It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

NuffCatnip: Could someone give me some names of bands that are pretty heavy, but have clear vocals ?
Something like Disturbed would be nice.
Ooof, I don't like disturbd at all, so you might not like my suggestions, but,

Dream Theater has some relatively heavy stuff with an amazing vocalist (who took me a LONG time to grow into liking, so you might not like him either, as I find he puts people off usually until they get accustomed to him.) Some of their even more heavy songs are from the "Train of Thought" album, so I'd recommend starting there, but once you know that album they don't really have anything "heavier" in their catalogue and it just becomes more progressive metal with less heavy-edges (though still definitely heavy-ness to be found throughout their catalogue.)

Iced Earth is some of my favorite metal and they also sing their lyrics.

I'll recommend these songs for you given you like disturbd:

Last December
Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
My Own Savior
Prophecy
Wolf (the entire Horror Show album is TOPS, imo)
I Walk Alone
When Stars Collide
Come What May
Anthem

That's just a peck of the surface, and not necessarily absolute favorites of mine, but a good starting point, imo.
Post edited November 24, 2015 by drealmer7
NuffCatnip: Could someone give me some names of bands that are pretty heavy, but have clear vocals ?
Something like Disturbed would be nice.
drealmer7: Ooof, I don't like disturbd at all, so you might not like my suggestions, but,

Dream Theater has some relatively heavy stuff with an amazing vocalist (who took me a LONG time to grow into liking, so you might not like him either, as I find he puts people off usually until they get accustomed to him.) Some of their even more heavy songs are from the "Train of Thought" album, so I'd recommend starting there, but once you know that album they don't really have anything "heavier" in their catalogue and it just becomes more progressive metal with less heavy-edges (though still definitely heavy-ness to be found throughout their catalogue.)

Iced Earth is some of my favorite metal and they also sing their lyrics.

I'll recommend these songs for you given you like disturbd:

Last December
Melancholy (Holy Martyr)
My Own Savior
Prophecy
Wolf (the entire Horror Show album is TOPS, imo)
I Walk Alone
When Stars Collide
Come What May
Anthem

That's just a peck of the surface, and not necessarily absolute favorites of mine, but a good starting point, imo.
I see what you mean, but its not the first time I had to get accustomed to someones voice. ^^
Iced Earth isnt a new name, its a favourite band of one of my friends and he mentioned them pretty often, I never really listened to their songs though, but Ill give it a shot.
Thanks for the suggestions. ;)
Currently spinning:
Molested - blod-draum
Riverside - The Same River
does this count :D
The Viking Song - Imperia
Metallica ... on a Kazoo
Aaeris - Distant
OBSCURA - Akroasis
neurasthenya: If anyone is into Doom/Folk with ambient/atmospheric flavour check out the new Kauan record Sorni Nai.

https://blood-music.bandcamp.com/album/sorni-nai (it is available for free if you are short on monies)

Highly recommend their previous stuff aswell.
Very nice, thanks. I've just sent them 5€. DRM-free FLAC albums need more support!
If there'd be a band like this in my town, I'd try to get in there with my hurdy-gurdy skills and folk it up a bit.

yogsloth: Just found two Pain of Salvation CDs used for $3 each; gave 'em a try.

I listened to "Scarsick" so far. Hmmmm. Disco rap prog metal?

Haven't tried "BE" yet.
Scarsick isn't representative for the band since Daniel Gildenlöw uses several styles in general (depending on the message/content of the song) and this album is my least favourite, actually the only one I don't really like while I love all other albums from the band.

"Be" is very special since it is a concept album about the theory that God is the sum of all consciousness.
Tracks like "Imago", "Iter Impius" and "Martius Nauticus II" always give me goosebumbs.

My favourite album of the others is "Remedy Lane".

PoS is extremely deep stuff and will always be one of my favourite bands although I'm mostly listening to folk music by now.
Post edited December 01, 2015 by Klumpen0815
Ayreon - My House on Mars
Post edited December 01, 2015 by PainOfSalvation
Farewell The Mire (everything available for free)

Such a good band coming to an end, and this last album mixing black metal in their sound, gawd so good.

:(
gameon: As promised to Licurg, i thought a metal thread would go down well.

I recommend this for starters: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OgH3B49_E4
macuahuitlgog: I like Static X but it is not metal. This is metal. :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtPDm2kaj1c
wooow children of bodom! many years since the last time that I listen some of them.

Any other big fan of dream theater and the mars volta? ok TMV is more like progressive rock but I just wanted to recommend them. The group was disolved in 2013
Amon Amarth - Death in Fire

Headbanging time boys and girls! \m/
Death - Leprosy

"Leprosy will take control and bring you to your death
No chance of a normal life to live just like the rest
Leprosy will spread with time, your body soon to change
Appearance becomes hideous a sight too much to take"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFO-jEenE7A

Protector - A Shedding of Skin album