It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

No Man's Sky – One Year Anniversary

Today marks the one year anniversary of <span class="bold">No Man's Sky</span>
In the past year, the Hello Games team has been hard at work addressing community feedback and rolling out new content to the No Man's Sky experience. We've gotten new game modes and exciting survival mechanics, base building, vehicles, expanded trading and crafting, massive personal freighters and so much more than we could ever list here.

Today marks the <span class="bold">No Man's Sky</span> anniversary, and Hello Games are bringing a slew of new content in the Atlast Rises< update – and a 60% off sale, the best deal there has been so far!

So what's cool about Atlas Rises?
New Story Mode – in a complete overhaul to the original story, you'll set off on a 20-hour journey across the universe and discover Portals, allowing you to travel vast distances extremely quickly.
Improved Trading – plot and optimize your trade routes in the new trading metagame, born thanks to unique socio-economic traits in each star system and an overhauled galactic map.
Missions and New Faction System – procedurally generated missions add a layer of replayability as you earn rewards and respect on your journeys.
Better Biomes – from rare, extreme and abstract biomes, through improved existing biomes, there's a lot more to see on your journey.
More, including improved space combat, terraforming, farming, as well as new ships, a new faction, and more.

One year later, No Man's Sky has grown immensely bigger and richer and content – this is an amazing time to go back, or finally enter its infinite universe.

The anniversary sale will last until August 16, 4 PM UTC.
JennZed: Simply .. do I have to repurchase the whole No Man's Sky game to get the Atlas Rises update?

As it is, my game is now updated to 1.38 .. and I have no idea if I have Atlas Rises or not.
drmike: Game page says it's included:

https://www.gog.com/game/no_mans_sky

"About: No Man's Sky comes complete with the Foundation, Path Finder and Atlas Rises updates. "

A quick google says Atlas Ricing was the 1.3 patch.

https://www.nomanssky.com/atlas-rises-update/

Page down a couple of times to see it stated.

Hope this helps
Hi drmike .. yeh, I've read all of that .. but the 'included' part doesn't really answer my question .. ok, I'll put it like this.

Do I get the Atlas Rises 'free' if I have already previously purchased the game as an update to my existing game?

Or do I have to buy the game again to get the Atlas Rises update unlocked?

The only direct info I could see about the Atlas Rises update and purchasing it was here > https://www.polygon.com/2017/8/11/16131020/no-mans-sky-atlas-rises-update-multiplayer
.. where they say "And in case you were thinking of jumping back into No Man’s Sky with Atlas Rises, the game is on sale for $23.99 — 60 percent off its regular price of $59.99 — on GOG, the Humble Store, the PlayStation Store and Steam for the next few days."

The 'jumping back into' part seems to imply I have to buy the game again in order to unlock Atlas Rises.

Sorry if I'm missing something here that's very simple, but no matter how simply I ask Google the same question in slightly different ways I'm only ever really directed to pages that tell me what Atlas Rises is .. not how I get it.

drmike: edit: And you've edited your post to ask a question. Give me a second.

You may want to ask your question on the dedicated subforum for your game:

https://www.gog.com/forum/no_mans_sky

Are you getting a specific error when you try to load the save? Is it visible? Does it try to load?
Thanks for this again drmike .. yes, I did look for the sub-forum for NMS but couldn't seem to find it here .. admittedly I did a function search for it and nothing popped up, which surprised me.

.. and all I get so far, if I try to load my old save - old Mods now removed - all I get is an endless loading screen.

I am going to try it again now, and I'll update if the old save loads or I've had to start a new game.
Post edited October 03, 2017 by JennZed
JennZed: Ok, I'm a bit late to this party, but I've tried searcing for a straight answer to this question, which I could not find so I'm asking it here instead.
As it is, my game is now updated to 1.38 .. and I have no idea if I have Atlas Rises or not.

Even so, my old save, which had the Mods active does not want to load .. it seems I may have to start the game from scratch which is highly frustrating.
As drmike wrote, Atlas Rising is included in 1.3, so you're fine. Up until now all the updated have been free, if you're using Galaxy, you should always have the latest version.

As for your broken savegame: Some people had these problems. If you've already put dozens of hours into the game and don't want to lose your progress I suggest contacting Hello Games here https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. They have repaired other people's savegames (probably launching the game with debugging tools and fixing positions etc), so simply ask. Might take a while, but depending on how many hours you're losing, might be worth it.
JennZed: Ok, I'm a bit late to this party, but I've tried searcing for a straight answer to this question, which I could not find so I'm asking it here instead.

Even so, my old save, which had the Mods active does not want to load .. it seems I may have to start the game from scratch which is highly frustrating.
toxicTom: As drmike wrote, Atlas Rising is included in 1.3, so you're fine. Up until now all the updated have been free, if you're using Galaxy, you should always have the latest version.

As for your broken savegame: Some people had these problems. If you've already put dozens of hours into the game and don't want to lose your progress I suggest contacting Hello Games here https://hellogames.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/requests/new. They have repaired other people's savegames (probably launching the game with debugging tools and fixing positions etc), so simply ask. Might take a while, but depending on how many hours you're losing, might be worth it.
Many thanks, Tom, appreciate the clarified info and answer .. that puts my mind at rest.

As for the old save game, I'm goin g to try and load it now .. sans Mods .. and see what happens.

Thank you!
JennZed: Hi drmike .. yeh, I've read all of that .. but the 'included' part doesn't really answer my question .. ok, I'll put it like this.

Do I get the Atlas Rises 'free' if I have already previously purchased the game as an update to my existing game?

They give fancy names to their game updates, but they're still just free patches, not add-ons. So, yes, if you own a copy of No Man's Sky, it also includes all of the extra content that has been added since its original release. ( Of course you still need to update it to the latest version, in order to access all of the content. )
JennZed: Hi drmike .. yeh, I've read all of that .. but the 'included' part doesn't really answer my question .. ok, I'll put it like this.

CharlesGrey: They give fancy names to their game updates, but they're still just free patches, not add-ons. So, yes, if you own a copy of No Man's Sky, it also includes all of the extra content that has been added since its original release. ( Of course you still need to update it to the latest version, in order to access all of the content. )
Many thanks, Charles.
Appreciate the info and clarity :)

Update:

Looks like my old save game isn't going to load .. possibly because of previous modifications made.
I had an extended base building Mod and something to reduce launch costs of personal spaceship.

I doubt very much this could be fixed by Hello Games .. so, I think I'm just going to have to bite down and start over.

Thanks to all who replied and helped with my slow brain :)
Post edited October 03, 2017 by JennZed
JennZed: Many thanks, Charles.

Update:

Looks like my old save game isn't going to load .. possibly because of previous modifications made.
I had an extended base building Mod and something to reduce launch costs of personal spaceship.

I doubt very much this could be fixed by Hello Games .. so, I think I'm just going to have to bite down and start over.

It's possible they'll start releasing paid add-ons and DLC in the future, but so far they've mostly been trying to fix things, and appease people with free content, after all the backlash they received at the original release of the game.

Depending on when you last played, it's probably best to start a new game, since they made so many changes and additions. I started over as well, when they released version 1.3.
CharlesGrey: They give fancy names to their game updates, but they're still just free patches, not add-ons.
That's not really true though. The updates expanded and changed the game tremendously, it's not just "fancy names". Other companies would have sold those "patches" as DLC, and not at a low price either.

Of course many people feel that Hello Games is just making up for the "broken promises" in the release version, and maybe the devs feel the same way. I couldn't say because I didn't follow the pre-release hype and I was on the whole happy with the original game as it was. But I can say that with the updates they changed so much, it's a different game now. If those updates don't qualify as "add-ons", I don't know what does.
JennZed: Many thanks, Charles.

Update:

CharlesGrey: It's possible they'll start releasing paid add-ons and DLC in the future, but so far they've mostly been trying to fix things, and appease people with free content, after all the backlash they received at the original release of the game.

Depending on when you last played, it's probably best to start a new game, since they made so many changes and additions. I started over as well, when they released version 1.3.
Roger, roger .. someone suggested this as the best course on another website.
pain as it is, it also allows for all the fixed and update content to be truly active if a new game is started .. old saves may conflict or simply not include some things.
CharlesGrey: They give fancy names to their game updates, but they're still just free patches, not add-ons.
toxicTom: That's not really true though. The updates expanded and changed the game tremendously, it's not just "fancy names". Other companies would have sold those "patches" as DLC, and not at a low price either.

Of course many people feel that Hello Games is just making up for the "broken promises" in the release version, and maybe the devs feel the same way. I couldn't say because I didn't follow the pre-release hype and I was on the whole happy with the original game as it was. But I can say that with the updates they changed so much, it's a different game now. If those updates don't qualify as "add-ons", I don't know what does.
True, I suppose -- I just meant that they're being distributed as free patches/updates, rather than paid add-ons, despite having unique names ( which patches for other games usually don't have ). They definitely added a lot of content and improvements.

I also bought the game shortly after its original release, didn't care about the hype/ pre-release promises, and had a pretty good time with the game. However, I do think it was never a 60 bucks game, and maybe it still isn't, so it's only fair that they provided free content additions.
Wow .. no, the game doesn't want to even start with a new game load.

Restarting my PC.
Trying again.

May uninstall and reinstall.
Yeh, definitely something not right.

Endless loading screen.
No sound at all on selection choices, load new game, etc .. and no background music sound at all on the loading screen.

Going to do a complete scrub of the game and reinstall.
JennZed: Wow .. no, the game doesn't want to even start with a new game load.

Restarting my PC.
Trying again.

May uninstall and reinstall.
Yeah, maybe best to start with clean copy. Maybe some mod has left remains.

CharlesGrey: However, I do think it was never a 60 bucks game, and maybe it still isn't, so it's only fair that they provided free content additions.
Well I spent about about 140 hours in the original game and loved it (and didn't even get near the centre of the galaxy). So $60 is fine for me. Of course: YMMV. For me it was like the perfect, never-ending "walking simulator" with added crafting and stuff, and the procedural generation is quite amazing (that's both from an aesthetic and technical point of view). And my go-to game for some meditative relaxation.
In the current state it's a lot more, but somehow it also takes some digging to get back to that tranquil state... there's simply so much more to do, which kind of buries the old "walking into the blue" game. Suddenly there is "work to do...". But of course with a bit of self-discipline it's still possible to ignore all that fancy mission- and base-building stuff and play the game the old way ;-)
Update update :)

Clean install did the trick .. scrubbed everything on the computer, all saves etc.
Thankfully Gog Cloud seems to have saved my game and I am able to access the last save so all my progress is intact except that I have to re-employ all my Base aliens, construction, weapons, etc, they seem to have deserted me .. and I'll have to find another Mod which allows for unlimited base building .. I have the same base, but now can't place any new objects.
Also my larger vehicle is no longer there, for some reason, but I can get it back once I have the new Mod in place to allow me to build the platform for it.

Again, thanks for all your info and help everyone .. very much appreciated.
deleted
Post edited July 25, 2018 by japzone