It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

skimmie: Thanks for the thread and your continued efforts in these forums to keep/make it a nice place, Marko.
^ This.

Thank you, Marko! And thank you for trying to keep this thread on track. Unfortunately it was a lost cause when certain people arrived last night.
Hollyhock: Totally not buying that.

That's like blaming the kid who got beaten up by some bullies because everybody knows what bullies do when you don't give them your lunch money.
real.geizterfahr: No, it's not. And your comparison is kinda stupid. Everyone knows how these Twitter retards tick. As a private person, you can use that knowledge to have some fun with them (saying harmless things, waiting for their reaction and then point out how stupid their predictable reaction is). But as the paid PR person of a company, you should simple stay away from them.

Again: From a common sense point of view Linko did nothing wrong. But so-called SJWs and common sense don't go together very well. Their reaction was predictable and thus it wasn't smart to use that hashtag.

Hollyhock: The thing is, PC activists love to meddle in other people's businesses. They are not an unsentient force of nature that we are forced to be submissive to. They are people, and thus liable for their actions. When they do something right, we should praise them. When they cross the line and do something wrong, as bully Linko90 out of nothing, we should take a stance against them and support the guy.
real.geizterfahr: That's exactly what I said when I wrote
real.geizterfahr: The bigger mistake is on GOG's side. Firing an employee over a non-issue (using a hashtag that means something else is kinda stupid, but a very common thing to do nowadays), just because the we're-blowing-things-out-of-proportion-warrioirs demanded it, only gave a group that shouldn't exist even more significance. They're internet trolls who found a way to affect peoples real lives. What they do doesn't help the cause they're supposedly fighting for. The world needs to wake up and show these punks what they are: nothing. Firing people because they demand it is the exact wrong way.
real.geizterfahr:
Does anyone know if Linko is an experienced PR professional?

My sense is that GOG likes doing things on the cheap, so I doubt that's the case.
Reaps: I'm not active on the forums, but I've been a member of GoG for a long time. This thread was worth chipping a post into, even if it's just a glorified "+1"

"Gamers" in general have had a long and proud history of standing up to moral busybodies trying to meddle in their hobby, no matter what political or religious stripe they're from.

The last few years in particular have been fascinating to watch as newer, more perfidious threats appear in an attempt to strongarm what should be a pastime into yet another tool with which to shape culture to their own liking. The odd thing is that, despite how successful people within the community have been at seeing off this threat, game companies themselves still tremble in fear of them.

So with all this said, stop behaving in such a silly fashion, GoG. I refuse to believe you're this spineless. If this is about a fear of losing money over some faux moral outrage, then perhaps it's also worth considering how much money you'd lose from purchases that might have otherwise been made by actual members of your community whom feel disgusted with your kowtowing to the faux moral outrage
GoG is a company, they don't care about anything but making money, they have a legal responsibility to their shareholders to not care about anything but making money. As such, GoG should be avoiding these issues altogether and not making dumb jokes to begin with because that keeps all sides happy and maximizes their potential to sell to as many people as possible.

The fact that people read this as some kind of personal insult or an insult to gamer culture is kind of reading too much into what actually happened.

The simple fact of the matter is that your social media manager is supposed to maximize your brand potential, and if Linko was the person whose job it was to be social media manager than he did something incredibly stupid by posting jokes that could be considered controversial and from a brand management perspective posting an apology was the correct course of action. This isn't the first time GoG has been called out for this exact issue, so to me that says Linko was pretty bad at his job if he was the social media manager. Any company would fire a person in that position if they continued to post that kind of content after multiple issues.

I should stress, it has nothing to do with the validity of the outrage about the posts, I think the outrage was not warranted whatsoever, it has to do with the fact that a good social media manager is supposed to be able to recognize these things and avoid them. I think Linko was pretty good community manager in this forum, but he obviously wasn't cut out for managing their social media.

I should also add I don't think he should be fired, but I do think he shouldn't be managing their social media.
Post edited November 08, 2018 by firstpastthepost
skimmie: Thanks for the thread and your continued efforts in these forums to keep/make it a nice place, Marko.
PaterAlf: ^ This.

Thank you, Marko! And thank you for trying to keep this thread on track. Unfortunately it was a lost cause when certain people arrived last night.
If certain peeps would tone down their snobbery, the friction would likely dissipate rather quickly. o.O
I see GOG deleted the other thread about this topic that was more directly focused on them caving to the perpetually offended yet again. Maybe it's time to stop buying from GOG...
richlind33: Does anyone know if Linko is an experienced PR professional?

My sense is that GOG likes doing things on the cheap, so I doubt that's the case.
I think you should ask another question - will any experienced PR professional work in such environment, as game industry?
Totenglocke: I see GOG deleted the other thread about this topic that was more directly focused on them caving to the perpetually offended yet again. Maybe it's time to stop buying from GOG...
I think you're reading too much into that. I think this thread would've been locked too if it wasn't for the fact that it is meant as goodwill gesture to one of their co-workers, which probably makes his co-workers happy. I am surprised it's managed to survive this long though.
richlind33: If certain peeps would tone down their snobbery, the friction would likely dissipate rather quickly. o.O
Sure. And if certain peeps wouldn't turn every second thread into their own political battlefield, this forum would be a much better place and there would be no need to close down or delete threads.
Bring Linko90 back. He did nothing wrong. Don´t cave to the always offended mob. They don´t care about games, they just want attention. Stop caving.
Hey everyone. Sadly, as repeated warnings (both from my side and our community's) didn't have a long-lasting impact on this thread, I'm going to lock it.

That aside, I would like to thank everyone that tried to keep this thread on topic and encouraged others to follow our forum guidelines, it's appreciated. Here is to hoping we can learn from this experience and continue to make the forums a better place, where even heated discussion, with many different opinions, can be held in a civil manner.