It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

EnforcerSunWoo: It will just keep getting deeper if they let issues slide without communication with the community. I hope that they at the very least realize that.
clarry: Remember that "community members went to GOG HQ" thing? Yeh, nothing much came of it. And I think they gave up trying.

EDIT: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/6_community_members_went_to_gog_hq/page1
That whole thing was pure PR bullshit tied with an NDA bow and has no bearing on communication with the community at large. Just a feeble attempt at quelling the masses that didn't work the way they expected.
Post edited October 06, 2020 by EnforcerSunWoo
RoboPond: I buy things from Epic as well as GOG. But I see no reason to buy via GOG Galaxy as its just as easy if not easier to load the Epic Client up and get it directly.
Exactly, I honestly don't think, but that's purely a personal opinion, that this will be really a "killer" feature, most peoples who purchase from Epic will probably purchasing from Epic directly. Heck I use Galaxy but I don't think I even purchased a single Gog game from Galaxy.
Post edited October 06, 2020 by Gersen
toxicTom: Well let's all be honest, in the end it's a result of GOG's user base not actually giving much shit about DRM free - maybe we are vocal, but not when it really counts.

Most people are on a stance of "Well, yeah, DRM-free is nice, but when I want a game, and it's only on Steam, I'll get it there." Many made an Epic account for the freebies. And how many of those stayed true to their initial intention of "only the freebies, they'll never get money from me"?

Only a tiny fraction of users actually goes through with it and buys DRM-free exclusively. If there was a majority of DRM = no buy users here, GOG wouldn't have done this.

We ourselves are hypocrites, when we cheer to FCKDRM and then go play our Skyrim, GTA5, Civ 6 or Red Dead Redemption 2.

I guess Galaxy 2 showed GOG how many people have accounts on all these platforms, essentially showing them how little we care about DRM ourselves.
I upvoted you but can't say I'm a fan of that collectivism sort of approach...the way I see it it's simply the "fault" of the individuals who did that, not "us" as some nebulous whole. I can say I've done my part supporting GOG over the years and anti-recommending Scheme to people. Folks on the forums have gotten tired of me criticizing Scheme.

I feel like I can't trust GOG at this point. Maybe I will "hold my nose" and buy a Resident Evil or another Silent Hill if they have a DRM-free offline installer here on GOG.com...yes, admittedly as a practical matter, not because I believe in what GOG is doing right now. I can take blame for that but think it's different from the Scheme/DRM support you mention.
high rated
Gersen: You mean the same publishers who 99.99% of the time said "The game is available on Steam" or if you were lucky "we don't plan to release on Gog for the time being"
adamhm: GOG customer: "Hey <publisher>, how about releasing <game> on GOG?"
Publisher: "Hi <GOG customer>, you can already buy <game> from GOG by enabling <store>. Here's how: ..."

Also:

Publisher's social media: "Great news, you can now buy <game> through GOG! Here's how: ..."

And:

GOG customer: "But I want a DRM-free version with offline installers..."
Publisher: "(GOG tells us this group represents only a tiny minority of their userbase; we already target the majority via our Epic exclusivity deal. Conclusion: not worth the effort.)

Hi <GOG customer>, we have no plans to release <game> directly on GOG at this time. However you can still buy and play <game> through GOG from <store> and not have to deal with <store>'s client other than having it installed. Here's how: ..."
adamhm: This also has the side effect of making it a bit more appealing for publishers/developers to agree to Epic's exclusivity deals.
Gersen: Yeah, if a couple of tens of millions of dolars is not enough to convince them, I am sure that having a couple of percent of the Epic user base being able to purchase the game through Galaxy definitely will...
I never said it would be a big draw, but certainly it will largely eliminate one of the negatives of selling out to the EGS, since publishers would then be able to advertise & sell their EGS exclusives to GOG users.
high rated
We all misunderstood the meaning of #FCKDRM. GOG was telling us upfront about these plans as it stands for F--k Customers Keep DRM.

Also the changes to the various policies indicates that nothing is going to change GOG/CDP from implementing this.
Gersen: Exactly, I honestly don't think, but that's purely a personal opinion, that this will be really a "killer" feature, most peoples who purchase from Epic will probably purchasing from Epic directly. Heck I use Galaxy but I don't think I even purchased a single Gog game from Galaxy.
I always use the site to buy from GOG. The only time I use Galaxy is to get achievements and I only allow games with achievements to load through it, once I get them all they get removed and re-installed via the offline installers, I have to edit the installs though so Galaxy doesn't pick them up (as the offline installers have files that Galaxy reads) so I tend to just make them portable with a reg file in if the game needs it.

Anything that doesn't have achievements get installed via the offline installers, copied then uninstalled to test to see if it needs reg entries then re-installed them found and copied then uninstalled again and it usually works fine. Then the reg file get copied to the installed directory.

I do all this as due to GOG and Galaxy I just don't trust them anymore with my installs.
high rated
toxicTom: We ourselves are hypocrites, when we cheer to FCKDRM and then go play our Skyrim, GTA5, Civ 6 or Red Dead Redemption 2.
Some people will never care much, that's certainly true, but I think most people are all too ready to "put their money where their mouth is" and have always been acting like that in fact. Why would we be here in the first place if that wasn't the case?

I'll wait for Skyrim, GTA5, Civ 6, Red Dead Redemption 2 and any other "must play" games to be available in a DRM-free, client-free version, even if it takes years. No DRM-free version, no purchase from my end, and it's as simple as that.

*Says in a Skyrim town guard voice:* "I've heard the sages say DRM-free folk are a patient bunch."
toxicTom: We ourselves are hypocrites, when we cheer to FCKDRM and then go play our Skyrim, GTA5, Civ 6 or Red Dead Redemption 2.
WinterSnowfall: Some people will never care much, that's certainly true, but I think most people are all too ready to "put their money where their mouth is" and have always been acting like that in fact. Why would we be here in the first place if that wasn't the case?

I'll wait for Skyrim, GTA5, Civ 6, Red Dead Redemption 2 and any other "must play" games to be available in a DRM-free, client-free version, even if it takes years. No DRM-free version, no purchase from my end, and it's as simple as that.

*Says in a Skyrim town guard voice:* "I've heard the sages say DRM-free folk are a patient bunch."
You will be waiting a long time then. RDR2 as far as I know hasn’t even been cracked as yet there is so much drm on it (and probably as it’s just not worth it anyways). And R* don’t do drm free. Skyrim is GFWDead. GTA5 is again R*.
The only chance you will see these here is via galaxy and their own stores, not drm free.
DRM free is dead.
high rated
nightcraw1er.488: The only chance you will see these here is via galaxy and their own stores, not drm free.
DRM free is dead.
Then I'll play other things, buy other things. DRM-free will only die if you also help kill it - as long as there's a demand, someone will eventually come up with the supply. Market economy 101.
Post edited October 06, 2020 by WinterSnowfall
Yes, considering we all have our inbuilt "wants" and "needs" to satisfy ourselves we all do have our share of cognitive dissonance (for those who are aware and care). Sometimes it 's even down to choosing the lesser evil.

Same can be said about picking food; one thing might be better for the health but costs more, while some are the opposite. Should all be dark and bleak if I sometimes go for a quarter pounder or crispy chicken?

Oh, and considering all of those games are crap I couldn't care less either way (well, partly except Skyrim modded but base game is already cracked). :D
WinterSnowfall: as long as there's a demand, someone will eventually come up with the supply. Market economy 101.
Very true, and it's not even limited by the law. Just look at everything from selling data to organs. Who knows, perhaps in the future combined with technology there will be a marked for memories and dreams...

Then again, at what price? There's always foreseen and unforeseen consequences of our actions. And since we can't see into the future we just have to wait and see what the real outcome will be. :D
Post edited October 06, 2020 by sanscript
sanscript: Very true, and it's not even limited by the law. Just look at everything from selling data to organs. Who knows, perhaps in the future combined with technology there will be a marked for memories and dreams...
Yeah, I've heard that in Cyberpunk 2077 you'll be able to buy all manner of shady things as long as you have the money for them... even DRMed games on Galaxy. No wait, that's the real world. Mustn't mix them up, though dystopias all seem to look alike :P.
rjbuffchix: ..the way I see it it's simply the "fault" of the individuals who did that, not "us" as some nebulous whole.
Yes, we're all individuals ("Not me!" gg) - but "we" are all part of the group "GOG customers", now when GOG realises that most of their customers don't care about DRM-free so much, as long as they get their games...

sanscript: Same can be said about picking food; one thing might be better for the health but costs more, while some are the opposite.
Let's not take food as an example, since you actually need it to live. Let's take sweets - given the choice between organic and fair-trade chocolate and (admittedly tasty) mass produced chocolate that some far away third world children and a union leader died making, most people would say how important fair trade and sustainability is, if they can't get it, or even only can't get their favourite flavour, they'll happily buy the big corp's stuff.
And that is something that GOG - as the "fair trade organic" game store probably realised and gave up on. Can we blame them? Sure, we can, but we also have to admit that as customers most of us simply didn't care enough.
low rated
toxicTom: ...
Because not everything is purely black and white, you can be anti DRM, hate DRM with a passion and yet occasionally purchase games on Steam or other shops. Heck I hate Denuvo and avoid it like plague and yet I purchased Nier Automata and will probably purchase the Nier remake too. I will of course purchase them in a instant if they are ever released DRM-free on Gog.
Post edited October 06, 2020 by Gersen
nightcraw1er.488: The only chance you will see these here is via galaxy and their own stores, not drm free.
DRM free is dead.
WinterSnowfall: Then I'll play other things, buy other things. DRM-free will only die if you also help kill it - as long as there's a demand, someone will eventually come up with the supply. Market economy 101.
Drm free has died. Most of the stores are gone. Most of the devs don’t sell through their own sites. Physical is only a steam key. Gog has given up. Streaming is the new normal. There is nothing left. A bit like open source, that hasn’t gone anywhere either.
Post edited October 06, 2020 by nightcraw1er.488