It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Building castles in the sky.

No Man's Sky, the ambitious open-space exploration game in a procedurally-generated universe, just received a massive update appropriately named NEXT.

It brings a whole bunch of changes and additions across the board, most notably:

- Option to switch between first and third person view at will
- Visual upgrades to ships, NPCs, buildings, terrain textures, space vistas - pretty much everything
- You can now build far more complex bases anywhere on the planet
- Build your own fleet, upgrade it, and send it out or keep it close while exploring a system

The multiplayer element of NEXT is not yet included in the DRM-free edition of the game. Read more about the delay below:

"[i]From launch, the DRM-free edition of No Man's Sky will include all single-player content introduced by NEXT: third-person mode, upgraded visuals, better base building, player customization, and more.

However the multiplayer component will not be ready at launch; we expect it to be released later this year as full multiplayer parity remains in the pipeline.

For a small, independent studio, developing the feature across multiple platforms is a hugely ambitious and technical challenge which resulted in this delayed release. Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform.

We appreciate your immense support and patience.

- Hello Games & GOG.COM Team[/i]"
You shouldn't reward false advertisement in any case.

FYI: game engine is broken. Unoptimized AF. so much FPS drops and unused HW resources.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by gagcom
arnoldlayne: f**k it. Just bought it and saw this.
Refund it and buy it on steam, sad but your only option in PC
mechmouse: Absolutely Not

Steam Needs a direct competitor, and GoG's the closest thing available.

GoG is doing both, old games keep coming in, but they should also be getting new game too.

I'm here because I don't want my games controlled by a 3rd party, specially one as restrictive as Steam.

Does it suck we're missing out, yes.

But GoG are working with Hello games to give us an equal product.
Don't disagree with Steam needing competition but as soon as you're playing a game that requires GOG Galaxy to play part of it, you *are* playing a game controlled by a 3rd party. It's just a matter of degrees at that point.

desmon24: Refund it and buy it on steam, sad but your only option in PC
Could at least give them some time to clarify when 'later in the year' is likely to be.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Pheace
MasterW: Awesome work, thanks GoG!

Don't care at all about MP myself but I understand the frustration. However, judging on the past GoG is probably not to blame for this. It's finally time to buy this game after all the failed hype!
Patch was announced ages ago. If nothing the GOG guys should have checked if the MP part is going to be implemented or not, and notify buyers before.

I really doubt that NMS is only MP game on GOG and that this is their first rodeo.

That being said, I've asked for a refund, after several years of waiting - this was a bit too much for me.
Pheace: Could at least give them some time to clarify when 'later in the year' is likely to be.
As if they didn't have time to clarify. We got to know about this stuff today, last minute. They had all past months to explain themselves.
This is not good, it seems that GOG is not so friendly after all... I don't blame them, nor Hello Games, I don't know who's fault, but this is a business after all and what you cannot do is sell half a product, or at least don't do it without reporting about the non feature things... if I pay 60€ for a game I want the same game as the ones who plays in on steam, xbox or ps4.
GOG didn't know anything? Well, now they know, why is not there a warning or something in the NMS page to inform new buyers of the situation? Yes, there is news now in the headlines section, but it will buried with other news in a few days and future buyers will not know about the whole situation... and this is on GoG, they need to tell everything tovus before we buy a product from its store. I love GOG but if they don't do anything right i think i have, as a user and customer, the right to expose what i think, no hard feelings.
mechmouse: Absolutely Not

Steam Needs a direct competitor, and GoG's the closest thing available.

GoG is doing both, old games keep coming in, but they should also be getting new game too.

I'm here because I don't want my games controlled by a 3rd party, specially one as restrictive as Steam.

Does it suck we're missing out, yes.

But GoG are working with Hello games to give us an equal product.
The problem is: desastrous feedback and information from Hellogames and also from GOG (this article here was written 8 hours before release) ... they knew that multiplayer @ GOG would't work for NEXT. They knew several multiplayer features in ATLAS RISES would't work @ GOG and always promised to deliver. They hav a small team, but they focused to port to XBOX instead keeping promise. Since release in 2016 they said No Man Sky has multiplayer components (chance of meeting each other) ... in Germany a lot of people would say, what Hellogames did is "Betrug" -> "fraud, scam, deceit".
desmon24: Refund it and buy it on steam, sad but your only option in PC
Done! Thanks. Gog were good and quick about it.
ThorChild: Let people use GOG connect for NMS, so those that really must play MP (as promised) can transfer their GOG purchase to their Steam accounts and play the game they paid for here, help ease the levels of toxicity :)
GoG Connect doesn't work that way. It can only allow you a GoG copy if you own it on Steam, not the other way around. That said, maybe the publisher can do something about it.
Pheace: Could at least give them some time to clarify when 'later in the year' is likely to be.
Considering they said a similar thing about the previous pseudo-multiplayer and then never implemented it, I wouldn't even rely on getting multiplayer at all. This is a really disgusting situation. I can't believe I bought this game on launch day and stuck with it. I'm too damn slow on the uptake but finally realise that I've been screwed over.
oops, he fixed it :-) and my reply was slow so ignore this blank post.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Marzipan71
So what to expect until the end of the year to play multiplayer?
I've been playing this game exclusively single player. It's the thing I wanted when it was released and all was fine.

However, with this update I was hoping to get a friend of mine involved as we enjoy exploration games and just a somewhat more chill game experience with some combat/event peaks. And NMS is pretty good for that. Sadly that seems to be out of the question for now.

I'll be either waiting till the GOG version hits parody or in the mid-future if it doesn't we'll pick it up in a Steam sale and do it that way.

I'm not angry about this but I am a bit disappointed in Hello Games as this gives a big double thumbs up that DRM is good and if you don't you're just out of luck, you'll have to wait and sit it out till whenever. It makes me a lot more hesitant to pick up anything else they might do in the future, especially at launch. GOG itself isn't entirely in the clear either as they must have known but rather not deal with it till it dropped. If nothing else it makes them look poor. Try to not do it like that again.

That is all really.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Stormdragonblue
mantes: So what to expect until the end of the year to play multiplayer?
If they even add it. They never added the Atlas Rises multiplayer either. I wouldn't get your hopes up. Request a refund or Steam key from GoG/HelloGames.
mantes: So what to expect until the end of the year to play multiplayer?
Flammablezeus: If they even add it. They never added the Atlas Rises multiplayer either. I wouldn't get your hopes up. Request a refund or Steam key from GoG/HelloGames.
How can I request steam key? I have the game for over a year..