It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Swistaku: Anyone know when exactly linux games will be available at gog?
skeletonbow: GOG has not announced an exact date, just something along the lines of "late fall" or words to that effect which could mean sometime in November or December but that wasn't stated as a guaranteed promise or anything so it could be September or it could be next March for all we know. Their words gave me a "November" vibe personally but that's my own conjecture.
Did they say late fall? I thought they only mentioned fall.
Kristian: Did they say late fall? I thought they only mentioned fall.
No late fall. Just plain fall.

" We've only been working on bringing these Linux games to our service for a few months, and there's lots more to go, but we wanted to let you know what's going to be coming this fall to a digital distributor near you. "
Unfortunately I don't have a reference handy so I can't be 100% certain but that's what my memory seems to recall. If they release it sooner than I'm expecting though well... that's even better right? :)
skeletonbow: Unfortunately I don't have a reference handy so I can't be 100% certain but that's what my memory seems to recall. If they release it sooner than I'm expecting though well... that's even better right? :)
Indeed it is!
Woops, wrong thread.
Post edited June 22, 2014 by JohnnyDollar
Daliz: ^ Those are quite easy to run with Wine so if GOG will do Wine packaging, BG-series should be the first ones I think (being that popular).
Future_Suture: What did GOG do to get them running on Mac OS? Or do all these titles exist for Mac OS natively?
AFAIK the Mac games on GOG come in a number of categories:

1. Already existing Mac ports that GOG have gained the rights to distribute.
2. Dosbox and ScummVM games.
3. Games wrapped in Wine or the like.

I bet it will be basically the same when they add Linux support.
Just A Friendly Reminder: Don't Buy A Game Until It Is Officially On Linux. Makes sense.
How exactly would they count such purchases on GOG? Humble Bundle for example asks users explicitly to set such preference (i.e. what's their preferred OS). Steam's snooping way of checking that is not really good.

I hope such deals which say: "developers get paid only if users bought the Linux version" don't need to translate into "you need to have DRM to determine that". But I suspect they would, so such cases won't appear DRM-free.
Post edited June 24, 2014 by shmerl
shmerl: How exactly would they count such purchases on GOG? Humble Bundle for example asks users explicitly to set such preference (i.e. what's their preferred OS). Steam's snooping way of checking that is not really good.

I hope such deals which say: "developers get paid only if users bough the Linux version" don't need to translate into "you need to have DRM to determine that". But I suspect they would, so such cases won't appear DRM-free.
Perhaps they can count downloads?
shmerl: How exactly would they count such purchases on GOG? Humble Bundle for example asks users explicitly to set such preference (i.e. what's their preferred OS). Steam's snooping way of checking that is not really good.

I hope such deals which say: "developers get paid only if users bough the Linux version" don't need to translate into "you need to have DRM to determine that". But I suspect they would, so such cases won't appear DRM-free.
hummer010: Perhaps they can count downloads?
Downloads of Linux versions? That's doable, if that would satisfy those who make such deals of course.
hummer010: Perhaps they can count downloads?
shmerl: Downloads of Linux versions? That's doable, if that would satisfy those who make such deals of course.
It may not be satisfactory too. Some users may download more than one OS version of a game. How would you allocate that?
shmerl: Downloads of Linux versions? That's doable, if that would satisfy those who make such deals of course.
hummer010: It may not be satisfactory too. Some users may download more than one OS version of a game. How would you allocate that?
I guess it depends on the details of that deal. It can say if users "only play Linux version", or "if they play Linux version". Though I think the former condition is unlikely.
Unlike Steam, GOG.com doesn't monitor what we do with our files after the download.
I don't think they can report anything else than the downloads count for different platforms.
vv221: Unlike Steam, GOG.com doesn't monitor what we do with our files after the download.
I don't think they can report anything else than the downloads count for different platforms.
Users can explicitly mark what versions they want to play, or simply globally set their common OS of preference (Humble Bundle uses that method). Since downloading is somewhat disconnected from actual playing.
GamingOnLinux Interviews Feral Interactive About XCOM & Linux Game Development. shaddim will most likely blow a fuse over this. CD Projekt RED, take note. This is how it's done. Feral and Aspyr FTW.