It seems that you're using an outdated browser. Some things may not work as they should (or don't work at all).
We suggest you upgrade newer and better browser like: Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer or Opera

Nobake: Whenever you get around to this overhaul, I'd like some things to stay the same. I'm a big fan of the simple appearance of the forums. No flashy themes, no garish banners, no egregious abuse of signatures (because they aren't supported). In particular, if you do decide to add support for signatures, please do not allow images in them or at the very least make very restrictive size limits. Very little is more aggravating than browsing a forum with screen-long signatures with flashing gifs and whatnot.
I totally agree with this. Also it's the only gaming forum that I can browse at work without people noticing at first glance that I'm not looking into some software development forum.
Nobake: ----------------------------------

Very little is more aggravating than browsing a forum with screen-long signatures with flashing gifs and whatnot.
tinyE: Are you saying you don't want it to look like Vegas? :P
I for one totally agree with you.
All that flashing and lights are actually killing birds, they get drawn to it and then they get lost.
Post edited June 02, 2014 by lugum
tinyE: Are you saying you don't want it to look like Vegas? :P
I for one totally agree with you.
lugum: All that flashing is actually killing birds, they get drawn to it and then they get lost.
Serves them right. Birds shouldn't be going to Las Vegas; they have more important things to do than gamble.
lugum: All that flashing is actually killing birds, they get drawn to it and then they get lost.
tinyE: Serves them right. Birds shouldn't be going to Las Vegas; they have more important things to do than gamble.
dunno, ive had plenty of good times with birds who were drunk and liked a gamble! ;)
gooberking: Probably my biggest issue is trying track long running thread changes. The first time someone posts in a thread that topic gets put in the "Topics I've participated in list." Eventually, that entry gets bumped off the list by new posts. It would be nice if this list better reflected recent activity, and not just what topic I'm new to, but what I've actually been active in. There are a few long running threads I keep an eye on, and it's much harder to follow an old topic even if you are actively participating in it. Those are very handy links, but I often find they are woefully out of sync with what I'm actually doing. Pinning selected topics would be be another way. I really don't care how to track old topics, just that there is a supplied method that works.
Nobake: You can currently mark threads as favorites, putting them in a list right above "Topics I've Participated in" on the Community landing page. Despite this, I would agree that the list of topics you've participated in could still use a more intelligent ordering.

----------------------------------

Count me in on search being terrible. Its completely useless as is.

Full access to at least my own post history would be great. I don't personally care about seeing other users' history, but I can see it being useful as kind of a background check for giveaways and such.

I'm not a fan of the way writing a post opens a new window.

I'd like to see consistency on whether games in a series are merged into one forum or not. Most are merged, but there's a few outliers. I did see the post describing the issues with this, so it may not be worth the time. I'd still like to see it.

Whenever you get around to this overhaul, I'd like some things to stay the same. I'm a big fan of the simple appearance of the forums. No flashy themes, no garish banners, no egregious abuse of signatures (because they aren't supported). In particular, if you do decide to add support for signatures, please do not allow images in them or at the very least make very restrictive size limits. Very little is more aggravating than browsing a forum with screen-long signatures with flashing gifs and whatnot.
Well then I request the "This is my favorite topic " check box be reworded to "This is A favorite topic." The fact that it sounds like you can have only one is the reason I have ignored it. Honestly something being a favorite isn't the only reason to watch it. I might hate something so much I have to keep watching it.
Nobake: In particular, if you do decide to add support for signatures, please do not allow images in them or at the very least make very restrictive size limits. Very little is more aggravating than browsing a forum with screen-long signatures with flashing gifs and whatnot.
They did add text-only signatures to the forum a while back. I think it was less than two days before they removed them again. They were not well received by the community.
Nobake: In particular, if you do decide to add support for signatures, please do not allow images in them or at the very least make very restrictive size limits. Very little is more aggravating than browsing a forum with screen-long signatures with flashing gifs and whatnot.
Wishbone: They did add text-only signatures to the forum a while back. I think it was less than two days before they removed them again. They were not well received by the community.
that's kind of silly.

anyway, I missed this thread. I guess I'll still share some thoughts that I had about the forum and problems that I've run into while using the forum, even though the site rewrite is just around the corner.

first, some things I like. I like how fast and snappy the forum is, and also the aesthetics of the forum. the whole of gog.com is very fast despite using a lot of dynamic web things and also the aesthetics of everything are pretty nice.

the search function, though, is ass. you should at least be able to sort your results. you cannot sort by date even which would be particularly useful. filters would be nice, so we can search more specifically. another problem is that search criteria in one tab seems to be universally applied. so if I'm in another thread on another tab the search criteria filters the thread. not good, but I understand if that maybe is not the easiest thing to fix?

the favorite feature is nice, and mitigates some of this, but that is an unusual feature and you see less of that in conventional forum software, so I don't tend to use it. it also requires a certain amount of conscious forethought on whether or not I'll want to get back to this thread later. I would think it far more useful to be able to favorite a certain post.

I don't really see any problems with rep. I talked about rep somewhat negatively in another forum, but I don't really have any problems with gog's current rep system. I don't see an easy way to fix the things that could be considered wrong with it. you might just introduce new problems. the rep system is so simple at the moment, I think because that there are certain downsides to it anyway just indicate that there are going to be some problems with any system you have. you could decouple rep from post-count I guess. maybe weight votes higher than posts. so each post is a .25 and a vote is a 1 or 2 and so on.

I wish there was some built-in site mechanism to view bonus content. I understand if some do not appreciate this, and I also believe that the ability to download archives should not be taken away. but sometimes downloading zips is a bit cumbersome. depends on the type of bonus content, really.

there definitely should be an in-browser method to view and choose avatars for the forum. that would kickback to you guys, too.

another problem for me is that gogmixes are kind of out of the way. you encourage them, but there is no place to go to view them. look at a list of the top ones. sort by genre or so on. they exist in this semi-hidden state. the only way I know to get to them is on the right of the page for a game you're looking at or when linked directly.

the DLC system you have is sub-optimal. this is a kind of way putting it publicly on the forum. I think you must realize. you can really see why with some of the games that have more DLC here. I'm speaking mainly from a perspective of viewing on the store, not for managing DLC you have downloaded, of which I have little experience.

that's pretty much all I can think of right now.
I just noticed the "Color scheme" selector at the top of the forum.

*click*

My eyes! MY EYES!!!

Sorry. I probably noticed it when I first joined here, with similar results. I'm sure some folks use the Bright mode, but I expect most gamers find the Dark mode a natural fit.

Still, nice that you offer a choice! So this isn't really a suggestion or anything useful, just an observation.
IAmSinistar: I just noticed the "Color scheme" selector at the top of the forum.

*click*

My eyes! MY EYES!!!

Sorry. I probably noticed it when I first joined here, with similar results. I'm sure some folks use the Bright mode, but I expect most gamers find the Dark mode a natural fit.

Still, nice that you offer a choice! So this isn't really a suggestion or anything useful, just an observation.
Did you know you can buy games here?
tinyE: Did you know you can buy games here?
Which thread is that in?
Based on my short time here, there appear to be two needed improvements:

FORUM
- "Please wait. Processing..." issue needs to be fixed when submitting replies. This appears to be a common issue.

ALL OF GOG.COM
- servant-1.gog.com needs to be fixed somehow. It causes 10-30 second delays in loading all GOG.com pages in Firefox (and latest version of Pale Moon with all default settings), but doesn't do that in Chrome. I don't know if others are experiencing this issue too, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were. I addressed the page loading issue today in a thread I created, and per someone's suggestion had to create an ABE script in NoScript to deny servant-1.gog.com then all the GOG.com pages finally loaded in under 2 sec in Firefox.
Trekker26: FORUM
- "Please wait. Processing..." issue needs to be fixed when submitting replies. This appears to be a common issue.
Two are the most common reasons for this issue to appear.

1) Incorrect quote tags. Usually a /quote missing.
2) Links with a low rep account. As a spam prevention measure, accounts require a minimum amount of rep (7?) before being able to post links, but there isn't a message about it.

It is of course possible that every now and then a post will get hit by this issue without any of the above reasons, but it's not a common occurrence.
Thanks for sharing two common reasons and one uncommon reason that might occur. Mine was due to incorrect quote tags somehow, even though I'm familiar with coding. I had to clear cache after each "Please wait. Processing..." caused a stalling, nonresponsive window. If I didn't clear the cache, even closing the nonresponsive window and starting a new reply still would yield a nonresponsive "Please wait. Processing..." no matter what. There are two issues I hope GOG can address: (1) nonresponsiveness of the window, (2) no error message regarding quote tags.

This has to do with why members may find themselves unable to reply for over 10 minutes or even hours sometimes while in midst of a forum discussion, unless they knew of the clearing cache trick.

So I'm hoping GOG can address this sometimes. When they feel like it, of course.
IAmSinistar: I'm sure some folks use the Bright mode,
Nobody.
IAmSinistar: I'm sure some folks use the Bright mode,
Telika: Nobody.
I just tried it and I kinda like it.