It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

A thought: everyone who was talking about the flavor dissonance wrt lynches might be on to something.
drealmer7: ...

Just then, wolves howled. They sounded close, within a few hundred yards, and it could be determined that there were at least three of them, but there could have maybe been more, no one was sure.

I believe Bookwyrm alluded to this, I took the above to indicate we have at least 3 wolves, perhaps more. Werewolves make sense because otherwise, as others have pointed out, why would we be thinking about lynching one another and why did most everyone move away if we’re simply dealing with regular wolves? A regular wolf should be seen as a menace, not run for the hills (or Nashua in this case) terrifying. Conveniently, there was a full moon the night before the killing.
SirCrimsonFox: see here, I say, see here son, eatin' peeples' is not cooth, I say cooth that is.

I say you are either a wolf

or maybe just a can of bull

:fozziebear-wakka-wakka-wakka.gif:
Foghorn? Fozzie? A mash-up?
Stanari: A thought: everyone who was talking about the flavor dissonance wrt lynches might be on to something.
Intriguing. Say more.

cristigale: I believe Bookwyrm alluded to this, I took the above to indicate we have at least 3 wolves, perhaps more. Werewolves make sense because otherwise, as others have pointed out, why would we be thinking about lynching one another and why did most everyone move away if we’re simply dealing with regular wolves? A regular wolf should be seen as a menace, not run for the hills (or Nashua in this case) terrifying. Conveniently, there was a full moon the night before the killing.
"Nashua" means "Land between the two rivers." But I'll spare you all a lecture on NH history. This time.

Would be more poetic if it meant something about hills, though. I agree the full moon was quite pointedly included in the story - question is whether it's directly symbolic or meant as misdirection.

Occam's razor and all, for now it makes sense to assume there's an anti-town faction and that it probably is werewolves, and regardless might not make any tactical difference if it's something else.

But now, why "3 wolves, perhaps more"? There are 17 players. There's close to zero chance you think there are 3 wolves and 14 town, right? So...

What do you think is actually happening here? Setup/posts that stand out/which character makes the best pancakes? Anything, really.
Stanari: A thought: everyone who was talking about the flavor dissonance wrt lynches might be on to something.
bler144: Intriguing. Say more.
It's not really a fully formed thought yet, but perhaps this is an aspect of the conditions for a lynch to occur.

Or perhaps this is just me reading too much into the flavor.
This baby got going huh...

Lemme Unvote Bookwyrm first, and now to read the rest more calmly.
Killed the thread huh...

Stanari: Brasas, at least 80% of the lurker lynches I have observed or participated in ended in grief and a town flip ...
Heh

Is that so far from the typical 75% town ratio?
I'm not looking at this approach as a huge upside one, just as a low downside fallback.

And by the way, I'm a keep eyes on the ball type. I look at votes. Day 1 so far is a wash pretty much...

yogsloth: We have a werewolf problem.

I know it, you know it, they know it, the frigging dogs know it.
So cliche though... one can hope?

Bookwyrm627: I say we use the time to gather solid building materials and barricade ourselves in the Main Hall. Everyone grab an implement or two that can be used as a weapon, and any silver in the settlement. The sounds from this morning indicated there might be 3 or more werewolves about. I'd say no more than 4, though, or they'd have already been among us, enjoying a meal.

Lets set a couple of traps in the nearby woods, while we're at it.
In the RP spirit, I would not be happy to be trapped in there with Rorschach. You know what I mean? Regardless of the number... although come to think of it, do werewolves change whenever? Or just full moon? This might be a good idea afterall.

I like the traps idea though, very much. Just not sure if it actually can mean anything "in the game"...

Almost forgot, the comment about no more than 4 or else is odd to me. What the heck do you know that I don't?

bler144: I like to imagine that a little of her spirit resides in me.
Bookwyrm627: And on your left, you can see a tacit admission to having eaten poor Julie.
Heh Funny

yogsloth: I decided that making a serious attempt to lynch any of the MU players on Day 1 would be poor form.
Urgh

Who you got the hots for? Think of the children!

bler144: Dess/Brasas are harder to summarize, in part because I don’t think I read either particularly well. Brasas I’ve observed but don’t think I’ve played with. [She?] is also relatively new to playing with us, but I believe pretty experienced with this type of game, particularly the Resistance. Is that right?
"Pure" Mafia only played the previous one... open setup 7 players. I was surprised how many of you in observer thread thought me scummy. Resistance I'm good at yes.

bler144: You know this crowd, generally speaking, is unlikely to get off its collective rear until nightfall/deadline is staring us in the face.
Heh

agentcarr16: I feel like I've been insulted...
I have nothing but esteem for you and wyrm >:(

Taking the opportunity, sorry I thought you were lurking when you had done one post already.

Bookwyrm627: We've got a wood cutter, right? Do we have a carpenter?
I'm just the horse keeper... which come to think about it, might be good for you all to know, that there are horses available for whatever. Maybe a possee?

I mean, I'm pretty sure there's some town threat involving lynches to resolve, blah blah, but if it's wolves we're worried about, why not try to track them down during the day? That's what happened historically right? Wolves got hunted...

Nachomamma8: snip
0_o

I'm too old. Am I too old?

Nachomamma8: snip

To the "No Lynch" idea in 44 by Brasas... Even though Drealmer is famous for advocating no lynch, do you really think that he'd design a game where people would get rewarded for town to No Lynch just because it's something he would like to do? I like that you are at least throwing out an idea that you know will probably get you heat.

snip
Ok. I'm writing bottoms up. I covered this on the response to Bler.
And I already said somewhere I agree with Trenton until further notice.

Liked this post but had no time to follow links. In a hurry to leave home.

Nachomamma8: snip ... want to like QuadrAlien (for making the first serious attack of the game) and want to like whoever the potato suggested a no lynch (although the reaction to it was decidedly tame compared to other sites), ...

Vote: Yogsloth
Noted and Noted and Noted. And I'm not a potato :D Think of me more like a wonderful roasting location. Please.

Although perhaps that was not due to my avatar and I should feel offended :)

Bookwyrm627: Events are usually not a thing on GOG. However, I'm claiming that they are a thing, in some fashion, in this particular game. I don't know the extent, but they are a thing.

You should trust absolutely everything I say, btw. I'll vouch for it.
Hmmm >:(

What the heck is an event specifically?

bler144: ... So I agree it's a bit odd coming from Brasas whereas from wyrm/trent/cristi it could've been more of an inside joke.
To lynch or not was discussed previous game. The positions around it framed the wagon that got Drealmer lynched by an almost all town wagon. I am still not sure if in those circunstances no lynch would have been better, and was disagreeing with Wyrm on that. And guess what - Wyrm won as scum.

Plus the flavor is all kinds of mixed signals, I thought dropping that was a good gambit to get reads.

Bottom line. I'm not as much in the group think you guys have from playing together for ages. But I listen to logic.

bler144: snip ... There's really only one thing holding me back from being willing to vote him, ...
Urgh. I'm going to give my reads since I see we're there. You always think Yog is scum Bler... and I'm the one that always keeps the powder try. Spoiler - so far no one has really struck me hard as scummy - just a bunch of day 1 posturing / probing. But to be clear, I'll vote someone.

@ all

Runnign late, this will be too short and dirty.

I had the lurkers in the frowny category >:( that means only IX now.

I have a few folks I'm curious on, no particular order:
-Quadr for the early vote - which means Nacho also pinged an echo later.
-Lift for No lynch bait reaction.
-Yog for Stanari vote.
-Wyrm for the setup pushing.

I want to like Bler and Nacho, but they can fake it. Far from cleared.

IF this was it I'd still vote Ix right now. But I expect stuff will happen.
bler144: Occam's razor and all, for now it makes sense to assume there's an anti-town faction and that it probably is werewolves, and regardless might not make any tactical difference if it's something else.

But now, why "3 wolves, perhaps more"? There are 17 players. There's close to zero chance you think there are 3 wolves and 14 town, right? So...

What do you think is actually happening here? Setup/posts that stand out/which character makes the best pancakes? Anything, really.
For simplicity, I'll call the anti-town faction wolves. That's my guess at the moment. "3 or perhaps more" was just another way of saying at least 3. Just 3 wolves and the rest town seems too town-heavy. If just 3 wolves, something else is likely in play - perhaps 1 or more neutrals.

Lift mentioned cult - can't see a reason to go there having just completed a cult game. Drealmer's reaction to that game leads me to believe that his game does not include a cult.

My take is the "at least 3" tends to imply more than three. Four wolves (single team) is a decent number for a 17 player game. That would leave 13 players - could all be town or perhaps that leaves room for 1 or more neutrals.

Five wolfs or more (single team) seems too powerful.

If there are multiple wolf teams (wolf packs?), then perhaps as many as 6 wolfs total (2 packs of 3) and 11 town. I'm not sure if multiple wolf packs fits as well with the flavor. It could also be two different types of anti-town - i don't see anything specific flavor wise.

With the emphasis that drealmer has placed on the village and how everyone banded together to make it a success, I expect town to be a sizable contingent. Therefore, I'm less inclined to believe we have a game with lots of teams - more than what is already mentioned.

Now if the flavor I quoted is just flavor, then who knows. I still expect a decent size town. Drealmer may have some tricks up his sleeve that proves my theories completely off. I assume JMich and Krypsyn both approved of the setup so I don't expect it to get too crazy - but there could be some curve balls. My initial guess (4 wolves and 12-13 town) may be too simplistic.
Nachomamma8: To Lift's 76, what makes this game different to where proposing a No Lynch is fine and dandy? Why is proposing a No Lynch scummy in the first place?
(The reasoning in a normal game goes like this: Day 1 is the hardest Day to play, since Town doesn't have any information to go on. Town gains information by lynches and their subsequent flips (reveal of the role and alignment upon death). So even if the Day 1 lynch is a mis-lynch, town gains something: they get to investigate the train that lead to the lynch and can get a feeling on who was too eager to lynch a townie, who hammered and why and so on. Especially in closed games, where one doesn't know if a Cop exists, lynching is initially the only way for town to gain information. So a no-lynch on Day 1 leads to a Day 2, which is just as much without information and just as difficult to play. However, this reasoning is not as absolute if town has a strong set of investigative roles and/or the game doesn't provide flips on lynch. Lynching is also diminished in usefulness, if town doesn't really investigate the train on the next day, which happens far too often around here.
In this game? I have no idea. I don't know what the lynch mechanics are and if there will be flips. I assume that lynching is good for town. But there is no in-game justification for it this time and that makes it very difficult to propose a lynch while staying in character.)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

IC (in character):

While helping to build some fortifications and traps around the village, Sean-O is talking to the others around him. "Some of you seem to suggest, that the culprit or culprits of these crimes be among us. Be it werewolves or some wolf-trainer. Some even have started to suggest someone of our own. While I think that's a bit premature, there are some of us who behave oddly and whom I would suspect gravely. If the unthinkable has happened and some of us have turned monsters or murderers.
Eric (Yogsloth) joked that poor Julie was delicious. That is so disgusting that no sane man would joke about it. So either he is not sane or it was a slip of the tongue and he really DID eat her!
Fergie (Nachomamma) appeared very late. Where was he hiding? And he joked about havin wolf-friends. Which displays a very bad taste if it was a joke at all. But it might be. It's not quite as insane as talking about the taste of a dead girl.
Craig was speaking oddly when the Day started. Almost as if he was still suffering from some ailment or mental malady. He sounded like one of those undead in the horror stories uncle bill used to read. But again, that might have been a joke. Or not.
But worst of all: some of us aren't present! And if anyone of us really had something to do with the death of poor Julie, wouldn't it be logical that they now hide in the forest? Or at least had to be in the forest and ran away at first. We heard the howling recede. So whoever is missing is also suspect.

I say: as soon as Emma (Ixamyakxim) appears, we should really question her strongly as to where she was! It is not normal that someone takes so long to appear after the village bell has been rung!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VOTE Ixamyakxim

(Lynch all lurkers! They always damage Town, as discussed frequently in other games.
Other than that I mostly suspect Yogs and, to a slightly lesser degree, Nachomamma. Although if it turns out we have zombies instead of or in addition to werewolves, bookwyrm becomes a suspect!)
Stanari, my apologies; I don't even think a "Stenari" is a thing so I don't really have any idea where that came from. That being said, I'm a little surprised that you didn't engage more with my post. Sure, what I've had to say so far isn't exactly revolutionary (or even significant), but still I expected... something.

Nachomamma8: Although now that I see Stenari engaging in RP, could someone fill me in on whether Bookwyrm's "Event" thing is something that should probably be trusted or no?
Bookwyrm627: Events are usually not a thing on GOG. However, I'm claiming that they are a thing, in some fashion, in this particular game. I don't know the extent, but they are a thing.

You should trust absolutely everything I say, btw. I'll vouch for it.
It's my personal expectation that if you were specially informed of Events being a thing that you would bring it up as soon as possible; your timing seemed off and I don't see how it enriches the game in any way shape or form to inform one player of Events as opposed to the playerlist as a whole. Sorry if I'm being a "wet blanket", I'm kind of known for being one of those :(

Bler, I've read the OP pretty thoroughly (my hope was to learn from the signup thread and not break a rule as soon as I made a post), and I didn't see anything from events. If Bookwyrm did see something in the OP that everyone missed, I'd expect that he would point it out instead of pretend that it was a special knowledge given to him.

Nachomamma8: I'm not really a fan of Yogsloth's opening; pushing for the lurker lynch so early seems unlike him, it feels like today would be a wasted day if we just potato'ed around the entire time and then ended on a lurker lynch and I feel him more than others would be aware of that and more prodding to get things going, also thought that pushing on Stenari for being serious while everyone was still corn-deep in potato land was also a bit strange if he's trying to be all extra friendly to the MUers.
bler144: I have this suspicion/theory that yogsloth invited his friends from various forums back to his hometown, drew mafia/wolf, and was just 100% trapped. If he wolfed one way, it would look suspicious to the hometown crowd, if he wolfed the other way he'd get snared by the ringers he'd invited in.

But maybe he's just the guy who invited his hot college g/f home and then is embarrassed to actually show her around to meet his high school friends, because man, they are dorks. And by they, I mean we.

His post about the trombone probably felt the most off to me. He didn't bring a show of force, he didn't counter, he didn't try and townie his way out of it, just made a personal barb and clammed up.

There's really only one thing holding me back from being willing to vote him, which is a card I handed him on purpose to see how he'd play it. And so far I...think he's playing it like town who thinks I'm town? But the rest of what he's doing, yeah, that feels off.
I follow some of this (wolfing being awkward due to dealing with multiple metas at once, me being yogsloth's hot college girlfriend), and didn't understand the significance of the trombone post until I actually clicked the link and saw that you didn't say "WANH WANH WANH WANH". I agree that his response to that is strange.

Stanari: I can empathize deeply.

Real talk: not a fan of yog, but given my epic failure to read him as scum, this could mean anything.
Why aren't you a fan of yog so far? Is there something in particular from him that you've disliked?
Right now it seems like a failure to read him as scum means that you're no longer attempting to read him at all, which is not the Oakwood Village way; get back up on that horse and try again, Justin Dawson.

Brasas, you mentioned voting lurkers as being a "downside fallback" sort of thing but it's the type of thing that you proposed <48 hours into the game and continue to mention now which seems kind of odd if it's a last resort type of move; am I misinterpreting something here?

I'm not really sure why you're uncomfortable with early votes in general. Was there a reason you think that my vote on Yogsloth was too early? What pro-town reason is there to wait?

Why did Yog's Stanari vote bother you? What do you mean by "No Lynch Bait" reaction?

Lift, I'm unsure why you legitimately suspect me or yog for making wolf jokes. Do you think that this is something wolves are more likely to do than villagers? Why? Do you really think there could be zombies in this game or was that a joke? Do you have suspicion that isn't founded in calling people out for jokes or not showing up yet?
And I shouldn't be posting right now but I'm testing double-posting thing and I don't feel like I addressed Lift's most recent the way I wanted to. Lift, you made the argument that lynching is an important step for town to take in order to turn a completely muddled game into a slightly less argument. I understand that. What I don't understand is why this game is different (as in why proposing a No Lynch would be acceptable here when it wouldn't be acceptable elsewhere); you talk about wonky lynch mechanics and the like, but I don't think there's anything pointing us to "No Lynching" and forgoing that particular piece of information.

Does that make sense?
Please tell me that makes sense.
Nachomamma8: And I shouldn't be posting right now but I'm testing double-posting thing and I don't feel like I addressed Lift's most recent the way I wanted to. Lift, you made the argument that lynching is an important step for town to take in order to turn a completely muddled game into a slightly less argument. I understand that. What I don't understand is why this game is different (as in why proposing a No Lynch would be acceptable here when it wouldn't be acceptable elsewhere);
( I think I already answered that several times. Talking about no-lynch is acceptable in this game, because it fits the flavour and some of us are trying to roleplay. And (in character) we don't have a reason to want a lynch so far. Our characters don't know they are in a game and they don't know they need a lynch and a flip. As far as they are concerned what we need is every single defender alive. Why would we weaken ourselves as long as wolves or monsters that sound like wolves are out there, as long as we don't have any hard evidence, that some of these monsters are hiding among us?
My suspicions are in the same vein. On Day 1, we don't have any evidence to go on. So I go with the flavour and someone talking about the taste of a victim that has just been eaten, HAS to appear offensive and suspicious to those around him. Do I think that wolves are more likely to make bad jokes than not-wolves? No. That way WIFOM lies. "I wouldn't have told this joke, drawing suspicion to myself, if I were a wolf." ... "Yea. But that's exactly what a wolf would say too."

But that's also why my vote is NOT on one of those jokers, but on a lurker. It's the only thing that makes sense both in character and as a player. A lurker ALWAYS is bad for town. Lurkers don't contribute to the game. They don't reveal anything about themselves and they don't try to find out anything about others and their behavior can't be analysed on the next Day, because there is nothing to analyse. It is very easy for scum to hide behind lurking, to fly below the radar. So a lurker is either scum, trying to hide. Or a lurker is a thoroughly useless townie. On Day 1 we risk hitting town anyhow and it's better to lose someone useless than to lose someone, who actually plays the game and is trying to help town. Additionally many players actually find it more difficult to find something to write when they are scum. So lynching a lurker even has a better chance to hit scum than lynching anyone at random.

Therefore my Day 1 policy is and always has been: lynch a lurker, unless something better arises. Like someone appearing to have made a genuine slip. ... And in this game I like this policy even more, because it benefits the game and fits the flavour too. Because who is more suspicious than someone hiding in the woods, where the monsters are? )
bler144: WANH WANH WANH WANH
WANH WANH WANHWAWAWA WAAAAAANH WAH

Seems uncharacteristic.
yogsloth: Did you know you sound like a trombone when you talk?
gee SOMEONE is charlieborwn's teachering all over people...
Nachomamma8: I enter.

Yes, it is I, the nightmare of the most grotesque monstrosities that have ever existed, conqueror of men and gods alike. Yes, I am that dark thing formed by your sick and twisted paranoid minds that somehow needed things more terrifying than drought! The Plague! Sexism!

Indeed, I ENTER. For, you see... the advantages of a nightmare such as me are vast and endless. The advantages are so numerous that even the people who give a crap about math have not been able to invent a number high enough to count my advantages!

HUEHUE
HUEHUEHUE

They try, they get to like 100,000 or however many numbers those dumb people get at in the 1700s or 1600s or whenever the hell they are and they grab each other! And they go "WHAT IS NEXT????". Yes, like children they grab each other! And ask what is next because they DO NOT KNOW.

Ah, yes, my advantages are great. For those of you who have not soiled yourselves yet from fear or retreated to Nashua along with those other weak-kneed wussies (my own loved ones not counted among their number, my loved ones are visiting their Grandma in Nashua for unrelated reasons), let me terrify you further with my advantages.

I grow your potatoes. All of your potatoes, they are grown by these gnarled hands. And your corn. Have you ever tried to cook dinner without potatoes and corn? Well, step out of line and my god will you cook dinner without potatoes and corn, and you will SUFFER, you will suffer terribly from malnutrition and you will STARVE because it's not dinner without potatoes and corn. And I would know, being that I fled from Ireland because of the lack of potatoes and why I created my massive potato empire the second I stepped in to conquer this town.

Yes, and my advantages are my WOLF FRIENDS. Have you read Dancing with Wolves?. Of course you haven't, it hasn't been invented yet because my WOLF FRIENDS and I have yet to come to your houses and RIP OUT YOUR THROATS and DECORATE WALLS WITH YOUR BLOOD and SING HEAVY METAL SONGS TO YOUR SIGNIFICANT OTHERS AND YOUR CHILDREN.

HUE HUE

HEUHEUEHIEWUBGWEHLJBFHGEKOHJFVLREJGCO;IE2KFQ;WSLDCNVEACBJCWEJSDBV;KVBS;DVBARRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Oh. Oh dear.
Nasty, nasty cough that.

As I was saying, me and my COW FRIENDS will come to your house and... we will come... to your house and... feed you! My cow friends will throw themselves into your fireplace and cook themselves! So we can have burgers and potatoes and corn and we can all be FULL FRIENDS who do not starve and who have fun times together! Ha. Ha. Ha. Friendship is exciting!
Uh....wow and uh uh wow and things. Come on over mister!

I've never seen instant cows before! Are they the same color as regular cows?

Is there a way you can tell?

What flavor are they?

I have so many questions.
yogsloth: ?
*In character* I raised you better than to sit quietly while others try to slander your name!

*out of character* I am concerned that yogsloth has disappeared after making the trombone comment. Several people have noted how they have not liked what he has been doing in his posts and he has had no response. He as been one of the most active people in the game so far, his sudden disappearance seems odd.

Also, I am concerned that Emma (Ixamyakxim) has not arrived yet, as much time as has passed since the bell rang to bring everyone together he should have made an appearance by now.

@Nacho, the wolf joke you made when I first saw it made me go "WTH is he thinking, that is so scummy to say" and I almost voted you for it. Then I realized it was akin to what another player (dedoporno) always does every game he plays, he posts a meme when someone accuses him of being scum saying something along the lines of "Bitch I might be". The first game he did it I was all over him for doing so, pointing out how scummy it was and if he was town then he shouldn't be saying that. He ended up being town that game and it turned into a running joke between us since then, and made me realize that sometimes a joke is just a joke.