It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Thanks for bearing with us in this thread. We’d like to announce that today we’ve introduced the addition of new installers, with implemented GOG Galaxy client.

Like Destro described it back in May, we decided to separate the „new" and „classic” installers, for your choice. So if you don’t care about the features like achievements or cloud-saves and don’t want to use GOG Galaxy, you can download the „Classic Game Installer", just like it was handled before. For games that have new installers, the default download view on „My account” will show the "GOG Galaxy Game Installers" - you will notice that, as it is visibly described in „My account” game view. To download the „classic” ones, just go to „Options" and choose „Classic Installers”.

The new GOG Galaxy Game Installers were added to +100 games - a selection of all games that make use of GOG Galaxy features. I'll post the current list of games with the new installers in a separate post.
Going forward, all new games that will use GOG Galaxy features, will now receive both GOG Galaxy Game Installer and Classic Game Installer.

Introduction of GOG Galaxy Game Installers doesn’t change anything in terms of keeping the Classic Game Installers up to date. As soon as we receive an update for any game, we will prepare an updated version of the classic installer, just like it was done in the past.

Edit: Pinned.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by fables22
Telika: SOOOOooooooooo. What's the procedure for the DRM-free versions ?

Say, if I was to redownload "Renowned Explorer". I'm using the GOG Downloader. I'm getting a "setup_renowned_explorers_64_457_(12419)". Is is the one with or without the bloatware ?

Post 1425 implies that the bloatware would have been announced by a (g) in the name, so, GOG Downloader -> okay version ?

Edit : Same with Hard West. I get a "setup_hard_west_64_1.5_(13043)" with no "(g)". Does it mean I'm still getting the honest install file by default ?
From what I can tell Renowned Explorer didn't get its galaxyfied installer yet, there is no option to switch. In general the (g) identifies the galaxified installer, I extracted both installer of 8bit Armies and only the (g) one includes Galaxy - as a full installer as it seems.
Can somebody explain me then:

What's the difference between GOGDownloader Links / Classic Installer? The Galaxy one is self explained.

I love using the legacy downloader GOG had in the past. So I'd like to know if those links will still be updated.
timppu: I... don't understand the instructions. I'm using Firefox to access my "Games" page. Where is the menu where I select whether I want to download classic or Galaxy installers? I checked the download pages for Turok and FTL, and it lists only the Classic installers (mentioning below them that they don't include the Galaxy installer)? So which is the menu with the option to switch between the two versions, or haven't Turok and FTL received the Galaxy installer yet? They were mentioned in that list.

EDIT: Apparently those two listed games haven't just received the new installer yet. I found the option in e.g. The Witcher 3 GOTY.

To anyone who has checked the two alternative versions: how much does the Galaxy installer increase the size? Is it the full installer, ot a smaller stub?

At least it is good they are differentiating the Galaxy-embedded versions with a "_(g)" in the filename, so for automated scripts (like gogrepo.py) it is easy to skip any files including that string, in case they'd otherwise download both versions. As long as GOG sticks to that, and will not use "(g)" for any other purpose in the filenames.

I'm glad I downloaded all my GOG game installers with gogrepo just before this announcement, in case there are hiccups with the third-party tools...
From what I've seen they've (as least for now) included a full installer of Galaxy.
And regarding gogrepo. It seems that it only detects the classic installers at the moment, but I'm going to verify that.
high rated
Fairfox: Can I not download teh 'Classic' installers usin' Galaxy? Becaaaause if not Imma screwed as mah browser downloads (large) installers in their entirety then fails 90% of teh tiem (Random Lee, it seems) :/
DoctorGOGgles: Right now it seems like you can only download the classic installers via Galaxy.
You can download the classic installer via the website
timppu: To anyone who has checked the two alternative versions: how much does the Galaxy installer increase the size? Is it the full installer, ot a smaller stub?
I checked with M&M7 and the size went from 659MB for non-galaxy to 778MB with galaxy
Attachments:
Post edited July 06, 2017 by te_lanus

Say, if I was to redownload "Renowned Explorer". I'm using the GOG Downloader. I'm getting a "setup_renowned_explorers_64_457_(12419)". Is is the one with or without the bloatware ?

Post 1425 implies that the bloatware would have been announced by a (g) in the name, so, GOG Downloader -> okay version ?

Edit : Same with Hard West. I get a "setup_hard_west_64_1.5_(13043)" with no "(g)". Does it mean I'm still getting the honest install file by default ?
ElTerprise: From what I can tell Renowned Explorer didn't get its galaxyfied installer yet, there is no option to switch.
Hm. I'm trying to experience first hand the option of getting the decent installers, so I'm checking the updated games from that "most up to date list of games". Is there an uptodate list of the updated games amongst the most uptodate list of the updated games, that actually lists the updated games that are updated ?

Ah well. I ceased to care mid-sentence. I'll check that some other day. I'm not sure why I assumed things to be already sorted out.
te_lanus: I checked with M&M7 and the size went from 659MB for non-galaxy to 778MB with galaxy
So extra 119MB per game for nothing. 100x times that... wasted hard drive space.

I'm wondering why GOG couldn't postpone the release until they have the stub installer ready, which could take only a couple of megabytes instead of 119MB? Why are they in such a hurry with this, especially if they really are going to change those to stub installers later anyway, like they promised?

Anyway, as long as the non-Galaxy installers are kept up to date and can be downloaded easily...
Post edited July 06, 2017 by timppu

ElTerprise: From what I can tell Renowned Explorer didn't get its galaxyfied installer yet, there is no option to switch. In general the (g) identifies the galaxified installer, I extracted both installer of 8bit Armies and only the (g) one includes Galaxy - as a full installer as it seems.
Seems your correct, it hasn't been galaxyfied yet...
So some game remain free of the option and are still classic for now, as is Hardwest + others.
All are identified with that " The above installer includes GOG Galaxy " wish that was denoted better.
See myself messing that up at some point in time.......Mmmmm.
Telika: Hm. I'm trying to experience first hand the option of getting the decent installers, so I'm checking the updated games from that "most up to date list of games". Is there an uptodate list of the updated games amongst the most uptodate list of the updated games, that actually lists the updated games that are updated ?

Ah well. I ceased to care mid-sentence. I'll check that some other day. I'm not sure why I assumed things to be already sorted out.
I've only tested a few games from the top of that list (8bit Armies, Aragami, Dex and Divinity Original Sin)and all of them had their installers bloated but there's apparently no way to tell which games got the bloated installers already and which didn't.
DampSquib: Seems your correct, it hasn't been galaxyfied yet...
So some game remain free of the option and are still classic for now, as is Hardwest + others.
All are identified with that " The above installer includes GOG Galaxy " wish that was denoted better.
See myself messing that up at some point in time.......Mmmmm.
Guess it just takes some time to build these installers...

Well it's better than nothing but I agree it could be more noticeable.
Post edited July 06, 2017 by ElTerprise
Hey GOG staff, you just unlocked an achievement!
You gotta boost those numbers...
Need moahr Galaxy installs at all cost
Crsldmc: Can somebody explain me then:

What's the difference between GOGDownloader Links / Classic Installer? The Galaxy one is self explained.

I love using the legacy downloader GOG had in the past. So I'd like to know if those links will still be updated.
This is my main concern too. I use the old GOG Downloader for convenience, but if it is going to download the unwanted Galaxy installer, or if the installers are going to become obsolete, I will just go back to browser downloads. Could we please get an official confirmation?
high rated
GR00T: Wow, you guys actually went through with this mind-bogglingly stupid 'solution'. I'm actually in danger of getting whiplash, because I'm shaking my head so hard. Wow. Just... wow.
Why so surprised? Was there any indication that they had reconsidered and would go with some other reasonable solution?

Breja: Now just think for a moment, how much more convenient it would be for us, if we could be given the option to set what we want to be the default download. Anyone who doesn't want to use Galaxy shouldn't have to swith to the classic installers every single time, and anyone who uses the Galaxy download once, will not need to do so again, so if they are afterwards looking for downloads through their library it will be to back up the offline installers.
MarkoH01: So if you use GALAXY to download you are getting the CLASSIC installers as default and if you use the web site you are getting the GALAXY installers as default ... yes, that sounds pretty smart. People who usually don't use Galaxy are getting the "Hey, use Galaxy - it's much better" installers so they have to search for the classic ones while the people who t already use Galaxy and don't mind it having it in every backup installer (at least according to the GOG logic people really do want such things) won't get it as default. Yep .. totally clear ...
Now now, how else may you get fed up going through the hoops, or accidentally download the installer(s) with GOG Galaxy and install the client?

Crsldmc: Can somebody explain me then:

The question is - which standalone installers are linked to the GOG Downloader? But since it's officially discontinued, I doubt that a GOG staffer will answer it, and we'll have to find out ourselves the only way possible - download one of the games in the list.

DoctorGOGgles: [...] You can not download the Galaxy installers via Galaxy, since there is no option to switch between the two installers in the menu when you use Galaxy.[...]
Looks like I may just have been spot on when I said this back then:
The most likely explanation I can think of is that someone at GOG may have finally realised that it's a pretty stupid idea to offer bundled standalone installers to those backing them up via GOG Galaxy, and decided to do the sensible thing for those users, and the rest of us just happen to benefit from it.
I'll download and inspect the GOG Galaxy installer if they hit either one of the SNK games or Shadow Warrior Classic Redux. As it stands, neither have gotten the Galaxy installer on my end.

Theoretically I could download Witcher 1, 2 or Dex, but their sizes are too large for me to ever consider them for testing Galaxy, so yes, waiting it is.
high rated
This is a bit confusing. Wouldn't it make more sense to have the bare-bones installer as the standard and the installer with Galaxy on top in an extra tab? That way you always know what's in the first tab, since each game has a bare-bones installer, and when there's a second tab you always know what it contains, since not every game has a Galaxy installer and thus the tab won't always be there. Actually, why would I want to install Galaxy multiple times anyway?

I don't really see the point of this and squirreling away the regular installer away into a separate menu is making me uncomfortable. You have to know where it is and it could more easily be discontinued without standing out as much than if it were the main download link. At the end of the day, those DRM-free offline installers is what I'm here for. They're what set apart GOG from the rest and why I favour this platform, so I'm holding you to that promise of Galaxy always remaining optional.
high rated
GR00T: Wow, you guys actually went through with this mind-bogglingly stupid 'solution'. I'm actually in danger of getting whiplash, because I'm shaking my head so hard. Wow. Just... wow.
HypersomniacLive: Why so surprised? Was there any indication that they had reconsidered and would go with some other reasonable solution?
Honestly, through all the stunts, weirdness, and questionable decisions, I actually never lost faith in the GOG staff's overall competence. Call me crazy.

But this - even though it may seem small on the scale of things - this just killed it for me. This is the absolutely most asinine 'solution' I can imagine, and I actually believed they'd come up with something different. It just blows my mind. As a consequence, I have little faith left in GOG now at all. I guess I agree with many others now that it's only a matter of time before GOG becomes completely unrecognizable from what it once was and will be no real alternative to Steam/Origin/Uplay anymore.
Fortuk: You have to know where it is and it could more easily be discontinued without standing out as much than if it were the main download link
Which is likely the whole point.
Post edited July 07, 2017 by GR00T