It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

I prefer using GOG's downloader, but that's seems a hopeless dream now. If one does use galaxy and buys a game from Epic would you then have to use Epic launcher to play the game or could you download and play the game with galaxy only and never need another launcher?

Thanks for any info.

If I have to use a launcher to download games, would rather use GOG than any other:)
Post edited October 09, 2020 by Moonbeam
high rated
Moonbeam: I prefer using GOG's downloader, but that's seems a hopeless dream now. If one does use galaxy and buys a game from Epic would you then have to use Epic launcher to play the game or could you download and play the game with galaxy only and never need another launcher?
You still need the Epic laucher to install and play the games, because... DRM.

Makes me think... if you buy an Ubisoft game on Epic through Galaxy, Galaxy will lauch Epic, Epic will launch UPlay...
Someday we can just leave our computers on their own, the launchers will play with themselves...
Moonbeam: I prefer using GOG's downloader, but that's seems a hopeless dream now. If one does use galaxy and buys a game from Epic would you then have to use Epic launcher to play the game or could you download and play the game with galaxy only and never need another launcher?
toxicTom: You still need the Epic laucher to install and play the games, because... DRM.

Makes me think... if you buy an Ubisoft game on Epic through Galaxy, Galaxy will lauch Epic, Epic will launch UPlay...
Someday we can just leave our computers on their own, the launchers will play with themselves...
I haven't tested it myself, but I read that if you have an Ubisoft game on Epic, after you linked it to Uplay, you can discard EGS. It's not like Steam, where you got to have the two launchers running.
high rated
Very good post by Cantiras over there: https://www.gog.com/forum/general_beta_gog_galaxy_2.0/new_store_inside_gog_galaxy_launches_in_test_phase/post68
I may be alone in drawing this distinction, but a client that allows you to launch DRM-encumbered games from other digital distribution platforms (but doesn't facilitate the purchase of those DRM-encumbered games) is different from a client that actively promotes the purchase of DRM-encumbered games from other platforms. There is a difference between tolerating the current reality of DRM and embracing that reality.
toma85: I've just read this in the BG forum:

https://www.gog.com/forum/baldurs_gate_series/baldurs_gate_3_black_screen_as_soon_as_i_hit_play/post4

I can't confirm it because I haven't bought it.
I just tried, disabling my network interface, and the game starts just fine.

I guess it's probably a confusion because the game ask you for to login to Larian at the beginning but you can select "skip" and start the game without needing any account or being online.
ChrisSZ: When GOG is dead I will probably switch back to "Steam + crack", basically what I did before I found GOG to make them archiveable.
Can't argue with that. That's what people did before GOG, and that's what people will do once GOG stops selling DRM free games.
toxicTom:
Thanks, that's a shame though.
Will have to use an enchantment spell on GOG to bring back the downloader.
bluethief:
Thanks.
Post edited October 09, 2020 by Moonbeam
toxicTom: Makes me think... if you buy an Ubisoft game on Epic through Galaxy, Galaxy will lauch Epic, Epic will launch UPlay...
"It's no use - it's launchers all the way down..."
toxicTom:
Moonbeam: Thanks, that's a shame though.
Will have to use an enchantment spell on GOG to bring back the downloader.
bluethief:
Moonbeam: Thanks.
Enchantment?
Enchantment!
Post edited October 09, 2020 by MysterD
toxicTom: Very good post by Cantiras over there: https://www.gog.com/forum/general_beta_gog_galaxy_2.0/new_store_inside_gog_galaxy_launches_in_test_phase/post68

I may be alone in drawing this distinction, but a client that allows you to launch DRM-encumbered games from other digital distribution platforms (but doesn't facilitate the purchase of those DRM-encumbered games) is different from a client that actively promotes the purchase of DRM-encumbered games from other platforms. There is a difference between tolerating the current reality of DRM and embracing that reality.
toxicTom:
I don't even care if a launcher enables you to purchase DRM'd games. That is fine with me; I'm all for freedom of choice. However, I don't like GOG selling and supporting DRM'd games. Also, the strong association that GOG = Galaxy = GOG they've tried to build leads to the issue we've beaten to death here (publishers & devs will think that if their game is available via Galaxy, then in their minds it's on GOG, and the set of people who only buy games that are actually on GOG and don't use a client are a minority not worth catering for..). The other concern is presentation but I don't use Galaxy so I can't say if there's any problem here (i.e. is it possible that games with DRM are not clearly marked and users end up accidentally supporting DRM? Is it clear and obvious which stores are benefiting from the sale?)
Post edited October 09, 2020 by clarry
low rated
Melvinica: GOG, if you're not going to bring The Outer Worlds DRM FREE here because of this I'm going to be so pissed off.
Epic has it DRM-free.
high rated
Melvinica: GOG, if you're not going to bring The Outer Worlds DRM FREE here because of this I'm going to be so pissed off.
kmanitou: Epic has it DRM-free.
Yeah, but the DLC is not DRM free as MysterD posted:

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/news_gog_galaxy_to_start_selling_epic_games/post828

I like to buy at a store, where I can be sure that when I buy a game, it won't be infested with DRM later in one of the updates or DLCs.

Although my biggest concern is, if the devs/publishers of games would still make a DRM free GOG version for their games, when their game can already be bought here. Another question is if they would bother with a Galaxy multiplayer integration for a game at all.
Post edited October 09, 2020 by Arundir
ChrisSZ: When GOG is dead I will probably switch back to "Steam + crack", basically what I did before I found GOG to make them archiveable.
DrmSucksMaster: Can't argue with that. That's what people did before GOG, and that's what people will do once GOG stops selling DRM free games.
I think it's more realistic for GOG, should it introduce DRM'd games to its store proper, to make DRM optional, much like the Humble Store. It doesn't make sense to completely alienate your audience. Keeping DRM-free games around will make people less likely to jump ship.

To me, it feels less like GOG has completely abandoned the concept of DRM-free gaming and more like it's trying to have its cake and eat it too; profiting indirectly from DRM'd games while still technically being a DRM-free store itself. Which is better, but not by much.

That being said, as others have suggested, it's not a bad idea to back up your games if you haven't already (I mean really, what are you doing buying DRM-free and not backing up your stuff?). GOG's future feels... less certain than it used to, a feeling I hope is unjustified, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
kmanitou: Epic has it DRM-free.
Arundir: Yeah, but the DLC is not DRM free as MysterD posted:

https://www.gog.com/forum/general/news_gog_galaxy_to_start_selling_epic_games/post828

I like to buy at a store, where I can be sure that when I buy a game, it won't be infested with DRM later in one of the updates or DLCs.

Although my biggest concern is, if the devs/publishers of games would still make a DRM free GOG version for their games, when their game can already be bought here. Another question is if they would bother with a Galaxy multiplayer integration for a game at all.
Interesting and not so surprising, I guess. GOG truly is/was a last bastion.
MysterD: We need GOG, to make sure every piece of content for a single-player experience is DRM-FREE - base-games, DLC's, expansions, etc etc.
MarkoH01: Well, unfortunately this is not the case as you can see with the latest update of "No Man's Sky".
B1tF1ghter: Your words in post 823 have contradicting statements.
You claim you KNOW about EGS violations of privacy.
MarkoH01: Where in post 823 is this stated? I'd rather say that he is not aware and that he asks you to tell him about it.
About NMS - yep, that seems to be going through the same ordeal.

I do wonder if companies for way later, when releasing games elsewhere - if they need to make some kind of DLL file or something to bypass DLC DRM so the DLC can bypass DRM-checks for DLC's for when they get brought to another store like the DRM-FREE store known as GOG.

Nobody wants Single-Player style content...to be forced to be played online.

While I get why a company does it - i.e. make sure people buy the Premium content DLC's and to try to stop piracy...or at least have that illusion to make it look like they're stopping it - yes, SP-style content that is unable to be played offline and is being forced to be played online via Galaxy has no business on GOG.

GOG is a DRM-FREE store and content bought directly via GOG or GOG Galaxy should work offline, if it's SP-based content...whether DLC, Expansion, or otherwise.
Post edited October 09, 2020 by MysterD