It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Kristian: Their ridiculous excuses regarding the Raspberry Pi and the like speaks for it self.
Maighstir: Personally, I wouldn't be surprised if that was the result of the non-techie PR guy stringing together an excuse made up of words he'd heard once or twice because he's been ordered to refute anything and everything about a new feature until the techs tell the bosses that it's good to go (but since they are working on feature x, they don't have an excuse as to why they're not, so PR has to make something up when users demand a reason).
Maybe. But as of now, what he said is the official word of GOG. The only official word of GOG at that.
Kristian: Maybe. But as of now, what he said is the official word of GOG. The only official word of GOG at that.
I don't disagree, but I prefer to interpret the job opening as a positive sign.
No, it's not the only official response. Here is a more positive one, which uses the same weird "excuse" for not having it yet, but it's still positive future wise (FYI, Trevor Longino is EnigmaticT):

PCG: And Linux?

TL: Linux gaming is also something we’d love to do, but we haven’t made any announcements about it yet. We’ve been looking at it.

I’ve been making public statements for a while that there are technical hurdles. Steam’s approach is to say, “Here’s our distro, we support this distro. Have another distro? Sorry.” That’s not how GOG does things, we’re more free-range gaming. So we’re looking at how to deliver the GOG experience on— we can’t say every computer, because you can of course hook up an E Ink display with 2-color CGA as your monitor, use Lynx as your web browser, and run some weird Debian distro that you’ve custom modded to do just what you want and then say, “How come I can’t play your games?”

PCG: I’d love to play Fallout 2 on an E Ink display.

TL: Yeah, something like that? No, we won’t support it, obviously. But we want to try to get it where the majority of gamers, if they’re on Linux, will be able to get a game and expect it works. We haven’t found a solution, yet. We know there’s a big demand for it, just like we know everyone wants System Shock with 25 thousand votes. It’s tough, because the rights with System Shock are just a mess. Likewise, we know people want Linux games. And people are saying “You could just distribute the TAR and we’ll figure it out.” Sure, we could just distribute the DOS executables and just let the Windows users figure it out, but that’s not how we do business. So making that experience on Linux is a challenge and one that we’re trying to address.
The main ideas:
Linux gaming is also something we’d love to do, but we haven’t made any announcements about it yet. We’ve been looking at it.

making that experience on Linux is a challenge and one that we’re trying to address.
Post edited August 15, 2013 by shmerl

PCG: And Linux?
So we’re looking at how to deliver the GOG experience on— we can’t say every computer, because you can of course hook up an E Ink display with 2-color CGA as your monitor, use Lynx as your web browser, and run some weird Debian distro that you’ve custom modded to do just what you want and then say, “How come I can’t play your games?”
It looks like they finally picked up some commonsense. Hopefully, they don't hide behind the Raspberry Pi excuse anymore.
Should I be amused? Because I am not.
Some people have no clue what they are saying. Answer them that there should be some organization that makes games for Windows, in order for developers not to waste time. May be then they'll get how stupid that statement is.
shmerl: Some people have no clue what they are saying. Answer them that there should be some organization that makes games for Windows, in order for developers not to waste time. May be then they'll get how stupid that statement is.
They will probably just bring up the argument of how Windows has more market share than Linux and what not. Still, the amount of people in that thread asking for the Linux version or saying they'll buy it elsewhere due to the lack thereof is impressive.
In great Linux gaming news...

http://www.kalypsomedia.com/en/news/index.shtml?pab=1_1

(Look out for the Tux logo at the end of the trailer).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMBhfsCR7ig

In other news:
GOG continues to ignore Linux.
I just want to add my voice to the choir asking for Linux games. I already exclusively use Linux. As a result I stick with native Linux clients, or games that I can run through wine of dosbox.

I do believe GOG should adopt the common mindset among most Linux users, in that people would not mind having Linux support started as a beta. Meaning they would start adding the native Linux versions for games that have it, and let the community aid in ironing out issues. I would personally love to participate in testing Linux versions released by GOG on my Arch Linux system and help with figuring out how to get the games running if they don't work out of the box.

As so many others have stated, I want to buy from GOG because of their no-DRM policy, and all the goodies. GOG is very unique in this aspect, but their lack of Linux support are making me stick with steam for Linux games. But I would seriously buy all those games again from GOG if they were to offer Linux support.
GOG just got Shadowgrounds Survivor... Which happens to have a Linux version (available in the Humble Bundle Store). It's a pity though, it's cheaper here on GOG.
Post edited August 20, 2013 by shmerl
niniendowarrior: .......
In other news:
GOG continues to ignore Linux.
To be fair, they wouldn't tell us they had stopped ignoring it. They would want it to be one of those surprises they love so much.

Daerandin: I just want to add my voice to the choir asking for Linux games. I already exclusively use Linux. As a result I stick with native Linux clients, or games that I can run through wine of dosbox.

I do believe GOG should adopt the common mindset among most Linux users, in that people would not mind having Linux support started as a beta. Meaning they would start adding the native Linux versions for games that have it, and let the community aid in ironing out issues. I would personally love to participate in testing Linux versions released by GOG on my Arch Linux system and help with figuring out how to get the games running if they don't work out of the box.

As so many others have stated, I want to buy from GOG because of their no-DRM policy, and all the goodies. GOG is very unique in this aspect, but their lack of Linux support are making me stick with steam for Linux games. But I would seriously buy all those games again from GOG if they were to offer Linux support.
I just saw another game I got here, on steam with a linux version and was like "son of a bitch." I'm getting kind of sick of buy it here, oh look there is a Linux version I have to go buy elsewhere. I'm sold on DRM-free but it would be nice if I didn't have to rebuy stuff.
GOG spelled it "overdeliver and underpromise". It can have downsides too - no public roadmap.
shmerl: GOG spelled it "overdeliver and underpromise". It can have downsides too - no public roadmap.
That is what's driving me insane. I can't buy games until I know what's what! I've been holding out on buying games (apart from Valve game which will never leave Steam anyway) since Steam for Linux was released, hoping that GOG would soon follow as I would rather spend my money here. If GOG would finally decline, instead of being an abusive spouse I keep coming back to, then I could go elsewhere and spend my money there.
What could it mean for Linux support on GOG once Microsoft stops supporting Windows XP?
Future_Suture: What could it mean for Linux support on GOG once Microsoft stops supporting Windows XP?
Nothing? They'll probably just focus Win7 instead.