It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

WinterSnowfall: Yeah, I've heard that in Cyberpunk 2077 you'll be able to buy all manner of shady things as long as you have the money for them... even DRMed games on Galaxy. No wait, that's the real world. Mustn't mix them up, though dystopias all seem to look alike :P.
I'm listening to Dystopia Now, and prepare for the end of days by hoarding chocolate dipped bananas (gluten free of course), garlic (you never know), "crocodile water" and DRM-free games.

Next week I'm going to buy more of that (illegal) "crocodile water" as I can't stop drinking it...
high rated
Gersen: Because not everything is purely black and white, you can be anti DRM, hate DRM with a passion and yet occasionally purchase games on Steam or other shops. Heck I hate Denuvo and avoid it like plague and yet I purchased Nier Automata and will probably purchase the Nier remake too. I will of course purchase them in a instant if they are ever released DRM-free on Gog.
See, that's what I mean. You support bad practices because you really want that product. And it's not something essential, your life doesn't depend on it.

So you tell the publishers Nier Automata that's it's fine to include Denuvo buy giving them money, and you didn't use that same money to support another publisher who offers DRM-free games. And the market reacts to that. Simple as that.

That you "hate DRM" has no consequences, unless you act accordingly.

I don't blame you personally since you simply do what most people do, your priority is getting your game, the rest is optional. And it's a valid approach - but it of course has consequences in the long run.
Post edited October 06, 2020 by toxicTom
high rated
We all agree that this is at least a critical step GOG is about to do. So thank you very much @GOG that all of you participated so immensely in this discussion to clear up all our fears and questions we might have. It really shows how much you care about your cus.. ... well ... err ... wait ... GOG?
toxicTom: ...
Again everything is not black and white and binary, to take your food example, you can spend your life eating healthy and try to support local businesses, and yet, once in a while go eat to a Mc Donalds, what's more important that once every X month you eat once at Mc Donalds or that the majority of the time you support local businesses ?

So yes I do buy games occasionally on Steam and exceptionally even with Denuvo (only two and one was an accident and I didn't realize it used Denuvo before it was too late for a refund), but the huge majority of times I purchase my games DRM-free and support Gog and I consider that's the most important.
HappyPunkPotato: Are there any other places that only sell DRM-free games?
See https://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_video_games_digital_distributors

I believe Fireflower Games and Zoom Platform are the only two stores left that sell only DRM-free games, but their catalogues are tiny compared to GOG.
Just happened upon this link Join us in support of the International Day Against DRM

Wonder if they'll be celebrating that again?

mrkgnao: See https://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_video_games_digital_distributors

I believe Fireflower Games and Zoom Platform are the only two stores left that sell only DRM-free games, but their catalogues are tiny compared to GOG.
Thanks for that, I thought there was a thread somewhere. I had a look on Zoom and they only had 5 games in the Linux category, hopefully they'll start to get more!
toxicTom: That you "hate DRM" has no consequences, unless you act accordingly.
If you're thinking about GOG here, then I agree, because it's a company/developer that chooses to implement DRM, not the end-user.
Post edited October 06, 2020 by sanscript
§pectre: Steam has been worse but has more features and cheaper games. The way some people are complaining in this thread makes them look willfully ignorant.
adamhm: I've been a gamer long before Steam came about, I saw how it rose to dominance and evolved over time. Epic are much worse.
In what way? The two common and fairly weak complaints are exclusive deals and China money.
The only other I can think of is the claims it looked at some steam data directly instead of doing it indirectly like steam does with outside data.
high rated
toxicTom: See, that's what I mean. You support bad practices because you really want that product. And it's not something essential, your life doesn't depend on it.
There are games that I really want, that are only on steam (Chip's Challenge 1 & 2, The King's Quest reboot Chapters, Beyond A Steel Sky come to mind, but there's probably more if I looked). But I'm not going to buy them, cos I don't support DRM.

When Syberia 3 first came out, it was only available on steam. I love the Syberia games so much, and I desperately wanted it! There was no indication that it would come to GOG. But I still refused to buy it from steam, cos I don't support DRM.

For a LONG time, Return Of The Phantom was only available on steam. That's one of my favourite games from back in the day. Know why I didn't buy it? Cos I don't support DRM. I was delighted when it appeared on GOG, and bought it instantly.

Many of us DO care about games being DRM-free, and will not support games that are infected with DRM.
sanscript: And since we can't see into the future we just have to wait and see what the real outcome will be. :D
I suspect corporates are starting to sense that the world view is changing toward sustainable solutions, and they're trying to grab whatever cash they can now before those changes come sweeping in.

Forced product obsolescence, of which DRM is a part, is going to become a big NO-NO in the future, and that future may be arriving a lot sooner than any of us ever expected.
high rated
FrodoBaggins: Many of us DO care about games being DRM-free, and will not support games that are infected with DRM.
Yes, many do, but obviously not enough people. Otherwise GOG wouldn't even consider a step like this. They must know they alienate their most loyal customers - so it stands to reason this group is too small to be relevant.

I don't even have a Steam account (or EGS/UPlay/Origin/BattleNet...). I only have a few DRM-free games on Humble, and a few on itch.io, the rest is GOG. And it will probably stay that way, since there is no real alternative to GOG, and if (or when) they embrace DRM here on the store too... idk. I really don't want to go back to pirating, so from then on it'll be mostly backlog...
sanscript: And since we can't see into the future we just have to wait and see what the real outcome will be. :D
agogfan: I suspect corporates are starting to sense that the world view is changing toward sustainable solutions, and they're trying to grab whatever cash they can now before those changes come sweeping in.

Forced product obsolescence, of which DRM is a part, is going to become a big NO-NO in the future, and that future may be arriving a lot sooner than any of us ever expected.
I guess we see things differently.

I suspect corporates are starting to sense that the world view is changing toward sustainable solutions, solutions that go away from the old model of product delivery and ownership, and towards a model that favours transient content delivery (a.k.a. "streaming").

And by "starting to sense", I mean "have already fully realised". And by "is changing", I mean "has changed".
high rated
adamhm: I've been a gamer long before Steam came about, I saw how it rose to dominance and evolved over time. Epic are much worse.
§pectre: In what way? The two common and fairly weak complaints are exclusive deals and China money.
The only other I can think of is the claims it looked at some steam data directly instead of doing it indirectly like steam does with outside data.
Well, I'm unaware of Valve ever bribing companies to renege on prior agreements in the way that Epic has done in their attempts to get ever more exclusives. "Hey Kickstarter backers, we know you took a risk to help us get this game done and expected to get Steam/GOG/whatever keys, but Epic paid us for exclusivity so you can now go fuck yourselves!"

Then there's companies advertising on other platforms during development, only for Epic to then swoop in closer to release and make them a deal for exclusivity, screwing over the platforms that spent resources helping to advertise and build up hype for them.

(though in fairness the publishers of these games also share some of the blame for lacking integrity and accepting the Epic exclusivity deal)

And then there are stories of developers being offered an Epic exclusivity deal, declining due to prior arrangements and not wanting to be massive dicks and then basically being told their game won't be allowed on the Epic store at all then.

Speaking of exclusivity, Epic are hypocritical about that too, whining about needing more openness and freedom in the PC space and yet limiting people's freedom with their exclusives. They've been hypocritical about a lot of other things as well...

Valve at least have done/are doing some good things for the industry at large, things that haven't been purely for their own benefit. In the Linux world Valve have put considerable resources into things they could have restricted or limited to only benefit themselves if they wanted to, yet they didn't. Things like Proton and DXVK making Wine so much better, the Steam runtime [which despite its name is merely a collection of Ubuntu libraries providing a common target for developers] etc. Valve have also contributed many improvements to the Linux kernel, Linux graphics drivers, they've greatly supported development of the Vulkan API and development tools for it, amongst other things. The tech details for Steam hardware was made available allowing third party/community developers to easily create tools for them without having anything to do with Steam, e.g. https://github.com/kozec/sc-controller
Post edited October 06, 2020 by adamhm
high rated
agogfan: I suspect corporates are starting to sense that the world view is changing toward sustainable solutions, and they're trying to grab whatever cash they can now before those changes come sweeping in.

The cynic, skeptic, and logical me doubt that very much..
I mean, I hope it's true, fervently, but I wont act like it is, and it is still no excuse for supporting DRM or acting like it doesn't matter in the future.

I saw steam for what is was right at the beginning, and refused to have anything to do with it.
I've kept that principle and promise. I haven't touched any of the other DRM launchers and stores either.
GOG is the only place I've put my trust and money in.. They've lost some of that trust with this move, but until they shut down DRM-free games and downloadable offline installers and stand-alone patches, I'll keep buying.
That change is upon us now though. Like it's been said repeatedly here, new games that could have come here DRM-free, will be very late, or not come at all. Since they can still reach that "majority" of GOG users.

I'm also hugely against data-gathering, which tencent do.
I like my privacy thank you very much.
I also don't want to support the CCP either..
Post edited October 06, 2020 by Vendor-Lazarus
HappyPunkPotato: Are there any other places that only sell DRM-free games?
mrkgnao: See https://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_video_games_digital_distributors

Pretty sure that itch.io also is DRM-free only.