It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Petrell: Considering most indies released past year or so started development several years ago, I doubt Steam had had major effect on porting games to linux YET or are there many Windows games that have been ported after Steam Linux support?
Just some examples:

Don't Starve (at GOG with no Linux version)
Kerbal Space Program
Serious Sam 3
The X3 series (porting in progress)
I'd give more credit to humble bundle that has been cross platform from day 1
They got the ball rolling, that's right. But the download store market leader surely made a bigger impact by announcing Linux support.
The post you linked is exactly what I was talking about. it is choke full of inaccuracies and bad "logic". Not supporting every distribution under the sun is no more problematic than not supportin Windows 95, 98, Millenium Edition or Windows 2000. Not supporting completely different operating systems like FreeBSD is irrelevant for Linux support. Not supporting the Raspberry Pi is no different than not supporting Windows phones and tablets running on ARM on the Windows side of things. All of the fragmentation stuff is either greatly exaggerated or have up to multiple solutions nad have not stopped say Valve from supporting Linux.
Kristian: All of the fragmentation stuff is either greatly exaggerated or have up to multiple solutions nad have not stopped say Valve from supporting Linux.
Valve actually solved the issue by smartly introducing the "Steam Runtime". Which is a stripped down Ubuntu 12.04 integrated into the Steam client and making games developed for Ubuntu work under almost every distribution under the sun - as long as there is a recent Linux kernel and a x86 CPU. They really put effort into making things work instead of searching for excuses.
Post edited June 19, 2013 by jtsn
You see Valve haven't heard about the nightmare that the Raspberry Pi brings to the table for anyone wanting to support Linux. What a travesty not supporting the Raspberry Pi would be for GOG they wouldn't really support Linux then!!!1111!!!!
Humble Bundle managed even without Steam-like runtime which is often just a bloat. Many games work on many distros. There can be differences, but GOG can start from minimum, and progress to better bundling.

Each game by itself can pack a set of needed libraries to avoid conflicts with the base system.
Post edited June 19, 2013 by shmerl
I totally support this. I would LOVE to see this happening. There are plenty of titles already offered here that have a Linux version already. Even a simple .deb for Ubuntu would be enough for me (I have Arch)
Main reason for my interest for GOG to introduce linux support is that I could get the linux versions of Kickstarter games I've supported right here at GOG.. I hate having millions of different accounts, I'd like to get all the games here. Wasteland 2 for example is supposed to come out in fall this year and it will have a linux version.

Of course I wouldn't mind linux versions for other games also :)
Post edited June 20, 2013 by Daliz
Daliz: Wasteland 2 for example is supposed to come out in fall this year and it will have a linux version.
I was hoping inXile and Obsidian would give them a kick in the ass and get Linux support here.
GOG already provdes the download-and-tweak option so many people asked for. A lot of games are in ScummVM or Dosbox, and the ones that aren't are probably OK in WINE. If you want to run in Linux, in most cases there's nothing stopping you other than a bit of work.

Remember, GOG started out as selling old games for cheap and doing the tech support themselves. For that, they obviously targeted the majority platform. Adding Linux support *is* a huge pain - just because you don't see or understand all the work involved doesn't mean you can say that work isn't necessary.

GOG has pretty clearly stated that they don't have the resources to do it now. That doesn't mean they won't do it in the future. I expect they'll add it sometime after they've got more Mac games in the catalog.
GOG did not say they don't have resources. Can you point where they said that if you saw otherwise? They said that they are in the process of figuring out "how to best support Linux" which sounded like a very difficult puzzle to solve. I didn't see anything about the lack of resources.

Also, if you check, GOG is profitable (they publish their profits periodically as part of the CDP report), so I doubt they are suffering from the severe lack of resources.
Post edited June 20, 2013 by shmerl
TheScorpion: I totally support this. I would LOVE to see this happening. There are plenty of titles already offered here that have a Linux version already. Even a simple .deb for Ubuntu would be enough for me (I have Arch)
As GOG excels at making old games work on modern platforms, I would be thrilled if they made Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and Unreal Tournament 2004 work on modern Linux distros. Those games have Linux clients already!
Gydion: I was hoping inXile and Obsidian would give them a kick in the ass and get Linux support here.
Indeed. Obsidian's current distribution strategy for Linux is "let's hope GOG supports Linux by the time Project Eternity comes out! If not, we'll think of something".

Future_Suture: As GOG excels at making old games work on modern platforms, I would be thrilled if they made Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and Unreal Tournament 2004 work on modern Linux distros. Those games have Linux clients already!
Actually, UT2004 already works on modern distros just fine, albeit with a bit of tweaking. Here's a guide I wrote on getting UT2003 to work, and much of that applies to UT2004 as well: http://greatemerald.xmpcommunity.com/index.php/articles/general-articles/264-running-unreal-tournament-2003-on-modern-linux.html

As for HoMM3, the native Linux version is really old. It's Restoration of Erathia only, without the expansions (Armageddon's Blade and Shadow of Death), so running the Windows version through Wine is a better solution.
Future_Suture: As GOG excels at making old games work on modern platforms, I would be thrilled if they made Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and Unreal Tournament 2004 work on modern Linux distros. Those games have Linux clients already!
GreatEmerald: Actually, UT2004 already works on modern distros just fine, albeit with a bit of tweaking. Here's a guide I wrote on getting UT2003 to work, and much of that applies to UT2004 as well: http://greatemerald.xmpcommunity.com/index.php/articles/general-articles/264-running-unreal-tournament-2003-on-modern-linux.html

As for HoMM3, the native Linux version is really old. It's Restoration of Erathia only, without the expansions (Armageddon's Blade and Shadow of Death), so running the Windows version through Wine is a better solution.
I already own Unreal Tournament 2004 thanks to a compilation disk I bought a few years back. Came with Unreal Tournament, Unreal, and Unreal 2 as well. Nevertheless, I would buy Unreal Tournament 2004 again, and off GOG at that if they start to support Linux, along with gifting the game to several of my friends. I would be willing to try your method, but persuading my friends to do so is a different story! Regarding Heroes of Might and Magic 3, I guess it's the only option. Wouldn't this be beneficial to the cause, however?
Post edited June 22, 2013 by Future_Suture
Future_Suture: Regarding Heroes of Might and Magic 3, I guess it's the only option. Wouldn't this be beneficial to the cause, however?
Once done, yes, definitely. Although it still has quite some ways to go until it reaches feature parity with the original.
I want to make fellow Linux users of GOG aware of this. Come show your support on Reddit!
Post edited September 06, 2013 by Future_Suture