It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

fronzelneekburm:
cmdr_flashheart: As far as I am concerned, downloading a game from GOG or Steam is pretty much the same.

edit: But oh yeah, you can download via browser from GOG.You can always uninstall Steam after downloading, so there's that.
Yeah but you need to *install* Steam , create an account then download the game. I could be very wrong, but i dont think you get an installer sitting somewhere after its downloaded and installed - your stuck with the installed directory..thats it...?.Never checked it myself.
cmdr_flashheart: As far as I am concerned, downloading a game from GOG or Steam is pretty much the same.

edit: But oh yeah, you can download via browser from GOG.You can always uninstall Steam after downloading, so there's that.
Niggles: Yeah but you need to *install* Steam , create an account then download the game. I could be very wrong, but i dont think you get an installer sitting somewhere after its downloaded and installed - your stuck with the installed directory..thats it...?.Never checked it myself.
Exactly, you have to move the folder with the uncompressed stuff, rather than having a convenient installer like with GOG. To me, that is superior service right here.

As for Transistor and other little guys, I don't care what their reason is. If they're only available on Steam at release, I'll just get the game on a GOG sale in two years or in a Humble Bundle. They're just lazy and arrogant. The game is already DRM-free, ffs.
Niggles: Yeah but you need to *install* Steam , create an account then download the game. I could be very wrong, but i dont think you get an installer sitting somewhere after its downloaded and installed - your stuck with the installed directory..thats it...?.Never checked it myself.
Yeah. The only difference with GOG for these DRM free games is basically that the downloader is mandatory. Logging in and agreeing to terms of service and making an account and stuff... all the same. It's just the client install that is mandatory. A lot of people here associate client with DRM, or at least with "don't want."

Personally I like the client functionality a lot, and wish GOG had a real one. It can still be DRM free.
StingingVelvet: Yeah. The only difference with GOG for these DRM free games is basically that the downloader is mandatory. Logging in and agreeing to terms of service and making an account and stuff... all the same. It's just the client install that is mandatory. A lot of people here associate client with DRM, or at least with "don't want."

Personally I like the client functionality a lot, and wish GOG had a real one. It can still be DRM free.
Just having the installed directory without the installer really isnt that convenient for me....

You also need to create an account on GOG, so that step is pretty much the same. The main differences being that you don't get compressed files of the game, and you can't download via browser.

Since Steam DRM-free games are not just DRM-free games, but also need to use Steam functionalities, like cards and achievements, it makes sense that they need to downloaded via the client. I still don't see a reason to complain about DRM-free Steam games because you get the best of both worlds, really (provided you have enough memory to store your uncompressed files).
cmdr_flashheart: You also need to create an account on GOG, so that step is pretty much the same. The main differences being that you don't get compressed files of the game, and you can't download via browser.

Since Steam DRM-free games are not just DRM-free games, but also need to use Steam functionalities, like cards and achievements, it makes sense that they need to downloaded via the client. I still don't see a reason to complain about DRM-free Steam games because you get the best of both worlds, really (provided you have enough memory to store your uncompressed files).
I think thats one of the reasons im put off. Games really should be standalone installers even coming from Steam and recrompressing a folder to store a game away is step that shouldn't be necessary. And yes the functionality of steam might be useful for some people but it isnt part of a game and shouldn't really be considered as such when you buy a game..- it doesn't wash with a certain % of people.Me included. Oh well.
Steam's Desktop Dungeons (windows) marked with a '?' in the wiki is DRM free.
Simply delete both .dlls
Could be of interest for people who don't know if they want to buy the actual 'humble' or wait for a steam sale.
Serena is drm free :)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/272060
cmdr_flashheart: You also need to create an account on GOG, so that step is pretty much the same. The main differences being that you don't get compressed files of the game, and you can't download via browser.

Niggles: I think thats one of the reasons im put off. Games really should be standalone installers even coming from Steam and recrompressing a folder to store a game away is step that shouldn't be necessary. And yes the functionality of steam might be useful for some people but it isnt part of a game and shouldn't really be considered as such when you buy a game..- it doesn't wash with a certain % of people.Me included. Oh well.
If you want Steam does the compression for you with its backup feature.
Niggles: I think thats one of the reasons im put off. Games really should be standalone installers even coming from Steam and recrompressing a folder to store a game away is step that shouldn't be necessary. And yes the functionality of steam might be useful for some people but it isnt part of a game and shouldn't really be considered as such when you buy a game..- it doesn't wash with a certain % of people.Me included. Oh well.
Kristian: If you want Steam does the compression for you with its backup feature.
Pass.
Kristian: If you want Steam does the compression for you with its backup feature.
Niggles: Pass.
then just zip the game folder. It is more or less what an installer does anyway.
99 Spirits and Tsukumogami are DRM-free.

I tested Vanguard Princess again, but I couldn't get it work without Steam, so I'm removing it from the list for now. It could be that I had to install some dependencies, but there were no packages in the game folder. If anyone can get it running, that would be cool.

@cmdr_flashheart: I noticed that some games like 99 Spirits and War of the Human Tanks only work when the steam_api.dll is present in the game directory. When you delete it, the game gives you an error and is unplayable. It also doesn't matter if it's on the same PC or on a new machine which never saw Steam in it's life. So you maybe should paraphrase that steam_api.dll thingie.

Dolantin: Steam's Desktop Dungeons (windows) marked with a '?' in the wiki is DRM free.
Simply delete both .dlls
Could be of interest for people who don't know if they want to buy the actual 'humble' or wait for a steam sale.
The '?' in the wiki is a place holder because someone said somewhere that the game is DRM-free, but never mentioned for which platform. I assume you are using Windows, like the majority of people, but that doesn't qualify for an exact entry.

edit: grammar & duplicate
Post edited May 24, 2014 by Kick-aha
Hopefully if GOG releases a client it still downloads installers, so you guys can be happy.
Kick-aha: 99 Spirits and Tsukumogami are DRM-free.

I tested Vanguard Princess again, but I couldn't get it work without Steam, so I'm removing it from the list for now. It could be that I had to install some dependencies, but there were no packages in the game folder. If anyone can get it running, that would be cool.

@cmdr_flashheart: I noticed that some games like 99 Spirits and War of the Human Tanks only work when the steam_api.dll is present in the game directory. When you delete it, the game gives you an error and is unplayable. It also doesn't matter if it's on the same PC or on a new machine which never saw Steam in it's life. So you maybe should paraphrase that steam_api.dll thingie.

Dolantin: Steam's Desktop Dungeons (windows) marked with a '?' in the wiki is DRM free.
Simply delete both .dlls
Kick-aha: The '?' in the wiki is a place holder because someone said somewhere that the game is DRM-free, but never mentioned for which platform. I assume you are using Windows, like the majority of people, but that doesn't qualify for an exact entry.

edit: grammar & duplicate
Thus I am the second one to confirm this.
Dolantin:
Okay, so I'm asking directly: On which OS did you test Desktop Dungeons, so we can update the entry? A simple "it's running" isn't worth much, since the DRM-freeness can differ from OS to OS.
Post edited May 24, 2014 by Kick-aha