It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
.Ra: It's still bad because gog's philosophy is against drm. That is still supporting drm in some form.
GameN16bit: And GOG.com the storefront is still against DRM. You aren't buying these games directly on the GOG.com store front. Galaxy =/= GOG.com. If your complaint is GOG get's a cut of these sales? Why shouldn't they? The are developing Galaxy and putting resources into it's development. If Epic (or any other store) is going to benefit from that work then GOG should be compensated for it. If you choose to buy an Epic game, your buying your games from a DRM storefront, in this case Epic if you choose to buy from them, Galaxy is simply the gatekeeper in this scenario. Your not directly buying from GOG.com itself.

People are viewing Galaxy and GOG.com as one in the same and they are really not. Galaxy is not a store front for GOG directly, it is a client that happens to include the GOG.com storefront (and others with this update).
Galaxy is still a gog product though so it supports drm.
high rated
GameN16bit: If your complaint is GOG get's a cut of these sales? Why shouldn't they?
The general consensus is that GOG, through Galaxy, is indirectly supporting DRM sales (even if it's on other stores). It contradicts the FCKDRM narrative. That is what most of the users in this thread are saying, including myself.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by TheDudeLebowski
low rated
Breja: And still none of that contradicts what I said. Quite amazing really. Three paragraphs and you're not even close to what I said.
Okay I'll be direct then. While GOG has had amazing sale records they they have had very little profit. Operating cost have gone up. Many developers still complain GOG has to low of a userbase.

All of these decisions with Galaxy 2.0 directly targets those issues. Why GOG may not be in danger of "dying" per say, they are not seeing the growth they need to really be maintainable long term. The growth is there of of course, but it's needs to be a lot bigger.

GOG also needs to figure out how to keep people engaged in using GOG.com. Buying a few games a year and then forgetting GOG exist does not help them, but keeping people longing in Galaxy everyday to play any game regardless of platform will keep people engaged into the GOG ecosystem.

So saying GOG is "doing very well lately" and that they "don't need to survive" is misleading to say the least...

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
Post edited October 04, 2020 by GameN16bit
Breja: And still none of that contradicts what I said. Quite amazing really. Three paragraphs and you're not even close to what I said.
GameN16bit: Okay I'll be direct then. While GOG has had amazing sale records they they have had very little profit.
You're not direct, you're wrong. The profits were also higher then ever, at 5,5 million złoty for those six months, compared to 3 million for the whole 2019.

GameN16bit: So saying GOG is "doing very well lately" and that they "don't need to survive" is misleading to say the least...
Next time check your info before you accuse others of being "misleading". G'day.
low rated
.Ra: Galaxy is still a gog product though so it supports drm.
Galaxy 2.0 supported DRM before this... or did you forget it allowed you to play DRM games. GOG isn't dumb, they know DRM exist. They know they have to work within the confines of the industry, and unfortunately the industry loves DRM.

I don't remember GOG ever vowing to not offer an product that supports DRM. They said they would not sell a game with DRM on GOG.com and this change doesn't change that. They said they are generally against DRM and recognizing you have to support DRM to increase usage and to gain users on the DRM free store doesn't really go against that either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

------

Disclaimer: I do not work for GOG.com, nor am I paid by GOG.com. All views expressed in this post are my own, and do not represent the views of GOG.com or it's employees. My views are expressed as a fan, gamer, and fellow GOG user... that is all. Thank you
high rated
.Ra: Galaxy is still a gog product though so it supports drm.
GameN16bit: Galaxy 2.0 supported DRM before this... or did you forget it allowed you to play DRM games.
Allowed you to play =/= made money off of.
So you admit gog supports drm and lied which decreases consumer trust. You don't make a dedicated website against drm and then turn around and support it. By the way even on the gog.com store there is drm, gwent is online only.
low rated
Breja: You're not direct, you're wrong. The profits were also higher then ever, at 5,5 million złoty for those six months, compared to 3 million for the whole 2019.
That's not exactly amazing... especially in USD. Again why was there an increase? Galaxy and Cyberpunk... the goal of any store is to continue to increase profits. You act like that made 100 million in sales. There is still a long way to go here or do you not notice that many new games still get pulled from lack of updates due to lack of sales.

I can't count how many new games get released here without a single review...

------

high rated
GOOD NEWS!!!!!™™™™™™™™

I like how the actual official announcement was discreetly hidden away in the Galaxy 2.0 subforum, hoping that no one would notice. And seeing a low rated bluepost always brings joy to my heart, as it guarantees nothing but the finest in gog drama!
Post edited October 02, 2020 by fronzelneekburm
Breja: You're not direct, you're wrong. The profits were also higher then ever, at 5,5 million złoty for those six months, compared to 3 million for the whole 2019.
GameN16bit: That's not exactly amazing... especially in USD.
Never said it was "amazing". I'm just saying this isn't a necessary, last ditch effort to save GOG from oblivion.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by Breja
high rated
GameN16bit: Galaxy 2.0 supported DRM before this... or did you forget it allowed you to play DRM games. GOG isn't dumb, they know DRM exist. They know they have to work within the confines of the industry, and unfortunately the industry loves DRM.

I don't remember GOG ever vowing to offer an product that supports DRM. They said they would not sell a game with DRM on GOG.com and this changes doesn't change that. They said they are generally against DRM and recognizing you have to support DRM to increase usage and to gain users on the DRM free store doesn't really go against that either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
All that is clear from the corporate perspective, and has been since your first post. Thank you for taking the time to respond.

From the main GOG customer perspective, however, we belong(ed) to a group that supported a common cause, namely being against DRM. When a group's main catalyst bends its principles, the cause of said group becomes moot. The same would happen with a politcal party whose leader bends his/her principles, or a sports team, and so on. The group may carry on with its original core principles, but there will be no meeting place until another takes its place.

Yes, GOG is bending its core principles to strengthen its footing and ultimately bring more DRM-free titles to the store, but it's.... dirty, to say the least.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by TheDudeLebowski
high rated
GameN16bit: All of these decisions with Galaxy 2.0 directly targets those issues. Why GOG may not be in danger of "dying" per say, they are not seeing the growth they need to really be maintainable long term. The growth is there of of course, but it's needs to be a lot bigger.
Uh-oh, there it is... It's the old "not enough growth" mantra.

Exsqueeze me, but I thought this site was mainly a dumping ground where old games go to be laid to rest. It was basically a passion project, run by a bunch of podunk Poles and as such is basically the opposite of what I would associate with terms like "growth" and "profit".

Unfortunately, CDP is publically traded and now some of the investors have noticed that black hole of profit that shows up in CDP's quarterly reports and have come knocking down the doors of CDP managment, demanding that this money sink is turned into something profitable, or else. And gog, in their despair, have since scrambled along to do everything in their power to turn this into the next best thing to Steam.

At least that's what I think happened, considering some of the rather dark turns this site took in the past years.

GameN16bit: I don't remember GOG ever vowing to not offer an product that supports DRM. They said they would not sell a game with DRM on GOG.com and this change doesn't change that. They said they are generally against DRM and recognizing you have to support DRM to increase usage and to gain users on the DRM free store doesn't really go against that either.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Lol, WTF....

BK, I think you're an alright guy and all, but I honestly advise you to not fight that loosing battle on gog's behalf. There's mental gymnastics at work here that make you look like a brainwashed shill. No offense!
low rated
Breja: I call bullshit. If anything this will make bringing games to GOG proper redundant and less devs will bother to do so.
GOG will win. Epic will win here. Nobody really loses with this deal.

GOG wins because they need more users and sales and PC gamers are reluctant to split their gaming libraries and stats, Galaxy 2.0 is slowly solving that problem and offering more stores and collaboration will get more people to try it out . Epic wins because is get's more sales and exposure from people that either a) don't really use Epic much or b) don't care for Epic's launcher. Galaxy 2.0 does a particularly decent job of making it feel like there isn't a secondary launcher between you the end user and the game.

When developers / publishers stop selling game here or reductant to sell a game here 9 times out of 10 it's nearly always because of GOG not having a large userbase and because of low sales... especially with indie devs. Rarely does this come down to an issue of DRM, unless the publisher was already dead set against DRM free to begin with in which case this really doesn't change anything to begin with. So saying that because of Galaxy having DRM games this is going to somehow now stop developers from offering games on GOG.com DRM Free is unrealistic.

Getting people to regularly use GOG and to staying engaged in the GOG ecosystem is half the battle. Once that do that they can do small but meaningful things inside Galaxy to promote buying the GOG version of game over any other platform. Once that happens, developers will be more inclined to offer games here, DRM will be irrelevant to most of them. And the end of the day it comes down to "how much money am I going to make here" and if GOG has enough users to make that worthwhile, again DRM will become irrelevant unless it was a publisher that already is a strong DRM user.
fronzelneekburm: BK, I think you're an alright guy and all, but I honestly advise you to not fight that loosing battle on gog's behalf. There's mental gymnastics at work here that make you look like a brainwashed shill. No offense!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just calling it like I see it. I buy from all store fronts, I own stuff on GOG, Steam, Origin, and Epic (though just free stuff). I don't have a bone in this fight. Somebody has to be the voice of reason to what is actually happening here.

------

high rated
Unfortunately to relent and allow the sale of Epic titles tied to their launcher is basically signalling that they nolonger want to keep a strong push on the DRM-free concept with their future clientele.

While in the short term selling Epic titles, no matter how selective, is saying "OK so they don't want to release on GOG so we'll offer customers to buy from Epic through us. Yay!". In the long-term though it's removed every iota of a reason for the companies to ever release on GOG natively in the future.

In other words: "Why modify our code to be DRM-free on GOG when we can just arrange to sell it through Galaxy on Epic?" Galaxy gains them the visibility to GOG customers they wanted, whilst never having to modify their code to do so. Win for the devs, win for Epic, lose for the FCKDRM initiative. And when customers start realising that it's likely cheaper just to buy the games from Epic directly and the numbers of fresh DRM-free titles dries up on GOG, GOG either turns straight into a key reseller like Humble or declares bankruptcy and closes.
high rated
Breja: I call bullshit. If anything this will make bringing games to GOG proper redundant and less devs will bother to do so.
GameN16bit: GOG will win. Epic will win here. Nobody really loses with this deal.
War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Yeah, I'm done. Thanks to the No Man's Sky fiasco I've at this for days now, and I'm just tired of this messed up DRMfender (yes, I do hope this catches on) moon logic and hopless, sad need to shill for GOG whatever they do, however obviously they bend and break their one time values.

And most of all, I no longer have the passion, or anger, or whatever it was that would have kept me going in the past. Too many people welcome this with open arms.

Everybody have a good one, I'm off.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by Breja