It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Wolfy777:
Tistonic: if it's your first time or getting used to the kitchen stuff/cooking/etc, it can be tough since u have no clue what to do, just like any other places, if the cooking is your parent doing and your helping, asking how to cut it shouldn't be odd, if your doing for yourself with parent help, u could randomly cut it

sometimes people need extra time to think before doing things, tho some people tend to rush
Glad to know I'm not the only one that's "strange" (heavy emphasis on the quotation marks). ;)

Just about anything I do goes by "precision before speed", I'm somewhat slower than average, but I'm incredibly precise.
So I'd definitely fall into the "think before you leap" group.

I'm even slower with anything that involves working with your hands and hand-eye coordination (various cooking skills fit here too).
With cooking specifically I might be too technical.
I always want to know what effect something will have, why is it efficient to do task X in way Z, ... Basically, questions like these down to the finest details if possible.
However, most often my mom will answer along the lines of: "Well, it's how my mother taught me to do it." and to me, that sounds the same as "just because". And it may cause tension sometimes.

So far going by a compromise of I find new recipes to try and either she makes them or help a bit (due to the difference in our skill levels she's far faster than me). The most entertaining part is figuring out how to "tune" the original recipe so it suits me.

To her just about any food is good, but I'm different.

I can't take really strong tastes and I pick up on food being "spicy" even if very little spices were used.
Or when my mom cooks mushrooms I'll stay clear of the ground floor until the (to me awful) smell is gone.
Plus I get scared out seeing a big portion on my plate.
Ever since I've been small I've almost never mixed food while eating (things like sandwiches or something combined with a sauce excluded). E.g. There's potato and meat on the plate, first I'll eat all of the potato then I'll eat the meat.
Themken: An apology: Sorry but I tend to talk way too much about myself but this might not be related, not sure. At least I can listen and talk about others too unlike some who are truly full of themselves and only themselves.
*points to her own posts* XD
You're fine. :)
Post edited September 28, 2018 by Wolfy777
Wolfy777: *The first time I heard the expression that actually was my reaction. XD
I think the English equivalent is "to steam" food and it's a lot more transparent than the word my mom used in Slovene "dušenje" which means "to strangle" if taken literally, which I'm somewhat prone to do.
If it's any comfort, same words are used in czech. Strangled meat, strangled veggies... dušené hovězí v mrkvi (strangled beef in carrot... hmm... now I'm making myself hungry :)

Anyway, this thread made me think. Maybe my friend's problem indeed is undiagnosed autism. My private "diagnosis" came when I couldn't explain their behavior in any rational way and went to read about mental disorders. It was closest match, but my searches never even mentioned autism, until now I wasn't thinking of such possibility. For example, I did notice the inability to look me directly in the eyes someone mentioned earlier in the thread - their eyes start to shift from left to right with high frequency, never straight.

I'll have to think hard on this. I don't think I'll have more than one chance to try and make them visit professional help, and suspicion of autism may be more acceptable reason (if facts support it, I'm not going to make up stuff just for the sake of it). At least it carries less stigma than other possibilities. You may have helped a stranger or two here... time will tell.
Wolfy777: *The first time I heard the expression that actually was my reaction. XD
I think the English equivalent is "to steam" food and it's a lot more transparent than the word my mom used in Slovene "dušenje" which means "to strangle" if taken literally, which I'm somewhat prone to do.
huan: If it's any comfort, same words are used in czech. Strangled meat, strangled veggies... dušené hovězí v mrkvi (strangled beef in carrot... hmm... now I'm making myself hungry :)

You may have helped a stranger or two here... time will tell.
Thank you, it was fun and interesting. *inner linguist beaming* :D

I'm glad it made people think and if I've helped at the same time great. :)

I'm not sure if that's the case with every attempt to diagnose if someone's autistic or not, but in my case m parents and I were more or less just asked some questions about my behavior, reactions and such (I'm not sure if the fact that I was diagnosed fairly late had an impact or not).
No blood samples or anything like that (I don't have a problem with needles, but one of my friends may faint).

My parents could answer questions about times I can't remember (e.g. some things went as far as the time when I was under 4, which I definitely don't remember), but most questions were for me directly.

P.S. I'm not entirely sure to what mental state you were referring to in your first post. I've only heard of borderline personality disorder, people being bipolar and paranoia, but not of a paranoid personality disorder; though I admititly never looked into those topics in depth.
Spectre: Satire?
Wolfy777: Judging by other replys, they actually meant it.
Well, he might be on to something. According to the new Predator movie autism is the next step in our evolution and is basically equivalent with mental superpowers, which is why the story revolves around a Predator trying to abduct an autistic kid to harness his DNA to make a race of autistic Predators.
Post edited September 28, 2018 by Breja
Breja: the new Predator movie
you actually went out and saw that piece of shit?

I feel so betrayed. :P
Post edited September 28, 2018 by tinyE
Breja: Well, he might be on to something. According to the new Predator movie autism is the next step in our evolution and is basically equivalent with mental superpowers, which is why the story revolves around a Predator trying to abduct an autistic kid to harness his DNA to make a race of autistic Predators.
Forgive me if I don't see movies as a credible source of information. :P

I may do great with words and somewhat bad with numbers, but that doesn't make me the next Shakespeare (not the best comparison, but it's the best I could think of).

Not everyone in the spectrum also has Savant syndrome.

These guys were awesome and funny at the same time.
The "superpower" stereotype is covered about 40 seconds in the video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d69tTXOvRq4
Breja: the new Predator movie
tinyE: you actually went out and saw that piece of shit?

I guess I'm stupid, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite as terrible as it turned out. It was so bad we went to see The Meg right after to cheer up and try to forget it.
Breja: Well, he might be on to something. According to the new Predator movie autism is the next step in our evolution and is basically equivalent with mental superpowers, which is why the story revolves around a Predator trying to abduct an autistic kid to harness his DNA to make a race of autistic Predators.
Wolfy777: Forgive me if I don't see movies as a credible source of information. :P
I'm not suggesting you should, I'm making fun of how stupid the plot of the movie is :D
Post edited September 28, 2018 by Breja
tinyE: you actually went out and saw that piece of shit?

Breja: I guess I'm stupid, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite as terrible as it turned out. It was so bad we went to see The Meg right after to cheer up and try to forget it.
Wolfy777: Forgive me if I don't see movies as a credible source of information. :P
Breja: I'm not suggesting you should, I'm making fun of how stupid the plot of the movie is :D
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for pointing out it was a joke. :)

Autism can make you miss some implied signs and lead you into thinking something was meant seriously, while it's really not.
Wolfy777: I'm even slower with anything that involves working with your hands and hand-eye coordination (various cooking skills fit here too).

I can't take really strong tastes and I pick up on food being "spicy" even if very little spices were used.
Or when my mom cooks mushrooms I'll stay clear of the ground floor until the (to me awful) smell is gone.
Plus I get scared out seeing a big portion on my plate.
Ever since I've been small I've almost never mixed food while eating (things like sandwiches or something combined with a sauce excluded). E.g. There's potato and meat on the plate, first I'll eat all of the potato then I'll eat the meat.
that effect every1 i'm sure of, hand-eye coordination

every body system is different, so it's not that bad of a thing, it's how your body react

i've heard people who did the same thing on there plate of food, not liking it be mixed and later on they gave mixing it a try, there r people who don't like sauce on anything or something/sometime

i think most parent gave their kid/'s big portion to help them grow(believing it helps i think it was)
Breja: I guess I'm stupid, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite as terrible as it turned out. It was so bad we went to see The Meg right after to cheer up and try to forget it.

I'm not suggesting you should, I'm making fun of how stupid the plot of the movie is :D
Wolfy777: Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for pointing out it was a joke. :)

Autism can make you miss some implied signs and lead you into thinking something was meant seriously, while it's really not.
If that's true then at least 90% of the posters here have autism.
Wolfy777: Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for pointing out it was a joke. :)

Emob78: If that's true then at least 90% of the posters here have autism.
Let me put it like this: on a forum or any other platform where you only get text, it's easy to misunderstand people (you only see what was said, but not the how).

Autistic people have the same problem with face to face encouters because we can and are more prone to miss or misinterprait some obvious or implied signs that someone outside of the spectrum would pick up on (e.g. gestures, facial expressions, tone of voice and such).
TBH with you I'm often sure when you're being serious or when you're sarcastic. And I'm usually pretty good with that. The problem is that there are enough nut jobs around who actually mean it.
toxicTom: TBH with you I'm often sure when you're being serious or when you're sarcastic. And I'm usually pretty good with that. The problem is that there are enough nut jobs around who actually mean it.
Both.
Wolfy777: Hello.

I've researched various articles about autism over the net and while all of them were informative, there was always one point I missed: "What do people outside of the autistic spectrum think of autistic people?"

I'm hoping to get opinions here.

Given that I'm opening this thread I'd like to establish some rules (and answer some genral questions) - in questions and answers form:

0 Q: What if I don't want to talk about autism?

A: Feel free to ignore this thread and have a nice day. :)

1 Q: Are negative opinions allowed?

A: Of course!
You are entitled to whatever your opinion might be, just refrain from being outright hostile and/or insulting.

I know this isn't a direct example and more of an analogy, but it's the best I can think of at the moment.

Bad: "Whites are just oppressive motherf... *insult censoring beep*!"

Good: "I dislike white people because they oppress people of other races."

In the good example an opinion is expressed and explained, while the bad one is basically name calling.

What I'm looking for is a constructive discussion, not a toxic thread.
If all you want to do is vent out rage, look for another thread.

P.S. Sorry about resorting to racism, but it's easier to illustrate the point with such clear-cut examples and obviously those are just examples and not my actual opinion.

2 Q: It sounded like you only want to hear from people outside of the spectrum. What if I'm in the spectrum?

A: I knew I couldn't be the only one, yay. :D
Ahem, anyone's free to join the discussion regardless of being in the spectrum or not.

3 Q: Are you autistic?

A: Yes, unless Asperger's syndrome was removed from the spectrum when I wasn't looking. ;)
However, I won't judge anyone's answer because of it.

4 Q: Do we have to share our personal experience?

A: Not if you don't to.
If that's the case, make sure plainly state it so I'll know to keep my curiosity at bay.

5 Q: Em, I don't really know much about autism. May I ask about it or what's it like for you?

A: By all means, please do. :)

I don't have a problem talking about my experience and I'd be happy to answer any questions you might have (though I'm by no means an expert on the topic).

Just keep in mind autism is a spectrum and varies from individual to individual (what applies to me outside of some general things might not apply to someone else on the spectrum) and not everyone might want to talk about it.

Anyway, Wikipedia should be a good starting point for a general idea.
Link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism

For a short version, check out the Autism piece of the Real Monsters art series by Toby Allen (AKA ZestyDoesThings).
Link: http://www.zestydoesthings.com/realmonsters/image/16

I know of a great deal of other material, but I don't want to bury the first post in links.
If you want more research material feel free to ask. :)

6 Q: Are autism and Asperger's syndrome the same?

A: No, Asperger's syndrome is a type of autism near the beginning of the spectrum, a "lighter" form of it to put it simply.

7 Q: Should I call you an "aspie/aspy"?

A: I know some with Asperger's syndrome like that term, but I personally dislike so please don't address me with it.

8 Q: If there were a "cure" for your condition, would you want it?

A: NO!

First: autism is a lifelong condition so it can't just be removed or "cured", however, autistic people can learn to "blend in" to a point.

Second: keep in mind a lot of people (including me) consider autism to be a part of their identity similarly to how someone might consider their religion or nationality to be a part of them.

While my condition makes me more likely to come across as strange or awkward in social interactions I consider it to be an asset rather than a curse.

9. Q: Can you recognise retorical questions?

A: While it's not impossible for me to spot one, I'd appreciate that you make it known you're not actually looking for an answer.
In general reading between the lines has never been my strong suit. XD

10 Q: Why are you making this thread?

A: Just because I'm curious.
There's no agenda behind it, though if I manage to slay some stereotypes while I'm at it that'd be awesome. ;)

A word of warning: I tend to dig deep when my curiosity is aroused if I'm overdoing it, tell me and I'll do my best to stop.

That should cover it. If the QA section is missing something, tell me and I'll add it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- --------------------------------------

*sighs* I was naive to hope it wouldn't happen.
However it did, so I'm adding another rule - in imperative form this time.

Don't downvote people over anything in this topic!

If you disagree, talk it over with arguments, but do everything you can not to turn it into a fight.

Like I said before, what I'm looking for is a disscussion not a toxic thread.
autism is the only mental illness used as a damn punchline, a joke, I see it as a life without parole sentence in the beforelife. Weaponized autism, its the only illness people can make fun of and get away with, because its one you cant physically see and its been used as case law for someone getting away with murder (not guilty), no joke
Post edited September 29, 2018 by smrtgi19
Wolfy777: <snip>
smrtgi19: autism is the only mental illness used as a damn punchline, a joke, I see it as a life without parole sentence in the beforelife. Weaponized autism, its the only illness people can make fun of and get away with, because its one you cant physically see and its been used as case law for someone getting away with murder (not guilty), no joke
No connection found whatsoever. XD
What on Earth is "weaponized autism"?
*so confused*