It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Linux users are just a bunch of slime pirates that want to get their GOG games for Linux for free.
Providing Linux files on GOG would no doubt attract the Linux users here, and then we would all suffer as they'd break the lights so they could slither in the dark even when amongst us.
:p
Adzeth: Linux users are just a bunch of slime pirates that want to get their GOG games for Linux for free.
Providing Linux files on GOG would no doubt attract the Linux users here, and then we would all suffer as they'd break the lights so they could slither in the dark even when amongst us.
:p
He's onto us! Grab what you can and FLEE!
Kristian: Here is something I just posted on Twitter with Twitlonger, a bit of rant: http://www.twitlonger.com/show/k3u2mk
Nice rant and an impressive collection you have! Really hope GOG starts listening soon. As displayed, GOG aren't quite so small anymore.
Fenixp: That's ... Not exactly how competition works, you know.
SLP2000: Sorry to tell you that, but that's exactly how competition works. By offering your own model, and making people choose your model.

If yours were the truth, we would have only Steam clones, and no GOG.

By the way, if you think GOGs way is not correct, look at this

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/RebeccaFernandez/20121115/181717/Where_can_I_sell_my_Indie_PC_game.php#comment177069

"Revenue from source compared to steam's revenue:
Steam - 100% (obviously)
Desura - 0.41%
Impulse - 0.51%
GOG* - 37.8% <------------WHOA!"

GOG is doing good with indie games, they don't have to change anything. At this moment we are almost in a point, when releasing indie game on GOG is one of te key points. Of course it's far from Steam, but if you take a look at Kickstarter games, they all started with "Steam key", and now they start with GOG key in their FAQ.
I love how the initial blog entry has the pro bullet point for "quality control" for Steam, GamersGate, and Desura. Um, really? GamersGate and Desura will accept almost anything thrown their way, and even Steam is known to put some really questionable and even broken games onto their service simply because a publisher may have been previously approved already.

GOG's releases may fluctuate here and there a bit, but as far as quality standards go it's typically far above those other three, and it really is one of those rare services that actively tries to provide fixes for issues when possible.
Post edited November 23, 2012 by mistermumbles
On a somewhat related note, where are the Mac OS versions of Trine and Torchlight? Where are Trine 2 and Amnesia: The Dark Descent for Windows and Mac OS?
Kristian: SLP2000, I for the life of me can't get why are adamantly INSISTING that GoG not do this. Why should GoG be inferior?
I don't know about SLP2000 but I'd rather have Android ports... and Amiga ports... and Apple 2 ports... and C64 ports... and DOS game installers setup to run on real hardware... and ...

I don't think it's practical to make everyone happy. GOG is a small company. Are there really enough Linux exclusive gamers to warrant special attention? There hasn't been a Linux packaged AAA game for sale since the days of Loki. :/
Snickersnack: I don't think it's practical to make everyone happy. GOG is a small company. Are there really enough Linux exclusive gamers to warrant special attention?
Look at HiB sales, pretty much any of them. It's probably the best way to get idea of just how strong the Linux market can be in comparison with Mac and Windows (there's usually just sliightly less Linux buyers than there's Mac buyers, and Linux users pay by far the most of the three.) Basically, do you really think Steam would get ported to Linux if there wasn't money to be made there?

edit: Actually, Link. Doesn't seem like a market that's just safe to ignore, does it?
Post edited November 23, 2012 by Fenixp
Kristian: SLP2000, I for the life of me can't get why are adamantly INSISTING that GoG not do this. Why should GoG be inferior?
Snickersnack: I don't know about SLP2000 but I'd rather have Android ports... and Amiga ports... and Apple 2 ports... and C64 ports... and DOS game installers setup to run on real hardware... and ...

I don't think it's practical to make everyone happy. GOG is a small company. Are there really enough Linux exclusive gamers to warrant special attention? There hasn't been a Linux packaged AAA game for sale since the days of Loki. :/
Well the developers and publishers of certain games on GoG ahve already decided that there is enough a market for them to pursue Linux ports like fro example is the case with The Book of Unwritten Tales. It is just that GoG refuses to host those ports even as unsupported extras. So market share isn't really an issue since the ports ALREADY exist.
Snickersnack: I don't think it's practical to make everyone happy. GOG is a small company. Are there really enough Linux exclusive gamers to warrant special attention? There hasn't been a Linux packaged AAA game for sale since the days of Loki. :/
It's quite difficult to say. There aren't all that many Linux users because Linux doesn't have the programs they want. The programs they want won't go to Linux because there aren't enough Linux users. If either was fixed, the other one's fix would follow (in my idealistic perfect world, at least).
Snickersnack: I don't know about SLP2000 but I'd rather have Android ports... and Amiga ports... and Apple 2 ports... and C64 ports... and DOS game installers setup to run on real hardware... and ...

Kristian: Well the developers and publishers of certain games on GoG ahve already decided that there is enough a market for them to pursue Linux ports like fro example is the case with The Book of Unwritten Tales. It is just that GoG refuses to host those ports even as unsupported extras. So market share isn't really an issue since the ports ALREADY exist.
Refuse? Can GOG really just upload the Linux ports of Descent 3, Shogo, Alpha Centuari, Sacred, Disciples, etc because they already exist? I'd have assumed they'd have to negotiate separate distribution rights and would likely encounter many of the same difficulties that prevent them from offering expansion packs for many popular titles in their catalog.
Yes in some cases they may well have to, but I am sure there are several games out there, in particular new indie titles where they could easily just do that. In fact I am sure many dev studios wish the GoG versions of their games wasn't inferior.
Post edited November 23, 2012 by Kristian
Snickersnack: I don't think it's practical to make everyone happy. GOG is a small company. Are there really enough Linux exclusive gamers to warrant special attention?
Fenixp: Look at HiB sales, pretty much any of them. It's probably the best way to get idea of just how strong the Linux market can be in comparison with Mac and Windows (there's usually just sliightly less Linux buyers than there's Mac buyers, and Linux users pay by far the most of the three.) Basically, do you really think Steam would get ported to Linux if there wasn't money to be made there?

edit: Actually, Link. Doesn't seem like a market that's just safe to ignore, does it?
I'm lazy today. How much have Linux contributions been worth since Humble Bundle 1?

The Steam Linux port was not announced until after the first appearance of the Win8 store. I don't think Gaben is after a huge unexploited market so much as he's hedging his bets should Microsoft suddenly become competent in DD. If Steam is to be truly successful on Linux I honestly believe valve is going to need many of it's present Windows gamers to switch operating systems.
Snickersnack: I'm lazy today. How much have Linux contributions been worth since Humble Bundle 1?
Why would you think I'm not lazy? Suffice to say that in every bundle, Linux users paid double of what Windows users did, and except for a few instances, there were as many / more Linux buyers than Mac ones. It's definitely not 5% or whatever, more like between 15 - 20%, and that's not counting android bundles (for obvious reasons.)
Here is an example where a remastered version of a game comes with the original as a bonus: http://www.gog.com/gamecard/broken_sword_2__the_smoking_mirror

You could just as easily have "Linux binaries" or "Linux installer" being a bonus like that. Where that is possible. That is the modest proposal suggest by myself and others.

Edit:

Like I have said before such an item could easily have a notice saying that it is an unsupported extra.
Post edited November 23, 2012 by Kristian
SLP2000: The problem with adding games that have a native Linux support already is not that easy, as it looks like from our side of the screen.

It's about consistency - they can't say "ok, so we are not supporting Linux, but we offer you some files provided by the devs. You can download and see if they work".

It's not how you do bussiness, it's not how you should do bussiness, it's not how GOG say they want do their bussiness. They try to take some responsibility for their games - and they are pretty successful with it so far. They shouldn't change it just to please Linux users.

Also, you forget that one of their rule is that they care about the support, so the devs (or IP holders) don't have to worry about that. Again, they would have to sign a game and say "ok, so we take care about PC and Mac compatibility, but if our customer can't run the game on Linux, you will have to provide a solution". That's impossible, and even if it was, then there's the problem if the dev says "I can't fix it, sorry".
If consistency is an argument then GOG is in a bind. On one hand they want to provide personal service support for their products and Linux is difficult on that end. On the other hand there is such a thing as consistency within the market and on that note GOG is bumbling around behind the pack, while refusing to even attempt to offer existing solutions that is somewhat frustrating in todays climate. We also have a problem with the numbers seeing that they are willing to "Waste their time" (an assertion I am not sure I appreciate) in providing a Mac initiative that by the numbers caters to a largely gaming apathetic crowd compared to the Linux crowd. Their newfound support of macs actually makes it harder to understand.

Linux is a minor market, and at one time I thought it was something that could be dismissed, but in light of mac initiative, and in light that just about every other distributor is offering some kind of Linux support, It has become hard to maintain that position I once held.

GOG has publicly stated that it is something they have talked about internally, and that it could come down the line, but it also may not happen. Thats all we really know, but every time people talk about it someone comes sweeping in to tell everyone of the challenges GOG faces in providing such support as if they were on the team. Truth is it is all speculation. We don't know what their business is like or what their plans are, or even a fraction of what they think about. All we know is what we would like to see, and what we see other companies offering.

To that there is nothing wrong with us saying we want that thing over there too. Just like there is nothing wrong with them saying no. Its their business and its up to them how to run it. Maybe they will do it some kind of right, and maybe it will be some kind of wrong or a mix. We still are going to suggest that if they offer linux support that it will make choosing GOG as a source easier. I will leave it up to them if its worth the coin or not. I don't want to pressure them unfairly to do something just because I would like it, but I also don't want to go around theorizing as to why they shouldn't do it, and make them feel like its perfectly OK not to even try.
Post edited November 23, 2012 by gooberking