It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

There are some things that just go well together. Peanut butter and jelly, Tom and Jerry, bacon and egg, and video games and Dungeons & Dragons. While both video games and tabletop Dungeons & Dragons are amazing on their own, the two work perfectly together.

The Baldur’s Gate series is one such example. The first one was a masterpiece and then, somehow, Baldur’s Gate II managed to be even better. With the second title in the series celebrating its 20th anniversary and Baldur's Gate 3 releasing as Game In Development in just a couple of days, we thought it was the perfect time to look back at this timeless classic.

We’ll look back at the story, the gameplay, and how these things came together to make a video game that is as good today as it was 20 years ago.

The story of Baldur’s Gate II
If you like grand adventures, then this game is for you. Set in the medieval Forgotten Realms of Dungeons & Dragons fame, Baldur’s Gate II continues the story of the first game. You find yourself locked in a cage and, with the help of some new friends, you are eventually set free.

Both your savior and torturer are eventually arrested for the unauthorized use of magic and that’s where the game really begins. You’ll have to use all of your wits to get to the island where both people are held, and you’ll be presented with plenty of options on how to complete your task.

Those choices have consequences, and outcomes will change depending on what you choose. Will you choose to be more confrontational or will you try to talk your way out of altercations? Sometimes friendly conversations eventually end in fighting if you say the wrong things, so choose wisely!

You’ll meet plenty of unique characters along your journey and if you are worried about this being a short game, have no fear. If you spend time in the world and complete most of the sidequests, you’re looking at a 200-hour gaming experience!

The gameplay of Baldur’s Gate II
While a solid story can solidify a game’s experience, having tight, exciting gameplay can simply take it to the next level and Baldur’s Gate II delivers.

When you’re not making choices with NPCs, you’ll be leading a team of up to six adventures through epic fights. The game is presented in isometric view so you always have a bird’s eye view of the battle, and this will come in handy.

That’s because, while the game is played in real-time, you can pause the action at your leisure to hopefully set up some strategic attacks. For each player in your party, you can assign different actions and movements, letting you execute flawless flanks and absolute domination.

Because this is set in the D&D world, you also get access to a bunch of unique classes to explore and master. These include fighter, ranger, paladin, thief, bard, mage, cleric, druid, barbarian, monk, or sorcerer. Personally, I’m a fan of the paladin class, but every player is unique, much like the classes.

The making of Baldur’s Gate II
Developed by Bioware and published by Black Isle Studios, would you believe that the team only started production on the game in January 1999? That means this epic title was completed in approximately a year and a half, as it was released on September 21, 2000!

Part of what made this possible was reusing the same engine from the first game, which helped cut down on time. But don’t let that fool you, the engine still received plenty of improvements to go along with the sequel to the hit isometric RPG.

One of the goals of the team was to improve on as many elements of the original as possible, and they succeeded. Each department had a list of goals and improvements and most of them made it to the final game.

The end result was a smashing success, both in terms of sales and accolades. It received many RPG Game of the Year awards and more recently, various outlets and reviewers have listed it among the best RPGs of all time.

Enhanced Edition
Since the game’s original release, Baldur’s Gate II has seen two awesome expansions, Throne of Bhaal and The Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay, which extends the world of Baldur’s Gate II even further. And we can’t forget to mention Baldur’s Gate II: Enhanced Edition, which not only includes both of those expansions but also adds new companions, improved area artwork, interface updates, widescreen compatibility, and more. On GOG.COM it comes together with the classic version of the game packed as a bonus goodie.

What are some of your favorite memories from Baldur’s Gate II? Do you plan on revisiting it (or diving in for the first time)? Let us know down in the comments!
Happy Birthday Lovely ! <3 ^ :D
high rated
I remember it be a wonderful engrossing complete adventure. Then along cake a greedy corporation to sing their greedy little paws into it. Slapping a widescreen mod on and calling it enhanced. Then adding balance ruining features, new bugs, a controversial unnecessary political module wedged in between halves of the game.

So yes, it’s a look back at a game tainted by beamdog who take cherished position on my wouldn’t support if the world hung on it.

Edit: to be fair, they have done one thing. Invented a new Industry saying “pulling a beamdog” where you chuck out a “new” version of a game with a few tweaks and then wait as the cash rolls in. You can find such examples flooding all the stores, recent examples include KoA: reshaded.

It’s a real pity it was t them brought by M$ l, that wouldn’t have been a loss.
Post edited September 21, 2020 by nightcraw1er.488
Aaargh!
The general gaming public should have paid into a fund to buy it and release it for everyone instead of letting some finance group grab it instead.
Go for the eyes, Boo!
Post edited September 23, 2020 by bioshark
high rated
Back then, importing english language games into Germany was not all that easy, and could be quite expensive. I remember paying 150 Mark (75 Euro) for Wizardry 8 for example.

And i knew i wanted Baldurs Gate 2 in english.

Lucky me was on a school trip to London during the week it was released though. On the last day of the trip i had still enough money to get it. I may have missed out on a couple of tourist attractions, but those were horribly expensive anyway. The free British Museum had more than enough to see that i was not bored ;)

Back on the ferry i was already deep into the manual...
My views. Baldur's Gate II is:

- a timeless classic
- a game which was ahead of its time
- a game with an amazing plot and fantastic gameplay
- full of fantastic characters, but I really hate Minc and that stupid hamster
- a game which has the most unfair battle ever (yes, that one, the battle against Draconic)
- a game I thought it had just only one expansion - Throne of Bhaal, so I found it surprising that also had The Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay ...WHAT IS THAT?! :O
EchoOfMidgar: game I thought it had just only one expansion - Throne of Bhaal, so I found it surprising that also had The Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay ...WHAT IS THAT?! :O
Baldur's Gate 2 has only one expansion, throne of bhaal. The "enhanced" edition has one additional expansion.
Legendary game and probably the best RPG in history along with Planescape Torment. Nice to see an anniversary article here. :) I finished the game countless times. My last playthrough was in the previous year. This time I finished the Enhanced Edition. I have to admit that I'm impressed as strongly as in my first playthrough. The game has literally everything with the exception of a nice path for an evil character. The opinions on EE differ, but I think that this edition is the best and Beamdog still didn't say his final word. They're still working on 2.6 patch.
EchoOfMidgar: game I thought it had just only one expansion - Throne of Bhaal, so I found it surprising that also had The Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay ...WHAT IS THAT?! :O
Ajaarg: Baldur's Gate 2 has only one expansion, throne of bhaal. The "enhanced" edition has one additional expansion.
Is The Black Pits 2: Gladiators of Thay good?
Such memories! After countless playtroughs its probably the only game which simply never grows old to me. To be true for each and all of its aspects you will find a game which surpassed it (say Planescape storywise ;)
But for me it's still the best fusion of challenging mechanics, fantastic story and lovabe companions with just the right amount of freedome to give it endless replayablility.

Enough of the praise: if we concentrate on the game itself you should embrace the EE version for the improved modding support alone. Yes they come with some questionable choices and unwelcome additions. Luckily, half of them can be disabled in the options menu and the others be reverted by mods. The modding community is active to this date and thanks to the EEs still introduces new features which were impossible before. For me the definitve BG all in one trilogy has not been released yet! For those who played vanilla but are new to BG modding grab a convenient infinity mod manager and start with the following and I promis you will not regret it:
- Ascension (makes the final hours so much more satisfying)
- Unfinished Business 1&2 (you probably can't tell the content is not original)
- Banter Accelerator (finally hear everything your companions have to say, then get a banter pack like "Chatty Imoen" and have them say more:)
- Sword Coast Stratagems (only if you enjoy the AI putting up a real challenge! You will have to dig into the magic system or mages will be your bane)
- UI improvments by lefreut (no I can't bear the EE UI, sorry)
high rated
nightcraw1er.488: I remember it be a wonderful engrossing complete adventure. Then along cake a greedy corporation to sing their greedy little paws into it. Slapping a widescreen mod on and calling it enhanced. Then adding balance ruining features, new bugs, a controversial unnecessary political module wedged in between halves of the game.

So yes, it’s a look back at a game tainted by beamdog who take cherished position on my wouldn’t support if the world hung on it.

Edit: to be fair, they have done one thing. Invented a new Industry saying “pulling a beamdog” where you chuck out a “new” version of a game with a few tweaks and then wait as the cash rolls in. You can find such examples flooding all the stores, recent examples include KoA: reshaded.

They did much more than add a widescreen mod. They fixed bugs and changed how things worked under the hood as well as smoothing the graphics to be more appealing on larger displays. But keep your hatred for them making the games more accessible rolling.

KoA also got more than a makeover as the way leveling of areas and loot calculations were changed dramatically to improve on the overall experience. Just because you don't appreciate the work that was done doesn't mean nothing was done. You choose not to buy the games, and that's great. However there are more drastic changes than graphics in these games. Most of those changes don't translate to screenshots.
Damn, I keep hearing so much about this series but I never actually get around to playing it.
nightcraw1er.488: I remember it be a wonderful engrossing complete adventure. Then along cake a greedy corporation to sing their greedy little paws into it. Slapping a widescreen mod on and calling it enhanced. Then adding balance ruining features, new bugs, a controversial unnecessary political module wedged in between halves of the game.

paladin181: They did much more than add a widescreen mod. They fixed bugs and changed how things worked under the hood as well as smoothing the graphics to be more appealing on larger displays. But keep your hatred for them making the games more accessible rolling.

KoA also got more than a makeover as the way leveling of areas and loot calculations were changed dramatically to improve on the overall experience. Just because you don't appreciate the work that was done doesn't mean nothing was done. You choose not to buy the games, and that's great. However there are more drastic changes than graphics in these games. Most of those changes don't translate to screenshots.
Yes Indeed, as I mentioned above they crammed in some political agendas, ruined the flow and the balance of the game with them, added a load of bugs and then went on holiday. Just the same as KoA.
But you keep defending paying through the nose for the same thing over and over, the saying is a fool and his money are soon parted.