It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Just wanted to say what tapeworm said, BAdler confirmed (and I think Josh in the video too) that there are many more spells, non-combat ones. Just look at his replies in the thread. So don't be disappointed so quickly.

And another quote:
Our current plans are that we would release the DRM-free version of the game for sale on GOG to everyone.
The wording worries me a little, but I guess he just wants to cover all bases.
Reever: The wording worries me a little, but I guess he just wants to cover all bases.
I think many devs have learned their lesson about the way they state things. It's smart of them not to say anything definite, in case a deal falls through or things change that aren't under their control, but I wouldn't let it worry you.
I'd agree, the IE games (except for Planescape: Torment) were essentially dungeon-crawlers. That said, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have a small class of non-combat utility skills which can be used to solve problems, similar to how the IE games did have utility skills like Lockpicking etc. It would imo make the world Obsidian are creating feel more real if every spell you could find and add to your Grimoire wasn't just for combat.

But yeah the full spell list probably won't be known till the full game is out, so we'll see.
Post edited March 20, 2014 by Crosmando
tapeworm00: but we gotta consider this is pretty much an Inifinity Engine tribute game, and those were very, very combat-oriented, so I guess it's reasonable to expect most people want a dungeon-crawler where combat is everything.
I disagree that IE games are just dungeon crawlers. Certainly not the case for BG2. It had many non-combat spells as well, considering things like you can use Knock for opening locks.
tapeworm00: but we gotta consider this is pretty much an Inifinity Engine tribute game, and those were very, very combat-oriented, so I guess it's reasonable to expect most people want a dungeon-crawler where combat is everything.
cw8: I disagree that IE games are just dungeon crawlers. Certainly not the case for BG2. It had many non-combat spells as well, considering things like you can use Knock for opening locks.
Yeah, now I think I was exaggerating a bit when I said that. However, I do think that IE games closely follow the CRPG tradition (one of them, I mean) of being constantly geared around combat scenarios. There were many options to interact with the world and its characters in various ways, but the 'meat' of the game almost always came down to combat, even in BG 2. The fact that the biggest additions in the so-called Enhanced Edition of BG are a combat arena and a super dungeon perhaps reflects the general appreciation (flawed or not) of IE games as being combat-centric. Sure, there were new companions, but they could have spent all those resources on new lore-friendly tangential storylines. Instead, they chose dungeon-crawling, and maybe that could tell us a lot about how these games are often appreciated.
Post edited March 21, 2014 by tapeworm00
tapeworm00: The fact that the biggest additions in the so-called Enhanced Edition of BG are a combat arena and a super dungeon perhaps reflects the general appreciation (flawed or not) of IE games as being combat-centric. Sure, there were new companions, but they could have spent all those resources on new lore-friendly tangential storylines. Instead, they chose dungeon-crawling, and maybe that could tell us a lot about how these games are often appreciated.
That's probably why the BG2:EE did so poorly. When I think of BG Series, I think of my P&P D&D days. It resembled that as closely as possible. And a good Dungeon Master always had a good story, and that was the most important part. If all your dungeon master did is give you a dungeon to crawl through populated with monsters then he was a lousy DM.

I will also certify that I was one of those lousy DMs, but I was a broke teenager that couldn't afford the modules. And my stories were the best they could be...but truly horrible and simple.
Post edited March 21, 2014 by jjsimp
So... about Paradox. Paradox kind of dislikes GOG... does this mean PoE is no longer coming to GOG?
ShadowWulfe: So... about Paradox. Paradox kind of dislikes GOG... does this mean PoE is no longer coming to GOG?
They promised GOG, I am sure it will come to GOG.

Also I doubt Paradox likes or dislikes GOG. They just don't see much reason to bother outside of Steam, like most publishers.
ShadowWulfe: So... about Paradox. Paradox kind of dislikes GOG... does this mean PoE is no longer coming to GOG?
Obsidian has already confirmed that it's still coming to GOG.
Thanks guys! Hopefully we all get lucky and this is the turning point for Paradox. I would certainly hope GOG will be pumping them for further deals.
Paradox will only manage the retail distribution of the game, not the digital one
gandalf.nho: Paradox will only manage the retail distribution of the game, not the digital one
I backed for the CE box so I wonder how it's gonna be like as well.
gandalf.nho: Paradox will only manage the retail distribution of the game, not the digital one
cw8: I backed for the CE box so I wonder how it's gonna be like as well.
They probably will manage the fullfilment of the physical backer rewards too, like Deep Silver will do for inXile and Wasteland 2
Everyone selected their rewards etc? (has to be done end of March i think?)

Originally pledged $120.Picked retail 65 (still have no idea why i pledge 120 but anyways). Then thought bugger it paid extra for the Retail Collectors Edition. has the lot. Note the wording does say dvd/disk drm free...
Post edited March 30, 2014 by Niggles
Niggles: Everyone selected their rewards etc? (has to be done end of March i think?)

snip
i finally did last night b/c they finally fixed the basket system/calculations.

last week i tried to do it and it would not let me upgrade and re-calculate the paypal difference accurately. it just ignored my prior pledge and sent me to paypal for the whole lot.

i was too lazy to email them and wait for it (or do it piecemeal through emailing them + extra steps), but its fixed now.
added the expansion myself and uppered my tier to get the exclusive tier (>_<) damn those pets.

i thought it was still nebulous about when they are calling it quits on the 'finalization' on the tiers and uppering. all i remember seeing was a broad statement about wanting to let everyone have plenty of time
(might have been in the forums / faq)(also might have been way in the past in the era right after the KS ended).