It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

This is interesting. GOG has a new open position for a senior software engineer oriented for the desktop (i.e. frontend).

The notable required point there is:
* Technical knowledge of popular operating systems: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux.

I hope it's a indicator that GOG started to take a serious interest in Linux at last.
Post edited June 25, 2013 by shmerl
shmerl: This is interesting. GOG has a new open position for a senior software engineer oriented for the desktop (i.e. frontend).

The notable required point there is:
* Technical knowledge of popular operating systems: Windows, Mac OS X, Linux.

I hope it's a indicator that GOG started to take a serious interest in Linux at last.
Means absolutely nothing as the person could simply be just someone maintaining/developing GOG's Linux servers/website. "... building the best online services and desktop features for our sister game-development studio CD Projekt RED and other partners."

STILL... if this really means GOG getting serious about Linux, that is fantastic news. I wouldn't build up expectations though.
Post edited June 26, 2013 by niniendowarrior
No, note the desktop position and C++ requirement. Also note Qt QML being mentioned. This is not about maintaining a web site. This is straight about creating desktop GUI applications (like downloader and etc.).
Post edited June 26, 2013 by shmerl
shmerl: No, note the desktop position and C++ requirement. Also note like Qt QM being mentioned. This is not about maintaining a web site.
Maybe. Maybe not. For all you know, they will hire them and dump them into PHP. LOL. Qt is nice, but EA Origin was also built using Qt and so far... there's no Linux support from them.
That's obvious for me at least from the requirements that this is a desktop GUI developer position. GOG is pretty straightforward about it: "Senior Software Engineer - Desktop".

Their other positions are explicit as well:

Lead Web Developer, PHP
Sr Web Developer, PHP
Sr Web Designer
Web Graphic Designer
Lead Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer - Online

Why would they hire someone proficient in C++ to work with PHP sites creation, when they explicitly have other open positions for that? Make your conclusions.
Post edited June 26, 2013 by shmerl
shmerl: That's obvious for me at least from the requirements that this is a desktop GUI developer position. GOG is pretty straightforward about it: "Senior Software Engineer - Desktop".

Their other positions are explicit as well:

Lead Web Developer, PHP
Sr Web Developer, PHP
Sr Web Designer
Web Graphic Designer
Lead Software Engineer
Senior Software Engineer - Online

Why would they hire someone proficient in C++ to work with PHP sites creation, when they explicitly have other open positions for that? Make your conclusions.
Let's hope it means something! :) Personally, all anybody can do is hope. Could be a new Mac build of their client. Qt obviously means something cross platform at the very least.
Post edited June 26, 2013 by niniendowarrior
Not quite Linux related, but do any of you know why titles like Trine 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent are missing from GOG? They have been out for a while, are prominent indie games, and both have Linux clients to boot.
No idea about Amnesia but Trine 2 *still* doesn't have a DRM-free Windows release yet AFAIK.

Anyway back on topic... not supporting Linux is costing GOG.com sales. Whenever a game has a Linux version available I will buy it from wherever I can get the Linux version (usually the Humble Store), as long as the Linux version is DRM-free. Even when a game doesn't have a Linux release I still often find myself buying from the Humble Store anyway if possible just in case a Linux version eventually does get released!

I might not get the extras this way, but I prefer having stuff run natively whenever possible than risk not being able to get it working properly if at all in Wine/CrossOver (and besides that, I often end up having to get things like soundtracks separately anyway because I prefer having lossless FLAC versions).
I just found out that GamersGate supports Linux as well. Just look at titles such as The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief and Aeon Command. It's nothing major like with Steam, but it is a start. C'mon GOG, get to it already.
Linux support could be one of the two major R&D projects "in support of further expansion of the platform" listed for GOG for 2013:
https://www.cdprojekt.com/en/Capital_group/Strategia_rozwoju
I wonder what they are and when we'll see something from these, given the year is half over.
Post edited July 04, 2013 by SCPM
2 big projects sounds interesting. I hope one of them is Linux support indeed.
I don't know... I tend to read the word "platform" in the phrase "in support of further expansion of the platform" to refer to the GOG.com as a platform itself, not to Operating System platforms.

That being said, I sure do hope Linux support is indeed coming.
If Linux support is coming this year, they will feel the slap of my wallet as it ricochets off their faces at high speeds, leaving a trail of cash behind.
Even Crytek is looking to support Linux now. GOG, stop wasting everybody's time and let us give you our money.
shmerl: No, note the desktop position and C++ requirement. Also note Qt QML being mentioned. This is not about maintaining a web site. This is straight about creating desktop GUI applications (like downloader and etc.).
So in other words GOG is or will be running some Linux server(s) and want some one to create GUI applications for that purpose. Perhaps related to special GOG related server maitanence needs. Perhaps some GUI applications to edit game descriptions or mainain the GOG library/database of games?

What ever it is the person won't be working on actual Linux support for actual games. There is no way they could get the games to run on the Rapsberry Pi. So we sadly won't see Linux support on GOG :(

Edit:

Future_Suture that is VERY good news about CryTek, if only GOG were as open minded as them!
Post edited July 08, 2013 by Kristian