. Interstellar space is very cold, and you will definitely run out of toilet paper there.
Themken: What would be the first step in terraforming Ḿars? Bombard it with asteroids to increase the gravity enough for it to hold an athmosphere?
durandl: That wouldn't do anything considering the entire astroid belt has only a fraction of the mass of our moon. So not a lot of gravity there. But bombarding is one of a possible step. Because it would heat up the atmosphere considerable plus you would need much needed elements to the atmosphere. But the biggest problem Mars has is the missing magnetic field. Without one all you could do is create a temporary atmosphere that would slowly strip away again by the suns radiation.
I thought the whole point of dumping water-containing astral bodies (presumably from the Kuiper belt) right into Mars' surface was to provide gasses to establish some level of atmosphere, with the energy coming from the impact itself.

Last I read a popular-science take on it, doing it with sufficient frequency would assure atmospheric stabilization. But I'm not a planetary scientist, so...
Post edited March 02, 2018 by Lukaszmik
durandl: That wouldn't do anything considering the entire astroid belt has only a fraction of the mass of our moon. So not a lot of gravity there. But bombarding is one of a possible step. Because it would heat up the atmosphere considerable plus you would need much needed elements to the atmosphere. But the biggest problem Mars has is the missing magnetic field. Without one all you could do is create a temporary atmosphere that would slowly strip away again by the suns radiation.
Lukaszmik: I thought the whole point of dumping water-containing astral bodies (presumably from the Kuiper belt) right into Mars' surface was to provide gasses to establish some level of atmosphere, with the energy coming from the impact itself.

Last I read a popular-science take on it, doing it with sufficient frequency would assure atmospheric stabilization. But I'm not a planetary scientist, so...
Yes that's a theory too. The thing about terraforming is that there are many ways to do it, in theory. The problem with Mars is that it cannot hold an atmosphere on it's on, that's what MAVEN and all the other Robots we sent there has shown us. And Mars had an atmosphere just like Earth and Venus, Mars was even very similar to Earth a few billions years ago. But it is not the gravity, as Themken mentioned but the missing magnetic field.

Regarding the water, that is always a necessary step but Mars has quite a lot of frozen water. We have found enough places that look very promising so we wouldn't need to bombard the planet with water ice. But we need energy to "activate" the resources that are already there. That's why asteroids are more "practical" they have a higher mass then comets, and more mass means more energy, and of course they are much closer. You could on the other hand just nuke the planet with lots of nuclear bombs, basically the same thing, but it would be more difficult to pull off. We basically need a possibility to control nearby asteroids and that's what will happen at some point. Asteroids are the number one source for all kinds of resources, especially when we start to colonize the solar system.
durandl: Yes that's a theory too. [..]
Thank you for the elaborate explanation. Now I'm tempted to spend the rest of the evening searching the intertubes for appropriate articles, you bastard! :)
durandl: [Nuke Mars]
I'm torn. While this would be a way to get rid of at least some of those bloody things it might also raise some uncomfortable questions with other space-faring civilizations in the future... Also radiation.
high rated
durandl: [Nuke Mars]
HeartsAndRainbows: I'm torn. While this would be a way to get rid of at least some of those bloody things it might also raise some uncomfortable questions with other space-faring civilizations in the future... Also radiation.
Well the thing about radiation from those nukes it's kinda relative. The daily radiation on Mars is already quite high since it has not protection against the Suns radiation, to speak of. And if an asteroid collides with Mars the energy release will be a lot more than that of the biggest nuke we got, in fact if an asteroid of only a few kilometers diameter hits Earth it will be same as if a few million nuclear weapons will be detonates simultaneously. Of course it depends on the angle and where it hits. Tunguska is a pretty scare example of what can happen, and that was not even a direct hit, basically a crash landing.

Oh and you are welcome ;) There is a good site that has a lot of infos about all things universe, called Universe Today. They have written an extensive amount of articles on terraforming too.
Post edited March 03, 2018 by durandl
ohh, uuuh, interesting title. There will be like, for instance, let's say, in Age of Wonders III, dlc's that you will sell apart here on GOG while Steam users get a whole package for 60% less even years after the final release?

No, thanks, no more Paradox way to make things for me. A shame, a company that always releases interesting games, but your way is not for me. I will miss you (the developer, mostly), but i don't like to be treated like a 2nd class citizen. More honest approach to your customers and players, and probably a lot of us will be back. Until then...
Looking forward to this... what time it releasing?
Bigs: Looking forward to this... what time it releasing?
As of this posting, 48 minutes ago:

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_surviving_mars_315d0

Hope this helps