It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Building castles in the sky.

No Man's Sky, the ambitious open-space exploration game in a procedurally-generated universe, just received a massive update appropriately named NEXT.

It brings a whole bunch of changes and additions across the board, most notably:

- Option to switch between first and third person view at will
- Visual upgrades to ships, NPCs, buildings, terrain textures, space vistas - pretty much everything
- You can now build far more complex bases anywhere on the planet
- Build your own fleet, upgrade it, and send it out or keep it close while exploring a system

The multiplayer element of NEXT is not yet included in the DRM-free edition of the game. Read more about the delay below:

"[i]From launch, the DRM-free edition of No Man's Sky will include all single-player content introduced by NEXT: third-person mode, upgraded visuals, better base building, player customization, and more.

However the multiplayer component will not be ready at launch; we expect it to be released later this year as full multiplayer parity remains in the pipeline.

For a small, independent studio, developing the feature across multiple platforms is a hugely ambitious and technical challenge which resulted in this delayed release. Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform.

We appreciate your immense support and patience.

- Hello Games & GOG.COM Team[/i]"
Zimnel: GoG should consider making this game available in GoG connect, so we don't have to repurchase the game in Steam to enjoy multiplayer.
That's not how GOG connect works, it only goes Steam -> GOG, not the other way around.
BuryTomorrow: I wasn't actually aware that in order to let others know that you don't agree with their point of view, you actually had to try to make a joke of their thoughts and feels.

Kind of sad.
SpookyMulder322: It's not like everyone's mom died. Get a grip.
People may overreact- However, it's not that every post is overreacting. I'm actuallly reading a lot of comments in the "Well crap, it sucks" and that's it. There might be a little drama over here and there.

Unless, you have something personal against others feeling bad about something you clearly intend on showing the people here that you don't.

I wouldn't count on your way of making others reflect on their "mistake" being very successful at the moment, though. But you can go ahead and play the tough guy role in a forum thread, if you're into that kind of thing.

--------------------------

On a more thread related kind of things, logged in, tried the update. I can certainly taste some interesting quality of life changes in it. Map markers. I'm actually liking those things, a lot. A more polished story mode, more hints, improved tutorials... for the first time in a long time, I'm enjoying this game. That means it's a good update for me.

I'm really looking forward to mp and coop base building+exploration. And come to think of it, Battle for Azeroth is out in a month, so it's not like I'm going to have that much time to pour into NMS' mp. Still, I really wish for you guys to get it asap.
high rated
Back in the day we thought GameSpy was bad.

It's plain stupid that you can't even have PC games connect to each other semi-reliably thanks to platform crap like this.
IwubCheeze: "Elliot......I mean......GOG you IDIOT!!! I WANTED THIS AND WAITED BLAH BLAH. Find the people responsible, I want them killed!!!!".
Here, have a cookie, that reference alone deserves it, need to check that game again sometime soon.

On the NMS subject, from the single player POV i dont think i'm missing anything with this update, so cheers for releasing it. Understandable that those that give value to MP are upset, altough the level of the outrage is "outrageous" :).
will it have crossplay with steam and/or consoles?
That excuse is a load of crap. They had it out no problem for steam, ps4 and xbox.
This is clearly a case of because we are drm free, they don't want to give us MP. That industry lingo for cross play is just a damn excuse. Shame on Hello Games and shame on GOG for not holding them accountable for this.
Varacka: This is clearly a case of because we are drm free, they don't want to give us MP.
Since the multiplayer would require Galaxy, drm-free can't really be the issue.
high rated
First things first. WOW.

I love GOG and NMS enough to have put in some effort and had my thread on modding NMS become a stickied/topped thread in the NMS forum. I always like to help anyone that comes to the NMS forum with questions, either with answers or dry humour if i have no answers! :)

I was NOT expecting this as i logged out of GOG yesterday, maybe the usual delay in getting an NMS update later than Steam (and seeing the usual chorus of people threatening to leave GOG for Steam etc - happens every single update for NMS!), but not a COMPLETE lack of comparative functionality over the most talked about aspect of the NEXT update!

That is something out of left-field!

So GOG users have a year (or so) or maybe never (these things can happen!) to see parity with the other platforms (Xbox/PS4/Steam). I completely understand the frustration and anger that many people are going to vent over this, we gamers are the least patient and understanding of creatures! But i have answers/suggestions for all involved :)

For the GOG NMS user:

Don't let this disappointment define you. Don't let the levels of toxicity in you rise to the levels we saw over the original release of NMS all those years ago. And the reason why is quite simple, it is not good for your health (Physical or Mental). NMS is just a game. So keep that in mind while we work out what to do going forward :)

For GOG and Hello Games:

Would not like to be in your guys shoes, but there is hope :)

Let people use GOG connect for NMS, so those that really must play MP (as promised) can transfer their GOG purchase to their Steam accounts and play the game they paid for here, help ease the levels of toxicity :)

For Hello Games:

Steam has been designed to 'lock' you into it, either as a user or developer! As a small team you need to be aware of that as you build systems in your games that relay on Steam. Try to avoid those as much as possible to keep your games as platform agnostic as possible.

------------------------------------

Good luck to all involved, the angry frustrated GOG user and both teams at GOG and Hello Games. We can get through this by making the right decisions :)

And thanks for Hello Games for carrying on to support and improve NMS. NEXT deserves to be huge for you guys and I look forward to the future development of NMS.
Varacka: This is clearly a case of because we are drm free, they don't want to give us MP.
Pheace: Since the multiplayer would require Galaxy, drm-free can't really be the issue.
I'm well aware but I can't see any other legit reason for this bullshit. There is no way the exuses they gave were true at all.
It's funny how people try to calm down the others. If I spent so much money on this, I would surely demand some action from GOG, like a Steam key or a refund, but no, let's pretend that nothing happened..
Anyway, I don't care. I didn't buy it day one, I waited for reviews, and I still won't buy it seeing what's going on.
And if anyone is still hoping for a LAN multiplayer, he should finally wake up, because it's not going to be anything better than GOG Galaxy, if anything...

In my opinion GOG should keep to old good games which were single-player or LAN or with built-in netcode. Going for a new games when they do not have enough leverage to make developers deliver a fair and equal product is hurting customers. Other option would be to sell these kind of games, but to admit from the start that they might not get patches, multiplayer or other features and sell them at lower prices.
Awesome work, thanks GoG!

Don't care at all about MP myself but I understand the frustration. However, judging on the past GoG is probably not to blame for this. It's finally time to buy this game after all the failed hype!
f**k it. Just bought it and saw this.
GOG.com: Building castles in the sky.

No Man's Sky, the ambitious open-space exploration game in a procedurally-generated universe, just received a massive update appropriately named NEXT.

It brings a whole bunch of changes and additions across the board, most notably:

- Option to switch between first and third person view at will
- Visual upgrades to ships, NPCs, buildings, terrain textures, space vistas - pretty much everything
- You can now build far more complex bases anywhere on the planet
- Build your own fleet, upgrade it, and send it out or keep it close while exploring a system

The multiplayer element of NEXT is not yet included in the DRM-free edition of the game. Read more about the delay below:

"[i]From launch, the DRM-free edition of No Man's Sky will include all single-player content introduced by NEXT: third-person mode, upgraded visuals, better base building, player customization, and more.

However the multiplayer component will not be ready at launch; we expect it to be released later this year as full multiplayer parity remains in the pipeline.

For a small, independent studio, developing the feature across multiple platforms is a hugely ambitious and technical challenge which resulted in this delayed release. Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform.

We appreciate your immense support and patience.

- Hello Games & GOG.COM Team[/i]"
Luckily, i'm one of the (probably) few who doesn't care at all about multiplayer. That said, they must have known, after all the madness since launch, that multiplayer was the single biggest feature players were crying out for. This is kind of turning NMS into a complete farce again. Hello Games must accept the blame for continiung to rub salt in the wounds of so many angry gamers forced to wait... again, whilst all other platforms get multiplayer, leaving honest GoG buyers waitng for an unknown time and being left far behind other players. I think those players are more than entitled to demand a reason why, or ask for their money back.
In the meantime, i'll enjoy what we've got immensely... but i fully sympathise with fellow GoGster's who are upset by being treated like second class citizens when they paid good money for this game.
For me one of the main reasons NMS is so atmospheric is because of the feeling of being completely alone on these planets, I think multiplayer would kinda lessen this feeling.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Crosmando
high rated
inc09nito: It's funny how people try to calm down the others. If I spent so much money on this, I would surely demand some action from GOG, like a Steam key or a refund, but no, let's pretend that nothing happened..
Anyway, I don't care. I didn't buy it day one, I waited for reviews, and I still won't buy it seeing what's going on.
And if anyone is still hoping for a LAN multiplayer, he should finally wake up, because it's not going to be anything better than GOG Galaxy, if anything...

In my opinion GOG should keep to old good games which were single-player or LAN or with built-in netcode. Going for a new games when they do not have enough leverage to make developers deliver a fair and equal product is hurting customers. Other option would be to sell these kind of games, but to admit from the start that they might not get patches, multiplayer or other features and sell them at lower prices.
Absolutely Not

Steam Needs a direct competitor, and GoG's the closest thing available.

GoG is doing both, old games keep coming in, but they should also be getting new game too.

I'm here because I don't want my games controlled by a 3rd party, specially one as restrictive as Steam.

Does it suck we're missing out, yes.

But GoG are working with Hello games to give us an equal product.