It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

- The supreme art of war is to subdue the enemy without fighting - wrote Sun Tzu over 2,5 thousand years ago. If only he could play some of the modern strategy games...

As for us, let’s take a shot at some of the games present on GOG.COM’s Midweek Sale with war titles up to 90% off. Here are some notable deals:

Ancestors Legacy - Complete Edition (-66%) is an RTS in which you take command of an army storming through medieval Europe in an extensive series of campaigns.

Expeditions: Conquistador (-75%) is a tactical roleplaying game set in the time of New World’s discovery. In it you can became a peacemaker or a ruthless warlord.

Hearts of Iron III (-70%) is a real-time strategy game that enables you to change the course of WW2 on a global scale.

This Midweek Sale on GOG.COM ends on 15th February, 2 PM UTC.
RWarehall: GoG Sales 2020 Google Doc:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10KmoNbiAYJJxUIrjfCD0yc08L0UwTxzPuqbTpWeZCXM/edit?usp=sharing
CervelloYM: There are two Hearts of Iron III.
And missing Close Combat: Modern Tactics, but it isn't discounted at the moment.
Fixed. Missed deleting one of the Hearts of Iron III when I cut and paste the whole section. I debated about including Close Combat: Modern Tactics (included it briefly) but then thought better of it. Ironically, I removed it because of potential duplicate entries if it gets a discount late and I forget it was listed originally without a discount.
RWarehall: snip
Forever thankful for your work.
tfishell: - Gearbox; gib Duke games back + DNF
I'm at a complete loss what's the hold up with these. I fully expected them to be back by the end of last year at the latest, I even thought gog might have put the release on hold, so they could make a triumphant return during last year's Winter Sale.
kai2: IMHO MOH Pacific Assault is a mediocre effort. It's not bad -- and I enjoy the Pacific Theatre setting very much -- but MOH AA is a much more well-crafted and designed experience. Pacific Assault is a fine diversion for the price (I'd certainly purchase it on sale), but IMO doesn't reach the heights of AA. If you're a WWII FPS gamer, I'd certainly buy it. If you're just looking for "great" FPS games, I'd probably pass.

If you're looking for a strong WWII FPS with squad command elements, I would first suggest the Brothers in Arms games. IMO those are exceptional (especially modded).
IronArcturus: Thanks for the info!

So now I have to ask, which is the best Brothers in Arms game?
Well, I enjoyed Hell's Highway the most. It's the most recent in the series (and I've replayed it 3 times), but... all are good games... and there is a continuing storyline that might not resonate as well with you if you only play the most recent in the series... although, TBH the story is a bit overwrought and clumsily told.

If you get the earlier games, I would take a moment to look online at the mods available. Mods have fixed many issues players had and can create a much more nail-biting experience.

Just an FYI if you're an FPS player....

i think you should be aware that the BiA series isn't a "straight" shooter. It's shooting mechanics are based on weapon, distance, and stance percentages... it's a math shooter. So, unlike a "pure" shooter where your bullet will connect with what's targeted, your rounds in BiA will tend to spread into a wider or tighter grouping based on the elements I listed. Thus, a headshot -- or a singular round -- might not always connect... especially at range.

A few videos you may want to watch:

1) a retro-review of the first 2 BiA games that gives you an ok overview of what the games are (although the story isn't nearly as good as this review claims):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En05txpVRGA

2) A ggmanliuves review of Road to Hill 30:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFpMVfNDIOI

3) IGN review of Hell's Highway (although I don't agree with his final "score."):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBfQ9zvNBQ4

Hope this helps!
Post edited February 12, 2020 by kai2
kai2: Well, I enjoyed Hell's Highway the most. It's the most recent in the series (and I've replayed it 3 times), but... all are good games... and there is a continuing storyline that might not resonate as well with you if you only play the most recent in the series... although, TBH the story is a bit overwrought and clumsily told.

If you get the earlier games, I would take a moment to look online at the mods available. Mods have fixed many issues players had and can create a much more nail-biting experience.

i think you should be aware that the BiA series isn't a "straight" shooter. It's shooting mechanics are based on weapon, distance, and stance percentages... it's a math shooter. So, unlike a "pure" shooter where your bullet will connect with what's targeted, your rounds in BiA will tend to spread into a wider or tighter grouping based on the elements I listed. Thus, a headshot -- or a singular round -- might not always connect... especially at range.
So the game uses dice rolls for attacks? Like D&D?
tfishell: - Gearbox; gib Duke games back + DNF
fronzelneekburm: I'm at a complete loss what's the hold up with these. I fully expected them to be back by the end of last year at the latest, I even thought gog might have put the release on hold, so they could make a triumphant return during last year's Winter Sale.
Maybe Gearbox is scared of DRM-free despite Homeworld being here, or Duke Nukem is chump change compared to Borderlands 3 and other stuff they're working on. I don't know if 2K could be a hold-up in some way since they've been pretty good to us (or if they have any control over DN other than DNF), especially if the XCOM 2 trailer GOG uploaded then privated means that game is coming.
kai2: Well, I enjoyed Hell's Highway the most. It's the most recent in the series (and I've replayed it 3 times), but... all are good games... and there is a continuing storyline that might not resonate as well with you if you only play the most recent in the series... although, TBH the story is a bit overwrought and clumsily told.

IronArcturus: So the game uses dice rolls for attacks? Like D&D?
You could say that.

Have you ever played Heroes & Generals? It uses a similar formula. Every weapon has a set bullet spread that is modified by stopping, going prone, aiming down sights, etc.

It's not difficult to get a good shot but you will definitely notice that it's different than many other FPS. The reason BiA incorporates a system like this is so you're encouraged to command your squad instead of simply running a one-man show.
Bring the Vietcong serie here !
Whats Ancestors like?. Reviews seem to be divided over the game....
IMHO this was one of the best sales in awhile (I know... I love military games... what a shock, right?). I hope there are more military / war games in future sales... and more added to GOG!

I'd love to see Blitzkrieg Anthology, Atlantic Fleet, Strategic Mind Pacific, and others on sale... and... I know this is jerky... but I'd love to see a bit steeper sales on the Close Combat series. Maybe Spring Sale, right?

But...

I do thank you for a sale on military games! It's appreciated.

MaxFulvus: Bring the Vietcong serie here !
+1
Niggles: Whats Ancestors like?. Reviews seem to be divided over the game....
It's fun... although IMHO not incredibly deep. Many dislike that encampments / villages can only be built in a predetermined configuration.
Post edited February 15, 2020 by kai2