It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Yes, thats true, but until GOG comments one way or the other we are kind of stuck in limbo here.
Post edited January 06, 2015 by king_mosiah
shmerl: I surely agree that RAR is a pretty bad format to use. 7zip is better in practically everything. But that really isn't relevant to the main problem, which is a password in it.
Is there any advantage in using RAR? I can only see downsides.
I always wonder why a shop with DRM-free on its banner has so much more love for proprietary stuff in general anyway.
One would think that stuff like Linux and 7zip comes with the territory.
Post edited January 06, 2015 by Klumpen0815
Kristian: I surely agree that RAR is a pretty bad format to use. 7zip is better in practically everything. But that really isn't relevant to the main problem, which is a password in it.
king_mosiah: Yes, thats true, but until GOG comments one way or the other we are kind of stuck in limbo here.
Wait, what? When did I say that? Are you quoting the wrong person or has my memory failed me?
king_mosiah: Yes, thats true, but until GOG comments one way or the other we are kind of stuck in limbo here.
Kristian: Wait, what? When did I say that? Are you quoting the wrong person or has my memory failed me?
Seems I made a little error with the quotes.....
Klumpen0815: I always wonder why a shop with DRM-free on its banner has so much more love for proprietary stuff in general anyway.
That would be a reasonable assumption. If I had to guess, I would say that it depends on the people GOG is hiring. Many universities (and other institutes) seem to be locked to a Microsoft mindset. In a non-free (as in free speech) world, RAR may be about as good as LZMA2. And, hey, I have used RAR once before, so let me go with it! Why waste time looking for other solutions?

We, who care, are just a minority.
Klumpen0815: I always wonder why a shop with DRM-free on its banner has so much more love for proprietary stuff in general anyway.
Gede: That would be a reasonable assumption. If I had to guess, I would say that it depends on the people GOG is hiring. Many universities (and other institutes) seem to be locked to a Microsoft mindset. In a non-free (as in free speech) world, RAR may be about as good as LZMA2. And, hey, I have used RAR once before, so let me go with it! Why waste time looking for other solutions?

We, who care, are just a minority.
Then it's better to be all the more vocal about our concerns , no?
Post edited January 06, 2015 by king_mosiah
Gersen: RAR is not a bad format, it's free for extraction (as in free beer ;) ), open source, powerful, can support recovery, multi-volumes and is easy to use. In the end there are better choice but also much worse ones. Maybe also it could be some GoG dev having some previous experience with it.
king_mosiah: AFAIK, RAR is only partially open and the free/libre decompression tool is not exactly what I would call reliable.
unar is a free (as in free speech) *reliable* unarchiving software, supporting RAR archives (including 3.0)
http://unarchiver.c3.cx/commandline

Yep, you can dump your old non-free unrar ;)
king_mosiah: AFAIK, RAR is only partially open and the free/libre decompression tool is not exactly what I would call reliable.
vv221: unar is a free (as in free speech) *reliable* unarchiving software, supporting RAR archives (including 3.0)
http://unarchiver.c3.cx/commandline

Yep, you can dump your old non-free unrar ;)
Thanks, I was only aware of the GNU unrar which still has issues with 3.0 archives,
shmerl: So let's see. Where are any official comments from GOG about this? The winter break is over. Are GOG ignoring this issue or still didn't have time to review it?
I guess they are not reading the forums. Perhaps we should all just send support tickets.
shmerl: So let's see. Where are any official comments from GOG about this? The winter break is over. Are GOG ignoring this issue or still didn't have time to review it?
Rixasha: I guess they are not reading the forums. Perhaps we should all just send support tickets.
I think they are reading the forums. But it can be useful to send them support tickets as well, though it doesn't look like an effective way to draw GOG official (not support side) attention to the issue.
Post edited January 06, 2015 by shmerl
They probably have about a hundred other issues as well, with the holidays and all.
It'll probably also help to keep up the inertia that's holding this issue at the top of the "Most voted (this week) wishes in Site Features" list.
Would it be a good idea to create a GOGmix with the affected titles? I can confirm that the following on my account are affected:

broken_sword_4
deadly_premonition_directors_cut
fahrenheit_indigo_prophecy
magrunner_dark_pulse
star_wars_knights_of_the_old_republic
the_bards_tale

Pretty glad now that I had saved an older installer for broken sword 4, fahrenheit and bard's tale. Won't be getting rid of old installers before a thorough examination from now on.
Rixasha: Would it be a good idea to create a GOGmix with the affected titles? I can confirm that the following on my account are affected:

broken_sword_4
deadly_premonition_directors_cut
fahrenheit_indigo_prophecy
magrunner_dark_pulse
star_wars_knights_of_the_old_republic
the_bards_tale

Pretty glad now that I had saved an older installer for broken sword 4, fahrenheit and bard's tale. Won't be getting rid of old installers before a thorough examination from now on.
I'd appreciate such a GOGmix... especially if it can mention the earliest known affected version for each one.
Would it be possible for someone here to write a little tool that converts those blasted installers in batches into 7zips?

Those new installers were the worst idea since regional pricing and should be removed asap.
Post edited January 06, 2015 by Klumpen0815