It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

low rated
Speaking of "needing" things to relate to in their media of choice: a large number(not all, of course) of those i've talked to/read about/etc who say such things usually have or seem to have self confidence issues.

i.e. if one is confident in their identity(race/s*xuality/gender/etc), they shouldn't need a plethora of representation in media/etc to feel better/validate themselves.

Therefore: a better solution/fix for those who think they feel a need for such media would probably be to find ways to boost their self confidence, more so than trying to find more of said media.

(speaking of self confidence issues: I have a feeling that's why a number of lgbt cling to the LGBT+ movement....to bolster/supplement their own low/failing self confidence)

(note: I say the above as an observation only, and not to intentionally offend)

=-=-=-=
=-=-=-=

All the above said:
(to the thread & GOG)

I applaud GOG for at least not making a sale of said games in order to try and use the event as a sale opportunity....so kudos for that, GOG.
Post edited June 06, 2021 by GamezRanker
low rated
Seb3.7: https://www.gog.com/forum/general/i_am_jesus_christ_gameplay_trailer/post20
your post posted same time as this above. I am sorry I had to. This is just contradicted.
I think it's safe to assume he expects respect for himself, but isn't that willing to grant it to others.
low rated
Im very dissapointed in gog.
low rated
Anyway, I'll just take this opportunity to also point out that this whole thing is basically nothing but a glorified GOGmix. If GOG didn't nuke one of the most useful and fun features they used to have for absolutely no good reason we'd have a comprehensive list like this (along with plenty of others) around all the time. A better list, actually, as it would probably havesome details as to why every game is on the list too. No one would feel the need to argue about it, and it wouldn't be seen as a PR stunt.
low rated
Breja: "...It's a good thing Batman is heterosexual. That totally makes me relate to that billionaire playboy superhero who hangs out with Superman and the Flash! I could never imagine being him if he were also gay!"
Actually, you could make legitimate interpretation of Batman being gay (see Grant Morrison), just as much as you can interpret him as straight. Thing with Batman is that you can interpret him in any way, and put him in (almost?) any story and it would work. That makes him second greatest hero of all time.
low rated
Breja: The whole idea of needing a character to share one's gender/race/sexual orientation to be relatable is just bizarre to me.
GamezRanker: I (like a number of others) play games/consume other media of any type as long as it is good. I don't need my specific gender/s*xuality/race represented to have fun with it.
LootHunter: I don't see any specific game titles or why those games "spoke to that person".
Your opinion also applies to me as I presume we're similar in demographics. The identity of protagonists and NPCs isn't significant to me either unless it's a central part of the writing.

However, creative works have different meanings for different demographics. For example, female teenagers and career men with families playing the same game may come out with different impressions. If they're more relatable or valuable for other people, what gives us the authority to take that away from them? Not every game was designed prioritizing 16-40 year old male gamers as its target audience. If gamedevs think there's a market out there for [gender / sexuality / racial] minorities, let them.

Reminds me of this related video, honestly.
low rated
LootHunter: I don't see any specific game titles or why those games "spoke to that person".
Canuck_Cat: Your opinion also applies to me
If you want my actual opinion about you, allow me to send you PMs, because if I post that, I'll be banned.
Post edited June 06, 2021 by LootHunter
low rated
LootHunter: If you want my actual opinion about you, allow me to send you PMs, because if I post that, I'll be banned.
I don't do PMs except for friends I know IRL. Please feel free to share your opinion about me openly. If it's content that risks you getting banned, maybe consider keeping the idea(s) to yourself.
low rated
LootHunter: If you want my actual opinion about you, allow me to send you PMs, because if I post that, I'll be banned.
Canuck_Cat: I don't do PMs except for friends I know IRL. Please feel free to share your opinion about me openly. If it's content that risks you getting banned, maybe consider keeping the idea(s) to yourself.
Then stop lying. Stop claiming that you want discussions about society's issues if you want people to "keep to themselves" any ideas that aren't aligned with your (and GOG moderators') views. You don't want a discussion, you just want your views to be validated.

I personally have nothing against Pride Month or Pride Month Collection. But it's attacks from people like you that are a problem.
Post edited June 06, 2021 by LootHunter
low rated
Are there any steps taken by LGBTQ+ community towards decriminalization of paedophilia?
In the past I heard on TV that there is a pro-paedophilia political party in Netherlands.

I mean, if a 5 years old child is allowed to change his gender independently of parent's wish, so... he/she/it might have rights to marry, or have sex with adult people. Now such adult people have to contact people like Jeffrey Epstein and hide theirs sexual orientation.

Kinda feels logical for LGBTQ+ to protect opressed sexual minorities.
low rated
Breja: Anyway, I'll just take this opportunity to also point out that this whole thing is basically nothing but a glorified GOGmix. If GOG didn't nuke one of the most useful and fun features they used to have for absolutely no good reason we'd have a comprehensive list like this (along with plenty of others) around all the time. A better list, actually, as it would probably havesome details as to why every game is on the list too. No one would feel the need to argue about it, and it wouldn't be seen as a PR stunt.
#BringBackGogMixes

-

Mafwek: Actually, you could make legitimate interpretation of Batman being gay (see Grant Morrison), just as much as you can interpret him as straight. Thing with Batman is that you can interpret him in any way, and put him in (almost?) any story and it would work. That makes him second greatest hero of all time.
That makes me think of another thing: one doesn't/shouldn't need/"need" an established character being "confirmed" as/changed to *insert gender/s*xuality flavor of the month here* either, as: the reader/viewer/player can just imagine that character with whatever aspects they want
low rated
Canuck_Cat: However, creative works have different meanings for different demographics. For example, female teenagers and career men with families playing the same game may come out with different impressions. If they're more relatable or valuable for other people, what gives us the authority to take that away from them?
Who says anyone is trying to?

Musing to all: I never got this....how some(i mean in general, not the one i'm replying to here specifically) seem to see criticism of something as if the critic is trying to(or can) take something away from or deny someone else something, or as if the critic's very words alone have the power to do such.

Canuck_Cat: If gamedevs think there's a market out there for [gender / sexuality / racial] minorities, let them.
Game companies/devs usually try to sell to anyone they can.....it's more so that they now pander to modern things in a number of cases to act like they care**, whether to get good PR and/or to move a few more units.

(**This is not to say some of them don't actually care and/or don't make such games/etc for good reasons....some do)
low rated
vsr: Are there any steps taken by LGBTQ+ community towards decriminalization of paedophilia?
I don't think there is today, at least to any significant extent.
However, back in the 1970s/1980s there were indeed pederasts/pedophiles (men arguing that sex with children or underage youths could be consensual) under the umbrella of the gay movement in many Western countries.
Eventually they were mostly kicked out. However that history is one of the reasons why the attitude of some of the LBGTQ+ members here gets on my nerves. Their movement has shown poor judgement in the past, yet apparently today you're not supposed to question ANY aspect of the LGBTQ+ agenda, you're supposed to uncritically accept all of it.
Personally I've come to accept that homosexuals should have the right to civil unions/marriage, and I can even understand the case for "representation" of homosexual characters in games etc. But I really don't agree with everything flying under the LBGTQ+ banner today, and it's the insinuation that ALL of this ought to be uncontroversial and beyond debate that is so irritating about something like "Pride month" in my opinion.
Post edited June 06, 2021 by morolf
low rated
Breja: I can honestly say that the thought that I can't relate to a character because they are not "like me" has never, ever crossed my mind.
That's because, in the vast majority of games with characters, the main character is mostly "like you". If that weren't the case, you'd probably tell a different story.

For example, straight romance plots are incredibly common in all sorts of media (going back to at least Shakespeare, and almost certainly millennia before them), to the point where they feel overdone, and I find I can't relate to those plots. Can you see how that can get frustrating when such a thing is *so* common in media?
Mafwek: Actually, you could make legitimate interpretation of Batman being gay (see Grant Morrison), just as much as you can interpret him as straight. Thing with Batman is that you can interpret him in any way, and put him in (almost?) any story and it would work. That makes him second greatest hero of all time.
GamezRanker: That makes me think of another thing: one doesn't/shouldn't need/"need" an established character being "confirmed" as/changed to *insert gender/s*xuality flavor of the month here* either, as: the reader/viewer/player can just imagine that character with whatever aspects they want
As long as the character doesn't have aspects or plot elements that contradict that.

For example, in the Dragon Quest series, DQ5, DQ8, and (from what I hear) DQ11 (non-S) all have content that would not work if the main character were gay (though in DQ8 and DQ11 it's limited to the ending, and in DQ8 not even the main ending). In fact, DQ5's handling of gender and marriage is why, from a standpoint of plot and characters (which isn't how I usually judge games), it's not as good as DQ4. (From a feminist perspective, DQ4 is far better than DQ5, and it's not even close.)

There's also some dissonance in the Ultima series; it's quite reasonable that the player would make the main character in Ultima 4, 5, 6, 7, and 7SI, only to reach Ultima 8 and discover that the Avatar must be male, breaking continuity for that player. (That's actually the reason I haven't tried Ultima 8 or 9.)
Post edited June 06, 2021 by dtgreene
low rated
LootHunter: Then stop lying. Stop claiming that you want discussions about society's issues if you want people to "keep to themselves" any ideas that aren't aligned with your (and GOG moderators') views. You don't want a discussion, you just want your views to be validated.

I personally have nothing against Pride Month or Pride Month Collection. But it's attacks from people like you that are a problem.
There's nothing wrong with me maintaining my own privacy from internet strangers. Please respect it as I respect everyone else's just as how I don't PM others, especially not others who have the intention to post contents that could get them banned in public.

Please list explicit examples where I've lied and attacked people in this thread. Back up your claims or this is another baseless accusation. The only time I consider myself being uncivil was defending myself from someone calling me a liberal and having a mental illness of which said comment has been removed. And later calling them misinformed because they incorrectly generalized my own religion to make a point.

Being in a public forum, people are more than willing to disagree with me openly as they have. And I can respond with my own input, open to your scrutiny. I don't see mods removing everyone else's civilized opinions in response to mine. This is how democracy and civilized discussions work. Please prove me wrong otherwise.

GamezRanker: Who says anyone is trying to?
I apologize, I did not mean that way. My point is both can co-exist. While no idea should be free of criticism, there are valid reasons why it's important for some people to have relatable characters in their lives - possibly because they have none so whatsoever in their lives.
Post edited June 06, 2021 by Canuck_Cat