It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

king_mosiah: It's not as uncommon as it used to be. All the ISP providers in my area have caps no higher than 400GB....
400GB?!? I wish - mine cap is 70GB. For another $20 a month, I could bump it to 100GB.
shmerl: Data caps are really nasty. Usually mobile ISPs have them. But landline ones normally don't use caps. If they do it's a sign of some very bad market (since they have no reason to use caps besides ripping users off). And even with mobile ISPs caps is a very questionable practice.
king_mosiah: It's not as uncommon as it used to be. All the ISP providers in my area have caps no higher than 400GB....
That's a pure rip off. Can you complain to your city council or anything? ISPs have no valid reason to ever use caps. They pay not for the amount of traffic to higher level providers but for the bandwidth of the channel. So setting caps to users is simply swindling them.

In my area there are two major competing landline ISPs and none of them have caps.
Post edited January 18, 2015 by shmerl
shmerl: That's a pure rip off. Can you complain to your city council or anything? ISPs have no valid reason to ever use caps. They pay not for the amount of traffic to higher level providers but for the bandwidth of the channel. So setting caps to users is simply swindling them.

In my area there are two major competing landline ISPs and none of them have caps.
Our council is more concerned with important things like "city beautification" than dealing with scummy business practices. And given that most of them are over the age of sixty I doubt they would even understand the problem,
Post edited January 18, 2015 by king_mosiah
hummer010: 400GB?!? I wish - mine cap is 70GB. For another $20 a month, I could bump it to 100GB.
Is a smaller ISP like TekSavvy available in your area? I've got DSL from them via GAS (the legislated requirement that Bell lease DSL circuits at flat rates to any business willing to pay) and it's flat-rate at a comparable price.
I see that Lords of Xulima was released on GOG. But where is the Linux version? Didn't their Kickstarter campaign plan it as well? Or it's another delayed Linux release?
Nope. I live in a rural area with a single fixed wireless ISP. I have one choice, and they have data caps.

When we first moved in, it was nothing but dial up, so I'm still OK with my fixed wireless, despite the cap.
Looks like the Linux version is coming later this month,
Post edited January 18, 2015 by shmerl
hummer010: Nope. I live in a rural area with a single fixed wireless ISP. I have one choice, and they have data caps.

When we first moved in, it was nothing but dial up, so I'm still OK with my fixed wireless, despite the cap.
Ahh, yeah. Fixed wireless. I'm very lucky that there's a Bell building in our little 300 pop. hamlet, so I can get 5Mbit/800Kbit flat-rate DSL.
Post edited January 18, 2015 by ssokolow
ssokolow: Ahh, yeah. Fixed wireless. I'm very lucky that there's a Bell building in our little 300 pop. hamlet, so I can get 5Mbit/800Kbit flat-rate DSL.
Is anyone making fiber optics in your city?
hummer010: Nope. I live in a rural area with a single fixed wireless ISP. I have one choice, and they have data caps.

ssokolow: Ahh, yeah. Fixed wireless. I'm very lucky that there's a Bell building in our little 300 pop. hamlet, so I can get 5Mbit/800Kbit flat-rate DSL.
I'm 15k out of town. When we lived in town I had DSL. The first year we lived here was 56k dial up, then we spent three years on Xplornet satellite internet, which was awful, and now fixed wireless, which , when compared to the dial up and satellite, is fantastic.

When we had the dial up (2008), I used to tether my BlackBerry a lot. It was pretty fast, but I was limited to 1 GB of traffic.
Post edited January 18, 2015 by hummer010
shmerl: Is anyone making fiber optics in your city?
We're three subdivisions in the middle of nowhere next to a ski hill and Bell Canada loves to drag its heels on infrastructure upgrades. (I think they retired their last first-generation automatic phone switch in the 1980s and their techs talk of "try different wires until you find one that hasn't rotted" as standard practice for fixing last mile phone service.)

DSL is the only type of wired connection available here and the whole reason we're still limited to 5Mbit/800Kbit is because Bell has a policy that you can't get a DSL link faster than that until they upgrade the trunk to the Bell building from copper to fiber.
Post edited January 18, 2015 by ssokolow
Shadow Warrior is being ported to Linux: http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articles/shadow-warrior-looks-like-it-will-come-to-linux.4859
I was just about to play Shadow Warrior with Wine.. guess I'll wait for the native then :)
Daliz: I was just about to play Shadow Warrior with Wine.. guess I'll wait for the native then :)
It works very well in Wine though.
Daliz: I was just about to play Shadow Warrior with Wine.. guess I'll wait for the native then :)
shmerl: It works very well in Wine though.
Good to see that Devolver is bringing all their games to linux!