It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

high rated
WARNING: MaGog was unable to identify the following "whishlisted" games:
high rated
bernstein82: WARNING: MaGog was unable to identify the following "whishlisted" games:
Thanks.
high rated
Just wanted to report that I've been working these past few days on a new tool (codename: "Demagogue").

The idea was to build a tool that would allow us to search the forum in ways that are currently missing, for example search for forum posts based on user name and date range.

I began by writing the code that harvests the information and did a preliminary test run earlier today.

Unfortunately after scanning about 250 not-too-large threads (a drop in the ocean compared to the estimated 60,000+ threads I was planning to scan to build the database), GOG blocked MaGog's/Demagogue's IP and both currently cannot access the forum anymore. I asked Firek to unblock it, as he kindly does whenever I exceed my limits.

Anyhow, with such severe limits, I really cannot see how to even begin collecting the necessary data, so I am wrapping up this endeavour. Sorry.

Still, was worth the effort.

P.S. Yes. The weird posts I made in the "test" thread are related to this.
Post edited February 22, 2016 by mrkgnao
high rated
mrkgnao: Just wanted to report that I've been working these past few days on a new tool (codename: "Demagogue").

The idea was to build a tool that would allow us to search the forum in ways that are currently missing, for example search for forum posts based on user name and date range.

I began by writing the code that harvests the information and did a preliminary test run earlier today.

Unfortunately after scanning about 250 not-too-large threads (a drop in the ocean compared to the estimated 60,000+ threads I was planning to scan to build the database), GOG blocked MaGog's/Demagogue's IP and both currently cannot access the forum anymore. I asked Firek to unblock it, as he kindly does whenever I exceed my limits.

Anyhow, with such severe limits, I really cannot see how to even begin collecting the necessary data, so I am wrapping up this endeavour. Sorry.

That is too bad :-(
I was still hoping that gog would be able to whitelist you since the things you do are such an improvement for the community. But seems like they are unable to do so.
Thanks for all the great work!
high rated
mrkgnao: Just wanted to report that I've been working these past few days on a new tool (codename: "Demagogue").

moonshineshadow: That is too bad :-(
I was still hoping that gog would be able to whitelist you since the things you do are such an improvement for the community. But seems like they are unable to do so.
Yes. I was thinking that such a tool could have been useful for you for the community giveaway, for it is often not easy to determine how active someone is, and the only other alternative I know of (google with site:gog.com) is woefully inadequate as it is very partial -- e.g. if I google "mrkgnao site:gog.com" in "last month" I get 13 threads, whereas I actually posted in more than 40 threads.
moonshineshadow: That is too bad :-(
mrkgnao: Yes. I was thinking that such a tool could have been useful for you for the community giveaway, for it is often not easy to determine how active someone is, and the only other alternative I know of (google with site:gog.com) is woefully inadequate as it is very partial -- e.g. if I google "mrkgnao site:gog.com" in "last month" I get 13 threads, whereas I actually posted in more than 40 threads.
Yep, it is really not that easy to find out about people posting here. I mean most of the time I don't mind how the gog forum works, but I still can't see why no one thought to implement such a basic feature when it was set up...
Ah well.. the mysteries of gog.
high rated
moonshineshadow: I was still hoping that gog would be able to whitelist you since the things you do are such an improvement for the community. But seems like they are unable to do so.
More like unwilling. See no reason why they'd be unable. Probably being stopped whenever limits are exceeded and needing to ask to be unblocked keeps MaGOG sufficiently in check :/

Makes your work even more awesome under these circumstances, mrkgnao.
high rated
mrkgnao: snip
I've never got as far as running any tests, but my experience with the AF forum search told me about the same. It might be possible to (very) slowly index the forum bit by bit over a period of time to avoid being locked out, and then hope that the more recent changes you would need to track wouldn't lock you out (though if you're running off the same connection/server as MaGoG that might be a problem) but it would still be fallible and a lot of work which may not even end up being much use..
mrkgnao: Anyhow, with such severe limits, I really cannot see how to even begin collecting the necessary data, so I am wrapping up this endeavour. Sorry.
:-(

That would be too useful.

https://www.gog.com/wishlist/site/whitelist_entry_for_mrkgnaos_projects_magog_and_demagogue
high rated

[...]

P.S. Yes. The weird posts I made in the "test" thread are related to this.
I see absolutely no need for you to apologise, since the obstacle lies at GOG's end.
A shame really, this would have given us functionality that is pretty basic on any forum.
Thank you much for trying.

*sad panda*

Voted, but I don't really expect/hope GOG to grant it.
HypersomniacLive: Voted, but I don't really expect/hope GOG to grant it.
If we had like 25,738 votes (Diablo currently)...
high rated
toxicTom: If we had like 25,738 votes (Diablo currently)...
Diablo isn't here. ;-)
HypersomniacLive: Diablo isn't here. ;-)
Nor will it be, Blizzard and all. Curse of Monkey Island is a bit odder, I guess.

But hey, "Warning when a game is about to be removed from the system", 22546, and that's still not happening all the time (not counting extremely short notice posts in the games' own forums as notification).
high rated
Cavalary: Nor will it be,[...]
I rest my case. ;-)
HypersomniacLive: Diablo isn't here. ;-)
I won't be there ever.

This has been pointed out in the wishlist itself many times, but crying for it endlessly won't do it.