It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

AB2012: A bit like how we'll never see Serious Sam 4, The Talos Principle or Deus Ex: HR / MD here on GOG due to Croteam / Square Enix former DRM stance?
https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_the_talos_principle_gold_edition_064be

Ohhhhh, now I understand why the las few months have been so great in released games. Very few high profile games released on the last 2 years (except Diabo?) and all of a sudden Dishonored, Prey, Talos Principle, even Konami in a couple of months.
adamhm: snip
Here's the link from the HumbelBundle THQ sale. Scroll down for comments.
The comments are more than halfway down, so maybe use the End button and scroll/Page Up a bit.
It's funny how similar some comments are.."funny"..

https://archive.is/k1HU

*edit*
1. Changed to clarify HumbleBundle
2. Probably shouldn't use the popular and successive HumbleBundle to compare with...
Post edited October 04, 2020 by Vendor-Lazarus
AB2012: A bit like how we'll never see Serious Sam 4, The Talos Principle or Deus Ex: HR / MD here on GOG due to Croteam / Square Enix former DRM stance?
Dark_art_: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/release_the_talos_principle_gold_edition_064be

Ohhhhh, now I understand why the las few months have been so great in released games. Very few high profile games released on the last 2 years (except Diabo?) and all of a sudden Dishonored, Prey, Talos Principle, even Konami in a couple of months.
???
low rated
LiquidOxygen80: You, as a moderator, are a figurehead representative of them, whether or not you care to admit it.
Again, only the blues are representatives of GOG. CM's are first and foremost GOG users just like you, an nothing is official posted by us unless it directly deals with moderation. Furthermore, I had moved on from this thread until you felt the need to publicly comment on my post to which you can have easily PM'd me instead based on stuff that happen yesterday.

LiquidOxygen80: so unless you're willing to start writing explicit disclaimers to your intent, then no, you should be willfully recusing yourself from discussions like these
I don't have to recuse myself from any discussion on this forum, as again I do not work for GOG. I am allowed to have my own opinion and to participate in these discussions, but somehow some of you don't seem to understand that. I will not be silent just to appease people that have an issue with my stance on this. However, I had already decided I will be adding a disclaimer for now on to my post when the discussion is heated so there is no confusion for anyone involved. Have a nice day.

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
Post edited October 04, 2020 by GameN16bit
high rated
LiefLayer: I really hate when gog don't understand their core business...
DRM-free games and old games.
If they continue to do shit like this they will die sooner or later.

The only reason why they are still alive is because of release like metal gear (good old games).
Agreed. GOG was always known as THE place to get DRM free games. That's literally why they got big. If they drop even that then there's not much left. It will be yet another store. At that point you could just buy your games on Steam because it literally makes no difference anymore. Honestly I don't think GOG would be able to survive if they stopped selling DRM free games. Partnering with Epic just contradicts their core values.
SpikedWallMan: If GOG wants to "level the playing field" as you say, it's going to have to be through making a better product than Steam ...
toxicTom: ^This!

And the better product is there - it's DRM-free! If that means GOG needs to go large on eye-wetting sob-stories of how people lost access to their games because of DRM, about museums not being able to display games as contemporary art because of DRM, so be it.
GOG playing in the same league as Steam and Epic is a like an organic vegetable shop trying to compete with a discounter chain. It just can't work. All you can do is make people aware of what you're doing, and why it's a good thing and worth the money.
The fact that people need to be made aware of why owning a DRM free copy is a good idea, is quite sad.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by DrmSucksMaster
high rated
DrmSucksMaster: GOG was always known as THE place to get DRM free games. That's literally why they got big. If they drop even that then there's not much left. It will be yet another store. At that point you could just buy your games on Steam because it literally makes no difference anymore. Honestly I don't think GOG would be able to survive if they stopped selling DRM free games. Partnering with Epic just contradicts their core values.
It appears GOG the company is trying to have their cake and eat it too. GOG.com, which is run by GOG the company, will still be known as the place to get DRM-free games, while GOG Galaxy 2.0, which is also run by the company, is a completely optional client with a new store that will apparently sell DRMed games. Confused yet?

So, at best case, it seems GOG the company is hoping to maintain the DRM-free nature of GOG.com while abandoning GOG the company's core values elsewhere, not on GOG.com itself.

Of course this is a completely fabricated narrative hastily jumbled together, when considering that normal customers think of "GOG the company" and don't make distinctions between client and website...particularly when everything about the website is designed to funnel users to the client.
high rated
DrmSucksMaster: The fact that people need to be made aware of why owning a DRM free copy is a good idea, is quite sad.
Too many people are lazy and mindlessly complacent and wouldn't even care even after being told, easily placated by a perceived sense of convenience, and that is becoming more important than ethics, standards, ownership etc.

Who needs DRM free when clients make it so easy to just consume product and be excited for more product.

This situation is really getting pathetic and depressing.
high rated
Breja: I assure you, nothing will happen. This is a big step involving a deal with a third party, I'm not sure it would be realistic to expect GOG to change their mind now even if the whole comunity rose up in an uproar. Definitely not when a huge chunk of it is either passively accepting it or actively defending it.
I've said my piece, but as I've also said many times before, I just keep voting with my wallet, buying the GOG DRM-free releases as long as I feel GOG.com is providing a service I like. For instance, the Metal Gear Solid 1-2, Talos Principle and Silent Hill 4 releases were more than welcome.

So no I am not starting some store-wide boycott (especially as there aren't much of alternatives at this point), due to this, as I feel GOG is still providing a service I like to use and DRM-free games I like to buy. However I admit I am looking at GOG as a store with more suspicion now, and maybe even looking a bit for alternatives, just in case. (Yes I am expecting this will e.g. make GOG more passive to try to secure some new releases to GOG.com, if they are coming to Galaxy Epic anyway.)

And I also look at the Galaxy client with even more suspicion now, not really wanting to look at it even if some interesting multiplayer or in-dev game came to GOG which would benefit from Galaxy (for multiplayer support and autoupdates).

I wouldn't want to be a GOG employee right now as I am sure this change is from the shareholders and the "new owners", who feel GOG must change and try new things in order to make as much profit as possible in short term. No matter if they happen to slowly destroy their own service and infrastructure in the process (the way Humble Bundle, Gamersgate.com etc. chose before), but whatever.

I wonder if there is some internal struggle within GOG.com now where some people are working on the "Galaxy-side" of GOG.com and some others on the "legacy DRM-free web based GOG.com", and it has become clear to all employees that the Galaxy-department has the future while the latter is more insecure and only people who have no choice stay to work there to keep "the legacy" up for now? I've seen that happen in so many companies before where I've either worked or just happen to know, LOL...

Maybe it is really that hard to keep a digital gaming store profitable, especially with Epic/Tencent using money to disrupt the market with lots of AAA freebies etc. That's life I guess.

GOG is free to run their business as they want or have to (providing they don't break any laws), and I guess I am free to stop using their service if things at some point come to that.

Good thing though that my existing DRM-free GOG purchases/games are secured, on my hard drive. :)
Post edited October 04, 2020 by timppu
Truth007: This is really bad, looks like they are listening to the wrong gamers and becoming more like Steam.
With this being such a high rated comment I'm starting to think that gogers are cynical and just assume the worst. Maybe Epic plans to release some of their games on gog and work together to knock Steam down from it's high horse. As long as gog continue to sell DRM free games that require either client or server activation to work I'll be happy. It's also worth noting that Epic does sell DRM free games through their client and what what I hear the work a little better than Steam's so called DRM free selection.
russellskanne: I've just read the news on german 4players (I don't follow the galaxy discussion here) and I couldn't believe it.
I'm speechless. Has GOG lost it's mind? This is ridiculous!
So GOGs longtime goal is to just offer a free client and buying platform for other drm-stores, or what?
Galaxy being an all in one universal client was always the agenda it was never a secret.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by McMicroDonalds
Truth007: This is really bad, looks like they are listening to the wrong gamers and becoming more like Steam.
McMicroDonalds: With this being such a high rated comment I'm starting to think that gogers are cynical and just assume the worst. Maybe Epic plans to release some of their games on gog and work together to knock Steam down from it's high horse. As long as gog continue to sell DRM free games that require either client or server activation to work I'll be happy. It's also worth noting that Epic does sell DRM free games through their client and what what I hear the work a little better than Steam's so called DRM free selection.
russellskanne: I've just read the news on german 4players (I don't follow the galaxy discussion here) and I couldn't believe it.
I'm speechless. Has GOG lost it's mind? This is ridiculous!
So GOGs longtime goal is to just offer a free client and buying platform for other drm-stores, or what?
McMicroDonalds: Galaxy being an all in one universal client was always the agenda it was never a secret.
You aren't getting the point, gog now supports drm. On reddit gog already said there will be drm'ed epic games specifically.
high rated
GameN16bit: ------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do to represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
Right, so now I'm officially confused. If you are not affiliated with GOG whatsoever (which you just claimed in bold) then as a Moderator you moderate (Forums?) on behalf of... who exactly?
Post edited October 04, 2020 by Mr_GeO
low rated
adamhm: Imagine if other companies did something like this, such as a long-established health food company suddenly deciding to start selling fast food from Mcdonalds/KFC/etc. "but it's fine because we're only selling it via our app and it'll be delivered by our partner companies. We're still fully committed to reducing incidences of obesity-related diseases that will take a toll on our society if it is not slowed".

Or a company formed to help people quit smoking deciding to start offering a range of cigars, cigarettes & other tobacco products and accessories, "but it's fine because we're only selling them via our app and they'll be delivered by our partner companies. We're still fully committed to our mission of helping people quit smoking".

Or a company founded on a basis of being environmentally friendly/providing environmentally friendly products partnering up with oil corporations and chemical manufacturers to offer diesel/petrol generators + fuel, disposable plastic products, CFC-based aerosols etc. "but it's fine because we're only selling them via our app and the actual delivery will be arranged by our partner companies. We're still focused on our founding goal of helping the environment by reducing our reliance on fossil fuels, single-use plastics etc".

...and then having people come along to defend them!
I get your analogy, but it's not quite correct because GOG and Steam and Humble and Origin and Epic are selling the same stuff - video games. Some are DRM free, most are not.

You can buy DRM free games from any store, you as a consumer have that freedom. It is just so that GOG.com has the biggest selection. But you are not married to GOG.com or obliged to buy only from them just as GOG has no obligations to you, other then to give you working games for your money.

I get why some people are revolted and feel betrayed with GOG decision to partner up with Epic and sell (most likely) DRMd games. But for me it's a simple buy/don't buy decision - just like shopping in a store: don't buy lager, buy some stout. Why would someone be emotionally attached to some game store is beyond me, but to each their own, I guess.
high rated
krakataul: I get your analogy, but it's not quite correct because GOG and Steam and Humble and Origin and Epic are selling the same stuff - video games. Some are DRM free, most are not.
Except that GOG has spent the entire 12 years of its existence up to now campaigning against DRM, making a point about how it's unethical, anti-gamer & anti-game-preservation, saying as much in interviews/publicity events, running initiatives such as FCK DRM etc. and making repeated promises that they'd never sell games with it; they've made this their identity, their brand - and now they're effectively throwing that away by deciding to start selling DRM'ed games on behalf of another distributor (one who has been shown to be rather scummy in general and pretty much the polar opposite of what GOG is supposed to have been standing for).

Here's my earlier post with more detail about our grievances with this move:

adamhm: The crux of the matter is:

* GOG launched back in 2008 on a platform of treating customers fairly, with a number of "core values", the main one being their opposition to DRM.
* They built up their brand and userbase on these core values.
* Over time these "core values" have been eroded and dropped one by one, leaving just one: DRM-freedom, which they have repeatedly assured us that they would never back down on, stating that they view DRM as an anti-consumer and unethical practice that they would never support. "DRM-free" essentially is/was GOG's identity.
* Meanwhile they've been working on a client, GOG Galaxy, which they insist is entirely optional.
* However they've been working towards making GOG Galaxy the primary focus of GOG to the extent that:
- It's heavily promoted everywhere on the site and many users don't even know that the standalone offline installers are a thing because Galaxy is pushed so hard. For many users there is no distinction; "GOG Galaxy" == "GOG".
- They've used deceptive tactics to try to trick users into installing the Galaxy client (such as a BIG download button for Galaxy + hidden or small links for the game installers, or bundling the Galaxy installer with game installers and installing Galaxy by default, etc.)
- The standalone offline installers are now getting neglected in many cases; missing updates, broken updates not being rolled back, etc.
- Users of the standalone offline installers requesting support are routinely told to use GOG Galaxy as the first suggestion and have to be persistent to get proper support for them.
- Linux versions of many games are not being released here because of the lack of Galaxy support, etc.
* As a result of the above, it's clear that GOG Galaxy isn't as optional as they claim, and that GOG's "traditional" userbase/people who use the standalone installers are now effectively second-class customers. Linux users are pretty much third-class; an afterthought.
* At the same time, GOG's communication with the userbase has mostly stopped. It used to be that staff members would regularly interact with the community & seemed like GOG actually cared about gaming & their customers... now there's mostly silence, except for the occasional "good news" (tm).
* And now GOG plans to drop the last of their "core values" and start selling games with DRM. They'll be promoting and profiting from DRM'ed games, and apparently they think this is ok because it'll only be offered through their client - the same client that they've made the primary focus of their store & direct their customers to as much as possible - and because they'll only be the ones selling the games & won't actually be the ones supplying them.

It's completely hypocritical. Why should anyone trust GOG after this?
Post edited October 04, 2020 by adamhm
low rated
Mr_GeO: Right, so now I'm officially confused. If you are not affiliated with GOG whatsoever (which you just claimed in bold) then as a Moderator you moderate (Forums?) on behalf of... who exactly?
What I actually claimed is I do not work for GOG and that I am not paid by GOG and that my views do not represent them. I however I do moderate the forum based on GOG's posted "Forum Code of Conduct", in collaboration with GOG. Community Moderators are volunteer positions, with the only stated goal of enforcing the "Forum Code of Conduct". Nothing else.

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
Post edited October 04, 2020 by GameN16bit
low rated
Truth007: You aren't getting the point, gog now supports drm. On reddit gog already said there will be drm'ed epic games specifically.
That's kind of splitters hairs dude. That's like saying CD project support DRM because geralt of rivia made a guest appearance is Soul Calabar and Monster Hunter. Until they start selling DRM games on the in the actual store I will pay this no mind. It's not like I use the client anyway.