It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

silviucc: So it looks like TW3 is going to be on SteamOS which means us Linux hippies should also get to enjoy it.
What is the source of that image? Is it true or fake?

UPDATE: It's on the front Steam page.
Post edited June 07, 2014 by shmerl
w00t, Valve, w00t open source graphics drivers.
I would like to find out a bit more on what this means, and what the implications are in human speak. Specifically how far off the improvements would be, who has to do what work to make it work, and if it automatically benefits all applications in a transparent way? Who gets it and who doesn't? That sort of thing.

Pretty cool info.
It's good to see Valve contributing to drivers and OpenGL. May be they can push for better OpenGL 5 as well.
New Game Benchmarks With AMD's FOSS Driver. Things are looking up for AMD's open source driver!
Future_Suture: New Game Benchmarks With AMD's FOSS Driver. Things are looking up for AMD's open source driver!
Thanks for that read.
I've got to say that I've been using the mesa driver for quite some time on my Radeon system and it really gets better and better. Catalyst is - imo - still a huge failure in many regards but no need for it if Mesa keeps improving that way.
shmerl: It's good to see Valve contributing to drivers and OpenGL. May be they can push for better OpenGL 5 as well.
Chronos needs to drop some of it's backwards compatibility and start taking documentation seriously. Until then, OpenGL probably won't improve much, unless developers continue to find new workarounds or "discover" undocumented "features"
Civilization 5 is now on Linux. It launching on Linux just makes me annoyed about The WItcher 2: Assassins of Kings again. Much like Trine and Limbo, Civilization 5 is an older game than the second title in The Witcher series, and yet...
Future_Suture: Civilization 5 is now on Linux. It launching on Linux just makes me annoyed about The WItcher 2: Assassins of Kings again. Much like Trine and Limbo, Civilization 5 is an older game than the second title in The Witcher series, and yet...
Annoyed? Who you are to "demand" your prefered style of porting as only true way? Maybe you should offer your perfect native linux porting services to the game developers who try already their best.... :(

Recently, there was excatcly a reddit thread about this ugly behaviour which give the whole linux gaming community bad credit : [url=http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/26bag0/as_a_community_can_we_stop_having_an_attitude_of/ ]As a community, can we stop having an attitude of "Give me everything or give me nothing"?[/url]
Future_Suture: Civilization 5 is now on Linux. It launching on Linux just makes me annoyed about The WItcher 2: Assassins of Kings again. Much like Trine and Limbo, Civilization 5 is an older game than the second title in The Witcher series, and yet...
shaddim: Annoyed? Who you are to "demand" your prefered style of porting as only true way? Maybe you should offer your perfect native linux porting services to the game developers who try already their best.... :(

Recently, there was excatcly a reddit thread about this ugly behaviour which give the whole linux gaming community bad credit : [url=http://www.reddit.com/r/linux_gaming/comments/26bag0/as_a_community_can_we_stop_having_an_attitude_of/ ]As a community, can we stop having an attitude of "Give me everything or give me nothing"?[/url]
I, and the many others, are the customers who paid for the product and are getting poor or even extremely poor performance on cards like Nvidia GeForce GTX 770s, 780s, and Titans. There has been plenty of uproar about this and with titles like the previously mentioned ones receiving native ports years after launching (they are older than The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings) and working rather fine from the looks of it, who are you not to let paying customers complain when purchased items deliver unbearable performance. It feels like the item wasn't even tested, just thrown on the market to be sold for cheap. Now, I do not agree with insulting the developer team behind this shoddy port, but marking them as immune to criticism would be even more foolish.
shaddim: Annoyed? Who you are to "demand" your prefered style of porting as only true way? Maybe you should offer your perfect native linux porting services to the game developers who try already their best.... :(

Future_Suture: I, and the many others, are the customers who paid for the product and are getting poor or even extremely poor performance on cards like Nvidia GeForce GTX 770s, 780s, and Titans. There has been plenty of uproar about this and with titles like the previously mentioned ones receiving native ports years after launching (they are older than The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings) and working rather fine from the looks of it, who are you not to let paying customers complain when purchased items deliver unbearable performance. It feels like the item wasn't even tested, just thrown on the market to be sold for cheap. Now, I do not agree with insulting the developer team behind this shoddy port, but marking them as immune to criticism would be even more foolish.
Bark at the right tree... the linux ecosystem is known for missing stable platform capabilities since...always. And this is mostly due to ecosystem inherent characteristics and not because of the shoddy or lazy (game) developers or hw companies. As platform, linux still sucks on too many levels, therefore problematic and strang behaving ports are to expect and is nothing what developers could be blamed for..

And as last note: game developers get paid for a game (and not ports), that is what normal game developers like to do with their time, making games (not porting to complicated platforms... only Icculus +3 others like this work). If you play your game under a reasonable to support platform you get the intended experience and a reasonable performance for your paid money.
Post edited June 11, 2014 by shaddim
Future_Suture: I, and the many others, are the customers who paid for the product and are getting poor or even extremely poor performance on cards like Nvidia GeForce GTX 770s, 780s, and Titans. There has been plenty of uproar about this and with titles like the previously mentioned ones receiving native ports years after launching (they are older than The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings) and working rather fine from the looks of it, who are you not to let paying customers complain when purchased items deliver unbearable performance. It feels like the item wasn't even tested, just thrown on the market to be sold for cheap. Now, I do not agree with insulting the developer team behind this shoddy port, but marking them as immune to criticism would be even more foolish.
shaddim: Bark at the right tree... the linux ecosystem is known for missing stable platform capabilities since...always. And this is mostly due to ecosystem inherent characteristics and not because of the shoddy or lazy (game) developers or hw companies. As platform, linux still sucks on too many levels, therefore problematic and strang behaving ports are to expect and is nothing what developers could be blamed for..

And as last note: game developers get paid for a game (and not ports), that is what normal game developers like to do with their time, making games (not porting to complicated platforms... only Icculus +3 others like this work). If you play your game under a reasonable to support platform you get the intended experience and a reasonable performance for your paid money.
I know where discussions with you usually lead to as I have read many of your comments so I won't respond to you after this, but when no other developer to my knowledge has created a wrapping job as bad as The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings (it runs worse than just running the game in Wine for many), your point becomes pretty mute. That's all. Bis die Tage, alter Knabe.
Linux developers of the Witcher 2 are at least willing to work on improving the port. A lot of releases happen as "throw behind your back" kind of ports with no follow ups. So kudos to Virtual Programming and CD Projekt Red.

See https://github.com/KillaW0lf04/The-Witcher-2-Issues/issues
Post edited June 11, 2014 by shmerl
Aspyr, the porting house that brought Civilization 5 to Linux, is doing an Ask Me Almost Anything on Reddit in /r/linux_gaming. Very interesting! This post regarding The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings is especially attention grabbing.
Nice to see them saying that native porting is the way ;)