It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

One could say that GOG Galaxy is a simply stellar platform.

These past couple of days have been full of good news here at the office! First, our partners in crime CD PROJEKT RED told the world that 4 million copies of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt have been sold. Now we’re here to announce that in the first two weeks almost 700 thousand gamers worldwide have gone with GOG Galaxy as their monster-huntin’ platform - more than all other PC options combined!

Headcount: Over 693,000 gamers worldwide
Volume: Over 21.5 petabytes of game and bonus content
Achievements: 3.5 million unlocked
Combined game time: 1,770 years (that’s 646,479 full 24-hour days)

See the video below for more stats about The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt on GOG.com!

<iframe width="775" height="436" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9vh5mxm5Jy8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jealous you’re not part of the stats? Join the GOG Galaxy open beta and help us raise those numbers!
saif3r: Too bad that Galaxy has some serious issues with counting time played...
I don't think it measures time played if you launch the game directly instead of through galaxy, so that might be what you are experiencing. That's not an issue steam/origin/uplay have since you have to use those to launch games using their drm, which fortunately is not the case with galaxy. If you are sure you always launch through galaxy and still have discrepencies, I'd bug report it.
bleclair: And the next big increase of Galaxy users will be with Witcher 4. ;-)
Don't forget about that Cyberpunk game. ;)
Lodium: Do you mean you are forced to install Galaxy if you buy the witcher 3 retail or Digital?
IF you are forced i woud call gog advertising pretty false and if you dont know
false advertising can get you sued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_advertising

Gog have said the client is optinal so if they suddenly force alot of people to install the client withouth taking down the advertising about the client being optinal
they woud be pretty fast in legal troubles.
In a situation of disclosed false advertisement, being in legal trouble is probably not the primal problem. Being sentenced to pay a penalty for false advertisement would certainly hurt, if it could not be averted by the lawyers. But the bigger consequence of such doings would probably be a significant erosion of customer trust which in turn could lead to stakeholders losing confidence in the company remaining (or becoming) a profitable business, which would be more of a problem for the company than having to pay a fine.

By the way, an enforced client is not akin to DRM! If a game requires PhysX and thus forces you to install PhysX, does it in your opinion make it a form of DRM? As long as the client does not control when and where you can play the game or requires you to log on to some kind of online service (with the obvious exception being multi-player), the client is no DRM even if it would be required to start the game...
Post edited June 12, 2015 by elgonzo
synfresh: I find it incredibly ironic that GoG toots it's own horn when it comes to Galaxy, yet in I'm sure a large percentage of that 700k, there was nothing 'optional' (from the user point of view) in installing and running on Galaxy if they bought retail. This coming from the same site where there is a sizeable amount of users who do not like clients period.

Meanwhile Valve is over there clapping their hands, saying 'welcome to the dark side'.
Lodium: Do you mean you are forced to install Galaxy if you buy the witcher 3 retail or Digital?
IF you are forced i woud call gog advertising pretty false and if you dont know
false advertising can get you sued.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_advertising

Gog have said the client is optinal so if they suddenly force alot of people to install the client withouth taking down the advertising about the client being optinal
they woud be pretty fast in legal troubles.
There isn't false advertising even if you do have to use galaxy to play retail copies or digital bought elsewhere. GOG and CD Projekt Red only state that if you buy through GOG the games are drm free and you never need galaxy to run any GOG games. If you bought the game on steam, then you run it on steam. If you bought it retail hard copy, then I'm guessing the installer is by default GOG's tools, so Galaxy, but you can then uninstall Galaxy (if it did force you to install it, which you can probably opt to open the disk and install it manually) and run the game directly.
Cyraxpt: Almost, 1.250.000 PC (700.000 Gog + 550.000 Steam), 3.750.000 consoles. I guess it was the other stores (nuuvem, gmg, amazon, etc) selling the gog key that made Gog outsell Steam.
bleclair: And Nvidia was giving away codes with video cards that redeem at GoG.
Really a moot point, that happens with all new games. Nvidia is giving the new batman game now and when I bought my new GPU 2 weeks ago I received another key for W3 and also the upcoming batman game, both.
AMD based cards are now giving out Dirt rally.

And not sure what your issues are with how GOG sorts games in your library now. Your newest games are listed first the way it should be as those are most likely the games one would be playing next/soon.

Well I'm off to view the steam sale pages where whenever I view a game and go back to the sale page the order they list the games in changes and I have to start over from page one in order to see all the games on sale. Oh joy.
And yipee I see I or others have to play a "game" to even unlock games that will go on sale tomorrow and that said game has in game advertising.

All digital distribution gaming clients have their pluses and minuses, if you combine them all together you still would not have a perfect one and never will as it is impossible to please everyone.
I have a retail copy and I didn't have to install Galaxy to run my game, so I don't really know what this forcing thing is all about. And if you have your copy from GOG, you can download it using your browser and simply run that downloaded installer, so again - no Galaxy required.

And now for something completely different - I know it's beta nad all, but Galaxy stopped tracking my achievements, I have 8 of them unlocked and nothing past that. And yes, I did what was required to get at least five more.
What about those of us who play the game without Galaxy?
Guys, the end of the GOG galaxy video gives us a tip for something.
What might it be?

tr3ein
blotunga: What about those of us who play the game without Galaxy?
Good question. I guess these people can't be tracked as easy as client users . :)
I never thought that anything would beat Steam. But as time has gone by it's looking more and more plausible that one day GOG might over take Steam. Not even saying likely just saying maybe some day.
How the game has nearly 600 000 owners on Steam, according to Steamspy?
http://steamspy.com/app/292030
GOG.com: News: GOG Galaxy home to over half of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt PC gamers!
I'll drink to that! Go, GOG! :)
GOG.com: Now we’re here to announce that in the first two weeks almost 700 thousand gamers worldwide have gone with GOG Galaxy as their monster-huntin’ platform - more than all other PC options combined!
Congratulations on unlocking this achievement.

As excited as I am about news concerning a 2015 game on a 2015 beta platform, here is something that I'd really love to hear from you: news concerning a 1999 game on a 2008 beta platform, for example:

How many gamers have purchased Planescape: Torment on the GOG website?
Literally the only reason im using this client is because i bought a 970 and the code i got with the gpu REQUIRED me to download it in order to play the witcher 3, ive never heard of it before and wont use it again when im done, i find it really funny that they wanna build themselves up that their user base is so big when literally the only reason people use it is because you are FORCED to use it to play Witcher 3, on of the biggest releases of 2015, if you didnt buy it on steam. if you bought it retail or online, this is usually the only option. If they didnt force you to use it in order to play Witcher 3 they would lose a huge majority of users.

**And if you wanted to download it online, there is a bunch of confusing packages that installs the game in like 7 or 8 sections and you also have to download the installer, which if you are not expierenced, can cause you to screw up your whole download and alot of space on your computer is used in the process, as well as time.
Post edited June 12, 2015 by kalmetra
From a user point of view, Galaxy still seems to be doing more harm than good at its current stage, so I decided to ignore it for now. Will probably give it another chance once most of the issues have been ironed out.

Still, congrats on GOG's and Witcher 3's success!
kalmetra: Literally the only reason im using this client is because i bought a 970 and the code i got with the gpu REQUIRED me to download it in order to play the witcher 3, ive never heard of it before and wont use it again when im done, i find it really funny that they wanna build themselves up that their user base is so big when literally the only reason people use it is because you are FORCED to use it to play Witcher 3, on of the biggest releases of 2015, if you didnt buy it on steam. if you bought it retail or online, this is usually the only option. If they didnt force you to use it in order to play Witcher 3 they would lose a huge majority of users.

**And if you wanted to download it online, there is a bunch of confusing packages that installs the game in like 7 or 8 sections and you also have to download the installer, which if you are not expierenced, can cause you to screw up your whole download and alot of space on your computer is used in the process, as well as time.
I also got a W3 code with my graphics card, and bought a copy via retail, and neither require the Galaxy client. It's true that it seems to be installed by default, but you can launch the game just fine without it, which is what I've been doing.
Post edited June 12, 2015 by CharlesGrey