It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
DarkSaber2k: If I acted in my volunteer role the way you are here, I'd be out on my ass.
GameN16bit: Must not have been a very good place then if giving facts is an issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
You're quarrelsome, patronising, snarky, arrogant and every time you use your favorite ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ as a "get out of jail free card" for being an ass you make yourself look like a troll. I'd say I can hardly imagine a place where all that qualifies one to be a mod, only apparently I'm in one right now.

toxicTom: We had our differences "Elsweyr", but this deserves to be printed and mailed to GOG HQ. You really nailed it.
Thank you. And while we probably still disagree on the point of that other thread, in the light of what you've been saying here I think I owe you an apology for some of the things I said there. Clearly I at least partially misunderstood your position.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by Breja
low rated
DarkSaber2k: "Obviously, you are not the target audience then. " is very different from "this feature is not intended for you"
Do you not know what target audience means? I'm serious. It means GOG did not develop this feature for someone that has no use for it. toxicTom did not have a use for this feature, ie he was not the target audience. There was nothing insulting about that whatsoever.

DarkSaber2k: Back to Social Media school

And I work for a much more media savvy company than GOG
Don't think I didn't see what you originally wrote.
GameN16bit: Must not have been a very good place then if giving facts is an issue. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Breja: You're quarrelsome, patronising, snarky, arrogant and every time you use your favorite ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ as a "get out of jail free card" for being an ass you make yourself look like a troll. I'd say I can hardly imagine a place where all that qualifies one to be a mod, only apparently I'm in one right now.
Using an emoji is now a problem? Really? Okay then...

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
Post edited October 04, 2020 by GameN16bit
DarkSaber2k: "Obviously, you are not the target audience then. " is very different from "this feature is not intended for you"

Do you not know what target audience means? I'm serious. It means GOG did not develop this feature for someone that has no use for it. toxicTom did not have a use for this feature, ie he was not the target audience. There was nothing insulting about that whatsoever.\
GameN16bit:
DarkSaber2k: Back to Social Media school

And I work for a much more media savvy company than GOG
GameN16bit: Don't think I didn't see what you originally wrote.
Breja: You're quarrelsome, patronising, snarky, arrogant and every time you use your favorite ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ as a "get out of jail free card" for being an ass you make yourself look like a troll. I'd say I can hardly imagine a place where all that qualifies one to be a mod, only apparently I'm in one right now.
GameN16bit: Using an emoji is now a problem? Really? Okay then...
What a ****. Maybe practice in front of a mirror or something?

[*Post modded by PainOfSalvation: Please refrain from using vulgar words, this is against our Forum Code of Conduct.]
Post edited October 04, 2020 by PainOfSalvation
low rated
Truth007: You aren't a man, you accept anything and don't do anything about it. Shilling for a company is something no one should be doing.
I'm not shilling except for the fact that I'm just preaching against the choir and hopefully downvoted for that because I don't give a fuck and I simply find the topic interesting.

Though truth be told, I would be sad if GOG ceases to exist for some silly reason, any and all which could be avoided. I simply don't see this to be the case and if I happen to not be a man because someone as important as you tells me to then thats fine with me. I still think they make business decisions based around hard data what we simply cannot have.

They wouldn't do these decisions if the core audience, the people posting on the forums and posters who happen to use GOG since 2008-2012, are the only important people who purchase games from here. But considering some of the phrases and idioms used by some of the posters in this thread makes it look like that this community is mostly within a small insignificant bubble. This sort of "old man yells at cloud syndrome" happens with a lot of within smaller online communities, you know.

At any case, accepting reality should be something that everyone with a brain should be doing, including men. I don't see any proof that you accidently happen to both have a brain and a penis, so what gives? I am rubber you are glue, etc.

At least thank you for making this entertaining. I was about to ignore the thread because people repeating themselves including myself. I still hope GOG staff is actively monitoring this thread and perhaps we might be able to get some proper response if people are really this bothered about it.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by Dray2k
low rated
SpikedWallMan: So you think I'm being dishonest? What a strange way to reply to a personal statement... Please believe me that I WILL stop buying from GOG if they just become just another DRM store. Why fragment my DRM'd library when I can just use Steam?
I think a lot of people claim this, very few follow through... but if you do, you do. That's your choice.

SpikedWallMan: One can hope... I don't have visibility into CDPR's business plan so I don't know what they are thinking. This is such a significant deviation from their previous plans that it raises questions about the future of DRM-free in GOG's store.
I mean has been pretty clear what the intention here is. They consider GOG.com one store within Galaxy and the GOG.com store is not changing.

SpikedWallMan: So what's the unique value proposition here? What if Steam was to offer a similar all-in-one launcher feature tomorrow? They could easily do so since all of the APIs are open enough for GOG to do it, and they have the industry connections to make any special integrations happen. How would GOG selling games from another store help GOG's interests then if their launcher is no longer anything special? Also, why hasn't Steam done launcher integrations like this already? Maybe because Steam doesn't want to promote competitors?
That could happen, but Steam is so big that they really have no reason too... not yet anyway. Now if Galaxy starts gaining real traction and is viewed as a threat then Valve might do that.

SpikedWallMan: I believe that I have addressed that it doesn't matter if it's Galaxy-only and/or can be disabled. The fact that Galaxy offers a game from *any* store disincentivizes DRM-free releases directly on GOG because devs could argue that "it's already sold on Galaxy" if it's on any store promoted through Galaxy.
The chances of that are slim IMO.

SpikedWallMan: If the goal is only 10%-20%, there are far better ways to do that which I previously outlined. Also, I would question whether doing Epic's launcher development and tech support while taking a small financial cut would even make GOG break even at only 10%-20%. Also, I would be surprised if GOG was able to convince 10%-20% of Steam's users to completely leave Steam just by selling Epic's games or offering an integrated launcher.
Is there? GOG has been doing this for a long time and still only has maybe 10% and that is if the game releases on the same day as Steam, Epic, etc. Only with the changes and introduction of Galaxy have they seen real growth and better releases.

SpikedWallMan: So by extension, Steam has more money and could do a better job with an all-in-one launcher than GOG can do with Galaxy? I am still not seeing the unique value proposition here, and the point that I'm making is that GOG betting so heavily on Galaxy's integration features seems like a misguided decision. Also, if you assume that Galaxy's integrations are not unique, then that just leaves the fact that GOG is now selling Epic's DRM'd games and taking over portions of their launcher development and tech support. This decision by GOG does not make sense to me because it appears to hurt GOG's business instead of help it.
Steam could for sure, but has no real reason too... if they do, it because they see Galaxy as a threat. There is no unique value proposition if you are only a GOG.com user. But if you use Epic Games there is value here. There is for sure a chance this will not work out the way GOG believes, I will give you that, but I think the potential reward is greater then the risk IMO.
DarkSaber2k: Snip
Look I know tensions are high and people are angry with this announcement, so I'm going to cut you a break here, but if you keep up with insults like this then we will be having a very different discussion. I have not personally insulted you whatsoever.

So I will ask nicely, please cut it out. Thank you.

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
TheDudeLebowski: Will we get an official response concerning our protest?
This thread seems way to chaotic to really be considered a "protest" imo. People might have to organize off-site or something.
high rated
SpikedWallMan: So you think I'm being dishonest? What a strange way to reply to a personal statement... Please believe me that I WILL stop buying from GOG if they just become just another DRM store. Why fragment my DRM'd library when I can just use Steam?
GameN16bit: I think a lot of people claim this, very few follow through... but if you do, you do. That's your choice.
You do know that pirate copies of games were mostly DRM-cracked games even if they were released on GOG DRM-free, right?

GOG was spared because the goal was to crack the DRM and make a statement. However, 2 days ago, Illegal copies of GOG games have started popping up everywhere (when the announcement was made).

Care to guess what would happen to disgruntled ex-customers when they start feeling they are not part of a larger group anymore?

People are spending money on GOG by choice.
tfishell: This thread seems way to chaotic to really be considered a "protest" imo. People might have to organize off-site or something.
While not start a crowdfund to fund another platform that goes back to the roots like GOG once did? The bigger it gets, the more people may donate. If tens of thousand names are attached to the brand then you have a true "by gamers, for gamers" slogan that has a lot of gravitas behind it because of how it is funded.

The problem is that the new company may snowball into something bigger than intended and the circle may repeat anew but it may still be worth a try if people on here actually act. Just find a bigboi youtuber like YongYea or someone like that to stir up some controversy and to promote the new shop.

Or just send GOG a lot of angry e-mails or something amongst those lines, perhaps the people in charge of this community may listen.
high rated
I never thought I would see the day a moderator from a respectable company like GOG would engage its costumers, in their official forums, with this kind of arrogant and rude attitude. What is going on in here?

People have invested their money on this place because of a service they believe in and appreciate. GOG represents a niche market that gamers have demanded for years, and it is probably one of the few stores that operates with DRM-free content where you can download and store your games forever.

The recent events have caused people to question the direction this company is going, causing concern and doubt about what is actually happening. Meanwhile, the actual staff remains silent and avoids any sort of clarification, leaving room for wide speculation. A simple "don't worry about it, our mission remains the same" from any blue here would be enough to calm most people down. Yet we got nothing of the sorts.

All of this speculation should be a matter of utmost concern for GOG as a company, since word of mouth has always been one of the most positive (or negative) assets of any business. All of this concern from us is based on what has repeatedly happened with companies operating in this business segment, and despite GOG's overall positive track record, specially from all the good faith originated from CD Projekt Red with The Witcher series, they are not above suspicion.

Meanwhile, a moderator addresses our concerns as "doom and gloom", pretty much mocking us with recurrent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ postings as if to reinforce his position of disdain towards us. No business in their right mind should be ok with this sort of behavior towards their audience.
high rated
Dray2k: At any case, accepting reality should be something that everyone with a brain should be doing, including men. I don't see any proof that you accidently happen to both have a brain and a penis, so what gives? I am rubber you are glue, etc.
Companies have an interest to get a foothold on your computer. It is about control and information and they market it as convenience for you as a customer and with accepting that you make one step closer to games as a service, meaning you pay the full price for a game, but do not own it, you rent it (technically, we are already there with the license agreement, but it would be hard to enforce it with offline installers) . Apart from giving away a ton of information about your usage of your computer and your gaming habits.

Accepting reality does not mean, that reality is moving in a good direction...why do you think, you have the rights you have now? Because people back then accepted reality? What nonsense.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by Arundir
high rated
racofer: A simple "don't worry about it, our mission remains the same" from any blue here would be enough to calm most people down. Yet we got nothing of the sorts.
Actually we got just that a while back. It's just that, for reasons state by me in detail here I don't find if very reassuring, and I don't think others do.
low rated
Arundir: *snip*
Of course not, yet people had over a decade to notice these important negative changes and to counteract against them (perhaps its even several decades, people on here probably remember HOTU and what it stood for, its one of the reasons GOG exists in the first place). I don't think anyone would actually prefer to live in a cyberpunk dystopia at least until it actually happens. We're pretty close to actually head into such a direction within our lifespan. At least until you get some of that covid, then that lifespan is probably a bit too short but not by much.

All that crying helps nobody unless you're willing to actually want a better future. I don't see it happen because people are too lazy for that shit and rather want to gather around to fill 27 pages of circlejerk nonsense that nobody in charge and who also understands business has a use for.

I'm a bit bothered how GOG is further dispersing the core audience as well but actually try to find solutions instead of dreaming that anybody else does what you're too lazy to do. Crowdfunding a whole new store and using such funds to attact the licenseholders is a good start. Again, simply starting a crowdfunding campaign and find a big youtuber that stirs up some news is a good start. If enough people want this to happen the bigboi youtubers may feel inclined to report these news, making enough people interested to spend some money to make the dream happen. Creating a new shop is already enough for some of these folks to cover it, at least in my opinion.

Doesn't even need that many people to crowdfund something like this, probably like 30.000 - 50.000 people for starters (if those people are willing to spend more than 25 bucks per person, that is). Thats small numbers compared to the audiences that are willing to contribute some cash that some of these news youtubers or even some of the bigger twitch streamers have. It all depends on how the news develop.

EDIT: Added some random shit.
high rated
Arundir: *snip*
Dray2k: Of course not, yet people had over a decade to notice these important negative changes and to counteract against them (perhaps its even several decades, people on here probably remember HOTU and what it stood for, its one of the reasons GOG exists in the first place). I don't think anyone would actually prefer to live in a cyberpunk dystopia at least until it actually happens. We're pretty close to actually head into such a direction within our lifespan. At least until you get some of that covid, then that lifespan is probably a bit too short but not by much.
I am here because I do not like having third party software on my computer that starts itself every time I want to play a game, neither do I want to authenticate myself to a third party every time I want to play a game.Also I do not want any DRM software running in the background. Then there is the control aspect, when you get a patched regional version and the game on your computer is altered.

Selling stuff from Epic Games months after the FCKDRM campaign is just a joke and a slap into the face of every customer who chose GOG because of that campaign.
Post edited October 04, 2020 by Arundir
low rated
racofer: Meanwhile, a moderator addresses our concerns as "doom and gloom", pretty much mocking us with recurrent ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ postings as if to reinforce his position of disdain towards us. No business in their right mind should be ok with this sort of behavior towards their audience.
I do not work for GOG & I'm entitled to my opinion... if you consider using an emoji to signify being indifferent to your position in this discussion "mocking" then I can't help that. I'm not going to suddenly change my opinion because somehow people think I'm "rude" to them.

I have no power over what GOG does or does not do, it is not for me to address your concerns I'm sorry to say... that falls on GOG... I am a GOG user, fan, and player just like everyone else. You seem to think a community mod has a higher statue then everyone else. We don't. We try to maintain order on the forum and enforce the forum rules... this is all. If you think I've somehow broke the forum rules then by means, your more then welcome to take it up with GOG. But I'm fairly certain I have not.

------

low rated
Arundir: Selling stuff from Epic Games months after the FCKDRM campaign is just a joke and a slap into the face of every customer who chose GOG because of that campaign.
All of this is true. Still, i think that the GOG staff know more about the situation then we do. Perhaps they were forced to make compromises and knew the possible blowback but general analysis of the datapoints that they've accumulated thoughout the time (through community interaction or by pitting customer GOGs core audience vs sales numbers vs consumer interest or whatever else they do).

Its not silly to assume that they know way more than any of us and are making decision according of what they know is all I'm saying.