It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

To hell with you, Mr. Pinstripe.

<span class="bold">Pinstripe</span>, a devilishly atmospheric adventure through a troubled man's personal hell, is now available for pre-order, DRM-free on GOG.com with a 10% pre-order discount!

What does Hell look like to an ex-minister who's come here looking for his kidnapped daughter? Armed only with a slingshot and constantly tormented by the demonic Mr. Pinstripe, father Teddy will keep spiraling deeper and deeper into a nightmare as menacing as it is enchanting.

The 10% discount will last until the game's expected release on April 25.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/iItA8X8-xa8
Post edited April 24, 2017 by maladr0Id
low rated
Breja: I was about to say "never heard of it but looks interesting" and then I noticed "performances from YouTube legends PewDiePie" and all my interest immediately died. Although I guess the devs should be congratulated for such a realistic portrayal of hell.
CharlesGrey: Why is this such a big deal? I've never watched a single PewDiePie video, so whether or not he has a ( voice acting ) cameo in this game makes absolutely no difference to me. Worst case some of the voice acting will be annoying, but that's a problem many games have, and is not enough to ruin the experience if it's otherwise a good game. ( And this game does look kinda cool. )

It's like that drama with Yooka-Laylee and John-Tron ( ? or whatever his name is ), except in reverse. How about we all focus more on the games again, and less on all the "youtube celebrity" drama?
The point is exactly that I am tired of "youtube celebrities". I don't want them in my games too. I'm a grumpy guy, and despite my age I'm very "get off my lawn"- I admit that. I'm kinda fed up with internet drama sitrred up by some youtubers constantly taking over gaming related news and discours, with annoying let's players dictating which games get to be succesfull, with games being made "for streaming" etc. So when I see a game full of youtuber cameos, it annoys me. And even if it doesn't really have much of an impact on the game itself, with the backlog I have and over 60 games on my wishlist I get to be as picky as I want. In fact, I downright NEED to be picky, to narrow things down.

Mind you, I didn't mean to start some anti-Pinstripe revolt :D
Post edited April 04, 2017 by Breja
high rated
Smannesman: Seriously, they edited the description to remove the annoying Youtuber's names?
DoraAreGames: Hi there! Based on the reaction, we were concerned that people's interpretations of these people being credited prominently as they were meant they have a larger role than they do, rather than the small, short cameos (as NPCs... they're not "playing themselves"!) that pop up from time to time. These were bits done as a personal favor to the developer, Thomas Brush, and not done to promo and endorse any of the YouTuber content or personalities, so the intent was always to have a game where fans might play and go "Heeeeeey... that kind of sounded like... " and check the credits to be sure, rather than something riding on big names. As a result, it made more sense to us to make the description accurately reflect that. :)
You do realize that this looks a bit like "Oh shit, people don't like one of our major selling points, better try to hide it so nobody else notices", right?

Honestly, you're in a bit of a catch-22 here. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Still, you need to take into account where you are. This is GOG. There are more grumpy old gamers here than anywhere else online. DRM, DLC, Pre-Orders, YouTube Celebrities, Facebook Integration and other similar features of parts of the modern gaming world are frowned upon a lot more here than in most other places.
high rated
Wishbone: You do realize that this looks a bit like "Oh shit, people don't like one of our major selling points, better try to hide it so nobody else notices", right?

Honestly, you're in a bit of a catch-22 here. Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Still, you need to take into account where you are. This is GOG. There are more grumpy old gamers here than anywhere else online. DRM, DLC, Pre-Orders, YouTube Celebrities, Facebook Integration and other similar features of parts of the modern gaming world are frowned upon a lot more here than in most other places.
We understand how it looks, and how it's being received. For me, it's best to simply explain what we were thinking and why, and let you guys draw your own conclusions. :)
high rated
Breja: The point is exactly that I am tired of "youtube celebrities". I don't want them in my games too. I'm a grumpy guy, and despite my age I'm very "get off my lawn"- I admit that. I'm kinda fed up with internet drama sitrred up by some youtubers constantly taking over gaming related news and discours, with annoying let's players dictating which games get to be succesfull, with games being made "for streaming" etc. So when I see a game full of youtuber cameos, it annoys me. And even if it doesn't really have much of an impact on the game itself, with the backlog I have and over 60 games on my wishlist I get to be as picky as I want. In fact, I downright NEED to be picky, to narrow things down.

Mind you, I didn't mean to start some anti-Pinstripe revolt :D
I don't really want or need them in the games I play, either, much less so any drama that comes with it. But to me they aren't celebrities, just random dudes like most voice actors, since I don't watch any of their videos and half of the time never even heard of them before. I wouldn't recognize them at all. So to me it's very much a non-problem, and it only becomes one if people actually keep track of all the latest interbutts celebrity gossip.

And for better or worse small game developers are dependent on these popular streamers/ LetsPlayers ( is that a word? ) to get their name out there. With the flood of Indie releases, it just isn't enough to merely make a good game, if no one knows of its existence. That may be a bad situation, but it is what it is, and it doesn't seem fair to blame the devs for it.
DoraAreGames: We understand how it looks, and how it's being received. For me, it's best to simply explain what we were thinking and why, and let you guys draw your own conclusions. :)
You work for the publisher, right? For what it's worth, thanks for taking the time to show up in the release thread.

Personally I think the game looks interesting, and I'll give it a closer look once it's properly released.
Post edited April 04, 2017 by CharlesGrey
Wishbone: You do realize that this looks a bit like "Oh shit, people don't like one of our major selling points, better try to hide it so nobody else notices", right?
Sure a lot of mature people don't like Pewdiepie, because it's a fictional character created for 10 year olds. Youtubers act you say? Yes. 99.99% of them. I'm sure a lot of mature people as well can judge whatever the hell other fictional character Felix Arvid Ulf Kjelberg (what a name) he acts for in this game on his own merits.
As for why it's marketed with: "It has pewdiepie in it" - The reason is people are fucking stupid and can't remember the names of actors so it's always "directed by the guy who made fast and furious, written by the guy who made coraline, etc." instead of the real names in movies also.

TL/DR: Let's wait and see until the game is actually out. Looks fun so far.
Post edited April 05, 2017 by AlienMind
low rated
Looks like the tide is turning, they my want to editi the youtubers back into the description :D
high rated
I haven't posted here for quite some time, but seeing this undeserved negative overreaction to a bunch of cameo voice over lines taking focus away from a very interesting looking game is just sad. How about we focus on things that matter like gameplay and story (for me atleast) instead of writing it off completely because it features voice work from some youtubers.

Here I would like to highlight that this game is an artistic endeavor of a single person "Thomas Brush" and not a team of devs, the guy has been working on it for the past 3-4 years and the least we can do is give the game a fair chance instead of it being overshadowed by how much people despise certain youtube personalities.

For anyone actually interested to know more about the game itself here is a short "making of" clip that piqued my interest in "Pinstripe" and wowed me when I learned that all of this work was done by one highly dedicated individual.

The Making of Pinstripe</span>
high rated
Breja: I'm kinda fed up with internet drama sitrred up by some youtubers
I get that... yet your reaction is to stir more drama.
I realize that wasn't your intention, but the irony is too obvious to ignore.

Breja: Looks like the tide is turning, they my want to editi the youtubers back into the description :D
I don't think you understand. People on GOG just don't care if it has Pewdiepie doing voice acting or not. They're not downrepping those who don't like Pewdiepie, they're downrepping posts that actually treat it as if his celebrity status had any weight and create drama based on that.

I agree with everything CharlesGrey said. It wouldn't make any difference if the announcement said the NPCs are voiced by Albert Schmucklefritz instead. I'm pretty sure most goggers think like that. (I don't have data to back this claim, tho.)

Back on topic, I like the art but I don't think it's my kind of game. I'll still check it out once it is released. If it is good I might buy or maybe wishlist it - regardless of who is or isn't doing voice acting.
Post edited April 05, 2017 by joppo
shouldn't there be 9 levels of hell though?
Breja: I'm kinda fed up with internet drama sitrred up by some youtubers
joppo: I get that... yet your reaction is to stir more drama.
All I did was say what my reaction to the new release was. And really, I wouldn't call any of this drama. Some people agreed, others did not, everyone remains civil...

Breja: Looks like the tide is turning, they my want to editi the youtubers back into the description :D
joppo: I don't think you understand.
I only meant to make a joke about the way the publisher seems to have overreacted. Didn't mean anything more by it, and I certainly don't care whether my post was upvoted or downvoted by an angry mob.

I think this really isn't my day for public speaking :D

joppo: I agree with everything CharlesGrey said. It wouldn't make any difference if the announcement said the NPCs are voiced by Albert Schmucklefritz instead. I'm pretty sure most goggers think like that.
Well, at the risk of stirring even more "drama"- I actually think they should. Ok, this case may be so minor it's irrelevant, but in general, the tendency to give work that should go to actual voice actors to celebrities instead is a real issue. I've seen actors speaking out about it, notably Kevin Conroy of Batman TAS fame. Truly good voice acting takes talent and well honed skill, and producers giving the jobs to celebrities insteads are killing that craft, and the quality of the works produced.
Post edited April 05, 2017 by Breja
Breja: I think this really isn't my day for public speaking :D
I see. Oh well, we all have our days when what we mean and what people take from our words are far from a match.

It's alright. We are fellow cheddar monks after all. :)

joppo: I agree with everything CharlesGrey said. It wouldn't make any difference if the announcement said the NPCs are voiced by Albert Schmucklefritz instead. I'm pretty sure most goggers think like that.
Breja: Well, at the risk of stirring even more "drama"- I actually think they should. Ok, this case may be so minor it's irrelevant, but in general, the tendency to give work that should go to actual voice actors to celebrities instead is a real issue. I've seen actors speaking out about it, notably Kevin Conroy of Batman TAS fame. Truly good voice acting takes talent and well honed skill, and producers giving the jobs to celebrities insteads are killing that craft, and the quality of the works produced.
That's a good point you raised, and one I kinda agree with. I just have no reason to dislike Pewdiepie or these other webcelebrities so far, because I never watched their videos and I'm not going to watch one just so I can find reasons to join the hate train.
I'm kinda lost on the description, vis a vis the voice acting. Everything else on the game page makes me think this is a dark and serious game. Then we get to the bottom: "Features a hilarious cast of... "

Trying to figure out how hilarious ties in with the game as described.
Breja: I was about to say "never heard of it but looks interesting" and then I noticed "performances from YouTube legends PewDiePie" and all my interest immediately died. Although I guess the devs should be congratulated for such a realistic portrayal of hell.
CharlesGrey: Why is this such a big deal? I've never watched a single PewDiePie video, so whether or not he has a ( voice acting ) cameo in this game makes absolutely no difference to me. Worst case some of the voice acting will be annoying, but that's a problem many games have, and is not enough to ruin the experience if it's otherwise a good game. ( And this game does look kinda cool. )

It's like that drama with Yooka-Laylee and John-Tron ( ? or whatever his name is ), except in reverse. How about we all focus more on the games again, and less on all the "youtube celebrity" drama?
I can't speak for others, but for me, I have watched Pewdiepie videos, and I don't like the voices he does. My reason for not wanting this game isn't because he is a douche, but because his voices suck.

Having said that, I think if people don't want to buy this game because one of the people involved is a douche, that's the free market and if you don't like the reason why they don't want to buy the game, then good for you.
Post edited April 05, 2017 by htown1980
DoraAreGames: We understand how it looks, and how it's being received. For me, it's best to simply explain what we were thinking and why, and let you guys draw your own conclusions. :)
Which, when all is said and done, is probably the best way to handle it :-)
high rated
Thanks for all the comments!
Post edited April 05, 2017 by atmosgames