It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
ssokolow: Yeah, sure. It's a lot slower and more difficult to run "innoextract setup_some_game.exe" or "unrar x setup_some_game-1.bin" than it is to download a 30-day trial copy of Windows from modern.ie, import it into my copy of VirtualBox, boot it, set up shared folders so I can copy files in and out, copy the installer in, run it, wait through the install process, copy the files I want out of the VM, and then halt the VM and reset it to the original snapshot so the 30 day trial won't expire.

...and you didn't address the example I gave about things like EDuke32 on Windows, where it's still quicker and easier to run innoextract, innounp, or WinRAR rather than waiting through the installer AND the uninstaller.
Buddy, that's the price you pay for using Linux. You knew what you were getting into. But yes I would say it's easier and better to just download windows and use it to get the game data. I'd just suggest using a Windows 8 iso and installing it to spare hard drive and then install all your GOG games to another spare hard drive. I hate Win 8 but I suggest it because it's small and quick and will do the job. Once you have the game data then that's it.

As for eduke just how slow is your PC. When I hit the installer I double click the picture and in less then two seconds it's installed. Besides, duke nukem 3D has a Linux installer and archive so just use that.
Magmarock: yes I did read the post and as I said you can just install the games to an external hard drive and keep that as your game data archive
shmerl: Except the whole point is not to install it but unpack with minimal effort. Using Wine for that and let a lone some Windows in VM is far from minimal effort. Anyway, GOG already said they aren't going to hinder that on purpose.
I've been getting into Linux and to be honest there are things I like about it. But the one thing I hate about it and the community around it is the almost dedication to doing things the hard way. It's like you get an OS that isn't windows and when things made for windows don't work too well on your free OS with no official documentation or support, you start getting annoyed at the program venders.
Post edited January 09, 2015 by Magmarock
Magmarock: I've been getting into Linux and to be honest there are things I like about it. But the one thing I hate about it and the community around it is the almost dedication to doing things the hard way. It's like you get an OS that isn't windows and when things made for windows don't work too well on your free OS with no official documentation or support, you start getting annoyed at the program venders.
What do you expect from running the games on unsupported platforms? But making it harder than necessary is still not good. The argument "it's hard already, who cares if it will be harder" is pretty wrong. Luckily GOG answered that they get this point and won't be creating artificial roadblocks for that.

And it was pointed out as well that it has nothing to do with Linux only. For example you run ScummVM or whatever other alternative engine on any other OS and want to get game data files. It doesn't need to be Linux for you to hit all the same issues.
Post edited January 09, 2015 by shmerl
Magmarock: I've been getting into Linux and to be honest there are things I like about it. But the one thing I hate about it and the community around it is the almost dedication to doing things the hard way. It's like you get an OS that isn't windows and when things made for windows don't work too well on your free OS with no official documentation or support, you start getting annoyed at the program venders.
shmerl: What do you expect from running the games on unsupported platforms? But making it harder than necessary is still not good. The argument "it's hard already, who cares if it will be harder" is pretty wrong. Luckily GOG answered that they get this point and won't be creating artificial roadblocks for that.

And it was pointed out as well that it has nothing to do with Linux only. For example you run ScummVM or whatever other alternative engine on any other OS and want to get game data files. It doesn't need to be Linux for you to hit all the same issues.
I honestly think he doesn't know that he is only able to play the old games hassle free in Windows because of the geeks (mostly Linux fans) who wrote ScummVM, DosBox and all the small compatibility patches for Win32 games.
If I want to play an old game in Windows, I want to choose my game engine recreation or emulator myself and only need the files, it's completely Linux unrelated and we can be sure, that at some point, GoGs installers won't work under Windows anymore either, be it Windows 11 or 20 if they are not relying on open source packaging.
Post edited January 09, 2015 by Klumpen0815
Klumpen0815: GoGs installers won't work under Windows anymore either, be it Windows 11 or 20 if they are not relying on open source packaging.
An open specification using open formats should be enough ;)
shmerl: What do you expect from running the games on unsupported platforms? But making it harder than necessary is still not good. The argument "it's hard already, who cares if it will be harder" is pretty wrong. Luckily GOG answered that they get this point and won't be creating artificial roadblocks for that.

Klumpen0815: I honestly think he doesn't know that he is only able to play the old games hassle free in Windows because of the geeks (mostly Linux fans) who wrote ScummVM, DosBox and all the small compatibility patches for Win32 games.
If I want to play an old game in Windows, I want to choose my game engine recreation or emulator myself and only need the files, it's completely Linux unrelated and we can be sure, that at some point, GoGs installers won't work under Windows anymore either, be it Windows 11 or 20 if they are not relying on open source packaging.
Nuu I'm saying if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Klumpen0815: I honestly think he doesn't know that he is only able to play the old games hassle free in Windows because of the geeks (mostly Linux fans) who wrote ScummVM, DosBox and all the small compatibility patches for Win32 games.
Magmarock: Nuu I'm saying if it ain't broke don't fix it.
Except this installer broke it (with the password). So we asked to fix at least what was broken :)
low rated
Magmarock: Nuu I'm saying if it ain't broke don't fix it.
shmerl: Except this installer broke it (with the password). So we asked to fix at least what was broken :)
Nothing is wrong with the installer. It does exactly what it's designed to do. If you're trying to use it in a way that it was never meant for, then you can't blame it or it's creatures for that.
shmerl: Except this installer broke it (with the password). So we asked to fix at least what was broken :)
Magmarock: Nothing is wrong with the installer. It does exactly what it's designed to do. If you're trying to use it in a way that it was never meant for, then you can't blame it or it's creatures for that.
Did you miss this whole thread? I won't repeat what was broken. All was said above, nothing more to add.

And as Klumpen0815 pointed out, GOG stands on the shoulders of the giants, i.e. those projects which invested countless man hours in the emulators and alternative engines which allow us to enjoy games otherwise inaccessible on modern systems. So if GOG benefited from that, it makes sense for them not to hinder such activity on purpose as well. And they reaffirmed that they wouldn't. So nothing to argue about here.
low rated
Magmarock: Nothing is wrong with the installer. It does exactly what it's designed to do. If you're trying to use it in a way that it was never meant for, then you can't blame it or it's creatures for that.
shmerl: Did you miss this whole thread? I won't repeat what was broken. All was said above, nothing more to add.

And as Klumpen0815 pointed out, GOG stands on the shoulders of the giants, i.e. those projects which invested countless man hours in the emulators and alternative engines which allow us to enjoy games otherwise inaccessible on modern systems. So if GOG benefited from that, it makes sense for them not to hinder such activity on purpose as well. And they reaffirmed that they wouldn't. So nothing to argue about here.
What the hell are talking about...? This isn't someone trying to code new emulator here this someone trying to manually extract data from an .exe this has nothing to do with dosbox and you're beating a straw man.

Also just because GOG uses dosbox and scummv I would hardly call that standing on the shoulders of giants. Dosbox is amazing credit were it's due. But, setting up dosbox to run games for someone who is unfamiliar with dos or how to configure it can be a nightmare. Which is why GOG is so awesome and why dosbox themselves promotes this very site.

What pisses me off so much about the Linux community is that they'll focus on stuff like this, but not bother fixing things inside Linux that actually do need some fixing. Instead of making games work better on Linux why not make Linux better and running games.
Magmarock: What the hell are talking about...? This isn't someone trying to code new emulator here this someone trying to manually extract data from an .exe this has nothing to do with dosbox and you're beating a straw man.
We are talking about running games on unsupported platforms (exactly what DosBox, ScummVM and etc. were written for). Enough said.

Magmarock: What pisses me off so much about the Linux community is that they'll focus on stuff like this, but not bother fixing things inside Linux that actually do need some fixing. Instead of making games work better on Linux why not make Linux better and running games.
Linux is getting better at running games. If you don't follow the progress it doesn't mean that it's not happening (look up OpenGL-next initiative). The reason why emulators and projects like Wine are needed isn't because Linux is not good enough already, but because games developers aren't often releasing Linux versions. You can complain to them, not to Linux community about it.
low rated
Magmarock: What the hell are talking about...? This isn't someone trying to code new emulator here this someone trying to manually extract data from an .exe this has nothing to do with dosbox and you're beating a straw man.
shmerl: We are talking about running games on unsupported platforms (exactly what DosBox, ScummVM and etc. were written for). Enough said.

Magmarock: What pisses me off so much about the Linux community is that they'll focus on stuff like this, but not bother fixing things inside Linux that actually do need some fixing. Instead of making games work better on Linux why not make Linux better and running games.
shmerl: Linux is getting better at running games. If you don't follow the progress it doesn't mean that it's not happening (look up OpenGL-next initiative). The reason why emulators and projects like Wine are needed isn't because Linux is not good enough already, but because games developers aren't often releasing Linux versions. You can complain to them, not to Linux community about it.
I'm using Linux I'm well aware how well it (doesn't) play games.

Of course developers aren't releasing their games on Linux. Considering how painful it is just to use I wouldn't do it either.
Post edited January 09, 2015 by Magmarock
Magmarock: I'm using Linux I'm well aware how well it (doesn't) play games.

Of course developers aren't releasing their games on Linux. Considering how painful it is just to use I wouldn't do it either.
Not really. More likely considering how they have no clue how to develop for Linux. For a very long time gaming was dominated by Windows development and only in the recent years it started to change. So the progress is already there. It won't happen overnight, but things are getting better with more developers getting on board. OpenGL-next should be a major milestone to anticipate (for developers especially). So if you are interested in the progress, keep track of that.

Anyway, in order not to go into off-topic, if you want to discuss gaming on Linux in general (or gaming development for Linux), better open another thread or use any of the other related ones.
Magmarock: I'm using Linux I'm well aware how well it (doesn't) play games.

shmerl: Not really. More likely considering how they have no clue how to develop for Linux. For a very long time gaming was dominated by Windows development and only in the recent years it started to change. So the progress is already there. It won't happen overnight, but things are getting better with more developers getting on board. OpenGL-next should be a major milestone to anticipate (for developers especially). So if you are interested in the progress, keep track of that.

Anyway, in order not to go into off-topic, if you want to discuss gaming on Linux in general (or gaming development for Linux), better open another thread or use any of the other related ones.
I've used opengl for years it's not as good as directx and I doubt it ever will be.
t.Slappy: ...
I've never seen anybody mention your tool and definitely not in this thread so I'm just going to assume that you're linkspamming to try to advertise.
Post edited January 09, 2015 by ssokolow
This has a lot to do with dosbox. Or any other emulator / compatibility layer. It has nothing to do with Linux. If I want to use my own version of dosbox instead of the one included by gog, I need to extract the data from the .exe.

I don't really have a problem running games on Linux. Except when I can't get the data for the game.