It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This was touched on a couple of times in this post but I didn't really see a clear answer, so I apologize for bringing this up again. The games listed here as DRM free, has anyone actually tested to see if these games can be backed up after being installed once from steam, and then moved to another PC to work?

I already keep a backup of all my Steam games downloaded and updated in case there's ever a legal work around (should Steam ever go under, as funny as that may seem to us now) to get these games to work without needing to be activated by Steam. So for me, unless they can be moved to another PC, this isn't particularly helpful in my case.

I have a fairly large Steam library (400+ games I think), so I'll try to make some time to test some of the games I own that haven't already been tested.
Post edited November 03, 2012 by Qwertyman
Thread is an awesome idea :)
Qwertyman: This was touched on a couple of times in this post but I didn't really see a clear answer, so I apologize for bringing this up again. The games listed here as DRM free, has anyone actually tested to see if these games can be backed up after being installed once from steam, and then moved to another PC to work?

I already keep a backup of all my Steam games downloaded and updated in case there's ever a legal work around (should Steam ever go under, as funny as that may seem to us now) to get these games to work without needing to be activated by Steam. So for me, unless they can be moved to another PC, this isn't particularly helpful in my case.

I have a fairly large Steam library (400+ games I think), so I'll try to make some time to test some of the games I own that haven't already been tested.
I think that's how people have been testing them. I know that with the games that I have that are DRM-free, you can just copy/paste the installed folders to a flash drive or something and even play them straight from there on a different machine.
I just tested it out with Botanicula and Majesty HD and both of them worked on another PC. Although I'm not sure Botanicula really counts as a good test example since it's a flash game. In any case, I will test out a ton of the games I have and post the results when I get a chance.
Here's what I've found so far but I still have a ton more to go through:

***All of these were tested with the folder moved and Steam uninstalled***

Games that APPEAR to work:

Crusader Kings
Elven Legacy
Galactic Civilizations 2 - Ultimate Edition
Painkiller Redemption
Space Rangers
Tales of Monkey Island - Chapter 1
The Polynomial

Games that appear to work but require GFWL:

DiRT 2

Games that appear to work but require Stardock Registration:

Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity

Games that appear to work but require CD keys to be entered (can be found in Steam library game page):

AI War - Fleet Command (full series)

Games that I couldn't get to run:

***These didn't run due to: application errors; Steam not running errors; wouldn't even execute but for a split second and the process would terminate without errors; process would run but game would never load and the process had to be force closed; and a few them would actually load into the game but crash after a few seconds***

Alien Shooter
Alien Shooter 2 - Reloaded
Arx Fatalis
Burnout Paradise the Ultimate Box
Capsized
Ceville
Critical Mass
Darkstar One
Dear Esther
Din's Curse
Disciples 2 Gold
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
Edge
Empire: Total War
Eschalon: Book 1
Eschalon: Book 2
Europa Universalis III - Complete
Fantasy Wars
Freedom Force vs the 3rd Reich
Galactic Civilizations I Ultimate Edition
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 2
Grid
Jagged Alliance 2 Gold
Jagged Alliance 2 Gold Unfinished Business
King Arthur - The Role-playing Wargame
King's Bounty - The Legend
King's Bounty Armored Princess
King's Bounty Crossworlds
Knights of Honor
Kohan Immortal Sovereigns
Kohan Ahrimans Gift
Koahn II
Medieval II Total War
Monkey Island 2
Napoleon Total War
Nexus The Jupiter Incident
Painkiller Black Edition
Painkiller Overdose
Painkiller Resurrection
Port Royale 2
Portal 2
Rainbow Six 3 Gold
Rainbow SIx Lockdown
Rainbow Six Vegas
Rainbow Six Vegas 2
Renegade Ops
Rome Total War Alexander
Rome Total War Gold
Sacred Gold
Space Empires IV Deluxe
Spellforce 2 Gold Edition
Spellforce Platinum Edition
Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell - Double Agent
Splinter Cell Chaos Theory
Star Wolves
Sword of the Stars Complete Collection
Syberia 2
Tales of Monkey Island Chapter 2 - 5
The Longest Journey
The Secret of Monkey Island Special Edition
The Void
Torchlight 2
Total War Shogun 2
Tropico
Tropico 2
X - Beyond the Frontier
X2 - The Threat
X3 - Reunion
X3 - Terran Conflict
X3 - Albean Prelude
X - Tension
Qwertyman: I just tested it out with Botanicula and Majesty HD and both of them worked on another PC. Although I'm not sure Botanicula really counts as a good test example since it's a flash game. In any case, I will test out a ton of the games I have and post the results when I get a chance.
I've tested these 2 and they work on the other PC (without steam installed) :
A Virus named Tom
Jamestown

This one needs steam to run:
Secret of the Magic Crystal
Qwertyman: snip
Thank you; I've updated both lists with your data. I've disqualified everything with extra DRM on top, including Tales of Monkey Island (Or does the first episode not use the Telltale launcher on Steam? The non-Steam copy does.)
Qwertyman: snip
bazilisek: Thank you; I've updated both lists with your data. I've disqualified everything with extra DRM on top, including Tales of Monkey Island (Or does the first episode not use the Telltale launcher on Steam? The non-Steam copy does.)
The first episode doesn't appear to have any DRM at all. I just ran it again to verify, and it seems to be running fine (without Steam installed). Maybe it's like that because they wanted Episode 1 to be like a trial or demo episode?
Qwertyman: The first episode doesn't appear to have any DRM at all. I just ran it again to verify, and it seems to be running fine (without Steam installed). Maybe it's like that because they wanted Episode 1 to be like a trial or demo episode?
Could be; I believe Telltale do that fairly often. Added it to the list, thanks.
Here's a few more:

Appears to work fine:

Broken Sword 2

Appears to work fine but requires creation of THQ account:

Company of Heroes

Note: You probably have to input some CD keys or something to verify your account once it's created. I didn't create the account so I'm not sure.

Doesn't appear to work:

Aliens vs Predator (new one)
Broken Sword 3
Broken Sword Shadow of the Templars
Bulletstorm
Command & Conquer 3 - Kane's Wrath
Command & Conquer 3 - Tiberium Wars
Command & Conquer - Red Alert 3
Dungeon Defenders
Hitman: Codename 47
Section 8 Prejudice
Steelstorm
Supreme Commander
Supreme Commander 2
Supreme Commander Forged Alliance
Tom Clancy's Endwar
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X. 2
Tom Clancy's H.A.W.X.

I still have a ton more to check, but that's it for now.
Here's some more:

Appears to work:

Bioshock 2 (Requires GFWL)
Killing Floor

Doesn't appear to work:

Bioshock
Borderlands 2
Darksiders
Ghost Recon
Serious Sam 3
Singularity
Torchlight
More:

Appears to work without Steam but requires online activation:

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Grand Theft Auto IV
Grand Theft Auto IV Episodes from Liberty City

Appears to work without Steam but uses Securom:

Batman: Arkham Asylum GOTY
Batman: Arkham City

Appears to work but uses Tages:

Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena

Doesn't work:

Crysis 2 GOTY
Dark Souls PTD
Dead Island
Ghostbusters
L.A. Noire
Overlord
Overlord 2
Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell Conviction
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine
Sine Mora came out this week on Steam. Anyone know of a place to get a non-Steam version, or if the Steam version is DRM-free?
pedrovay2003: Sine Mora came out this week on Steam. Anyone know of a place to get a non-Steam version, or if the Steam version is DRM-free?
No idea at this moment. Looks like a decent game, though. If it's not a Steam exclusive then I'll probably wait and pick it up DRM free elsewhere.
pedrovay2003: Sine Mora came out this week on Steam. Anyone know of a place to get a non-Steam version, or if the Steam version is DRM-free?
Looks like it's steam exclusive:

DRM:Steamworks (Requires a third-party download and account)
Activation:Must be activated on Steam
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-SINEMORA/sine-mora