It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
high rated
My decision is done

GOG.com goal is becoming a crappy Steam with some AAA games, maybe even staying DRM free but adopting any customer unfriendly industry practice along the way.
If i want lock-in i can just go to Steam and enjoy the BEST (multiplayer) experience there is.

I hate steam not for what it IS, but what it DOES to its customers. If GOG is indistinguishable they better fucking DELIVER! Lock-IN is the problem guys...

Thanks for proofing does it is possible to make money with DRM free, but sorry GOG, you didn't understood the idea of DRM-free and video game preservation.. AT ALL.
DRM free is only ONE customer unfriendly technical hurdle... your implemention and FOCUS on galaxy foreshadows a future where the experience of users without galaxy will be worse with every new release.. especially those shiny AAA titles that "fully support" galaxy.

Oh.. and as i still own 700 DRM free titles here.. PLEASE DO YOUR JOB AND PROVIDE TECHNICAL SUPPORT LIKE YOU ONCE DID. More and more titles need community fixes...

Good luck in the future GOG... you "evolved"... and i am stuck in the past and with the ideals i once thought we both shared.

---
speech marks added on: "evolved"
Post edited May 12, 2017 by Executer
high rated
Executer: Good luck in the future GOG... you evolved... and i am stuck in the past and with the ideals i once thought we both shared.
Amen. I feel the same, only I'd have used the word "devolved" not "evolved".
high rated
Klumpen0815: Friday has arrived, has anything happened yet?
Did they row back due to most of their customers being dead against it?
I own a couple of games on the list and I haven't noticed any changes yet:-

Yesterday:-

Crookz The Big Heist (2.1.0.4) - 24360 (gog-4):-

File : setup_crookz_2.1.0.4.exe
Size : 28,481,464 bytes
MD5 : 1413c884abfe307750b191d570864124
SHA1 : f05866232ad1e7d723cbb9c0869352485ed30521

File : setup_crookz_2.1.0.4-1.bin
Size : 3,620,170,202 bytes
MD5 : 52c68d9b53096b9269baee121f8e87f5
SHA1 : 6f99bc6b078a8e75d42897476daaa7df0c9d39e3

DEX (5.4.0.0_10932):-

File : setup_dex_5.4.0.0_(10932).exe
Size : 736,344 bytes
MD5 : b9704ada06c5064ad9556bcf67d0c91b
SHA1 : 2289658bc6cc183b0a69b3f35d6bb66b678944d8

File : setup_dex_5.4.0.0_(10932)-1.bin
Size : 1,584,530,510 bytes
MD5 : e6ffee480a64cae38fa1f33c005198d9
SHA1 : e96343c5ccdf19a6ff6ce9b72055f7edccbd17e5

This War Of Mine: Soundtrack Edition 3.0.2 (gog-8):-

File : setup_this_war_of_mine_2.4.0.8.exe
Size : 1,124,119,256 bytes
MD5 : 9affb1e23cdfb480298953daecf8414e
SHA1 : 0261f4eecce1a41d226aa44bc3e4e3e19958bb61

I'm not going to re-download all of the larger files yet, but I just checked the smaller Crookz 27MB and Dex 1MB EXE files, and they're still identical, so nothing has changed yet for above games. It remains to be seen whether that's because they haven't got round to it yet, or if as you say, they've changed their mind...

Edit : And here's the games that are supposed to be affected:-
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1CuRw1E44ZSEgY-pjuimEjBHZPgBEa-mUVmmAkgyIkmU/edit
Post edited May 12, 2017 by AB2012
Darvond: Maybe instead to pad the numbers of Galaxy, they (mysterious powers that are) could have, oh, I don't know, announced the intent to add a workshop to GOG Galaxy as to encourage positive thought and hype?
Bad idea, if they do that peoples would be up in arms about how this was a way to force peoples to use Galaxy how from now on Mods will be only available through Galaxy workshop and nowhere else, how they will probably start modifying games to prevent non-Galaxy workshop mod to work and how this was the absolute proof that they want to add DRM everywhere....
Post edited May 12, 2017 by Gersen
high rated
Ok so I have not read any of the posts but I think I get the idea of this thread from the title itself and I am heavily against such an option. The point of the offline installer is just that...to be used offline. GOG Galaxy is an online system much like Steam (but not as draconian) thus including it in the offline installer would kind of defeat the point. It would also mean that every time GOG Galaxy updated then all of the offline installers would need to update as well...and we all know how often that happens. Even if the option only downloaded the latest installer for GOG Galaxy once again we come full circle to the fact that these are suppose to be offline installers. To me the topic of this thread feels more like a solution looking for a problem more then something intended to actually fix anything. I personally prefer GOG Galaxy to be what it was promised, an optional client and I don't want to have it forced down my throat every time I turn around since I prefer to use offline installers and run my games directly rather then through a separate client.
high rated
Wonder how they discuss the reactions internally.

BizDev morning meeting:

Joe: They think that we think that they are stupid.

Frank: Well, it's true, isn't it.

Joe: Huh. What they think or what they are?

Frank: ... Ah, both probably.

Gary (boss of the department): Okay, guys, we need to do something. What are our options?

Joe: We could make the default as opt-in instead of opt-out, would just take a single click.

Gary: Hmm, thanks for your input. I thought carefully about it. No. (Never go back on an earlier decision or it will look like weakness, he thinks by himself.)

Frank: You know boss, we could just release a bunch of games, maybe a sale. Kind of spam the community forum with announcements and people will forget.

Gary: ... Splendid idea Frank! Do it at once.

Gary leans back.

Mr. X (major stackeholder) enters: I heard rumours about a riot about some new policy of us..?

Gary (aghast): Oh no, Sir. That certainly isn't the case. Just... a ... a cheering crowd, hailing our newest releases. And you know, they are so stupid, they will buy everything.

Curtain goes down.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by Trilarion
fronzelneekburm: I guess if you're operating on a level where you think your user base is too fucking dumb to download and install a client of their own volition, they sure as hell will be too stupid to handle a level editor. So if you're looking at it from that perspective, it all makes sense. If you don't, however, you might start to wonder whether gog have their priorities straight.
Because of course not including the level editor is totally Gog decision and definitely not the developers one....
Trilarion:
Really? That's a bit weak.
high rated
Thank you all for your posts in this topic, especially for all the constructive feedback. We posted on the forums expecting that many of you will be vocal about this. We want to assure you, that we always read your feedback and discuss it internally, even if we don’t always agree with some of it. You are vocal, so it means you care about GOG.com and we really do appreciate it.

Games have changed a lot in the past years and new titles made achievements, cloud saves and other online features become a standard rather than an extra. Sure, some do not care about these functionalities and we understand it. Having said that, we believe that if we offer games with these features advertised to the general public, then the default installation flow is expected to result in a game with these features working out of the box. This is our reasoning for including the option to install GOG Galaxy during the game installation, and we do stand by it.

Yes, there are things which we can do better - there always are. Reading your feedback and giving it a second thought, we decided on the following:
1. We clearly noticed - yes, we did - that many of you prefer the old installers (let’s call them “classic”) and prefer to manage their growing libraries manually. Therefore, once we roll out “new” installers with the option to install GOG Galaxy, we will add a separate download of the “classic” ones. Going forward we will offer the option to download “classic” installers whenever a game is offered via a “new” installer.
2. As mentioned earlier, we will work on making the GOG Galaxy installer smaller, but at the cost of it being online only.
3. We will launch the new installers in a couple of weeks once point 1 is ready. Point 2 might take a bit longer, but with the “classic” installer option available, this should not affect anyone.

One more thing to keep in mind: everyday we fight to make more great titles available to you, DRM-free. To release many of them we must support their online features, while at the same time developers request ways to automate upload and updating games. Without GOG Galaxy we couldn't offer many of the games we offer today at all, even if you don’t use GOG Galaxy to play or update them.

Once again thank you for your feedback. We hope the above answers your concerns.

Edit: pinned
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
AB2012: I own a couple of games on the list and I haven't noticed any changes yet:-
Somehow I've gotten the impression that nowadays GOG lives in the US time, when it comes to new releases, promotions etc. So whenever it is Friday prime time in US... We Europeons are already in the evening at that point, I guess.
Destro: 1. We clearly noticed - yes, we did - that many of you prefer the old installers (let’s call them “classic”) and prefer to manage their growing libraries manually. Therefore, once we roll out “new” installers with the option to install GOG Galaxy, we will add a separate download of the “classic” ones.
That seems fair enough but will the updates stay the same also?
high rated
I don't understand this solution. It makes no sense. Why have two separate installers, one bundled with Galaxy, SOMETHING EVEN MORE CONFUSING TO THE USER, and more work for you to keep them both updated, and not just let the Galaxy users just download a standalone Galaxy (as it is now).

Is it because of the shame of admitting it was a bad idea in the first place? Can't think of any other reason, honestly.

New Coke vs Classic Coca Cola
Post edited May 12, 2017 by sunshinecorp
high rated
Destro: 1. We clearly noticed - yes, we did - that many of you prefer the old installers (let’s call them “classic”) and prefer to manage their growing libraries manually. Therefore, once we roll out “new” installers with the option to install GOG Galaxy, we will add a separate download of the “classic” ones. Going forward we will offer the option to download “classic” installers whenever a game is offered via a “new” installer.
Thank you. I don't know about the others but this is good for me. I can get installers without bloatware.

Just as long as you ensure that when an update is available, both "classic" and "new" installers get it.

Really you happy you listened to the feedback on this one!
Post edited May 12, 2017 by ZFR
high rated
Destro: 1. We clearly noticed - yes, we did - that many of you prefer the old installers (let’s call them “classic”) and prefer to manage their growing libraries manually. Therefore, once we roll out “new” installers with the option to install GOG Galaxy, we will add a separate download of the “classic” ones. Going forward we will offer the option to download “classic” installers whenever a game is offered via a “new” installer.
'preciate it. :-) Thanks for listening.
high rated
sunshinecorp: Why have two separate installers, one bundled with Galaxy, SOMETHING EVEN MORE CONFUSING TO THE USER
I imagine the Galaxy one will be "default" on top, while the classic below it, or even under extras?

I honestly don't care. As long as I get my bloatware free installers, updated to the latest version, they can do what they want. Let GOG worry how to handle their non-tech-savvy (ha ha) users.
Post edited May 12, 2017 by ZFR