It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Grargar: And Pillars of Eternity has now been officially delayed for the next year.
Not surprising. With the relase of Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, Dragonfall Director
s Cut, and Divinity Original Sin. There is alot of competition. Best when everyone has had their fill of these game until they are ready for another.
Grargar: And Pillars of Eternity has now been officially delayed for the next year.
Hopefully with this, it will avoid the D:OS syndrome ie -- zillion of post release patches (and still coming albeit it has slowed down lol)
Elmofongo: Not surprising. With the relase of Wasteland 2, Shadowrun, Dragonfall Director
s Cut, and Divinity Original Sin. There is alot of competition. Best when everyone has had their fill of these game until they are ready for another.
Not like the game's ready for release this year anyway. The first beta build they released is even more shaky than WL2's first beta release. WL2's first beta was last year Dec, so it's a wide margin till WL2's release 2 weeks ago as compared to POE.
Not surprised about the delay too, too much to do yet...
Sorapak: waiting for it too!

Btw is there a set day of release? How's the game looking without going into details?
If you're not a backer, I'd recommend watching reviews and/or LPs of the release build before purchasing the game. There have been some questionable design decisions. Some things to be aware of:

> You don't get experience points by defeating enemies in combat. A small amount of experience might be gained by encountering, fighting, and learning about new types of creatures, but the primary means of gaining experience is completing quests.

> You need camping supplies to rest outside of towns or your stronghold, and the number of camping supplies that you can carry is limited by difficulty level. (3 on hard, 6 on normal, 9 on easy)

> You can create a custom party but must hire each of these adventurers using in-game currency, sacrificing the opportunity to use those resources to purchase items, etc.

> The game lacks a threat/aggro system. A mechanic called 'engagement' allows fighters to stop a certain number of opponents and gain attacks of opportunity against those who try to move past or escape.

> Wizards have been reported by some players to be weak and uninteresting in current beta builds.
Question to people is this coming to GOG?
HeadClot: Question to people is this coming to GOG?
I don't know if it's confirmed but highly likely. DRM-free is confirmed.

And about those design decisions - sounds pretty good. Well apart from wizards being boring :) I'm not expecting a BG clone anyway.
Pillars of Eternity is confirmed by developers that is coming to GOG.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity click How will I get my digital copy of the game at bottom of the screen.

[i]Once the Kickstarter ends, every backer will receive a survey asking them what platform and distribution network they would like. We now proudly support both GOG and Steam, so if you prefer DRM-free, you can choose the GOG option, and if you like Steam's integration, including achievements, and possibly cloud saves, you'll be able to choose that as well.

If you buy additional copies as add-ons, you'll be able to tell us which one you want per key.[/i]
According to the wishlist, it's in progress.
Niggles: Hopefully with this, it will avoid the D:OS syndrome ie -- zillion of post release patches (and still coming albeit it has slowed down lol)
Don't count on it. :P
Post edited October 03, 2014 by Grargar
SeduceMePlz: ...
I like that you don't get XP by defeating enemies! That's the reason why I choose fighting instead of stealth or any other way to bypass foes (or,bypass them,get the xp for the stealth/persuade "accomplishment",get back and kill them :P)

"The game lacks a threat/aggro system. A mechanic called 'engagement' allows fighters to stop a certain number of opponents and gain attacks of opportunity against those who try to move past or escape." That sounds like the heroes of might & magic online system,I like that,if this is it.

"Wizards have been reported by some players to be weak and uninteresting in current beta builds." Damn,I love spellcasting :/

the rest you're mentioned I have to see them in action :P

Thanks for the non-spoilerish info!! :D
Sorapak: I like that you don't get XP by defeating enemies! That's the reason why I choose fighting instead of stealth or any other way to bypass foes (or,bypass them,get the xp for the stealth/persuade "accomplishment",get back and kill them :P)
Yeah, it's silly really. That whole group of spiders that take some effort to defeat doesn't give you any XP at all, it's really unrewarding.
Sorapak: I like that you don't get XP by defeating enemies! That's the reason why I choose fighting instead of stealth or any other way to bypass foes (or,bypass them,get the xp for the stealth/persuade "accomplishment",get back and kill them :P)
cw8: Yeah, it's silly really. That whole group of spiders that take some effort to defeat doesn't give you any XP at all, it's really unrewarding.
Do you get loot drops from them, though? That would add a bit of excitement.

(The current RPG I'm playing takes pains to *not* give any item drops from insects, vermin, or any other kind of animal, but I *do* get gold from defeating them. Where the heck do they store it?? Coin-encrusted giant spiders?)
cw8: Yeah, it's silly really. That whole group of spiders that take some effort to defeat doesn't give you any XP at all, it's really unrewarding.
zlep: Do you get loot drops from them, though? That would add a bit of excitement.

(The current RPG I'm playing takes pains to *not* give any item drops from insects, vermin, or any other kind of animal, but I *do* get gold from defeating them. Where the heck do they store it?? Coin-encrusted giant spiders?)
They probably swallowed the coin pouch at the belt of the last poor schmuck they ate.
Sorapak: waiting for it too!

Btw is there a set day of release? How's the game looking without going into details?
SeduceMePlz: If you're not a backer, I'd recommend watching reviews and/or LPs of the release build before purchasing the game. There have been some questionable design decisions. Some things to be aware of:

> You don't get experience points by defeating enemies in combat. A small amount of experience might be gained by encountering, fighting, and learning about new types of creatures, but the primary means of gaining experience is completing quests.

> You need camping supplies to rest outside of towns or your stronghold, and the number of camping supplies that you can carry is limited by difficulty level. (3 on hard, 6 on normal, 9 on easy)

> You can create a custom party but must hire each of these adventurers using in-game currency, sacrificing the opportunity to use those resources to purchase items, etc.

> The game lacks a threat/aggro system. A mechanic called 'engagement' allows fighters to stop a certain number of opponents and gain attacks of opportunity against those who try to move past or escape.

> Wizards have been reported by some players to be weak and uninteresting in current beta builds.
Besides the last item, I approve all of those.

XP for rogues who sneak past enemies has always been maddening for me. You're not supposed to kill everything, you're supposed to finish a mission in the way you can.

Camping supplies keeps a fun tension going. I usually play with limited resting anyway, even if it doesn't have a dramatic effect on the game. I just don't like to rest a lot.

Buying characters sounds good, too. Some folks like to solo and they'll be able to get better loot at the start.

And lastly, I hate aggro. It's a terrible system. I'll see how engagement works. I prefer smart enemies who attack the strongest/most-vulnerable target just like you would. And, of course, dumb enemies who just attack whatever's hitting them. The whole "I'm beating my chest, so pay no attention to that weak mage standing right next to you blasting you with freaking meteors from the heavens" thing just breaks immersion for me.
SeduceMePlz: Some things to be aware of:
Sounds neat (aside from underpowered wizards, but I'm willing to believe that's because they're at low levels. Low level wizards in "classic" RPGs are notoriously weak). Even high level wizards are squishy as hell - respect the term "glass cannon" ! ;)

Bit of a let down about the delay, but like others have said there are quite a few of these to tide me over. Let's hope it gets some nice polish and avoids some of the drama of multiple patches to get the thing functional, within the first few days of release.