It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

pedrovay2003: Also, anyone who had Starbound on Steam, can you check the DRM status of that? I've heard it doesn't require the client.
RayRay13000: I can confirm that you don't need Steam to run the Starbound Launcher and the game executables (regular and OpenGL). They're located in the win32 folder in the Starbound folder.
Any other forms of DRM present? And I assume, you are referring to the windows version, right?
Ravenswords: Shadowlands seems to be DRM-free.
pedrovay2003: Also, anyone who had Starbound on Steam, can you check the DRM status of that? I've heard it doesn't require the client.
RayRay13000: I can confirm that you don't need Steam to run the Starbound Launcher and the game executables (regular and OpenGL). They're located in the win32 folder in the Starbound folder.
Excellent, thank you for checking that. I didn't want to put anything in the wiki until I got absolute confirmation.
Kick-aha: Any other forms of DRM present? And I assume, you are referring to the windows version, right?
Not that I've seen. I started both the Launcher and Starbound game inside and outside of the Steam folder (copied all the game files to somewhere else and tried them online and offline). You can also start the server executable in the same folder (which from what I saw doesn't require Steam). Also yes, I'm referring to the Windows version of the game.
RayRay13000: Not that I've seen. I started both the Launcher and Starbound game inside and outside of the Steam folder (copied all the game files to somewhere else and tried them online and offline). You can also start the server executable in the same folder (which from what I saw doesn't require Steam). Also yes, I'm referring to the Windows version of the game.
Okay, that should be good. Thank you.

cmdr_flashheart: Ravenswords: Shadowlands seems to be DRM-free.
Have you tested it by yourself? And if so, on which platform?
Post edited January 17, 2014 by Kick-aha
I have successfully launched Scribblenauts Unlimited without steam running both connected to Internet and not connected.
I've created a script for Two Worlds to avoid any further headaches with my previous long and slightly complicated guide. Since the upload limit is 2mb here, I had to upload it somewhere else. The script has been compiled using Inno Setup, a free and very popular software.

Please Note that this will not bypass the online activation and serial key check.

You can find the script here: http://www.4shared.com/file/B08Bm7rYce/two_worlds_unofficial_patch_se.html

As promised here's the source: http://www.4shared.com/archive/XtUzvxH0ba/two_worlds_unofficial_patch_so.html

MD5 Hashes:

two_worlds_unofficial_patch_setup.exe : F772E4B859D864A9E73419668053D737
two_worlds_unofficial_patch_source.7z : AF29EC6DE3DD593EFBC2287D6EE2161B

What this unofficial patch / script does:

1. Replaces the Steam-protected executables with the ones found in the latest official patch provided by Reality Pump themselves.

2. Removes any previous registry entries related to the game and creates new ones to avoid possible conflicts.

Everything has been tested thoroughly on both 32bit and 64bit systems.

Enjoy :-)
Post edited January 18, 2014 by Ganni1987
I looked and looked but apparently everyone avoided tackling this question directly: does this mean these games can be downloaded and played without the Steam client? Also, do these games need to connect the internet upon installation for validation the first time?

So far I've gathered these games all have the basic Steam DRM treatment: you need a client app to download and install, upon installation they "call home" for validation over the internet. Some additionally need to be ran once before they become portable. That might happen only once, but that's irrelevant as to what constitutes DRM.

Also, apparently the game files become "DRM-freed" (more like portable) after installation/validation/first run, but copying to other computers must hurt the end-user license agreement.
RafaelLopez: ...
Please, please, for the love of god, don't do this. Yes, it's been already brought up in this thread, several times. I'm not entirely sure what are you people trying to prove, aside from derailing a thread that's helpful to a good number of people, including me, and make it much harder to follow.
and [url=http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/post147]here. It took me just a couple of minutes of searching of the first two pages (50 posts per page). There's actually more.
Post edited January 21, 2014 by Fenixp
Fenixp: Please, please, for the love of god, don't do this. Yes, it's been already brought up in this thread, several times. I'm not entirely sure what are you people trying to prove, aside from derailing a thread that's helpful to a good number of people, including me, and make it much harder to follow.
and [url=http://www.gog.com/forum/general/list_of_drmfree_games_on_steam/post147]here. It took me just a couple of minutes of searching of the first two pages (50 posts per page). There's actually more.
That's the problem, I'm not trying to prove anything because I don't KNOW anything, I don't have a Steam app so I don't know how it works, but I'd like to, I'm trying to be informed of the technicalities behind this list, and since everyone's talking of Steam, you should be knowledgeable and this could be the right place to find info. But no one is capable of answering questions, everyone apparently only wants to march to a flame war. You just pointed me to yet more flaming posts from people who apparently now as much as I do.

I'll try to rephrase, perhaps someone will help:

1. Is it needed to have the Steam client app installed on my computer in order to download, install or run these games at least once before taking the game folder to a different machine?
2. If not all, can you please point me to the games that don't need the Steam client at all, even for download or first installation?
3. Before becoming portable, do these games need an internet connection for validation? Understand I'm not asking if internet connection is needed to download the games (which I've seen many people are clever to point out), I want to know wether they validate ownership over the internet after downloaded, or if I can shut down all connection to the internet if I want to.

There, perhaps if someone could answer those directly instead of making excuses as to what is or isn't DRM I'd be happier and you could even paste it to the OP as a FAQ.
here you go :-P So short answer: Yes, you need Steam installed to download them
Fenixp: here you go :-P So short answer: Yes, you need Steam installed to download them
Yeah I saw that FAQ, and perhaps it tries to be informative, but I think it's focused on people who know Steam, whereas newcomers don't necessarily need to know about client apps and validation over the internet.

I'm sure the list is very useful to those interested in those games specifically over Steam.

By the way, the DOS games on this list made me sigh... id shooters and X-COM, I really wish they were here on GOG. If they can be easily copied over from Steam installations, the fact that they're not here to me is just absurd.
Post edited January 21, 2014 by RafaelLopez
jamyskis: Quick tip/suggestion: How about highlighting those games that are specifically Steam-exclusive?

By the way, Quake, Quake 2 and Quake 3 can legitimately have source engines used with them by the way to get around CEG, if that's any help.
Doesn't work on Quake. If you want to use an alternative engine with Steam version of Q1; you have to rename the EXE to something Steam itself launches.

I did this with DrectQ. Extracted it in to the steamapps folder where Quake was installed and ran it. Came up as shareware every time. Copied the PAK files to a VM; no full version. The only way to get the full version to actually work was to rename DirectQ to GLQuake and have Steam launch that. It'll work nicely that way, but that's it.
RafaelLopez: 1. Is it needed to have the Steam client app installed on my computer in order to download, install or run these games at least once before taking the game folder to a different machine?
2. If not all, can you please point me to the games that don't need the Steam client at all, even for download or first installation?
3. Before becoming portable, do these games need an internet connection for validation? Understand I'm not asking if internet connection is needed to download the games (which I've seen many people are clever to point out), I want to know wether they validate ownership over the internet after downloaded, or if I can shut down all connection to the internet if I want to.

There, perhaps if someone could answer those directly instead of making excuses as to what is or isn't DRM I'd be happier and you could even paste it to the OP as a FAQ.
So, I'll try to answer as far as I'm capable. Please note, that this list grew over time in an utilitarian way, so there may be some borderline cases with online activation, CD keys and such thingies.

1. You need to install the Steam client on your PC, there is no way of downloading game files without the Steam Client, because that's the way it is intended to be, as a local game library and management software. The "run at least your game one time" part is somewhat outdated, after downloading the game in the Steam Client, the game files are in your Steam folder and the "finalisation" only makes changes (or not) in the windows registry and installs needed libraries and dependencies like directX etc.

2. There won't be any games as you sadly can't download game files over the Steam web page.

3. If a game needs internet validation, it probable won't ever be portable. Do you mean by internet validation that you only can install the game on e.g. five computers? Such DRM is not on the list. "Always online" games neither. If games need validation to become offline capable, it is pointed out. And yes, after downloading the game (and sometimes running the game in the Steam Client once [maybe with internet]) you can play them without internet on any PC you'd like (as long as you use the game files you found stored in the Steam folder). That is probably the goal of the list but as always there may be mistakes.

About the topic "internet": Some games can be played offline on another PC without Steam, but the game only offers maybe 30% of the gameplay content without internet connection. If so, it's pointed out.

Oh, before I forget and if you don't already know, the list on page 1 is a bit old, a newer (and hopefully better) version can be found here.
Any Steam game that can launch without Steam but still needs other activation/authentication isn't DRM-free; it is, at best, Steam-free.