It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Building castles in the sky.

No Man's Sky, the ambitious open-space exploration game in a procedurally-generated universe, just received a massive update appropriately named NEXT.

It brings a whole bunch of changes and additions across the board, most notably:

- Option to switch between first and third person view at will
- Visual upgrades to ships, NPCs, buildings, terrain textures, space vistas - pretty much everything
- You can now build far more complex bases anywhere on the planet
- Build your own fleet, upgrade it, and send it out or keep it close while exploring a system

The multiplayer element of NEXT is not yet included in the DRM-free edition of the game. Read more about the delay below:

"[i]From launch, the DRM-free edition of No Man's Sky will include all single-player content introduced by NEXT: third-person mode, upgraded visuals, better base building, player customization, and more.

However the multiplayer component will not be ready at launch; we expect it to be released later this year as full multiplayer parity remains in the pipeline.

For a small, independent studio, developing the feature across multiple platforms is a hugely ambitious and technical challenge which resulted in this delayed release. Hello Games is however joining forces with GOG.COM to introduce full multiplayer via the GOG Galaxy platform.

We appreciate your immense support and patience.

- Hello Games & GOG.COM Team[/i]"
HMPinto: I pre-ordered NMS on GOG back in May 2015. The game still doesn't have everything promised for release.
How about giving us the option to activate NMS on Steam?
liquidsnakehpks: Maybe its not official but some developers are known to give steam keys to people requesting with a receipt of the drm free copy of the game bought here , in such sad situations ...... maybe you can contact hello games and see what happens
How about Hello Games having it as an option for GOG owners of the game?
Why do I have to jump through extra hoops to try and finally play the game i paid for 3 years ago?
Regardless of the technical challenge, NEXT was pitched as "the multiplayer update". So now just because we chose to use a platform which supports developers far more than any other, we have to wait? Just because HG dropped the ball on Gog support?

I want a steam key, and I feel it's only fair that all gog users are provided with an option for multiplayer on a different platform at no cost. I pre-ordered back in 2016 and never made a fuss and supported the game right up til this point. I didn't wait patiently all this time just to have my continued support for HG thrown in my face. Not good enough.
low rated
"Whine whine whine." DRM-free, if I have to wait a little longer then so be it.
SpookyMulder322: "Whine whine whine." DRM-free, if I have to wait a little longer then so be it.
I wasn't actually aware that in order to let others know that you don't agree with their point of view, you had to try to make a joke of their thoughts and feels.

Kind of sad.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by BuryTomorrow
SpookyMulder322: "Whine whine whine." DRM-free, if I have to wait a little longer then so be it.
BuryTomorrow: I wasn't actually aware that in order to let others know that you don't agree with their point of view, you actually had to try to make a joke of their thoughts and feels.

Kind of sad.
It's not like everyone's mom died. Get a grip.
cool
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Plumb
NP I can wait.
The graphics are a little better but the gameplay is worse. Everything is several orders of magnitude more complicated than it used to be for no apparent reason. Wanna open a space chest? No, you can't just click the chest, you've got to remove a blob of worthless scrap, place said scrap in your inventory, then open your inventory and delete the scrap so you have room for whatever was in the chest in the first place.

Also the game still has some sort of major memory leak. Frame rates are smooth when you first load the game but each planet you visit subsequently becomes choppier and choppier.

The second biggest disappointment of 2016!
Announcements like this seem to be a rallying cry for all the disappointed people who have been waiting for the most potent time to complain.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by badon
MonkeysLP: EVERYONE!

Just note that this isn't GoG's fault. They don't control what the developers develop or don't develop. Blame Hello Games for this.

However! What GoG CAN but most likely WON'T do is hold HG accountable for their actions and force them to offer refunds to those who ask for a refund.

If you're Australian, this is a legal right.

If you're not Australian, feel free to contact your credit card company and ask them to charge back the payment. Explain the situation. They will do it without any complaints if you have a half decent bank.

Do give GoG the opportuntiy to refund you first though, because charge backs will cost them not only the money they have to refund, but extra fees on top of that.
It's not entirely GOG's fault, but some blame rests with them. HBS released a crippled version of multiplayer focused Necropolis, promised multiplayer 1 day, then abandoned it because it was too hard to do on GOG's platform. Other games are crippled with lesser releases/ missing features. At some point, you have to look at the common thread; these games are all updated on Steam with no issue, feature complete on Steam with no issue. On GOG, though, there's too much rigamaroll. At some point, you have to look at why games aren't updated here. I can't believe it's on all the developers, some of whom claim they've submitted their patches months ago only to have it not available.

In the end GOG has to absorb some responsibility for making their platform untenable to many developers. These aren't 1 or 2 fringe cases, but rather a significant portion of games here.
Fins_FinsT: How do you know this?

From wikipedia, the definition for DRM: "DRM technologies try to control the use
NatsuruNat: there you go, this is why you cant play the new hammerwatch game multiplayer without gog galaxy.
It seems that one can't play the new hammerwatch game without _some_ client - be it Gog Galaxy or Steam. Because i see no stand-alone offer on that game's website, the developer is sending people straight to steam. This means that most likely, that particular game (just like many others) relies on such clients' functionality for network functionality.

I.e., it seems to me that it is technically impossible to have multiplayer in Hammerwatch "on its own". If so, then Gog Galaxy does not "prevent" you from having MP-without-Galaxy-running: quite the opposite, it enables you to have MP thanks to Galaxy's extra service to the game.

This is not DRM. This is extra service one should be grateful for.

P.S. It is only a recent development that Valve made _some_ of their network protocols open-sourse and pubslihed their source code ( https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=Valve-Networking-Code-Opened ), thus making it possible to use those without using steam. Previously, and still much to this days, developers are _forced_ to either do double-job of implementing their own networking functions _and_ also implement networking via Valve protocols whenever they desire to allow steam-based multiplayer, and then to keep debugging this "dual" networking approach as the game matures - OR just rely on steam / Valve for networking parts. Obviously lots of developers just can't afford the former, and since Valve networking is designed - intentionally, - to be significantly easier to use, lots of projects just use that. Therefore, such games are not technically able to do multiplayer without steam (or gog) running certain network functions for the game. There is simply no code in such games' files which would allow all the needed connectivity.
Post edited July 25, 2018 by Fins_FinsT
What's a little more waiting? I appreciate that HG and GOG are promising to bring multiplayer. I do wish that HG had prioritized the more consumer friendly platform (GOG) first; it says to me a lot to the values of the company itself.

Thank you HG for continuing to develop free DLC. Thank you GOG for being a great platform. Much love to the hardworkers at both companies.
Fins_FinsT: I.e., it seems to me that it is technically impossible to have multiplayer in Hammerwatch "on its own". If so, then Gog Galaxy does not "prevent" you from having MP-without-Galaxy-running: quite the opposite, it enables you to have MP thanks to Galaxy's extra service to the game.
The first one on gog supports multiplayer 100% without galaxy.
MischiefMaker: The graphics are a little better but the gameplay is worse. Everything is several orders of magnitude more complicated than it used to be for no apparent reason. Wanna open a space chest? No, you can't just click the chest, you've got to remove a blob of worthless scrap, place said scrap in your inventory, then open your inventory and delete the scrap so you have room for whatever was in the chest in the first place.

Also the game still has some sort of major memory leak. Frame rates are smooth when you first load the game but each planet you visit subsequently becomes choppier and choppier.

The second biggest disappointment of 2016!
This was how opening space chests worked well before the NEXT update.
People need to calm the hell down. Steam has the vast majority of the market share, OF COURSE a small indie company is going to prioritize them.

Stop your pathetic hand wringing.