It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

In the scientific method, an experiment is an empirical method that arbitrates between competing models or hypotheses. Experimentation is also used to test existing theories or new hypotheses in order to support them or disprove them.
Take a look at the steps of the scientific method:
1. Make observations.
2. Formulate a hypothesis.
3. Design and conduct an experiment to test the hypothesis.
4. Evaluate the results and accept or reject the hypothesis.

STEP 1: Observations
#1 People who play computer games like games. This is mostly true, however some gamers who played these titles might disagree.
#2 People who buy computer games prefer spending less money to spending more money.
It hurts us a little bit, but the truth is games don't sell for $1000+
#3 GOG.com users are people who play, like, and buy computer games.

STEP 2: Hypothesis
If GOG.com lowers the prices of some games in our catalog, more gamers will be inclined to buy and enjoy those high-quality products.

STEP 3: The Experiment
We're trying out some new pricing, and we want to see what you guys think of it.

Prices changed from $5.99 to $3.99:
Alien Shooter, Celtic Kings, Commandos Ammo Pack, Constructor, Empire Earth, Knights and Merchants, Litil Divil, Lords of Magic, Lords of the Realm, Mobile Forces, Myst: Masterpiece Edition, Outcast, Personal Nightmare, Realms of Haunting, Rollercoaster Tycoon, Simon the Sorcerer, Waxworks.

Prices changed from $9.99 to $6.99:
Broken Sword 4: The Angel of Death, Ceville, Evil Genius, Haegemonia Gold Edition, King's Bounty, Moto Racer 3, Red Baron Pack, Restaurant Empire, Sanitarium, Shadowgrounds, Sherlock Holmes, The Incredible Machines, Warlords Battlecry 3

STEP 4: Results
This is where you, our dear gamers, step in and decide the results. We'd like to offer you the best games in history on PC & Mac for the most affordable prices, but we need to fund testing, coding, bundling, and securing rights to even more classics. So we want to see if this brings us and our partners more money overall, even though there's less per individual sale. That's the argument we'd like to make, but we'll see what the results from you guys actually are as we try out our new price points.
anoninhk: Because if so, some people may still want to wait for those to go on sale before buying, so you'll be taking in even less than before.
Not if people buy them now that wouldn't have bought them for the earlier prizes.

Granted, if someone thought that a 50%-off-sale of Rollercoaster Tycoon earlier ($3) was too much, they probably won't buy it at the same percentage sale ($2) now either, given the small difference. But I don't know, it's not for me they lowered the prices, but for people who's brains (and/or economy) work different to mine.
Something to bear in mind is that we gamers only have a finite amount of cash to spend. Instead of picking a title we want and then asking ourselves how much we are prepared/able to pay for it , some of us see how much cash is available to buy a game and see what we like that is within our price range.

For me, there are some games that I would buy for any reasonable price, but I have to have the money to do so. Reducing the price does help, but if I only have $10, then I can only spend $10.

On the whole though, cutting margins on a bunch of titles should increase the number of sales, and improve GOG's already high customer satisfaction and goodwill, while the prices of best-selling titles can remain static as we are quite prepared to pay the asking price.

In a world of micro-transactions and DRM, GOG is a fortress of sanity and fairness.
I didn't even realize the Restaurant Empire game was here. Not that I'm particularly interested in it. It's just that games pop up all the time that I didn't even realize were in the catalogue. You would think as many times as I have looked through it there would be some recognition of these titles. It's like I've never even seen them before. Yet, there they are.
I think adding more prices is completely reasonable. I hope it does bring GOG more sales as the whole concept is just really good.
I say if you spend X amount of dollars in a certain period of time and you maintain that level of spending with GOG, then you get put in a tier. Say you are a silver or gold member, this allows you to get discount based o your status... Or these members get in on special sales. Either way, customers that buy the most will buy more. No one can resist a deal.

In addition you could save some money by allowing members, such as myself, to do some of your testing. With the economy the way it is there are people searching for work... Durring this time they have time to play/test games for free and it is a good thing to add to a resume. Win-Win for GOG and their select customer base.

Thank you.
I found out about GOG on a youtube video of a guy playing Fallout, and saying it was for free in GOG for a day or something like that, by the time I saw such video the offer was off so I blamed myself for not finding it out earlier haha, so I registered and bought nothing until now:

Sacred Gold
Vampire The Masquerade Redemption
Witcher 2
Witcher
Thief III

So I can say I've put some bucks in this site, and I can honestly say I'm so happy about it, GOG gave me access to games I haven't played in years, it has revived my childhood.

The thing is, as some guys said, there games that are way acquireable in here, but there are games that are just overpriced, you guys at GOG must find a way to lower such prices, let the must popular ones on their actual price, if you want to lower it we the comunity will not complain :), but your primary objective is to hunt those pricy games and find a way to lower their prices.

This is just an example based on my actual opinion: I'm thinking of buying Hotline Miami so hard, but the lack of freebies make the game, atleast to me not worth buying right now, If GOG adds more content then I'll pay 10$ withouth hesitation for it, if not then I'll wait for it to be on sale or something.

What's the message here? If some games at a certain price, are not being acquired that much you guys must seek a way to make them more desireable for us, if they're lacking content add some and see the result, maybe customers just want to feel their gaming bucks are well being used. Or try by lowering their prices, at the end the thing is we the gamers who have discovered GOG are in love with it, and if GOG give us more love we will do so aswell, you guys rock, your my first choice when buying games now, DRM will dominate the world.

KEEP IT UP!
Crsldmc: I'm thinking of buying Hotline Miami so hard,
Buy that game! Buy it so hard. You know you want to. :P

j/k, nice post, always cool to hear about how people found GOG and came to enjoy the site. :)
Crsldmc: I'm thinking of buying Hotline Miami so hard,
mondo84: Buy that game! Buy it so hard. You know you want to. :P

j/k, nice post, always cool to hear about how people found GOG and came to enjoy the site. :)
Hahah indeed, but the lack of extra content is holding me back, I destinate 15$ (when I can) to gaming purposes, I would love to get the game and some good content (atleast a soundtrack since it's awesome) :).

I guess time will tell! there are other titles I got my eye on :d, thanks for answering, I'm finding the GOG comunity to be one of the best ones I've seen.

And GOG, you rock bro.
G-Doc:
Are there any plans of allowing the catalog to be filtered by these new price points while this experiment is happening?
Dratted Wintersday sale....

I would participate BUT...
G-Doc:
adambiser: Are there any plans of allowing the catalog to be filtered by these new price points while this experiment is happening?
No. As long as it's just an experiment we don't plan to add that functionality. If we decide to keep the new price points permanently, filtering will be added.
I think, as long as you release such gems like System Shock 2, experimenting with the prizes of other games won't hurt you ;)
Post edited February 21, 2013 by Pip-Boy
Result: Perfect.
Pip-Boy: I think, as long as you release such gems like System Shock 2, experimenting with the prizes of other games won't hurt you ;)
Totally agree with with PiP. Any news on UFO:Enemy unknown?
adambiser: Are there any plans of allowing the catalog to be filtered by these new price points while this experiment is happening?
G-Doc: No. As long as it's just an experiment we don't plan to add that functionality. If we decide to keep the new price points permanently, filtering will be added.
OK. Thanks.