It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

MasterW: Necro'ing a thread when the last reply was three days ago? Lol :)

But getting QuickSilver is only one problem, spending it is another. The items are locked behind an online component, effectively DRM. The only workaround is to connect to HG servers or to edit your save file, like applying a crack to the game you bought.
karnak1: Thanks. I was assuming that the issue was mostly Quicksilver only spawning on online missions, thus preventing the acquisition of items on offline play. Then the problem remains, it seems.
Yes, and although Chandra said (after a month) that GOG had contacted Hello Games about this, since then there was nothing communicated about it. So either GOG didn't really contact Hello Games or Hello Games isn't willing to fix the issue and GOG isn't going to pressure them into doing so.
high rated
karnak1: Thanks. I was assuming that the issue was mostly Quicksilver only spawning on online missions, thus preventing the acquisition of items on offline play. Then the problem remains, it seems.
Lifthrasil: Yes, and although Chandra said (after a month) that GOG had contacted Hello Games about this, since then there was nothing communicated about it. So either GOG didn't really contact Hello Games or Hello Games isn't willing to fix the issue and GOG isn't going to pressure them into doing so.
Honestly after the Epic announcement I could hardly blame a dev in this situation for telling GOG to go fuck themselves. "What, you're willing to take a cut from selling fully DRMed stuff, but you're going to ride my ass about something like this? Bite me. We both know you don't actually give a fuck."
karnak1: Sorry for necro'ing the thread.
Just wanted to inform that NMS offline installers received a new update (details below):
https://www.nomanssky.com/2020/10/halloween-update/

Apparently there's now a chance to obtain Quicksilver from certain missions.
Since I've never played the game I don't know if this changes anything concerning the "online activation" issue or if the problem remains the same.

If anyone has an offline install of the game and wants to try it, please do so.
Thank you.
I don't want to ruin everyone's hope here, but I want to clarify that this is a temporarily thing which will go on only for a few weeks and then that's it.

Also as MasterW said, this is just one problem, while the biggest one is quincy's shop.
+++joke removed to avoid the banhammer+++
Post edited October 27, 2020 by Breja
high rated
Breja: Honestly after the Epic announcement I could hardly blame a dev in this situation for telling GOG to go fuck themselves. "What, you're willing to take a cut from selling fully DRMed stuff, but you're going to ride my ass about something like this? Bite me. We both know you don't actually give a fuck."
Damn, you're absolutely right, how exactly is GOG expecting to be taken seriously when they're willing to support things that go against what they claim to stand for? Why should a developer do what they say when GOG themselves don't do what they say anymore...

How does GOG not see just how much damage the Epic deal is likely to do to their credibility and clout?
Post edited October 27, 2020 by ReynardFox
Lifthrasil: Yes, and although Chandra said (after a month) that GOG had contacted Hello Games about this, since then there was nothing communicated about it. So either GOG didn't really contact Hello Games or Hello Games isn't willing to fix the issue and GOG isn't going to pressure them into doing so.
Breja: Honestly after the Epic announcement I could hardly blame a dev in this situation for telling GOG to go fuck themselves. "What, you're willing to take a cut from selling fully DRMed stuff, but you're going to ride my ass about something like this? Bite me. We both know you don't actually give a fuck."
Yes, such a reaction is quite easy to imagine and since everyone knows by now that GOG doesn't really mind DRM, it would also be an entirely justified reaction by the devs.

So the only recourse would be to petition the dev directly, as customers.
Lifthrasil: So the only recourse would be to petition the dev directly, as customers.
I recently suggested this to people but it wasn't well received. Complaining here and having GOG do it is less effort.
high rated
Lifthrasil: So the only recourse would be to petition the dev directly, as customers.
DoomSooth: I recently suggested this to people but it wasn't well received. Complaining here and having GOG do it is less effort.
I for one can't really petition the devs as a customer - I'm not their customer. I have not bought their game, nor do I intend to regardless of this issue. My concern here was about the integrity of GOG's policy in general. And now I can hardly demand the devs of a game I don't even own go out of their way to uphold a principle GOG itself pretty much abandoned.
DoomSooth: I recently suggested this to people but it wasn't well received. Complaining here and having GOG do it is less effort.
Breja: I for one can't really petition the devs as a customer - I'm not their customer. I have not bought their game, nor do I intend to regardless of this issue. My concern here was about the integrity of GOG's policy in general. And now I can hardly demand the devs of a game I don't even own go out of their way to uphold a principle GOG itself pretty much abandoned.
Same here.
Breja: I for one can't really petition the devs as a customer - I'm not their customer. I have not bought their game, nor do I intend to regardless of this issue. My concern here was about the integrity of GOG's policy in general. And now I can hardly demand the devs of a game I don't even own go out of their way to uphold a principle GOG itself pretty much abandoned.
mrkgnao: Same here.
Me three. Game was on my wishlist though, not any more.
low rated
So basically you want the game without updates? Right?
This is something new....
Sylwooo: So basically you want the game without updates? Right?
This is something new....
Oh hai.
Just making sure that this topic isn't "forgotten". Chandra said, that they are still in talks with Hello Games - but there hasn't been any update since then. Neither on the content nor on the result of those 'talks'.

I really hope that this issue is resolved in time for the Secret Santa. I would like to buy some gifts to make someone happy. But on the other hand I don't want to support GOG as long as they sell games with DRM in them.
Lifthrasil: ...I don't want to support GOG as long as they sell games with DRM in them.
You mean like Gwent, Dying Light, maybe Stellaris, Battletech, and whatever else? I say maybe for Stellaris because I'm not sure how the Galaxy Edition works.
Post edited November 04, 2020 by DoomSooth
Lifthrasil: ...I don't want to support GOG as long as they sell games with DRM in them.
DoomSooth: You mean like Gwent, Dying Light, maybe Stellaris, Battletech, and whatever else? I say maybe for Stellaris because I'm not sure how the Galaxy Edition works.
Do Dying Light and Battletech have DRM on parts of the single player game too? Or 'only' on their multiplayer parts? Gwent is a DRM-ed micro-transaction atrocity, I agree. But it is 'only' multiplayer too.

There are lots of games on GOG that have DRM-ed multiplayer parts. I have reluctantly swallowed that, because I don't have any interest in multiplayer anyhow. As long as the single player games stayed DRM-free, I kept buying here. But No Man's Sky has introduced DRM on a part of the single player game. Quite backhandedly through an update. A line of quests leading to a special ship that are only available if you have been online through Galaxy at least once. In effect that is an online registration and a mandatory Galaxy use. Both of which GOG promised to never tolerate. But so far, they do.