It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

X-com: Running With Rifles seems to be DRM free according to the developer: http://steamcommunity.com/app/270150/discussions/0/35219681575668572/
Sounds good to me; I added it to the wiki. I love when developers don't hide the fact that they actually respect their customers.
X-com: Running With Rifles seems to be DRM free according to the developer: http://steamcommunity.com/app/270150/discussions/0/35219681575668572/
If
I wasn't broke right now, I'd buy it just cause of that. It's on my wish list...
hummer010: If
I wasn't broke right now, I'd buy it just cause of that. It's on my wish list...
Haha yeah I want the game too but I've bought too much stuff recently and also have a huge backlog of games waiting to be played.
I am still confused about Dead Space 1 - Origin version (yes, it is a bit OT but it's still about free copying). Whenever I try to start an Origin game which needs Origin, the Origin Client will be started. This is not the case if I try to start Dead Space from any directory. The game runs without a problem. It still does run after I deinstalled the Origin Client and deleted the keys from the registry. I've tested this multiple times on winxp. But here it was said that the game does not run without Origin. Since the Steam version DOES need the Client in any case I think this would be an alternative but I am still not sure why it does workl for me but not for all.
Hi there,

can someone test whether Bloodrayne 2 requires Steam to run or not.

Thanks
MarkoH01: I am still confused about Dead Space 1 - Origin version (yes, it is a bit OT but it's still about free copying). Whenever I try to start an Origin game which needs Origin, the Origin Client will be started. This is not the case if I try to start Dead Space from any directory. The game runs without a problem. It still does run after I deinstalled the Origin Client and deleted the keys from the registry. I've tested this multiple times on winxp. But here it was said that the game does not run without Origin. Since the Steam version DOES need the Client in any case I think this would be an alternative but I am still not sure why it does workl for me but not for all.
When I tried the Origin version of Dead Space, it certainly did require Origin to play. Without running it through Origin, I even got an Origin-specific error popup that's built right into the main program file. The Steam version requires Steam to run, but it doesn't have CEG or any kind of activation limit the way Dead Space 2 does, so I'm comfortable with playing that version.

I WISH I could get the Origin version working without Origin, but I've tried everything I can think of, and it just won't run without the client. :( Is your game fully updated, or is it an older version?
Post edited April 19, 2015 by pedrovay2003
MarkoH01: Would that mean that every game which has not this CheckGuid in the steamdb can be copied (at least to another directory) freely and run without steam?
pedrovay2003: Essentially, yes, I think so. Hell, the games that don't have CheckGuid work if you copy/paste them to entirely different machines, in my experience.
I'm not sure this is necessarily the case. For example, Jet Set Radio does not have CheckGuid in steamdb.info or in it's appmanifest_xxx.acf file, yet it does not seem to work without Steam running. I've tried it, ensuring that the appropriate registry keys have been created, the necessary redistributables are installed and in renaming the steam_api.dll and steamapi_w.dll files -- yet it still complains that "Steam is not running" when I try to start it using the executable on a system that has never had Steam installed.

Limbo also does not list CheckGuid anywhere, but the Steam version does not seem to start without Steam running, and if you delete/rename steam_api.dll it says it is missing the file and won't start.
MarkoH01: I am still confused about Dead Space 1 - Origin version (yes, it is a bit OT but it's still about free copying). Whenever I try to start an Origin game which needs Origin, the Origin Client will be started. This is not the case if I try to start Dead Space from any directory. The game runs without a problem. It still does run after I deinstalled the Origin Client and deleted the keys from the registry. I've tested this multiple times on winxp. But here it was said that the game does not run without Origin. Since the Steam version DOES need the Client in any case I think this would be an alternative but I am still not sure why it does workl for me but not for all.
pedrovay2003: When I tried the Origin version of Dead Space, it certainly did require Origin to play. Without running it through Origin, I even got an Origin-specific error popup that's built right into the main program file. The Steam version requires Steam to run, but it doesn't have CEG or any kind of activation limit the way Dead Space 2 does, so I'm comfortable with playing that version.

I WISH I could get the Origin version working without Origin, but I've tried everything I can think of, and it just won't run without the client. :( Is your game fully updated, or is it an older version?
I will redownload the game and test it on both my OS (WinXP and Win7). I really want to know why it does run on my system without Origin and on yours not. Will pot when I have done that .

Edit: It really seems that they have meanwhile updated the game so it now does need Origin to start. I have activated the game on Origin in 12/2014. Never did an update and started the game directly through the executble. That is the version I saved on my external HDD. Now I copied the version back into the Origin directory and it was updated. After the update the game does not start anymore without Origin.
Post edited April 20, 2015 by MarkoH01
MarkoH01: I will redownload the game and test it on both my OS (WinXP and Win7). I really want to know why it does run on my system without Origin and on yours not. Will pot when I have done that .

Edit: It really seems that they have meanwhile updated the game so it now does need Origin to start. I have activated the game on Origin in 12/2014. Never did an update and started the game directly through the executble. That is the version I saved on my external HDD. Now I copied the version back into the Origin directory and it was updated. After the update the game does not start anymore without Origin.
You know what? I just noticed that it says you're from Germany. Do you think EA could have distributed different .exe files in different regions? I know the retail Mass Effect DRM is different, and if you have the EA Value Hits version from Europe, you can reduce the online activation to a mere disc check; maybe this is the same concept.
MarkoH01: I will redownload the game and test it on both my OS (WinXP and Win7). I really want to know why it does run on my system without Origin and on yours not. Will pot when I have done that .

pedrovay2003: You know what? I just noticed that it says you're from Germany. Do you think EA could have distributed different .exe files in different regions? I know the retail Mass Effect DRM is different, and if you have the EA Value Hits version from Europe, you can reduce the online activation to a mere disc check; maybe this is the same concept.
You're correct - I am from Germany. As I activated the game I had the opportunity to chose between French/German or English/Spanish and some other languages I don't remember anymore. I chose the German version but I really don't think that the executable is Germany exclusive and as I said above - after the update my version does need Origin too.
For anyone interested, I typed up a huge tutorial detailing how to run Steam games offline forever, and I posted it here:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/how_to_run_steam_games_offline_forever_tutorial/page1

Everything in the tutorial is legal and does not violate any terms of service or anything, so you don't have to worry about any of that. No third-party downloading is necessary, either. It's not DRM-free, but it's pretty close.

EDIT: Wow, well, that wasn't received well.
Post edited April 27, 2015 by pedrovay2003
pedrovay2003: EDIT: Wow, well, that wasn't received well.
I would say it did not receive 100% positive response but there are still a lot who found your tutorial quite useful. You will always get a splitted audience if you are talking about Steam on GOG - no need to worry :)
Two more games that are DRM-free:

Delver
Star Ruler 2

Both games as always tested on Win7 / 64bit.
pedrovay2003: EDIT: Wow, well, that wasn't received well.
MarkoH01: I would say it did not receive 100% positive response but there are still a lot who found your tutorial quite useful. You will always get a splitted audience if you are talking about Steam on GOG - no need to worry :)
Yeah, people warmed up to the concept, which makes me happy. :D

DCG83: Two more games that are DRM-free:

Delver
Star Ruler 2

Both games as always tested on Win7 / 64bit.
Excellent, thank you! I've added them to the wiki.
Post edited April 29, 2015 by pedrovay2003
Just a quick question here for people who know more about this.

Is there anything specific about the list of games here that makes them not have CEG?

Basically, is there a technical reason they do/can not use CEG, or is this a choice? I made a post for the upcoming Q&A asking CDP if Witcher 3 is going to use CEG on Steam because over the years I got the impression it was optional to do so but I'm not sure now.

repost of the question here for context

Will the Witcher 3 on Steam use CEG?

This question comes because of the statement below and the later added update which calls the statement itself into doubt

I’d like to say it loud and clear: The PC version of The Witcher 3 will have absolutely no DRM from day 0. Zero. Zip. Nada. It doesn’t matter if you choose to buy it on GOG.com and support us directly or buy the game in box format, you’ll still get the 100% DRM-free experience. And this goes for the whole world.

We’ve fiddled with DRM in the past (Oh boy! How young and naïve we were;)) and that’s enough. Lesson learned.

UPDATE:
It’ll be on Steam; the team isn’t going to exclude that community by any means. Gamers have a choice in where they buy their games, but where CDPR does have control — like GOG.com — there will be absolutely no DRM.
Basically it starts saying there will be zero (zip nada) DRM on PC for Witcher 3, yet then seems to backtrack somewhat in the update, almost making it sound like it would be out of your hands if the Steam version did have some sort of check.

As far as we know CEG is an optional thing. There's a list right here on this forum keeping track of games on Steam that do not use CEG, and it's still getting added to regularly. Is there any reason why Witcher 3 will not/could not be on this list?
Post edited May 02, 2015 by Pheace