It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Future_Suture: What I am really waiting for is DOTA 2. That will be big.
Yes it will but you don't really need to wait for it. I've installed it with Crossover and it runs just fine. The only issue I've had was at the end of the game there is a bit of a slowdown when the score screen appears. Other than that, it's all smooth sailing.

Should probably work on vanilla wine or playonlinux.
Future_Suture: What I am really waiting for is DOTA 2. That will be big.
silviucc: Yes it will but you don't really need to wait for it. I've installed it with Crossover and it runs just fine. The only issue I've had was at the end of the game there is a bit of a slowdown when the score screen appears. Other than that, it's all smooth sailing.

Should probably work on vanilla wine or playonlinux.
I haven't touched the game at all yet despite having been sent several beta invitations so I might as well boot it up for the first time on my favourite operating system. I am sure it indicates to Valve just how great it is that they are supporting Linux when I have had access to the game for so long but waited to download, install, and play it for the first time on Linux.
For DOSBOX games, I'm not quite sure I understand the difficulty in bringing those games to Linux. In fact, I could just install a DOSBOX game on my Windows computer, then just copy the game directory to a USB drive, copy it over to my Linux machine and run the game using DOSBOX Linux.

All GOG has to do is either create a Linux version of their installer or offer the download of the game files directly.

Is there anything else?

Non-DOSBOX games on GOG is a different matter. The porting of Linux is not up to GOG, it's up to the developer.
DosBox games aren't the focus of this thread and request for Linux support. Native Linux game are. And it's not so much about porting (though Humble Bundle hired a developer to work on ports). It's about selling games which already have a port.
Post edited March 02, 2013 by shmerl
Interesting piece of news from Adam Badowski, the head of CD Projekt Red studio:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-03-07-cd-projekt-independence-is-a-crucial-part-of-a-our-strategy
Q: Does the Steambox excite you?

Adam Badowski: I think the Steambox will be awesome. Because Valve is a digital platform holder, the final contact with the customer will be as easy as possible. That's why we're looking forward to it. We're in contact with Steam, so we're going to be engaged in the process.
It can have interesting implications, like CD Projekt Red working on Linux ports of their games. For GOG naturally as a sister company of CDPR it would be strange not to sell them. But it can take quite a time still :)
Post edited March 07, 2013 by shmerl
The Linux ecosystem has seen an increase in number of native games developed for it in the past few years and more and more developers/publishers are working towards increasing their market share by distributing their games on as many platforms as they can. It is very possible that with the launch of the Steambox and Ouya and many other devices that use Linux or a variant of it (Android) , as well as the downfall of newer versions of Windows we might bear witness to a massive shift towards Linux as a main gaming platform and not just an afterthought.

I truly hope in a few years we will see AAA games natively on Linux with good driver support and with no DRM plaguing the ecosystem as it currently is. And if GOG were to expand and support the Linux growth and maybe also create a Linux Client/Downloader then that would truly help accelerate the Linux adoption rate.

The time for open-minded projects/software/hardware is close at hand and we should all embrace it and support it.
Community developed Linux GOG downloader is already available, and works pretty decently:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/lgogdownloader_gogdownloader_for_linux
Michiduta: I truly hope in a few years we will see AAA games natively on Linux with good driver support and with no DRM plaguing the ecosystem as it currently is.
You won't see AAA games natively on Linux without DRM, that's something I'm willing to put money on.

I think that's one of the problems with a part of the Linux crowd, expecting that all software mold to the FOSS mentality. Unfortunately, when it comes to code that brings back money that isn't as likely to happen; not to mention that modern gaming wasn't really birthed on Linux, and as such doesn't have that mindset.
Why do you say that? A lot of good AAA games have been hampered by some nasty DRM and have driven most gamers playing those games to use cracked versions of the games they have bought just so that they can enjoy their games without the annoyances of the DRM.

Others have chosen to not buy the games at all and just have the patched no-drm version of it downloaded and ready to play even though they would have bought those games had they not had game-breaking DRM.

The DRM is a plague that will be rooted out eventually. It just takes time to prove to developers that they would have better sales and lower development/maintenance costs without that piece of software that only serves to annoy their loyal buyers.
shmerl: Community developed Linux GOG downloader is already available, and works pretty decently:

http://www.gog.com/forum/general/lgogdownloader_gogdownloader_for_linux
Yes I have read that topic and it seems to be progressing nicely. I haven't used it yet (only found out about it yesterday), though I believe it lacks a GUI and many features that could be added if the downloader would be officially developed/supported by GOG as their linux downloader.
AndrewC: You won't see AAA games natively on Linux without DRM
Not any less than for Windows. AAA or BBB - DRM is a dying trend. You'll simply see more and more DRM free games in the future.
AndrewC: You won't see AAA games natively on Linux without DRM
shmerl: Not any less than for Windows. AAA or BBB - DRM is a dying trend. You'll simply see more and more DRM free games in the future.
I just have to wait and see then, because so far 99% of the triple A titles have had DRM.

Sure, as more and more indie games will get out there the percentage of total games having DRM will decrease, but it'll be a cold day in hell when big name publishers/developers start releasing most of their games DRM free.
I honestly don't care, since I don't buy DRMed games. I buy games on GOG and and other similar channels to support developers who release their games DRM free :) How many games on GOG can be considered AAA? Quite a lot I think, but I personally don't care about the size of the studio - I care for good games. Even big studios can make mass market junk, and small ones can make a masterpiece.

The industry does move, though not too fast:

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130307/17202922246/just-cause-2-developer-why-it-wont-utilize-drm-it-treats-our-fans-like-criminals.shtml
Post edited March 08, 2013 by shmerl
CDPR/GOG released some future plans:

http://www.cdprojektred.com/resources/document/2013/2013_05_-_zalacznik.pdf
http://www.vg247.com/2013/03/22/witcher-3-long-term-support-plans-include-completely-new-mechanisms-report/

Strangely, Linux or Steambox aren't even mentioned at all.
Both are yet unknown quantities. We've got an idea about how many linux users have steam running but regarding the steambox we don't really know what it is yet. Hopefully it's something good.

Anyways, I bet CDPR are eyeballing it.