It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/do_not_get_bought_by_epic_games - completed

"Since its launch, the most requested new feature has been the option to buy games not only from GOG.COM, but from other platforms as well, straight from the GOG GALAXY app" - from the original thread on the Galaxy forum.

Is the most requested feature by who exactly, I wonder, because we know who didn't...

Let's see how this rolls out.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by Dark_art_
skeletonbow: I have to admit that this has occurred to me as a possibility also. DRM-free has always been their core tenet, that which they've sworn would never change. If this is really actually happening and not a hoax, the only viable reason for it that I can think of is to try desperately to save a sinking ship. I don't know if that's the case, but that's what it leads me to believe may be the case as this makes no sense for the GOG company I've followed for the last decade.
SpikedWallMan: I have always been one to scoff at those who say that GOG is in trouble because they have always seemed to be doing well with The Witcher, Cyberpunk preorders, and the older games for which they've secured re-releases. (Such as old games from EA, Ubi, ActiBlizz, Bethesda, etc.) However, this stealth announcement is starting to make me wonder if the naysayers really were right after all.
I'm torn between thinking that and my marketing hoax theory. For now at least my wallet is locked up until I download every one of my 700'ish games and all the goodies etc. and the wait to see what becomes of this.
Time4Tea: Wrong. It is going to make developers less likely to release games here DRM-free, if they know they can access the GOG userbase by releasing games on Epic(fail). It is also completely counteractive to promoting DRM-free and growing the DRM-free userbase.
Gersen: Customers that enabled the Epic integration, which is not enabled by default, already knows about the Epic store, and, if they enable integration, they even already have an account there. So Devs will only gain access the portion of the Gog user base that was already part of the Epic store user base to begin with.
Truth007: It does though since the galaxy store is the same as the gog.com store...
Gersen: Then show me where the Epic games are on the Gog store then ? As the close beta has started if it's the same "store" it should be there then ?
It's in beta, why would they roll it out everywhere before making sure everything works.
low rated
Truth007: It's in beta, why would they roll it out everywhere before making sure everything works.
You are the one who said it was the same store, if they are able to keep it separated for the beta what makes you think they wont be able to keep it separated too after ?
low rated
OK, so GOG's a key-reseller now. Nothing's changed, calm down.
Truth007: It's in beta, why would they roll it out everywhere before making sure everything works.
Gersen: You are the one who said it was the same store, if they are able to keep it separated for the beta what makes you think they wont be able to keep it separated too after ?
Beta usually means that it will eventually replace what's currently released.
There's one perfectly logical explanation for all of this.

*SPOILER* GOG staff was gradually replaced by lizard people. The Enigmatic T found out and was never seen again.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by Leroux
Gersen: You are the one who said it was the same store, if they are able to keep it separated for the beta what makes you think they wont be able to keep it separated too after ?
We are both assuming at this point until we find out eventually. Either way lets say if its separate then that is still breaking the drm philosophy they had and its supporting drm.
skeletonbow: I'm torn between thinking that and my marketing hoax theory. For now at least my wallet is locked up until I download every one of my 700'ish games and all the goodies etc. and the wait to see what becomes of this.
Until you've downloaded the game you've bought here, it isn't any different from having bought a DRM'ed game (on Steam e.g.).
I'm not telling you to do anything, but finding DRM-free important but and downloading your game immediately does not compute.
Leroux: *SPOILER* GOG staff was gradually replaced by lizard people. The Enigmatic T found out and was never seen again.
I think they originally were lizard people and have been gradually replaced by pesky humans.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by teceem
Crazy question: if selling DRM'd games is the only way to save GOG, while maintaining it's some of current functionality would you prefer GOG cease to exist or making a backwards step and sell DRM'd games?

I'm asking this, because I'm asking this myself and to be honest, not sure about the answer.
Populous TB brought me here but what made me stay was the offline installers. Once I learn about them (they are not that advertised huh) I started to buy some games on GOG.

This whole Epic stunt can't be good (for us who prefer DRM free games) in the long run and is a step towards less Linux support.
Group with a platform that uses DRM to exclusive games.

That is one of the reasons I do not use GOG GALAXY anymore.

(another reason is Python?
SpikedWallMan: Beta usually means that it will eventually replace what's currently released.
Not necessarily, you can have new features in beta that won't replace anything, just be added on top of the already existing one. For now nothing indicates that this "Epic" store feature will ever leak outside of Galaxy, that's probably why it has been announced in the Galaxy forum and not in the main forum.

So IMHO it's a little to early to start panicking that Gog will start selling and advertising games from other store on the website or to peoples who haven't activated said stores integration.
StingingVelvet: I'm fully aware I'm in a small and irrelevant niche.
Maybe a niche in the grand world of games, but not irrelevant. It made GOG what is now after all.
StingingVelvet: I'm fully aware I'm in a small and irrelevant niche.
Dark_art_: Maybe a niche in the grand world of games, but not irrelevant. It made GOG what is now after all.
In the grand world of "games", even Steam could be considered a "niche". Yes, I'm talking about mobile games, facebook games, etc.

I wouldn't be surprised that in the 90s, minesweeper and solitaire were the most popular, most played games.
Post edited October 02, 2020 by teceem
high rated
Dark_art_: Crazy question: if selling DRM'd games is the only way to save GOG, while maintaining it's some of current functionality would you prefer GOG cease to exist or making a backwards step and sell DRM'd games?

I'm asking this, because I'm asking this myself and to be honest, not sure about the answer.
Populous TB brought me here but what made me stay was the offline installers. Once I learn about them (they are not that advertised huh) I started to buy some games on GOG.

This whole Epic stunt can't be good (for us who prefer DRM free games) in the long run and is a step towards less Linux support.
Starting to sell DRM-ed games will lead to GOG's downfall anyway, since DRM-free is their only unique selling point. Therefore, your statement "if selling DRM'd games is the only way to save GOG..." is paradoxical. If they are at a point where selling DRM is the only way they can be saved, then they are already doomed.

The only conceivable way GOG can continue to survive is to double down on DRM-free. However, it seems they are instead choosing a dark and misguided path :-(