It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Windows 10 is coming on July 29th and we are as ready as can be!

You have been asking on our forums, and now we are here with the official word! We're getting ready for Windows 10 and putting our QA Team at full capacity to test the games we (and you!) are looking forward to play on the upcoming OS.

Currently, we are very optimistic about July 29th and hope you will make a near-seamless transition to gaming on the newest version of your Windows operating system.

GOG.com has always been about making sure our releases, especially the classics, are tested and playable out of the box on modern computers.

When GOG.com launched in 2008, Windows XP was by far the most popular operating system among gamers. Ever since then we've meticulously tested our entire library to introduce Day 1 compatibility with every new Windows release. We've done it for Windows 7, we've done it for Windows 8 - now we're doing it all again for Windows 10.

So far, things are looking great. We're encountering very few problems and most of those are either resolvable on our end, or likely to get fixed as Windows 10 nears release. In fact, many games that had issues on operating systems newer than Windows XP once again won’t suffer any hiccups on Windows 10. The OS is still a work in progress, so while anything can happen until the release date we're confident for the future. This is the smoothest transition to a brand new system that we've ever worked on.

Some games may need a patch to run perfectly smoothly, but don't worry - they will be available on the site, and if you use GOG Galaxy, your games will be ready to go automatically.
noncompliantgame: Best to just stick with win7. :-)
But 10 is FTW!

and you get dx(unused) V. whatever!
Post edited July 11, 2015 by lazydog
tinyE: WE'RE READY!
You are the only one with the gloves, right? :P
Gilozard: That's like saying that cars in the 50s drove, so all these newfangled cars with seatbelts and ABS aren't offering anything you don't have. It's obviously untrue, and makes you look dangerously ignorant.

XP is no longer securable, and every connected XP computer is going to become part of a botnet. There is literally no other alternative. XP's fundamental design is not capable of handling an always-connected world. There was nothing wrong with XP when it was around, but it's simply not capable of dealing with modern computing.

If price is an issue, Linux Mint or Lubuntu look almost exactly like XP and are incredibly easy to use.
If game compatibility is a concern, GOG games are certified for Windows 7, 8, and now 10. Or, WINE works pretty well for older games on Linux.
If drivers are an issue, grab a cheap machine for going online and air gap your XP computer.
If your emotional attachment to XP and fear of learning a new OS is the issue, put on your big person pants and take a Learn2Computer class at your local library.

There are no excuses for going online with XP at this point.
flashpulse: Been using XP since it came out. No issues what so ever. I have no ideas what others are doing on their computers or why they have issues on XP but all is fine here. I play my games just fine, internet is good and I even develop/write software on it. Quite frankly, all operating systems are vulnerable. Nothing is secure in this world.
Agree. Why do people down XP. I use the internet too. Some people are using the computer wrong. And games seem to work better with XP. Just my opinion.
shadow29: I feel the same way. Microsoft wants to forced people to leave a OS they like using. XP is fine for me.

That's how I feel. I like XP a lot. After all the games are old. So XP should matter. But I think GOG really wants to be modern and get all the latest games. Because soon they'll run out of old games. But new games aren't all that really. GamersGate has a nice selection of games. If only they came in file form like GOG. They have hidden object games. I like them. And I like all the old games too. Not so much the trashy games they make now.
flashpulse: Yep. Just use Avast anti virus and get an ad blocker plugin for Firefox. Windows 8 is no safer than Windows 98. Just don't go to strange websites and only open or view text emails. Unless you know it's coming from someone you trust. I've been using computers for a long time now. If the new OS offers features you don't need or want... There's no reason to upgrade. It's not like your pc is going to stop working. Not the OS anyway. Hard drives and so forth is a different story.
That's what I dread. I hope my computer will last a long time. They should still sell older computers. Where did they go, to a landfill. And I love Firefox. I have a ad blocker and Malwarebytes software. I could even dual boot with Windows 98 if I wanted to. Just to play those real difficult games. Windows 98se is fast to me.
Post edited July 11, 2015 by shadow29
JaPan: Well, the only thing that may persuade me to switch to Win 10 is DX12. Till then I will be more than happy with my Win 7. I used Win 8 for an hour once and I would rather comit a harakiri than to use that monstrosity any longer.
Yeah, Windows 8 is too bossy. And I don't like that UEFI booting junk. I tried 8 and I hate it. Tiles are ugly. And the start menu is dumb.
flashpulse: Yep. Just use Avast anti virus and get an ad blocker plugin for Firefox. Windows 8 is no safer than Windows 98. Just don't go to strange websites and only open or view text emails. Unless you know it's coming from someone you trust. I've been using computers for a long time now. If the new OS offers features you don't need or want... There's no reason to upgrade. It's not like your pc is going to stop working. Not the OS anyway. Hard drives and so forth is a different story.
tammerwhisk: This isn't true at all. Modern OS' are much better at limiting the access software has to various system resources, better error handling, and a better seperation of resources and privileges. XP and older are open books anymore the number of exploits and vulnerabilities is astounding. Sure, they do "work" but they are not remotely secure and a simple AV isn't enough to make up for the deficiency.
shadow29: I feel the same way. Microsoft wants to forced people to leave a OS they like using. XP is fine for me.

That's how I feel. I like XP a lot. After all the games are old. So XP should matter. But I think GOG really wants to be modern and get all the latest games. Because soon they'll run out of old games. But new games aren't all that really. GamersGate has a nice selection of games. If only they came in file form like GOG. They have hidden object games. I like them. And I like all the old games too. Not so much the trashy games they make now.
tammerwhisk: XP has more security loopholes than Sony's networks. And is unsupported by basically everything anymore.
That's your opinion. Have fun with your Windows Cloud subscription OS.
jalister: 7 doesn't feel archaic to me at all. 8 has way more issues for me. 8 feels schizophrenic with the traditional and modern desktops. I can't stand the modern UI, borderless windows, and the flat look of it all. If there was a version of 8 that had the entire modern UI ripped out of it, then I might like it.

My Linux distros have had better hardware support to me than any version of Windows I've used so far.
tammerwhisk: At least when it comes to the install process 7 is a tad archaic. The install environment does not play nicely with newer things like usb 3.0 at all.
That's your problem. You just need to have all the latest stuff. You are a great customer for Microsoft.
Post edited July 11, 2015 by shadow29
I greatly appreciate GOG's assiduous attitude for preparing for the latest operating systems but honestly, I think you can take your time on this one. Everyone knows it will be better than 8 because it's effectively impossible to build a worse operating system, especially now the fascist idealism of Sinofsky has been acrimoniously but mercifully removed from the picture. Combined with the exit of Balmer, the Window's division may just be able to start focusing on making usable operating systems again. It will take a great deal of effort to undo the remarkable legacy of damaging business decisions that have blighted Windows for so long, but maybe Nadella has the skill and determination to finally get this ship back on course.

Anyway, my point is that after the debacle of Windows 8, early-adoption of Windows 10 will be limited to the technologically-minded types (who probably know what they're getting themselves into) and the extremely fool-hardy types (who probably don't).

Of course, anyone buying a new PC off-the-shelf will have to accept whatever Microsoft forces upon them. I'm pretty sure that's the only reason why Windows 8 has any market share at all. But sensible consumers will not be throwing themselves into Windows 10 prematurely (unless they're stuck on 8 in which case I could forgive them for wanting to bin it at all costs, irrespective of the repercussions).

But hey, that's just may take. I didn't even upgrade to Win 7 until the first service pack had been released; until then I was running Windows XP x64 edition, circa 2005 (and I note that it was one of the most stable operating systems I've ever had the pleasure of working with).

Well, I've gone on for long enough so I shall bid you farewell. Good work and good gaming to the guys and gals at GOG and to all my fellow DRM-free-loving gamers!
tammerwhisk: This isn't true at all. Modern OS' are much better at limiting the access software has to various system resources, better error handling, and a better seperation of resources and privileges. XP and older are open books anymore the number of exploits and vulnerabilities is astounding. Sure, they do "work" but they are not remotely secure and a simple AV isn't enough to make up for the deficiency.

XP has more security loopholes than Sony's networks. And is unsupported by basically everything anymore.
shadow29: That's your opinion. Have fun with your Windows Cloud subscription OS.
tammerwhisk: At least when it comes to the install process 7 is a tad archaic. The install environment does not play nicely with newer things like usb 3.0 at all.
shadow29: That's your problem. You just need to have all the latest stuff. You are a great customer for Microsoft.
...I love how XP holdouts always seem to act like this. No where did I say you need to use 10 or 8 or anything or the sort, all I said to you and the other guy is XP isn't remotely secure.
tammerwhisk: Better security and stability =/= immunity. Nice misleading argument. The government is also incompetent, especially in light of the resent breach where they didn't follow proper protocol at all and basically left tons of gov't employees info unprotected.
Do NOT argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Information like this is great! It lets people know that you actively try to improve. Keep up the great work!
tammerwhisk: ...I love how XP holdouts always seem to act like this. No where did I say you need to use 10 or 8 or anything or the sort, all I said to you and the other guy is XP isn't remotely secure.
Neither is any newer version of Windows. It doesn't matter what Microsoft said they added security wise.
Post edited July 11, 2015 by flashpulse
Hooray, all ten users of windows 10 will be very happy to hear about it!

Otherwise, wake me up when something relevant ton future-proof operating systems (hint: Linux-based) appear.

/Estel
tammerwhisk: ...I love how XP holdouts always seem to act like this. No where did I say you need to use 10 or 8 or anything or the sort, all I said to you and the other guy is XP isn't remotely secure.
flashpulse: Neither is any newer version of Windows. It doesn't matter what Microsoft said they added security wise.
There's degrees of security. Newer versions tend to be more secure than older ones. Especially when MS stops patching things. XP itself was horribly insecure because of various architectural decisions they made.

Personally, with my current rig, I mostly just run Windows in a VM. Which works for anything that doesn't require a real graphics accelerator. Hopefully at some point Virtualbox will get a proper accelerator.
tammerwhisk: Better security and stability =/= immunity. Nice misleading argument. The government is also incompetent, especially in light of the resent breach where they didn't follow proper protocol at all and basically left tons of gov't employees info unprotected.
zeroxxx: Do NOT argue with idiots. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
That's a Mark Twain quote isn't it?
You have 1 year to get the free update from 7, 8 or 8.1 to 10. So make sure you stop being dumbasses about the free upgrade before it expires.

Been using it since beginning of 2015 and it's a great OS.
Good to see customer support is excellent. Unlike other platforms were you can buy a 'Cat in a bag' sometimes.
10 just seems like a blend of 7 and 8. i.e. Start button is like it was in 7 and has a mini version of the tiles used in 8 on the side of it. There's a mixture of others things similar to 7 & 8 but theres the new feature too instead of just redone stuff from 7 & 8. Also since you dont have to uninstall your OS to get 10 and its acting like a large update in the sense that u can just download and install, its bound to have more stability or at least resolve issuses people have had on the previous operating systems. Overall everyone would be fine sticking with 7 or 8 but if they want to change things up, try the new features, or switch because there is problems their current version he/she cant stand, the upgrade to 10 is FREE and may satisfy you. 10 doesnt seem bad to me though and would like to try it out.
Attachments: