It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Chacranajxy: Y'all wanna talk about some horse shit?
Mr.Mumbles: Talk about arbitrary decision-making. "Yup. We had no problem with your 5 previous games, but your latest didn't pass muster for (inexplicable) reasons." The whole 'angle from our user-base' bit couldn't sound any more like a generic non-answer. TIS-100 and Shenzon I/O were never going to sell like hotcakes yet GOG still thought them "worthy" of release, but Opus Magnum which is much more likely to have broader appeal doesn't cut it now? Bullshit all the way home. The only good reason would be quality concerns which don't appear to exist, judging from all the user reviews.

The winter sale may just end up being one of my last splurges on GOG. It's time for me to reevaluate how I spend my gaming money and who actually deserves it. For the time being I shall simply focus on my backlog.
The absurdity of it is that we are the user-base, have vocalized the demand for the game, and still aren't given the privilege of buying it here.
Another Zachtronics games. So far I've loved all their games (to varying degrees), so I'll have a lookout for it later.
fr33kSh0w2012: Since when did GOG get infected with LIEberal LEFTIES!
SirPrimalform: Can't tell if satire or insane.
Based on user's posting history -- the latter.
SirPrimalform: Can't tell if satire or insane.
HunchBluntley: Based on user's posting history -- the latter.
:S
All Zachtronics seems to do is create hit games. Looks like this is another one. Usually I see why GoG might consider a game a bad fit, but I don't see any reason why this game could possibly be rejected. It's not price point given some recent releases. I doubt the recent set of games would sell as well as this one. C'mon GoG! They want this game here. It's a critical success. Your users want it too. Bring it!
Zachtronics already has 5 games on GOG, and this one is arbitrarily not allowed here? Very disappointed in GOG's approach to "curation".
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/7ognoc/gog_declined_to_sell_opus_magnum_because_it_did/

It hit the front page of r/games, which may encourage GOG to respond, if they think damage control is needed.

EDIT: Would the rejection have something to do with how integrated the game seems to be into Steam? Achievements, Workshop, Cloud Leaderboards, level editor
Post edited January 06, 2018 by tfishell
low rated
Chacranajxy: The absurdity of it is that we are the user-base, have vocalized the demand for the game, and still aren't given the privilege of buying it here.
Assuming you are talking about the forum users, we are not the user-base. We are a minority of the user base.
This thread about Opus Magnum has less than 150 posts in it. The wishlist for Opus Magnum has less than 600 votes. Even assuming all of them are different users and everyone would be buying 2 copies of the game on release, that comes out to ~1.5K copies. If that is the number of copies a Zachtronics game sells on GOG, then yes, it may not be worth it, no matter the game's quality.
high rated
What's silly is how you seem to constantly stand up for GoG lately...

600+ votes on the wishlist in this short a span of time IS significant...
The publicity on forums like Reddit and the almost universal support for the game is significant as well...

And throwing out misleading numbers trying to outright dismiss this thread while implying that forum users are just insignificant and should never be listened to constitutes cherry picking. What is more likely true is that given the popularity of Zachtronics games; the number of users in this thread who support this game; the number of users who support it on the wishlist; the number of people who support it on Reddit and the Steamspy release numbers added together suggests that there is significant interest in the game. And this would very likely include the silent majority. How else does one measure such a silent majority anyway?

I really don't see the point in your post "raining on the parade".

tfishell: EDIT: Would the rejection have something to do with how integrated the game seems to be into Steam? Achievements, Workshop, Cloud Leaderboards, level editor
I would imagine that would have been at least mentioned as part of the rejection as opposed to GoG's "not fit for our user base".
Post edited January 06, 2018 by RWarehall
tfishell: EDIT: Would the rejection have something to do with how integrated the game seems to be into Steam? Achievements, Workshop, Cloud Leaderboards, level editor
there is already (have been for a while) a DRM free 'non-steam' version on Humble

For the discussion - a reason I can see for the rejection is that TIS-100 and Shenzen I/O may not have sold very well here, which makes gOg more reluctant to have Zach's next game. But however, they where the very definition of niche while Opus Magnum is much more accessible and have a broader appeal, so I fear it may have rejected without being actually tested. Lack of sales of the earlier titles do explain the userbaser comment.
Post edited January 06, 2018 by amok
Compare this game to the recent releases:

Cold Waters
Release date: Jun 5, 2017
Price: $39.99
Score rank: 51% Userscore: 82% Old userscore: 82%
Owners: 54,238 ± 7,185
Players in the last 2 weeks: 9,952 ± 3,077 (18.35%)
Players total: 51,999 ± 7,035 (95.87%)

Atlantic Fleet
Release date: Feb 25, 2016
Price: $9.99
Score rank: 56% Userscore: 84% Old userscore: 84%
Owners: 49,759 ± 6,882
Players in the last 2 weeks: 2,239 ± 1,459 (4.5%)
Players total: 47,271 ± 6,707 (95%)

Oriental Empires
Release date: Sep 14, 2017 (previously in Early Access)
Price: $29.99
Score rank: 44% Userscore: 79% Old userscore: 79% Metascore: 74%
Owners: 57,223 ± 7,380
Players in the last 2 weeks: 8,210 ± 2,795 (14.35%)
Players total: 51,501 ± 7,001 (90%)

Opus Magnum
Release date: Dec 7, 2017 (previously in Early Access)
Price: $19.99
Score rank: 97% Userscore: 97% Old userscore: 97%
Owners: 55,979 ± 7,299
Players in the last 2 weeks: 23,138 ± 4,693 (41.33%)
Players total: 51,750 ± 7,018 (92.44%)

The first thing that stands out is the "Score Rank". The first 3 games released here are 44%, 51% and 56% or in other words, average games on Steam (50% means middle of the catalog in terms of likes and dislike ratio). Meh. ---- Opus Magnum 97%. Truly loved.

The other games took months to sell as many copies. Statistics seem to indicate Opus Magnum belongs, and should be superior to the last 3 releases.
RWarehall: anip
well, you know... as a certain forum member tried to argue some time ago about other rejected games - I bet gOg thinks that Opus Magnum will at some point in time be released in bundles, since Zach's other games have been bundled in the past, and thereby become worthless to them. I can not quite remember who that forum member was, though....
RWarehall: anip
amok: well, you know... as a certain forum member tried to argue some time ago about other rejected games - I bet gOg thinks that Opus Magnum will at some point in time be released in bundles, since Zach's other games have been bundled in the past, and thereby become worthless to them. I can not quite remember who that forum member was, though....
Well, you know...maybe some people ought to get their facts straight....

One Finger Death Punch had been bundled a dozen times already. Betrayer had been in like 7 bundles. And we aren't talking expensive bundles, but very cheap ones. So when a game has been bundled that much, it becomes a major issue.

Fact is, I don't see Zachtronics games getting bundled like that and not immediately after being released.

It's a factor, but I do not believe it applies in this situation at all.

You might not like it, but the truth is the truth...
amok: well, you know... as a certain forum member tried to argue some time ago about other rejected games - I bet gOg thinks that Opus Magnum will at some point in time be released in bundles, since Zach's other games have been bundled in the past, and thereby become worthless to them. I can not quite remember who that forum member was, though....
RWarehall: Well, you know...maybe some people ought to get their facts straight....

One Finger Death Punch had been bundled a dozen times already. Betrayer had been in like 7 bundles. And we aren't talking expensive bundles, but very cheap ones. So when a game has been bundled that much, it becomes a major issue.

Fact is, I don't see Zachtronics games getting bundled like that and not immediately after being released.

It's a factor, but I do not believe it applies in this situation at all.

You might not like it, but the truth is the truth...
Neither One Finger Death Punch nor Betrayer had been bundled when they where rejected first time, the bundling came later... how many times have for example SpaceChem been bundled?
amok: Neither One Finger Death Punch nor Betrayer had been bundled when they where rejected first time, the bundling came later... how many times have for example SpaceChem been bundled?
In the last 6 years since it's release? Are you seriously asking that question now? To my knowledge Shenzhen has not yet been bundled and TIS-100 I think only showed up in one after being released for a year. ITAD is currently down for maintenance or i could give a better answer.

But like I said before...get your facts straight...because at the point both devs were complaining about their GoG rejections, they had already been bundled. One Finger Death Punch in so many, it might hold the world record...

It's a factor, but it a factor that is favorable for Zachtronics games since they do not have the tendency to over-bundle their products.