It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Get ready to test your skills in games every move counts. The latest Midweek Sale on GOG.COM is dedicated to games featuring permadeath mechanics. Play titles like Battle Brothers (-10%), EVERSPACE™ (-85%), and StarCrawlers (-75%) before the sale ends on 13th November 2021, 2 PM UTC.

Share our love for games? Subscribe to our newsletter for news, releases, and exclusive discounts. Visit the “Privacy & settings” section of your GOG account to join now!
low rated
Hmm . I would say this is a pretty weak midweek offer .
DD & Ji Ji: Hmm . I would say this is a pretty weak midweek offer .
I guess you could say it's... permadead on arrival.
high rated
• $3.59 • -80% • Monstrum
• $3.74 • -75% • Convoy
• $3.74 • -75% • Depth of Extinction
• $3.74 • -75% • NEO Scavenger
• $4.49 • -85% • EVERSPACE
• $4.99 • -75% • Invisible Inc.
• $4.99 • -75% • StarCrawlers
• $9.97 • -50% • Immortal Redneck
• $9.99 • -50% • Attack of the Earthlings
• $9.99 • -50% • Massive Chalice
• $9.99 • -50% • Renowned Explorers: International Society
• $9.99 • -50% • Songbringer
• $14.99 • -50% • Battle Brothers
• $14.99 • -40% • Nowhere Prophet
• $14.99 • -50% • Renowned Explorers: Definitive Edition
• $19.99 • -20% • Jupiter Hell
Post edited November 11, 2021 by frosty_shake
frosty_shake: ...
Thanks! :)
I'm glad to know that (permadeath) up front... saves me from having to look at ANY of these games!
ciemnogrodzianin: Thanks! :)
A welcome impostor (jk) hehe
tritone: I'm glad to know that (permadeath) up front... saves me from having to look at ANY of these games!
Quite the opposite for me. Now I have more interest!
DD & Ji Ji: Hmm . I would say this is a pretty weak midweek offer .
Breja: I guess you could say it's... permadead on arrival.
Hi, sorry to ask this out of the blue, but on another topic I saw you talk positive stuff on Massive Chalice.
I've been interested in this one for awhile, and since it's on sale now... The reviewers say it's very mediocre though.
Could you explain in a few words what did you like about this game? Is it worth a buy on sale?

Of course, I welcome anyone's opinion. Just looking for feedback in general.
tritone: I'm glad to know that (permadeath) up front... saves me from having to look at ANY of these games!
ChuckBeaver: Quite the opposite for me. Now I have more interest!
Same feelings here.
And let's be frank... a lot of these titles have only optional permadeath or even an easy setting if someone wants that (like Depth of Extinction).
Others... well, let's just say I would't consider Monstrum to be a permadeath game, strictly speaking.
Sure it does not let you save, but this game is designed to be played in short (1-2 h) sessions, which you either lose or win. A save system would demolish this game.
Post edited November 11, 2021 by pazZzurro
While I personally love the genre, we are in agreement that those should be easier to spot. Out of those games, only four of them are genre-tagged as Roguelike.

Anyhow...

Depth of Extinction and Jupiter Hell is good roguelike. Recommended!

Nowhere Prophet looks pretty good, I wasn't even aware of this one.

Attack of the Earthlings sounds like a good time ... only, nothing seem to suggest that it has permadeath. On the contrary, critics lament the lack of procedural generation and replay value.
pazZzurro: And let's be frank... a lot of these titles have only optional permadeath or even an easy setting if someone wants that (like Depth of Extinction).
As long as they're designed for permadeath from the ground up, I don't really mind if the dev has added a non-permadeath mode to reach a wider audience.
Breja: I guess you could say it's... permadead on arrival.
pazZzurro: Hi, sorry to ask this out of the blue, but on another topic I saw you talk positive stuff on Massive Chalice.
I've been interested in this one for awhile, and since it's on sale now... The reviewers say it's very mediocre though.
Could you explain in a few words what did you like about this game? Is it worth a buy on sale?
I guess everyone has those game that are generally considered mediocre or even bad but for whatever reason you like them a lot.

Massive Chalice is one of those games that really hit the spot for me. I love the idea of "legacy heroes" - creating new classes in a younger generation by combining your current heroes into marriages, and balancing the trade off of using older, more experienced heroes and having to give the young ones opportunity to get that experience.

And since, as I mentioned in another thread, I dislike overly complicated and involved strategies I really like the simplicity of "kingdom menagement" in this game, basically entirely based around assiging your heroes to various non-combat posts. There's still important decisions to be made (a better hero will do a better work there, grant higher bonuses, but you'll lose him as a soldier), but it's as easy to learn and quick to play as possible.

And the combat is fun, if you like such tactical turn based stuff. And unlike many "X-Com likes" I never got frustrated by RNG fucking me over, missing point blank shots while getting one-shot killed by an invisible enemy from the other end of the board. Of course to some hard-core "git gud" gamers that might be a bad thing.

Overall it really depends on what you're looking for. If an easier, fantasy themed version of X-Com with a fun legacy mechanic sounds fun to you, it's probably worth a buy, If you want a complex, tough-as-nails strategy or a story-heavy fantasy epic, it's probably not for you.
Breja: And the combat is fun, if you like such tactical turn based stuff. And unlike many "X-Com likes" I never got frustrated by RNG fucking me over, missing point blank shots while getting one-shot killed by an invisible enemy from the other end of the board. Of course to some hard-core "git gud" gamers that might be a bad thing.
There is no "gitting gud" when all you can do is play the odds. You can just maximize the chances but that doesn't prevent the RNG from eventually fucking you anyway. It's still going to happen, but just in 5/100 cases instead of 15.

Otherwise, thanks for the info about the game. I was thinking about buying it 3 years ago when it was 90% off, but foolishly didn't go for it. And now I'm still waiting for the game to even get close to that point. Really should have gotten it back then :/

And I found out that Simon Templeman is one of the narrators like a day after the 90% discount ended....
Breja: I guess everyone has those game that are generally considered mediocre or even bad but for whatever reason you like them a lot.

Massive Chalice is one of those games that really hit the spot for me. I love the idea of "legacy heroes" - creating new classes in a younger generation by combining your current heroes into marriages, and balancing the trade off of using older, more experienced heroes and having to give the young ones opportunity to get that experience.

Thanks for the info post, it's on my radar now.
I don't see much genetic line stuff in games, which sounds interesting.
I guess Rogue Legacy? But that game didn't click for me.

I'll check out some LPs.
Breja: Overall it really depends on what you're looking for. If an easier, fantasy themed version of X-Com with a fun legacy mechanic sounds fun to you, it's probably worth a buy, If you want a complex, tough-as-nails strategy or a story-heavy fantasy epic, it's probably not for you.
Thanks very much for sharing you thoughts. I think I will indeed buy it. Generally I like all manners of turn-based tactical/strategy games, unless they are really, really dull or more complex than their worth. I don't really enter these kind of games expecting a kick-ass story, I'm much more interested in the mechanics and expect to make my own story out of them. Besides I do agree that, while I absolutely love the X-Com genre, there is not enough variety when it comes to fantasy titles in this regard.

Breja: And the combat is fun, if you like such tactical turn based stuff. And unlike many "X-Com likes" I never got frustrated by RNG fucking me over, missing point blank shots while getting one-shot killed by an invisible enemy from the other end of the board. Of course to some hard-core "git gud" gamers that might be a bad thing.
idbeholdME: There is no "gitting gud" when all you can do is play the odds. You can just maximize the chances but that doesn't prevent the RNG from eventually fucking you anyway. It's still going to happen, but just in 5/100 cases instead of 15.

Otherwise, thanks for the info about the game. I was thinking about buying it 3 years ago when it was 90% off, but foolishly didn't go for it. And now I'm still waiting for the game to even get close to that point. Really should have gotten it back then :/

And I found out that Simon Templeman is one of the narrators like a day after the 90% discount ended....
I happen to agree. While I still like XCom:EU, the RNG in that game is absolute bs. The computer is clearly cheating you throught the game - just tell me I have 20% chance of hitting an enemy, that way I might try a different tactic. Don't tease me with 90% chance and then never allow me to hit the enemy.
You also can't really "git gud", because the game is not entirely fair with you, and the mistakes are mostly not your own. You can't forsee if you will hit the enemy in those kind of games. You keep getting false information in almost every mission - and can't really do anything about it. Nothing like that happened in any of the classic X-Com games.
Also in XCom:EU you will never actually "git gud" enough - the first thing to learn is that you have to accept your loses, as you simply can't excel in every field and keep everyone alive or happy (i.e. some countries will always stop funding you and leave the coalition).

And woah... good ol' Kain is there in Massive Chalice? I guess you can call that the icing on the cake?
A 90% discount sound great, but at 50% I still find the price acceptable, so I guess I'll chance it.
Post edited November 11, 2021 by pazZzurro