It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Future_Suture: Civilization 5 is now on Linux. It launching on Linux just makes me annoyed about The WItcher 2: Assassins of Kings again. Much like Trine and Limbo, Civilization 5 is an older game than the second title in The Witcher series, and yet...
shaddim: Annoyed? Who you are to "demand" your prefered style of porting as only true way? Maybe you should offer your perfect native linux porting services to the game developers who try already their best.... :(

Recently, there was excatcly a reddit thread about this ugly behaviour which give the whole linux gaming community bad credit : [url=http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/26bag0/as_a_community_can_we_stop_having_an_attitude_of/ ]As a community, can we stop having an attitude of "Give me everything or give me nothing"?[/url]
While I think the Witcher 2 port is too new to count out yet, and that he should be willing to give it a few more weeks to see if some improvement can be made, you personally have been pitching wine wraps as "seeing the light," .and maybe even misrepresenting what others are saying to give credence to your personal preference, so the idea that your so readily hopping on someone else for doing something similar seems in bad taste.

If you want to continue to advocate an unpopular opinion (contextually) then fine, but lets leave the "how dare you" attitude out of the thread. It leads to nothing but the kind of fighting that gets threads closed, and I don't think anyone frequenting the thread wants that to happen. I realize I'm risking flare up here, but we should be able to voice our opinions without anyone wrestling for the moral high ground. It's Linux gaming - there is no high ground.
shaddim: Annoyed? Who you are to "demand" your prefered style of porting as only true way? Maybe you should offer your perfect native linux porting services to the game developers who try already their best.... :(

Recently, there was excatcly a reddit thread about this ugly behaviour which give the whole linux gaming community bad credit : [url=http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/26bag0/as_a_community_can_we_stop_having_an_attitude_of/ ]As a community, can we stop having an attitude of "Give me everything or give me nothing"?[/url]
gooberking: While I think the Witcher 2 port is too new to count out yet, and that he should be willing to give it a few more weeks to see if some improvement can be made, you personally have been pitching wine wraps as "seeing the light," .and maybe even misrepresenting what others are saying to give credence to your personal preference, so the idea that your so readily hopping on someone else for doing something similar seems in bad taste.

If you want to continue to advocate an unpopular opinion (contextually) then fine, but lets leave the "how dare you" attitude out of the thread. It leads to nothing but the kind of fighting that gets threads closed, and I don't think anyone frequenting the thread wants that to happen. I realize I'm risking flare up here, but we should be able to voice our opinions without anyone wrestling for the moral high ground. It's Linux gaming - there is no high ground.
Infact, I'm arguing for pragmatism and realism. The attitude, "we demand to be taken serious because we are elite and have the superior platform" is the attitude which prevented the progress of linux in the last 2 decades.

More modest interaction... being aware of strengthes but also weaknesses of the linux ecosystem... and more acceptance and openess for requirements and justified needs of new developers and users who come mostly from the successfull majority platforms. These people are curious and open but not stupid and have therefore justified reasons for doing things in their own flavour. The demand of some linux proponents "our way or the highway, we know best!", despite being a insignificant platform with a problematic architecture and infrastructure, is very arrogant and will potentially alienate these people and will break the current postiive trend in direction an open source platform (again!).
Post edited June 12, 2014 by shaddim
If anyone is interested, Neverhood is now playable in ScummVM! Actually for quite some time already but I just found it out :) It's good especially since latest Linux kernels (3.14+) made Neverhood unplayable in Wine. But it runs in ScummVM daily build. At least I started the game without issues (but didn't finish it yet).
I own Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate 2, Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale 2, Divine Divinity, Fallout, Fallout 2, and Fallout Tactics through GOG but haven't actually played them yet. Seeing as how they are available for Mac OS, will they be available for Linux as well? It would be great to finally play these games and gift them to fellow Linux users as well.
^ Those are quite easy to run with Wine so if GOG will do Wine packaging, BG-series should be the first ones I think (being that popular).
Daliz: ^ Those are quite easy to run with Wine so if GOG will do Wine packaging, BG-series should be the first ones I think (being that popular).
What did GOG do to get them running on Mac OS? Or do all these titles exist for Mac OS natively?
Daliz: ^ Those are quite easy to run with Wine so if GOG will do Wine packaging, BG-series should be the first ones I think (being that popular).
Future_Suture: What did GOG do to get them running on Mac OS? Or do all these titles exist for Mac OS natively?
I remember reading some of GOG's Mac-compatible games are made by packaging Wine-based software with the game. Exactly the same thing could be done in Linux.

Also, old Mac-games do not work on modern Macs since the old ones were PowerPC based IIRC.
Daliz: Also, old Mac-games do not work on modern Macs since the old ones were PowerPC based IIRC.
And several - like Baldur's Gate - didn't even run natively on OS X, making it impossible to run even on 10.6, which did have the "Rosetta" PowerPC emulation layer (it was removed in 10.7).
Post edited June 21, 2014 by Maighstir
With all those summer sale bargains... you can't even imagine how much I crave for Linux support at GoG.
I'd probably buy the rest of the whole GoG catalogue.
Future_Suture: Civilization 5 is now on Linux. It launching on Linux just makes me annoyed about The WItcher 2: Assassins of Kings again. Much like Trine and Limbo, Civilization 5 is an older game than the second title in The Witcher series, and yet...

Yes, some of the Linux users did react badly. However, there is no excusing the poor quality Linux "port" of the Witcher 2 though....
Post edited June 21, 2014 by king_mosiah
Klumpen0815: With all those summer sale bargains... you can't even imagine how much I crave for Linux support at GoG.
Yeah. I haven't bought anything - I'm counting on GOG to do a nice Linux launch sale :)
Post edited June 22, 2014 by Daliz
Klumpen0815: With all those summer sale bargains... you can't even imagine how much I crave for Linux support at GoG.
Daliz: Yeah. I haven't bought anything - I'm counting on GOG to do a nice Linux launch sale :)
Same here, I didn't buy on GOG lately - waiting for the Linux launch :)
Anyone know when exactly linux games will be available at gog?
Swistaku: Anyone know when exactly linux games will be available at gog?
A rough estimate is on Autumn.
Swistaku: Anyone know when exactly linux games will be available at gog?
GOG has not announced an exact date, just something along the lines of "late fall" or words to that effect which could mean sometime in November or December but that wasn't stated as a guaranteed promise or anything so it could be September or it could be next March for all we know. Their words gave me a "November" vibe personally but that's my own conjecture.